Burning is abusive

anjo.6143

Problem about this whole thread is that if burn gets nerfed people will complain about the bunker meta that will result afterwards, where healbreakers and other tanks fulltank points and nothing happens the whole match. The class that utilizes burn the most - Guardians - only do so since their power damage has become an absolute joke. Before symbols were nerfed not a single Guard had to rely on sacrificing sustain and stacking burn with Sword of Justice, but instead they had a way of ditching out damage with the little mobility they had and this source of damage got taken away on EVERY mainhand weapon set. Nerf burn on Guardians without giving back some form of Power Damage will result in Guardians being either unplayable offensively or they will run as full tanks which will contribute to the bunker meta that has established itself and will be stronger than ever if Burn Guards disappear.

Either way - it doesn't change the fact that the positioning and way of playing of some people needs improvement. I hardly feel pressured by Burn Guards, because I actually run cleanses, don't jump onto points without a brain and am able to kite against the lowest mobility class in the game, but I feel pressured when a Herald can chase me through a whole map and hits 9K damage with a single skill. What I am saying is that burn only is a problem for less skilled players

Also don't forget one thing - the gimmick known as Burn DH was only made possible through the constant and massive overnerfs ArenaNet has hit Guardians with in the past year - Firebrand got slaughtered, Core Guard got slaughtered - the only option for Guardians is to swap classes or stop playing if Burn also gets hit

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Ragnar.4257" said:Sorry, but that's nonsense.

You've chosen a skill that does multiple hits, and compared it to an imaginary skill that does 1 hit. Why not compare it to Mighty Blow or Eviscerate?

Why not compare it to another skill that has multiple hits? Like a ranger trap, sword of justice, plaguelands, caltrops etc etc etc Those don't just hit once and dump all their damage up front, they need to hit multiple times to give the full efffect. Exactly the same as rapid-fire, you can eat the first hit of those and dodge the rest, mitigating the damage.

In gave you the perfect example, you get hit once you get the condition ticks for long time. Caltrops will apply 10s bleeds, You get hit once and you will be bleeding for a long time. A viper nest will poison you for 8 seconds for each hit.Igniting Burst will burn you for 5 seconds. Grasping Dead will apply 12 seconds of bleeding. Autoattacks like Blood Curse will stack 5s bleeds every 1/2 second.

With such long durations is very easy to stack any amount of ticking conditions which can not keep cleansing. So unless all classes cleanses all conditions with dodges the mechanic is OP for PvP modes and needs to be fixed.

As I said: the easiest is to give a buff which blocks any new incoming conditions for short time when actively cleansed. So if you cleansed burning you will be safe from new incoming burns for some seconds And use the stack system to make the buff longer will be positive for balance as it would reward the player for cleansing the condition bursts. The skill ceiling will be higher as condi builds currently are very forgiving with sets like Trailblazers and Dire in WvW and Rabid and Carrion in sPvP, and after this they will need to be careful when to apply the burst. Hey the same as power builds needs to keep an eye for immunities.

And this magically would fix the perma-stun lockdowns as after breaking stun you would get 1 second of immunity to react.

I would set the limit for this buff duration of 5s by condition in sPvP and 10s by condition in wvw.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Ragnar.4257" said:Sorry, but that's nonsense.

You've chosen a skill that does multiple hits, and compared it to an imaginary skill that does 1 hit. Why not compare it to Mighty Blow or Eviscerate?

Why not compare it to another skill that has multiple hits? Like a ranger trap, sword of justice, plaguelands, caltrops etc etc etc Those don't just hit once and dump all their damage up front, they need to hit multiple times to give the full efffect. Exactly the same as rapid-fire, you can eat the first hit of those and dodge the rest, mitigating the damage.

In gave you the perfect example, you get hit once you get the condition ticks for long time.
will apply 10s bleeds, You get hit once and you will be bleeding for a long time. A
will poison you for 8 seconds for each hit.
will burn you for 5 seconds.
will apply 12 seconds of bleeding. Autoattacks like
will stack 5s bleeds every 1/2 second.

