Can we please have the option to disable/enable glider?

Figured I'd actually make a thread on it rather than continuing to mention it in passing. Basically I enjoy exploration and somehow that lead to enjoying jumping, which lead to jumping puzzles, and then trying to master that skill. I want to progress through the game in order of the story but that forces me to get the glider which is then forever tied to my jumping keybind. I know this is very niche, but there are certain unofficial challenges or activities that i've observed friends and other players in general with the glider finding impossible or being hindered because it keeps getting unintentionally activated (things like JP speed running, Guild Hall JPs, pixel jumps, climbing certain structure etc). It seems like it would be an easy thing to give players the option of having their glider active or not, like a check box in the equipment menu much the same as you have for miniatures. JPs already even force disabled glider on people, so just an option to turn that debuff on maybe? Or else just give it an option to be keybound to something other than what jump is keybound to. AFAIK the game doesn't force you onto a mount if you hit w in succession too quickly because it suspects you want to go faster. Likewise; because I pushed space-bar in succession quickly, doesn't necessarily mean I wanted to start flying.

This is all I want for christmas please and thankyou :3 ... seemed more appropriate to bring it up with SAB though.

• 8 months later...

In the Armistice Bastion jp, it is obvious anet messes with the glider deployment in game as part of game design. When anet wants you to glide it instantly deploys when you jump, regardless of what you are trying to do. Although I would love to be able to toggle glider deployment on/off... at this point, it might not even be possible with how deeply gliders have been integrated into the game code.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Please use the forums search function. Topic has already been discussed.

Are you using copy paste for this comment so that you don't even realize that the person apparently used the search function ^^''?

If they had, then they would know that pretty much everything they posted has already been discussed in previous threads on the topic and doesn't really add anything new. /shrugs

@kharmin.7683 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Please use the forums search function. Topic has already been discussed.

Are you using copy paste for this comment so that you don't even realize that the person apparently used the search function ^^''?

If they had, then they would know that pretty much everything they posted has already been discussed in previous threads on the topic and doesn't really add anything new. /shrugs

So that's your way of saying be quiet others have already said the same thing and that's why YOU'RE not allowed to express your opinion on it anymore?

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

So that's your way of saying be quiet others have already said the same thing and that's why YOU'RE not allowed to express your opinion on it anymore?

No, it's my way of saying that the topic already exists and that others should read those before posting new threads which offer nothing new to the conversation.

@kharmin.7683 said:

No, it's my way of saying that the topic already exists and that others should read those before posting new threads which offer nothing new to the conversation.

But she didn't post a new thread oo. She has replied to an old thread which in her opinion perhaps fit more to her topic or which was shown to her first in her search.The thread is from April and PalladanJenkins.9761 has replied to the TE.

i think kharmin is saying the topic has been discussed before and so a new thread wasn't required. However, I think this is proabably the first time rebinding the key for the glider has been brought up as part of the main topic. Also unless the community facing members of anet staff have hyperthymesia, i think 8 months, and over a year before that is a decent enough time gap before bringing up the topic again? IDK maybe not. Not sure what the rules are around these parts on necroing threads or reposting an already discussed topic.

@"Ahrya.3097" said:i think kharmin is saying the topic has been discussed before and so a new thread wasn't required. However, I think this is proabably the first time rebinding the key for the glider has been brought up as part of the main topic. Also unless the community facing members of anet staff have hyperthymesia, i think 8 months, and over a year before that is a decent enough time gap before bringing up the topic again? IDK maybe not. Not sure what the rules are around these parts on necroing threads or reposting an already discussed topic.

Correct. Rebinding a key for the glider would be more of a QoL suggestion anyway, which should be in the QoL thread conveniently stickied at the top of this forum. /shrug

EDIT: Rules for necro'ing threads can be found here https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/342/save-forum-moderation-and-infraction-system

Personally, I wouldn't mind a glider toggle function. Sure, it's useful, but sometimes I want to explore the world without it and unlike with mounts it's more or less become a twitch reflex for some players.

@"kharmin.7683" said:i think starting a new thread with new comments or opinions would be just fine. Problem is, most thread necro's are nothing more than another re-hashing of the points already made in the thread. Akin to "me too". Which adds nothing new.

The irony is, by continually posting "this has been posted before, it could be seen as spam/deconstructive/off topic/derailing - especially derailing. I mean, do you see what happened to this thread? It turned from an enable glider thread into a "Y U ALWAYS DO THIS KHARMIN" thread. If that isn't derailing, I don't know what is.

Plus, I think your position is a bit harsh, since the player in question must have used the search feature to find a thread from half a year ago.