Any advice for me? (Mac GW2 User here \o/)

After Anet announced about Updated on Mac Support for GW2 broke my heart.It pretty sad for me but I understand. Curse you apple! Literally.Been playing for almost 7-8 years? and Reason I chose mac a long time ago for work professional company...

So, I m pretty to save my gw2 account until one day I got a PC. Because I still want to see the storyline process! I hate to see a cliffhanger story for me lol. [icebrood saga]

However, I would like to hear anything advice/suggest if I should buy Expansion (EoD) or straight to PC first?One month away from February 18, 2020. Also, I don't have time to able purchase a pc at the last minute.

Hope this is not too much for rambles or vent out a bit from overwhelming. \o/

Finally someone that doesn't blame Anet and sees who's really responsible fo this...

As for your question, you can still play Guild Wars 2 on your Mac pretty easily.Anet only dropped support because Apple isn't supporting OpenGL anymore and their new chips and stuff they don't have resources to code for.

But that just means there won't be a native Mac client anymore. You can still play the Windows client on the mac, espicially if you have a Mac that still uses Intel chips.If you have a Mac with Intel chips, it's pretty easy to set up a dual boot and run Windows alongside Mac OS.

One such tool is Boot Camp:https://support.apple.com/boot-camp

Just install Windows alongside MacOS and run Gw2 from Windows when you want to play. That's the easiest solution because it's native and requires no tinkering.

You can also natively install WIndows on a Mac with Intel chips and dual boot it. That way you literally run Windows, and you can keep it as your "gaming OS" when you want to game, and Mac OS for everything else.

For other solutions, check this thread:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/121721/100-unofficial-how-to-play-gw2-on-mac-os-after-the-mac-client-is-gone#latest

It has some tips you can do to run GW2.

This should work for a while yet, dual boot especially should be a more or less permanent solution should Apple remove OpenGL. This should give you time to buy a PC that you want, or, depending on your preferences, and hardware could be even a permanent solution.

Good luck!

My plan is to use some version of Wine to run it on my existing laptop. I did a quick test today (documented in that thread Veprovina linked) and it's working ok so far. This involves installing some extra software, and there may be some surprising new glitches, but you don't have to dual-boot or buy anything. I'll try to post some "benchmarks" to judge how much performance is affected later this week.

If you're not that tech saavy and don't plan on doing WvW often you can get Parallels since it supports DX9 and DX12 via Metal. If you're remotely tech saavy you can install Windows via Bootcamp. If you want "free" then install Linux and dual boot that.

Buying a PC should be a last resort. Unless you bought a recent Mac with M1 CPU, then best of luck to you.

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Finally someone that doesn't blame Anet and sees who's really responsible fo this...

As for your question, you can still play Guild Wars 2 on your Mac pretty easily.Anet only dropped support because Apple isn't supporting OpenGL anymore and their new chips and stuff they don't have resources to code for.

But that just means there won't be a native Mac client anymore. You can still play the Windows client on the mac, espicially if you have a Mac that still uses Intel chips.If you have a Mac with Intel chips, it's pretty easy to set up a dual boot and run Windows alongside Mac OS.

One such tool is Boot Camp:https://support.apple.com/boot-camp

Just install Windows alongside MacOS and run Gw2 from Windows when you want to play. That's the easiest solution because it's native and requires no tinkering.

You can also natively install WIndows on a Mac with Intel chips and dual boot it. That way you literally run Windows, and you can keep it as your "gaming OS" when you want to game, and Mac OS for everything else.

For other solutions, check this thread:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/121721/100-unofficial-how-to-play-gw2-on-mac-os-after-the-mac-client-is-gone#latest

This should work for a while yet, dual boot especially should be a more or less permanent solution should Apple remove OpenGL. This should give you time to buy a PC that you want, or, depending on your preferences, and hardware could be even a permanent solution.

Good luck!

Ok good to know I still able to play with account.