With such long durations is very easy to stack any amount of ticking conditions which can not keep cleansing.
So unless all classes cleanses all conditions with dodges the mechanic is OP for PvP modes and needs to be fixed

As I said:
the easiest is to give a buff which blocks any new incoming conditions for short time when actively cleansed. So if you cleansed burning you will be safe from new incoming burns for some seconds
And use the stack system to make the buff longer will be positive for balance as it would reward the player for cleansing the condition bursts. The skill ceiling will be higher as condi builds currently are very forgiving with sets like Trailblazers and Dire in WvW and Rabid and Carrion in sPvP, and after this they will need to be careful when to apply the burst. Hey the same as power builds needs to keep an eye for immunities.

And this magically would fix the perma-stun lockdowns as after breaking stun you would get 1 second of immunity to react.

I would set the limit for this buff duration of 5s by condition in sPvP and 10s by condition in wvw.

The damage has already been done. If you get a 8s poison on you, you've already received the damage, it just has a delayed arrival. It's not doing any "new" damage, you've already received it.

It's like saying that you can't dodge Pulmonary Impact, because it has a delayed arrival. No, you dodge the skill that applied the Pulmonary Impact.

The damage per-tick is also proportionally lower than power attacks, it's the total from all ticks that adds up to being comparable. A power attack does 5k damage up front, a condi attack does 1k damage per second for 5s = 5k damage. The condition attack doesn't magically do more damage just because it happens over a period of time. Both of them do 5k.

You guys don't understand the real problem.

Burn damage is crazy strong and stack too much, that is a true.

But the real problem is how it's easy to be applied.

With most power builds if you use your burst skills, let's say Sevenshot, if you reflect it or dodge it you are okay.

If you cleanse 10 stacks of burn, few moments later you have another 10, you cleanse them too, next skill or just autoattack spam will give you another solid stack.

This is the real problem, too easy to spam and apply with zero drawbacks.

@"Ragnar.4257" said:The damage has already been done. If you get a 8s poison on you, you've already received the damage, it just has a delayed arrival. It's not doing any "new" damage, you've already received it.

It's like saying that you can't dodge Pulmonary Impact, because it has a delayed arrival. No, you dodge the skill that applied the Pulmonary Impact.

The damage per-tick is also proportionally lower than power attacks, it's the total from all ticks that adds up to being comparable. A power attack does 5k damage up front, a condi attack does 1k damage per second for 5s = 5k damage. The condition attack doesn't magically do more damage just because it happens over a period of time. Both of them do 5k.

I get your point but still you see the damage like "it is already done" when is not the case. The examples i gave you are exactly that case: You get hit once with the rapidfire and then you get the full damage of the channel overtime. Damage which also stacks with other Rapid Fires.

Think Soulbeast get OWP as passive now and every attack triggers the skill but instead ticking once ticks 4 times. 4 seconds is well below average duration. 1K damage is about 2 burning from a Dire set like this one, which you will keep at least 2 stacks of burning on you at all times against this build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAEl/lFw6YIsN2IO+KarNA-z1IY8o+PISqAnppBfaA-wIn sPvPhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAEl/lFw6YIsN2IO+KarNA-zZoCikKwZA

I use burning as example but the same happens with torment and confusion and many other builds. 1K bleeds can be achieved very easy in a condi build where you will need just 3 bleeds to achieve that. It is very easy to get constant ticks well over 1K for just moving around or the auto attacks.

One Wolf Pack well the condi version would be instead ticking once it would tick for the next 4 seconds and staking with following attacks. The current 1K damage tick is well within low side of the bleeds damage you may get from almost any condi build.

If you don't think a passive OWP for the soulbeast is fine why should it be ticking conditions.

@whoknocks.4935 said:If you cleanse 10 stacks of burn, few moments later you have another 10, you cleanse them too, next skill or just autoattack spam will give you another solid stack.This is the real problem, too easy to spam and apply with zero drawbacks.Exactly my point, as such to have a buff (let's say the same icon as the condition but in blue) when you get a condition cleansed so the same condition can not be applied for some seconds (depending on the stacks) would be the perfect solution. It is the same problem for any other condition in game.

