A Butler for the home instance

Balsa.3951

@kharmin.7683 said:Yeah, nothing adverse could happen to the economy from this suggestion.

Well it's in a way a gold sink, the home instance gather value is nothing u can not get in the open world anyway.

(or in ur home instance urself, it's a pure QOL item)

It affects the economy the same as endless gathering tools do already.But curious to know ur opinion what u mean it will disturb the economy, I admit I didn't think that much through.

@Balsa.3951 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Yeah, nothing adverse could happen to the economy from this suggestion.

Well it's in a way a gold sink, the home instance gather value is nothing u can not get in the open world anyway.Not really a gold sink if you need only purchase it once.

It affects the economy the same as endless gathering tools do already.But curious to know ur opinion what u mean it will disturb the economy, I admit I didn't think that much through.Endless gathering tools may have had an impact on the economy, but players still have to actively go to a node and farm it. Many players may not take the opportunity to do this each and every time that they log on. Your proposal would basically give mats to players for "free" without any effort. IMO, this would add more mats to the TP as people cash them in for gold which would devalue the mats. Converting gold->gems would then affect the gem prices (as well as de-incetivize players from purchasing gems with real cash), much like what was seen during the heyday of the Istan farm. Gems were a lot cheaper then than they are now (almost by half!).

@kharmin.7683 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Yeah, nothing adverse could happen to the economy from this suggestion.

Well it's in a way a gold sink, the home instance gather value is nothing u can not get in the open world anyway.Not really a gold sink if you need only purchase it once.

It affects the economy the same as endless gathering tools do already.But curious to know ur opinion what u mean it will disturb the economy, I admit I didn't think that much through.Endless gathering tools may have had an impact on the economy, but players still have to actively go to a node and farm it. Many players may not take the opportunity to do this each and every time that they log on. Your proposal would basically give mats to players for "free" without any effort. IMO, this would add more mats to the TP as people cash them in for gold which would devalue the mats. Converting gold->gems would then affect the gem prices (as well as de-incetivize players from purchasing gems with real cash), much like what was seen during the heyday of the Istan farm. Gems were a lot cheaper then than they are now (almost by half!).

i only see a good thing, this makes stuff less overpriced and actual casuals can play normally.

@kharmin.7683 said:

I think it depends on how exactly it works. The way I imagine it working the only difference between now and using the butler is you'd go to your home instance, locate the butler and they'd give you all the items harvested from the nodes that day in one go, rather than you having to go around each node. In that case I think the impact on the economy would be minimal because players wouldn't get anything they don't get now. They'd still have to buy the nodes, log in and go to the home instance, it just cuts a few minutes off the process. It would be less effort, but not by much.

On the other hand if it was something like you get the mats mailed to you each day even if you don't log in I think that would have too many downsides, not just the impact on the economy but the fact that it removes an incentive to log into the game. I'm sure I'm not the only one who logs in intending to just do something quick like harvest home instance nodes or do the dailies and then gets drawn into doing a bunch of other stuff, so it could lead to less activity in the game as well.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Would you be able to slot Glyphs in their harvesting tool slots? Is this a walk into instance talk to butler standing right next to entrance, press F to collect everything sort of thing, or do I have to watch them run around for me?

That's an interesting point. I imagine it would be difficult to make it work with the glyphs on gathering tools (especially since players might have more than 1 set of tools, how would it know which ones to use?) but maybe that trade-off could be used to minimise the concerns some players have raised? If you have enough time (and tools with glyphs or built-in bonuses) it's better to gather everything manually so you get the extra stuff from the glyphs. But if you're rushed or just don't feel like doing it today you accept losing those bonuses in return for the convinience of faster gathering?

@kharmin.7683 said:

Good points.I can't really say if is will impact the economy, IMHO Anet prefer to sell u items in the gem store over having the mats prices devalued by an unknown %.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Would you be able to slot Glyphs in their harvesting tool slots? Is this a walk into instance talk to butler standing right next to entrance, press F to collect everything sort of thing, or do I have to watch them run around for me?

I was thinking the same,

I go into more detail how I imagine the Butler works.

The Butler is an NPC comes with the ability to be equipped with glyphs, those glyphs can be removed again by the player or exchanged for other ones. (Glyphs need be bought separate from the Butler)

The Butler can be transmuted with skins from the gemshop.

