Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

@"klaki.4250" said:The only thing i would recommand, push the armored vehicle package on Github. So other can Contribute to and more people get to know about the dokumenation and existing of the project.

Hi, I've wanted to do that but my github skills are kinda crappy, also not sure where to begin. But to break it down this is what the package is composed of:

• Wine 5.7 + Staging Patches + FSync Patch
  • Folders: bin,lib,lib64 and share belong to the Wine build, the 'deps' folder contains a few libraries but I doubt they're required and might be removed in the future.
  • Folder 'data' is the Wine prefix itself, aside from the dxvk dll's and overrides, I've also replaced a few symbolic linked folders with actual folders to make the package portable.
  • All the files in the 'bin' folder named beginning with "user_" are the scripts I added and make up most of the settings.
  • setup.sh and setup.dat (which is just a renamed zip file) are the setup components, I made these to unzip automatically during setup to avoid confusion.
  • the arcdps_easysetup folder is also a small addition of mine to make the addon easier to install/uninstall.

That's the entire setup pretty much. ;)

After logging in, GW is entirely transparent. I'm on kubuntu KDE 20.10 on a laptop with nvidia 450.

xx1vjSB.pngPressing alt+shift+F12 fixes this issue, but is there a way for run.sh to do this automatically instead?

Edit: please ignore. Playing around with taco_linux, it appears to have made kwin rules that set the transparancy of the GW2 window. Removing these rules made the alt+shift+F12 not necessary any more.

Hi mate, here is the async patch build of dxvk 1.7.3 with the optimized SPIRV shader compilation time patch included (as per pull request #1582 ) https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/pull/1582

"uses bit::cast instead of direct memcpy, and the additional DxvkShader constructor is less verbose, passing a const SpirvModule& and building flags directly from it instead"

The build is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvsr9zzzqpsnp6o/dxvk-async-1.7.3.tar.gz?dl=0

Enjoy :)

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:Very impressive work, it also seems you put a lot of work on the installer too. :)

Thanks! ^^, It was a fun project and just evolved over time... I learnt a lot of cool bash skills lol!

@Katorone.6389 said:Edit: please ignore. Playing around with taco_linux, it appears to have made kwin rules that set the transparancy of the GW2 window. Removing these rules made the alt+shift+F12 not necessary any more.

If you run into issues please create one on gitlab if you can, that way I can respond faster and keep track of issues, someone else might find it helpful too. Also I don't check the forums often, so I might respond slower than on gitlab.

Lutris update

I have added lutris support and released gw2taco_linux_v1.1.0. It should be able to run via any of the wine versions you switch to. Also, if you use autostart=true and use run_taco.sh, it will start GW2 via the lutris runner.

I have never used it before till now.... but from the previous posts of being unable to login, it seems I have the same issue on v6.0-rc1.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

@klaki.4250 said:The only thing i would recommand, push the armored vehicle package on Github. So other can Contribute to and more people get to know about the dokumenation and existing of the project.

Hi, I've wanted to do that but my github skills are kinda crappy, also not sure where to begin. But to break it down this is what the package is composed of:

I was looking for something similar in this thread. Do you use normal Git at all? Either way I'd be happy to work with you to get something set up! Looks like @"ZenAge.4863" has some experience as well so maybe we can combine forces to get everything in one place? I think the most basic first step would be to initialize a new git repository with the current folder contents, then changes and rebases can be done a lot easier! Github/Lab would also make it way easier for users to download/"pull" the latest versions when you release them.

Edit: Another option might be to build a Lutris installer script instead, depending if you've done customization that Lutris can't? I actually found this page by following the link from an installer based on your settings, but out of date: https://lutris.net/games/install/17321/view. If most of your changes are specific Wine versions and env variables then it should be a relatively easy transition.

@Farlo.3642 said:... Looks like @"ZenAge.4863" has some experience as well so maybe we can combine forces to get everything in one place? I think the most basic first step would be to initialize a new git repository with the current folder contents, then changes and rebases can be done a lot easier! Github/Lab would also make it way easier for users to download/"pull" the latest versions when you release them.

I was following the previous messages, but tbh, im noob with git xD I still don't get how to properly work with branches, merges and don't even know what rebase is.