You cleansing a condi burst would be the same effect as reflecting a seven shot but overtime. You would be immune to those conditions for some time. You cleansing 2 stacks would not have the same effect as cleansing 10.

@"anduriell.6280" said:

well the condi version would be instead ticking once it would tick for the next 4 seconds and staking with following attacks. The current 1K damage tick is well within low side of the bleeds damage you may get from almost any condi build.

If you don't think a passive OWP for the soulbeast is fine why should it be ticking conditions.

If the power damage of Soulbest was reduced as a trade-off, and if Cleanse could remove OWP, sure, why not? Being able to do sticky uncleansable OWP damage AND be able to drop 10k rapid-fires and 8k Mauls would be pretty stupid.

Its a pretty stupid comparison to take a build doing big power damage AND "passive" condi damage, and compare it to a build that ONLY does "passive" condi damage. Like....... really?

Honestly MMO forums are such a drag these days...just individuals asking for nerfs on anything that kills them.....those same people then try to defend their toy when it gets too OP as nothing can kill them.

"My profession takes skills.....yours doesn't"...that's like the line of almost every individual in this forum, it was fun at time to go through these pages but honestly.....it's not even fun anymore...god

"Oh ranger killed me from 1500 range.....OP.....ele killed me with burning...OP.......guardian killed me with burning.....OP.........thief bursted me .........OP..........." here let me give you the perfect solution :

https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/skyrim

Then after you install it...use these :

https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/PC_Console_Command_Cheats

Let me tell you one more thing : most of you don't become better at playing with time....everything else around you gets exponentially worst with Anet going even as far as buffing you on the other hand. People complain about burning...whatever you're running is not remotely close to be fair to play and play against that's how MMOs work and that's something I came to accept with time.

@"Ragnar.4257" said:Its a pretty stupid comparison to take a build doing big power damage AND "passive" condi damage, and compare it to a build that ONLY does "passive" condi damage. Like....... really?Condi builds can use Viper or Grieving and use power weapons as well for high output damage, the guard build use power weapons . Additionally condi builds usually does not apply only one condition, Am i Correct? So if cleanses can work on OWP any cleanse only can remove 2 stacks at once of the unlimited you can have on you.

You see how ridiculous sounds trying to defend what everybody is saying is broken in any PvP?

Anet can decide to keep nerfing the condi applications in all the skills in game and get the Ranger treatment (from 3s to 1s 66% duration reduction), power creep the cleanses in game or apply this design.

I think my suggestion is the most sensible and efficient:

• You still can apply the bursts as needed. Just keep an eye for the cleanses. No need to rework any skill.
  • Your auto attack damage will still tick as nobody will like to waste a cleanse for 1 or 2 seconds immunity.
  • The design does not need a massive rework of the skills and traits in game.
  • The design is future proof. It doesn't matter the future condition durations or burst, cleansing them will have the same effect.

Indeed Anet can decide to do nothing but that will not solve this glaring issue.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Ragnar.4257" said:Its a pretty stupid comparison to take a build doing big power damage AND "passive" condi damage, and compare it to a build that ONLY does "passive" condi damage. Like....... really?Condi builds can use Viper or Grieving and use power weapons as well for high output damage, the guard build use power weapons . Additionally condi builds usually does not apply only one condition, Am i Correct? So if cleanses can work on OWP any cleanse only can remove 2 stacks at once of the unlimited you can have on you.

You see how ridiculous sounds trying to defend what everybody is saying is broken in any PvP?

Anet can decide to keep nerfing the condi applications in all the skills in game and get the Ranger treatment (from 3s to 1s 66% duration reduction)
, power creep the cleanses in game or apply this design.

I think my suggestion is the most sensible and efficient:
  • You still can apply the bursts as needed. Just keep an eye for the cleanses. No need to rework any skill.
  • Your auto attack damage will still tick as nobody will like to waste a cleanse for 1 or 2 seconds immunity.
  • The design does not need a massive rework of the skills and traits in game.
  • The design is future proof. It doesn't matter the future condition durations or burst, cleansing them will have the same effect.