For example u buy a Skritt Butler from the Gem shop, later u get bored with that look u can buy another skin like a Golem Butler (Ghost, Bunny, Ecto Ooze... imagination is endless) that way the Butler stays a gold sink like mounts do.

FunctionalityThe Butler is a little like an SIMs NPC he has his own personality and animations. When u just visit the home instance he will walk around doing stuff like gathering or sweeping the ground. He will have some dialogues he randomly talks like NPCs in the open world do (funny ones is the hope and enough diversity that it needs a while before u heard all he has to say)

How to Gather matsAfter you arrived your home instance u get a special action key (Butler Bell), after pressing this one the Butler will run to u, it can be a few seconds till he reaches u depending on where in the home instance he is at that moment. He then has a welcome sentence like (Welcome Home Master, Dialogue will be different with each different Butler skin) U than interact with the Butler select collect mats to get ur mats.

This I imagine will give the home instance some flavor and not just be a thing must do. It also will be a nice addition when player housing arrives and people will be busy with many other things in their H.I. Than gathering mats.

@Balsa.3951 said:

Good points.
I can't really say if is will impact the economy, IMHO Anet prefer to sell u items in the gem store over having the mats prices devalued by an unknown %.

I was thinking the same,

I go into more detail how I imagine the Butler works.

The Butler is an NPC comes with the ability to be equipped with glyphs, those glyphs can be removed again by the player or exchanged for other ones. (Glyphs need be bought separate from the Butler)

The Butler can be transmuted with skins from the gemshop.

For example u buy a Skritt Butler from the Gem shop, later u get bored with that look u can buy another skin like a Golem Butler (Ghost, Bunny, Ecto Ooze... imagination is endless) that way the Butler stays a gold sink like mounts do.

Functionality
The Butler is a little like an SIMs NPC he has his own personality and animations. When u just visit the home instance he will walk around doing stuff like gathering or sweeping the ground. He will have some dialogues he randomly talks like NPCs in the open world do (funny ones is the hope and enough diversity that it needs a while before u heard all he has to say)

How to Gather mats
After you arrived your home instance u get a special action key (Butler Bell), after pressing this one the Butler will run to u, it can be a few seconds till he reaches u depending on where in the home instance he is at that moment. He then has a welcome sentence like (Welcome Home Master, Dialogue will be different with each different Butler skin) U than interact with the Butler select collect mats to get ur mats.

This I imagine will give the home instance some flavor and not just be a thing must do. It also will be a nice addition when player housing arrives and people will be busy with many other things in their H.I. Than gathering mats.

You mean
if
player housing arrives right?

@kharmin.7683 said:

How about we pay the butler some coin every day we use their service? Like the salvage-o-matics?

This would probably lead to some sales for Anet. People buying the butler (I would), and then people buying the home instance nodes because gathering would be so quick and simple.So it would have some impact on the economy, but I doubt it would be significant. GW2 does a pretty good job on the economy with the trading post, so even if more of some materials were produced, it may also result in more people buying them for whatever they need. And a fair amount of the materials (LS ones) are account bound anyways.For glyphs, could be a something in the interface where you select what glyphs/tools you want your butler to use. May for simplicity, these have to be permanent tools (more sales there), if the user doesn't have permanent tools, then only basic gathering is used (you can't buy the limited used special tools and have the butler use them)

@Fenom.9457 said:

@phokus.8934 said:Sounds awfully lot like a slave.

If the pact commander asked
you
to gather rocks and plants for him, would
you
tell him no? Didn’t think so

If he'd give me a hug and a head pet, I would totally mine rocks and plants. I love to garden and also like to destroy things. <3 (and if he gives me spicy food and sweets, that's a plus)

On topic! I would actually like that. Especially if I can have a Skritt and I can pay it with shinies junk and food. And booze.

@"Randulf.7614" said:Love it. Love it completely. As long we got plenty of inane chatter from the butler as they went around (with possibly some reactionary ones from us), this would be hilarious

When would you listen to said chatter? In the three seconds it takes you to you load into your home, click "gather all" then leave?

@lokh.2695 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:Love it. Love it completely. As long we got plenty of inane chatter from the butler as they went around (with possibly some reactionary ones from us), this would be hilarious

When would you listen to said chatter? In the three seconds it takes you to you load into your home, click "gather all" then leave?

I think the idea here is that the butler would take as long time as the average player to gather instance, so for some people it would be faster to gather yourself.