I would like to set dual boost BUT. I’m still afraid for if I dare this. My laptop may be have a issue storage if I download more. blame to IOS system eating my GB data. So I decided to try get PC because there other games that I want to play with friends and gw2 too lol. I will never thought I’m gamer XD Been play only one GW2 since. Until Anet announced. Ooof.

But thanks for your advice!

@"Infusion.7149" said:If you're not that tech saavy and don't plan on doing WvW often you can get Parallels since it supports DX9 and DX12 via Metal. If you're remotely tech saavy you can install Windows via Bootcamp. If you want "free" then install Linux and dual boot that.

Buying a PC should be a last resort. Unless you bought a recent Mac with M1 CPU, then best of luck to you.

I would check out on Parallels. But in my opinions I chose to get pc because I don’t want to use Mac with professional and games in mixture, so I want separate for my enjoy time with GW2 and friends! Probably more game I’m looking forward on GW to learn storyline.

My friend who will help me out if I want to build PC custom. They said if I need a good budget on it. I’m nervous actually but I like that idea for try.

Then I starting heard about Linux on Mac. They give me a bit pro and cons.

Thanks for advice. Cheers

If you're feeling overwhelmed by all this, I'd say wait until at least February 1st before you commit to something — other people are going to be trying stuff out, posting more detailed information about tradeoffs like stability and performance, and smoothing away some of the rough edges of more "finicky" approaches like Wine wrappers.

@"ASP.8093" said:If you're feeling overwhelmed by all this, I'd say wait until at least February 1st before you commit to something — other people are going to be trying stuff out, posting more detailed information about tradeoffs like stability and performance, and smoothing away some of the rough edges of more "finicky" approaches like Wine wrappers.

Well actually i don’t felt overwhelmed now. I asked friends to give me feel better for fun run in gw2 on last time.. until i get pc in one day! So, yes i heard about that if i can find out about February. No -Worries but I’m happy for people answer my questions. I’m not mad but looking forward!

However, i wonder if expansion released and system requirements will be remain same or different info? O,o

Thank you for concern.

@lare.5129 said:

@StarSilverZero.5673 said:After Anet announced about Updated on Mac Support for GW2 broke my heart.It pretty sad for me but I understand. Curse you apple! Literally.big train go forward. Is some passengers don't ready and don't motivate go on board - this is not train issue.

Rather go on the Huge train that go straight from point A to point B instead of this big train that move me cross country and never to my destination.

@StarSilverZero.5673 said:

@"ASP.8093" said:If you're feeling overwhelmed by all this, I'd say wait until at least February 1st before you commit to something — other people are going to be trying stuff out, posting more detailed information about tradeoffs like stability and performance, and smoothing away some of the rough edges of more "finicky" approaches like Wine wrappers.

Well actually i don’t felt overwhelmed now. I asked friends to give me feel better for fun run in gw2 on last time.. until i get pc in one day! So, yes i heard about that if i can find out about February. No -Worries but I’m happy for people answer my questions. I’m not mad but looking forward!

However, i wonder if expansion released and system requirements will be remain same or different info? O,o

Thank you for concern.

About the system req when expasion hits noone but anet knows and they havent released any info on it.

@StarSilverZero.5673 said:However, i wonder if expansion released and system requirements will be remain same or different info? O,o

The game is still running on the same old spaghetti engine and code it had back in 2012, so I don't think you'll need to worry about spec requirements when End of Dragons comes out.

Also (for better or worse) GW2 isn't a very well-optimized game, so whether you have a fancy computer or a potato, people seem to have the same problems with server lag and frame drops (Your mileage may vary of course) - This means that whatever PC you've bought (or plan to buy?) to replace your Mac should be just fine to run the game even if it isn't top-of-the-line.

Added bonus: In my experience PCs are typically less expensive than Mac machines, so yay money.

@StarSilverZero.5673 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Finally someone that doesn't blame Anet and sees who's really responsible fo this...

One such tool is Boot Camp:

For other solutions, check this thread:

Good luck!

Ok good to know I still able to play with account.

