Exotic Open World Reaper optimal gear (bought)?

Pacificterror.7805

Hitting level 80 on my first character (Necro) soon and starting to look into the best (feasible) gear set up that I can buy from the trading post.

I don't mind grinding a bit for gold if I can't buy it immediately. I play very casually so am looking at exotic. I gather from reading that the set I'll want to buy is the Berserker's Exalted Armor but in reading I don't seem to find much about trinkets etc so was hoping for guidance on the subject. Not sure what kind of weapon choices there are in the way of axe/dagger but that should be more straightforward for me to figure out myself.

As I'm extremely casual I'll be gearing toward solo open world - long term I may try to grind for Ascended but it's nice knowing I may be able to afford a decent loadout prior to that kind of play.

Thanks for any input.

Go for berserker gear. The overall performance boost when going from masterwork to exotic is quite large, so while it might seem scary going with berserker stats at first, you'll find yourself to be quite durable. Also, the raw power it gives will let you rip everything's head off. It is really easy to change utilities and traits, so if you find yourself having trouble surviving you can swap out a few of those for more defense. Going for berserker lets you kill things faster, which gets you more loot per play session and lets you do more things in a day overall.

The only thing you'll find yourself having any trouble on is soloing bounty champions and some other group events. For those, you'd have to go for a completely different set and tactics that exist mostly to solo bounties.

Sticking to Solo open world do you mean going onto HoT and PoF, anyway normally I would not recommend Berserker to any sort of new 80 casual player, but on a Necro 100% yes.You can also go Condi with Rabid or Dire gear, coming from a player who just likes to run around in PvE on multiple classes Necro by far (Reaper/Scourge)is the most face tank and easy class to play.All 3 of these sets are really cheap on the TP I think Dire gear sets are like 55 silver and only the weapons are about 1 Gold each

Valkyrie and other power-based equipment is cheaper than Berserker if you need to save silver until you can get a full set of exotic berserker a piece at a time.

Do not forget to add superior power-based runes. Scholar is typical but you can start with cheaper alternatives until you have full exotic berserker and can add a final set of more expensive runes. It is important to have a full set even while replacing armor pieces because the stat increase is not small.

Get sigils and consumables that support power damage, too.

@Anchoku.8142 said:Valkyrie and other power-based equipment is cheaper than Berserker if you need to save silver until you can get a full set of exotic berserker a piece at a time.

Do not forget to add superior power-based runes. Scholar is typical but you can start with cheaper alternatives until you have full exotic berserker and can add a final set of more expensive runes. It is important to have a full set even while replacing armor pieces because the stat increase is not small.

Get sigils and consumables that support power damage, too.

Thanks so much for mentioning runes and sigils - I was not thinking about them at all.

I have a pretty good idea of what to aim for now both in terms of gold grinding and the gear outcome I'm looking for. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Go for full Berserkers if you feel comfortable with it. Remember to take Life Force traits/Signet so you can spam Shroud. If you're a little less confident but still want good DPS you can swap in some parts of Valkyrie or maybe even Soldier's.

Just keep Power maxed, crit rate 40% minimum (without Fury), and have some Might stacking.

Marauder's is superior, and you don't need to craft it. You can get stat-selectable gear boxes for Exotic armor from Verdant Brink, stat-select Rare weapons from Bandit weapons off the Trading Post, and stat-select Ascended trinkets from LS3/LS4 maps. Don't worry too much about the quality differences, anything above Rares is fine for any game mode (except Fractals, which require Ascended gear).

If you're not too confident and would like a tankier option, Reaper and Scourge builds can live forever while doing good DPS with Minions, especially Reaper which can create alot of Minions with Lich runes, Eternal Life trait and "Rise!" Shout. They can tie Carapace stacks to these builds and have alot of armor as a result, often 4k+ with the Sigil of Momentum. Cavalier/Knight's gear mixes up well for this.

For condition builds, make sure you have Chilling Darkness and Deathly Chill traits, and the Carapace traits related to Poison. These kinds of builds probably work best with a Carrion/Rabid mix, or even Rampager for glassier damage.

Remember that armor & weapons are half your stats, and trinkets are the other half.

You can use http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ to buildcraft.

@"Hannelore.8153" said:Go for full Berserkers if you feel comfortable with it. Remember to take Life Force traits/Signet so you can spam Shroud. If you're a little less confident but still want good DPS you can swap in some parts of Valkyrie or maybe even Soldier's.

Just keep Power maxed, crit rate 40% minimum (without Fury), and have some Might stacking.

Marauder's is superior, and you don't need to craft it. You can get stat-selectable gear boxes for Exotic armor from Verdant Brink, stat-select Rare weapons from Bandit weapons off the Trading Post, and stat-select Ascended trinkets from LS3/LS4 maps. Don't worry too much about the quality differences, anything above Rares is fine for any game mode (except Fractals, which require Ascended gear).

If you're not too confident and would like a tankier option, Reaper and Scourge builds can live forever while doing good DPS with Minions, especially Reaper which can create alot of Minions with Lich runes, Eternal Life trait and "Rise!" Shout. They can tie Carapace stacks to these builds and have alot of armor as a result, often 4k+ with the Sigil of Momentum. Cavalier/Knight's gear mixes up well for this.

For condition builds, make sure you have Chilling Darkness and Deathly Chill traits, and the Carapace traits related to Poison. These kinds of builds probably work best with a Carrion/Rabid mix, or even Rampager for glassier damage.

Remember that armor & weapons are half your stats, and trinkets are the other half.

You can use http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ to buildcraft.

Thanks so much for the wealth of information on alternative build options.