Indeed Anet can decide to do nothing but that will not solve this glaring issue.

Yeah, and power builds can use Viper or Grieving for additional condi damage. So what?

Oooooh, that's right, nobody does that because damage doesn't just come down to which amulet you equip, it also requires supporting traits, weapons, utilities, runes, etc.

@Ragnar.4257 said:I did also enjoy the comparison of a torch skill that gives stealth, blind, blast finisher and condi-cleanse as well as burning to 5 targets, to a torch skill that does nothing but burning to 1 target.

Are you proposing to add stealth to guardian torch and make the throw a 5-target AoE?

Given the choice, most guardians would take mesmer torch in a heartbeat.

BLAST FINISHER ON TORCH LMFAO

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:

@"Ragnar.4257" said:I did also enjoy the comparison of a torch skill that gives stealth, blind, blast finisher and condi-cleanse as well as burning to 5 targets, to a torch skill that does nothing but burning to 1 target.

Are you proposing to add stealth to guardian torch and make the throw a 5-target AoE?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Prestige

??

@Ragnar.4257 said:

@Ragnar.4257 said:I did also enjoy the comparison of a torch skill that gives stealth, blind, blast finisher and condi-cleanse as well as burning to 5 targets, to a torch skill that does nothing but burning to 1 target.

??

It has 3s delay, you can't use it to blast anything 'cause by the time blast procs the field is gone. Besides (but that's another matter), as a mesmer you only have access to chaos fields whose utility is questionable at best :( it's a blast on paper only, in practice you don't ever get to blast anything with that

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:

??

It has 3s delay, you can't use it to blast anything 'cause by the time blast procs the field is gone. Besides (but that's another matter), as a mesmer you only have access to chaos fields whose utility is questionable at best :( it's a blast on paper only, in practice you don't ever get to blast anything with that

I mean, blast finisher wasn't the only thing on that list. I listed all of the things that Prestige does. Are you denying that Prestige gives stealth, blind, blast finisher and condi-cleanse as well as burning to 5 targets?

I stand by my statement that, given the choice on a guardian build, I would ALWAYS pick mesmer-torch over guard-torch if it was an option.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

??

I mean, blast finisher wasn't the only thing on that list. I listed all of the things that Prestige does. Are you denying that Prestige gives stealth, blind, blast finisher and condi-cleanse as well as burning to 5 targets?

I stand by my statement that, given the choice on a guardian build, I would ALWAYS pick mesmer-torch over guard-torch if it was an option.

The other things were cool and good and I didn't say anything about them. But torch 5 is an absolute nightmare to use.

@Terrorhuz.4695 said:

??

The other things were cool and good and I didn't say anything about them

So what was the point of saying anything at all?

@Ragnar.4257 said:

??

The other things were cool and good and I didn't say anything about them

So what was the point of saying anything at all?

For all pratical purposes torch 4 is not a blast finisher, that's it. Didn't say anything about everything else you said about torch 4, which is pretty much on point.

Uff this escalated quickly . I'm not sure what I should say.First yes you can't clear simply away fire condition but this also applies to nearly all condi builds because they can reapply their condi quickly. Reason for this is the munition system which came partially from PoF but which is not PoF only

Yes for core Guard in general we talking about torch 4 and the SoJ which are available for all variants.Yes torch 4 is only a mini munition system with practically 2 loads(but unblockable).SoJ the amount of fire condition you get stacks like crazy from it until the first fire condition run out.

Condi DH is mostly used because it has also good cc or better pulsing cc with bow 5 and with the trapper rune it getting close the old Mirage jumping out of the stealth cc you and condi overload = kill but I must say it is not this fast like Mirage back in the days. On the other hand the missing stabi is what screw everyone up against it.

Condi FB has even more munition systems with the tomb 1 and the condi mantra which is nerfed and less cc (but ax 3 and tomb 1-3 ). basically this is the build with the theoretically highest burst in PvP since Soulbeast falls flat through nerfs.