I would like to set dual boost BUT. I’m still afraid for if I dare this. My laptop may be have a issue storage if I download more. blame to IOS system eating my GB data. So I decided to try get PC because there other games that I want to play with friends and gw2 too lol. I will never thought I’m gamer XD Been play only one GW2 since. Until Anet announced. Ooof.

But thanks for your advice!

Yeah, your account is independent of what computer you played on, you just need to know your login information and you can play on any computer.Dual booting isn't that hard, but if you don't have space on your drive or something else then yeah, could be an issue.In any case, it's an option, so, you decide what's best. :smile:

@StarSilverZero.5673 said:However, I would like to hear anything advice/suggest if I should buy Expansion (EoD) or straight to PC first?One month away from February 18, 2020. Also, I don't have time to able purchase a pc at the last minute.

End of Dragons isn't available to buy yet, even for pre-order. We don't know when it will be available, but it's unlikely to be before February.

But even if it was I think you should focus on finding a way to play the game before you worry about it. There's no point paying for an expansion for a game you can't play.

having a PC is always a good idea but you don't need a 2K pc for GW2, find a ready to use PC for about 500-700 bucks and you're good to go.just make sure you have at least a i5 processor and a geforce 980 or better, that at least allows you to play on medium everything without lag.

While buying a new machine is a last resort,it should be easier to get used machines in the near future since a lot of people are going to be upgrading soon due to large leaps in hardware performance the last year. If any family or friends plan on upgrading try asking what they are going to do with their old machine and if you can get it for cheap. Just make sure you replace the power supply if it's bronze rated. Mine almost caught fire last year.

@sorudo.9054 said:having a PC is always a good idea but you don't need a 2K pc for GW2, find a ready to use PC for about 500-700 bucks and you're good to go.just make sure you have at least a i5 processor and a geforce 980 or better, that at least allows you to play on medium everything without lag.

Okay! I will keep research! Ohh! What I should avoid the specific brand for laptop? I don’t want get a wrong way. :0

Thanks for heading up!

@Tzarakiel.7490 said:While buying a new machine is a last resort,it should be easier to get used machines in the near future since a lot of people are going to be upgrading soon due to large leaps in hardware performance the last year. If any family or friends plan on upgrading try asking what they are going to do with their old machine and if you can get it for cheap. Just make sure you replace the power supply if it's bronze rated. Mine almost caught fire last year.

Okay! Thanks for advice! :D

I will checking on it! And oh fire- wow! As long you are safely!

If your hardware has the requirements to run GW2 and Windows 10 I suggest you to use bootcamp from your utility folder and create a Windows 10 partition you can use to install GW2 and play the game. Windows 10 is free and this way you save money for the next expansion without giving up the game entirely

@Pacificterror.7805 said:Other people have said it but I'd just like to reaffirm that a good option to explore is to install Windows 10 onto your Mac. This most likely end up helping you with more things than just Guild Wars and will save you $ that you would have considered putting into buying a separate machine.

Yeah, I wish I can do that on mac but I chose not. Mac Storage is closer to full capacity. So... I got someone who told me about trying on GeForce but with a subscription (i rather not pay until discount) still... works on mac and 1 hour to play. haha. I will plan to get a PC in the future.

Thanks for your advice!

FWIW - I just downloaded PlayOnMac, downloaded the Windows GW2 installer, and ran through PlayOnMac.

Once it reached the "playable" point in the download, I went into the game and ran around. So it seems to work at some level. Fonts look a bit wonky, but that could be a not-yet-downloaded thing, a setting, or just the way they look on Windows. Still totally readable and usable.

This will be a better solution than virtualization since PlayOnMac uses WINE which is more like a Windows compatibility layer, so it won't affect speed as much.

ya, sad that anet can't invest back in its players like its players continually invest in its game. have bought this game 3 times on 3 different accounts, own only macs and won't be buying a pc to run any version of windows.

Its sad when software development companies don't properly abstract their software and can't adapt to changes like when microsoft updates direct x or changes in opengl or apple's move to metal, and so they're stuck on the old and their game suffers, their users suffer.

wow this is really terrible news. guess I'll never see cantha, if it does ever indeed get released.

sad.