However, as already mentioned, a good place to start is just create the repo and dump the contents with a README, License etc. The only thing is... if there are binaries/libraries that are not yours, I think you are suppose to link them in a special way like submodules. Not sure what the rules are for having WINE's binaries/third party libs in your repo without a clear statement/link to orginal dev/source?

@Denpakei.7326 said:

@"insanelyapple.2870" said:I'm currently testing launching game with Lutris on my machine (which isn't super fast for today's standards - C2Q, 8GB RAM and GF760) under Manjaro Linux x64 and well... it seems it runs much better under Wine than it does native on Windows 10 - graphics are much better but without burden of frame drops or lagging while turning camera view around.There's one problem I cannot figure out - game launches only once after initial Lutris setup (tested out after clearing .config folder out of Lutris files) and any subsequent launch ends up with Error Code: 42:0:9001:4457. I tried launching with arguments for different port - no luck. So I wonder, did someone bumped on such problem and found the solution?

Hi man. I have same issue today.The most funny thing... Actually i installed gw2 on new hardware, everything fine then... boom! cant log in, im sure its not router problem or firewall. I have gw2 on laptop too, with the same OS, same firewall... and its sound "funny" but on my laptop i have no log in problems. Im confused.I welcome any help btw.

It's possible it's related to the version of Lutris that is being used. I had that issue since the 15th, and I found a solution for myself today - just switch the Lutris version from V6.0 to V5.7-11. You can do this by Right clicking on Gw2 ---> Configure ---> Runner Options ---> Wine Version.I don't know why it fixed my problem, but it did. I ran 2 fresh installations, both under V6.0. The moment I rolled back to 5.7, I could log in.

It works! Really big thank you!i also switched vulkan ICD loader from amd_icd64.json to radeon_icd.x86_64.json bcs i had black screen and... it works now :)Thank you!

It worked for me as well - thank you for discovering this!Tho, the question remains, why version 6.0 terminates the connection...

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to install the game on a fresh KDE Neon installation with nvidia-drive-460 installed, every time o run /play.sh the game crashes.

--> Crash <--Assertion: Failed to start Coherent hostFile: ......\Engine\ArenaWeb\CoherentUi\AwCohContext.cpp(332)App: Gw2-64.exePid: 8BaseAddr: 0000000140000000ProgramId: 101Build: 110146When: 2021-01-11T22:37:22Z 2021-01-11T23:37:22+01:00Uptime: 0 days 0:00:04Flags: 0DumpFile: Crash.dmp

--> System <--Name: 4e05bcdaIpAddr: 192.168.0.42Processors: 4 [GenuineIntel:6:14:3]OSVersion: Wine 0.0-unknown (64 bit)

--> System Memory <--Physical: 14394MB/33455MB 43%Paged: 31918MB/33455MB 95%Virtual: 134217727MB/134217727MB 3%Load: 56%CommitTotal: 1536MBCommitLimit: 33455MBCommitPeak: 0MBSystemCache: 0MBHandleCount: 608ProcessCount: 6ThreadCount: 44

Any tip ?

Thank you for working on this package! I am wondering if I can use it on a Linuxified old Mac with an even older ATI graphics card. Do I just need to install the right drivers on top of the package, or will I run into conflicts with the package? Would I have more luck installing things bit by bit and tweaking as I go? Thank you!

Since no one replied yet I will answer to the best of my knowledge:@Knox.3748 Yup, the package uses dxvk. I don't have enough knowledge to help you on why it crashes though. Did you follow the steps in the guide to edit the file limits? It might help others to provide some basic hardware information, such as CPU/GPU.

@Leo.3428 The package uses dxvk which uses vulkan, so just in case your GPU doesn't support vulkan, you may want to try the legacy package >> Deprecated/Legacy Packages (WineD3D/OpenGL versions) from the original post. Also, it might help more experienced users to have more details about your hardware and the linux distribution you installed to give you guidance :) Best of luck

@"Mack.3045" said:

Hi mate, here is the async patch build of dxvk 1.7.3 with the optimized SPIRV shader compilation time patch included (as per pull request #1582 ) https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/pull/1582

"uses bit::cast instead of direct memcpy, and the additional DxvkShader constructor is less verbose, passing a const SpirvModule& and building flags directly from it instead"

The build is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvsr9zzzqpsnp6o/dxvk-async-1.7.3.tar.gz?dl=0

Thank you!