Condi Weaver since the nerf to might build up it became raw to see it . Yes it use some munition system too which is promodial stance which was nerfed some time ago.Condi Tempest well this what I play like others said yes I use fire fields but also my fire overload to do fire condition but I also have access to hard and soft cc with my build so I can people fixate in the fire fields . The point is my skills are slow(AND HAVE BIG ANIMATIONS), I have no munition system(and create a run away effect like SoJ) I need to change attunment when my skills are in CD.

But yes if you staying still I will take you apart with the same dmg an Condi DH has .(or maybe more)

The point is those builds works so well because they are besides modification copy of PvE builds which are unerfed or mostly unerfed in PvP.Aas a result with start of this season I had in every matchup DHs .

@anduriell.6280 said:As I said: the easiest is to give a buff which blocks any new incoming conditions for short time when actively cleansed. So if you cleansed burning you will be safe from new incoming burns for some seconds And use the stack system to make the buff longer will be positive for balance as it would reward the player for cleansing the condition bursts. The skill ceiling will be higher as condi builds currently are very forgiving with sets like Trailblazers and Dire in WvW and Rabid and Carrion in sPvP, and after this they will need to be careful when to apply the burst. Hey the same as power builds needs to keep an eye for immunities.

Change resistance to also prevent the applications of conditions and give condition cleanse resistance. But also change breakstuns to include stability to prevent being perma stunned.

Burning could be nerfed in number of stacks, its duration is fine as it is, maybe it could be longer as balance for less stacks. Adding second effect: burning endurance, 1 stack= -1 endurance per second, so 10 stacks= -10 endurance per second, as return, there could be long cooldowns of spells that apply burning and with less stacks it wouldn't be that OP as you can evade spell that will proc burning or just cleanse it.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

@"anduriell.6280" said:

well the condi version would be instead ticking once it would tick for the next 4 seconds and staking with following attacks. The current 1K damage tick is well within low side of the bleeds damage you may get from almost any condi build.

If the power damage of Soulbest was reduced as a trade-off, and if Cleanse could remove OWP, sure, why not? Being able to do sticky uncleansable OWP damage AND be able to drop 10k rapid-fires and 8k Mauls would be pretty stupid.

Its a pretty stupid comparison to take a build doing big power damage AND "passive" condi damage, and compare it to a build that ONLY does "passive" condi damage. Like....... really?

Here is an interesting look at a bit of truth beyond the psychology of these power vs. condi debacles:

Imagine how much more it would piss people off, if Maul & WI dealt the same exact damage that they did now, but it happened over the course of 10 seconds. So I hit a guy with Maul into WI and then he tries to run away, only to watch his health pool disappear over the course of 10s as he teleports away around a corner and completely disengages me, but still goes into downstate. There is something about "Getting away but then still dying" that really triggers people. And as much as some would not want to admit this, it is absolutely 100% true.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Here is an interesting look at a bit of truth beyond the psychology of these power vs. condi debacles:

Imagine how much more it would kitten people off, if Maul & WI dealt the same exact damage that they did now, but it happened over the course of 10 seconds. So I hit a guy with Maul into WI and then he tries to run away, only to watch his health pool disappear over the course of 10s as he teleports away around a corner and completely disengages me, but still goes into downstate. There is something about "Getting away but then still dying" that really triggers people. And as much as some would not want to admit this, it is absolutely 100% true.Agreed some peeps think of condi like "damage already done overtime" but they would not consider the same for power damage because that would be outrageous.

When the Feb balance patch happened all power damage and sustain was nerfed but not the condi output and damage. As such Conditions are overtuned at the moment and it should be addressed.