@Barabeam.4638 said:@"Leo.3428" The package uses dxvk which uses vulkan, so just in case your GPU doesn't support vulkan, you may want to try the legacy package >> Deprecated/Legacy Packages (WineD3D/OpenGL versions) from the original post. Also, it might help more experienced users to have more details about your hardware and the linux distribution you installed to give you guidance :) Best of luck

Thank you for the suggestions! The computer is a mid-2010 iMac with a Radeon HD 4670 (from around 2007 I think). I installed LXLE LTS and immediately ran into GPU driver issues which, as far as I gathered from the web, have no solution apart from considerably downgrading the kernel. I have detailed my struggles here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/121678/intel-chip-mac-dual-boot-with-linux-wine-gw2-for-windows

@"Mack.3045" said:

Thank you, seems like a very fast build to me, but sadly arcsps is not working with it. Or am I the only one with this issue? ^^

@"Ikarus.2659" said:Thank you, seems like a very fast build to me, but sadly arcsps is not working with it. Or am I the only one with this issue? ^^

arcdps is not working for me either. It is initially visible on the character selection menu, but the client crashes with an "unexpected exception" if you play with the arcps overlay on the character selection screen or during the loading screen after character selection. I've not made it into the game once with arcdps installed.

@Ikarus.2659 said:

@"Mack.3045" said:

Hi mate, here is the async patch build of dxvk 1.7.3 with the optimized SPIRV shader compilation time patch included (as per pull request #1582 )

The build is here

Thank you, seems like a very fast build to me, but sadly arcsps is not working with it. Or am I the only one with this issue? ^^

@Ikarus.2659 said:Thank you, seems like a very fast build to me, but sadly arcsps is not working with it. Or am I the only one with this issue? ^^

arcdps is not working for me either. It is initially visible on the character selection menu, but the client crashes with an "unexpected exception" if you play with the arcps overlay on the character selection screen or during the loading screen after character selection. I've not made it into the game once with arcdps installed.

Arcdps seems to work for me on lutris wine version 5.7.11, and tkg wine builds from 5.7 (didnt test earlier builds) up until and including 5.19, and I do not know why but would definitely like to see this fixed. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can do something with this information, but as a workaround just use one of these versions of wine and it will work fine.

@ibrokemypie.8526 said:

Hi mate, here is the async patch build of dxvk 1.7.3 with the optimized SPIRV shader compilation time patch included (as per pull request #1582 )

The build is here

@Ikarus.2659 said:Thank you, seems like a very fast build to me, but sadly arcsps is not working with it. Or am I the only one with this issue? ^^

Arcdps seems to work for me on lutris wine version 5.7.11, and tkg wine builds from 5.7 (didnt test earlier builds) up until and including 5.19, and I do not know why but would definitely like to see this fixed. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can do something with this information, but as a workaround just use one of these versions of wine and it will work fine.

Same here. I meant ardsps is not working with the dxvk-async build provided by @Mack.3045.I also play with lutris 5.7.11 with arcdps, vkbasalt and a few more plugins. Runs faster than vanilla windows for me (about 20+ fps and less stutter). But I have freezes now and than. Maybe every 2 hours or so...

I cant login with lutris-6.0rc1, but with arch systems wine-6.0. but its slow as hell :disappointed:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running Lutris almost successfully for more than a month now and I wonder if someone noticed weird mouse and camera behavior while playing among large number of people like squads (joined or not) or world bosses: sometimes camera refuses to stay in place and starts to spin character around either clockwise or counter clockwise, some rubberbanding while moving happens and often skills fails to be executed by keyboard - there's a significant delay but none if I'm operating with mouse (while trying to have camera in place). None of this happen when I'm in less dense populated areas but might happen while doing fractals.

I have copied Windows client graphics and audio settings and none of this happens there; issues are present on SSD as well as on HDD. I'm not sure if this is Manjaro GNOME specific behavior related to display server and my GTX 670 or something between Lutris settings: Wine version - lutris-5.7-11-x86_64, DXVK - 1.7.3L-03f11ba.

Edit: I forgot about another issue with Bjora Marches map - while swapping between parked characters there, I'm getting OOM errors since last update - I have 8GB of physical RAM and additional 17GB of swap (both as file and partition) since I've experienced OOM freezes during first attempts with launching GW2 with Lutris but even with all of it, Bjora Marches flips running client but any other open world map or instance works properly.

So again, has someone experienced similar stuff and knows how to deal with it?