I don't understand why that concept is that is that difficult to grasp.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Here is an interesting look at a bit of truth beyond the psychology of these power vs. condi debacles:

Imagine how much more it would kitten people off, if Maul & WI dealt the same exact damage that they did now, but it happened over the course of 10 seconds. So I hit a guy with Maul into WI and then he tries to run away, only to watch his health pool disappear over the course of 10s as he teleports away around a corner and completely disengages me, but still goes into downstate. There is something about "Getting away but then still dying" that really triggers people. And as much as some would not want to admit this, it is absolutely 100% true.Agreed some peeps think of condi like "damage already done overtime" but they would not consider the same for power damage because that would be outrageous.

When the Feb balance patch happened all power damage and
sustain
was nerfed but not the condi output and damage. As such Conditions are overtuned at the moment and it should be addressed.

I don't understand why that concept is that is that difficult to grasp.

Ummmm, he wasn't agreeing with you.

If Maul did the exact same total damage over 10s rather than instantly, nothing would change with regards Ranger's strength. Infact, if anything, it would become weaker, because it would give people a chance to heal through it. But it would result in a whole lot more people whinging about it.

While we're on the subject of Ranger: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hunter%27s_Call

Is everyone crying about how OP this is?

And I already said I'd be fine with Power damage happening over time (as, in fact, it does already on some skills). But you seem to have ignored that.

@anduriell.6280 said:

Imagine how much more it would kitten people off, if Maul & WI dealt the same exact damage that they did now, but it happened over the course of 10 seconds. So I hit a guy with Maul into WI and then he tries to run away, only to watch his health pool disappear over the course of 10s as he teleports away around a corner and completely disengages me, but still goes into downstate. There is something about "Getting away but then still dying" that really triggers people. And as much as some would not want to admit this, it is absolutely 100% true.When the Feb balance patch happened all power damage and
sustain
was nerfed but not the condi output and damage.

This is just false...

As such Conditions are overtuned at the moment and it should be addressed.I don't understand why that concept is that is that difficult to grasp.

Because they aren't.Stop conflating burn guards strength with conditions being strong overall.

If condi was universally strong there would be more builds using them. I see no complaints about condi warrior, condi engi, condi ranger etc etc. Whenever a condi build is strong these threads pop up that conditions are a problem and when asked why often to almost always the build(s) that is a problem is referenced as the reason. Every. Single. Time.

Complaints about condi due to fire ele, fire ele nerfed, complaintss stop.Complaints about condi due to mirage and condi theif, where are they now after the enrfs?Complaints about condi due to scourge...would you look at that..

I mean look at the thread and its title. Is burning abusing or complained about because 7/9 classes have access to it and its being used to wreck people on all of them or is it 1 of those that's causing the issue?

When burn guard sees some nerfs or falls out the meta /cheese pick the same thing will happen.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

Imagine how much more it would kitten people off, if Maul & WI dealt the same exact damage that they did now, but it happened over the course of 10 seconds. So I hit a guy with Maul into WI and then he tries to run away, only to watch his health pool disappear over the course of 10s as he teleports away around a corner and completely disengages me, but still goes into downstate. There is something about "Getting away but then still dying" that really triggers people. And as much as some would not want to admit this, it is absolutely 100% true.When the Feb balance patch happened all power damage and
sustain
was nerfed but not the condi output and damage.

This is just false...

As such Conditions are overtuned at the moment and it should be addressed.I don't understand why that concept is that is that difficult to grasp.

Because they aren't.Stop conflating burn guards strength with conditions being strong overall.

If condi was universally strong there would be more builds using them. I see no complaints about condi warrior, condi engi, condi ranger etc etc. Whenever a condi build is strong these threads pop up that conditions are a problem and when asked why often to almost always the build(s) that is a problem is referenced as the reason. Every. Single. Time.

Complaints about condi due to fire ele, fire ele nerfed, complaintss stop.Complaints about condi due to mirage and condi theif, where are they now after the enrfs?Complaints about condi due to scourge...would you look at that..

I mean look at the thread and its title. Is burning abusing or complained about because 7/9 classes have access to it and its being used to wreck people on all of them or is it 1 of those that's causing the issue?

When burn guard sees some nerfs or falls out the meta /cheese pick the same thing will happen.

im abusing my 1 burn stack on torch what do you mean.it hard carriers, all condis OPOP all hail condis