Weapon speculations for EoD elite specs

dou.7083

What weapon do you think each class will be able to use with the addition of the new elite specs in EoD?Let's speculate.

My guesses for the classes that I play are as follows:Mesmer - either daggers or a long/short bow. I think daggers are a safer bet, but I'd really love to see a bow. Daggers could be a power version of axe with a few additional twists, and bows would be something like pistol skill 1 and staff skill 3, that type of phantasm generation combined with 900/1200 rangeWarrior - staff. Something similar to revenant's staff, something support-esque probablyEle - greatsword would be lovely. Maybe even done in the faith of mesmer's greatsword or revenant's hammerRevenant - tough call because the use range of the existing weapons is so good, but I'll go with mh mace or oh warhorn

My speculations hopes are:Warrior: Sceptre (spear skin, warrior will throw scepter like Javelins)Revenant: dual Daggers (mid range), Longbow (single target, long range) or Sceptre + Focus (mid range)Guardian: offhand Sword (melee)Ranger: Hammer (melee)Engineer: main hand Mace (melee)Thief: Hammer (melee) or offhand Sword (melee)Elementalist: Longbow (single target, long range)Necromancer: offhand Axe (mid Range) or main hand Sword (melee)Mesmer: dual Daggers (mid range)

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I’ll go for scepter for warrior

Skill one: hit enemy with scepterSkill two: hit enemy harder. Causes stun.Skill three: stab enemy with sharp bottom end of scepter, causes bleeding.

Please no... See @Smoosh.2718

I seem to remember a dev saying that with the addition of elite specs, eventually all professions will have access to all weapons.

“You hear that, Mr. Anderson? That's the sound of inevitability,”

MesmerWarhorn (which I don’t want nor do we need another kitten off band weapon just for two measly weapon skills).

Main hand Pistol

OR

Dual wielding Daggers that are long range. Think of Irelia from LoL kind of style.

These are the weapons that make the most sense for the next E-Spec but we’re not sure what we’ll get since it depends on the theme they’re going for when we go to Cantha.

But with that said:Warhorn = ShoutsPistol = TricksDaggers = Stances

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I’ll go for scepter for warrior

Skill one: hit enemy with scepterSkill two: hit enemy harder. Causes stun.Skill three: stab enemy with sharp bottom end of scepter, causes bleeding.

Please no... See @Smoosh.2718

I seem to remember a dev saying that with the addition of elite specs, eventually all professions will have access to all weapons.

“You hear that, Mr. Anderson? That's the sound of inevitability,”

Realistically that is not possible due to the initial imbalance of weapon availability of Elementalist and Engineer no matter what a single dev said. Unless of course some especs just revamp other weapon sets...

That said Pistol/Pistol fills more check boxes for what Warrior needs than either staff or scepter, but then watch Shortbow happen...

Thanks Lan, saved me from going on a massive rant on why Staff/Sceptor would bring nothing new to the warrior class.It's going to be pistol for warrior, end of. If its not then a huge mistake was made and we'll end up with another half baked weapon that no one will use after trying it out for a week. (Please see the torch, seriously... why even bother using that weapon?)

Elementalist: Riffle (I want a magic riffle!)Engineer: Focus (I know some people think/want either a main hand or a 2H weapon but I think even an off hand will be manageable)Guardian: Warhorn (It should already have it as a core weapon)Mesmer: Pistol main hand (I want it since september 2012!)Necromancer: Axe off-hand (because nobody else want it ;) )Ranger: scepter (I mean shepherd use something akin to a scepter to lead their sheeps... It feel like it would fit well in a ranger's hand)Revenant: DaggerThief: Torch (It would be a nice weapon to fit it's smoke and shadows domain. It would also fit a graverobber theme)Warrior: Pistol (either MH, OH or both)

@Smoosh.2718 said:(Please see the torch, seriously... why even bother using that weapon?)

Because it's the recommended offhand counterpart for sword in just about every currently recommended condi build for PvE, including raids?

The quality of a weapon tends to depend more on how well it's implemented than what it actually is. Half the Guardian subforum was demanding longbow before HoT... now it's barely used anywhere. Meanwhile, the mesmer forum groaned at chronomancer shield, and they're kind of justified with what it's become now, but it was meta-defining for a couple of modes until it got nerfed.

@Smoosh.2718 said:Thanks Lan, saved me from going on a massive rant on why Staff/Sceptor would bring nothing new to the warrior class.It's going to be pistol for warrior, end of. If its not then a huge mistake was made and we'll end up with another half baked weapon that no one will use after trying it out for a week.And yet, Pistol is going to do the exact same you claim Staff and Sceptre were to do:I'll bring nothing new to the profession.It'd just end as a lesser rifle with less damage, less skills and less range.

Please see the torchTorch still is a good weapon for condition berserkers and part of the Snowcrow META for condition-based warriors.

why even bother using that weapon?There are people who enjoy using it.

@Dadnir.5038 said:Engineer: Focus (I know some people think/want either a main hand or a 2H weapon but I think even an off hand will be manageable)

About the engineer focus: It is not managable as long as Anet refuses to add more mainhand weapons to core engineer. Giving us an offhand weapon means it will literally just have 1 possible weapon combination: pistol/focus in this case. Which would be just terrible, tbh, especially since mainhand pistol pretty much sucks....

• Like 1

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Smoosh.2718 said:Thanks Lan, saved me from going on a massive rant on why Staff/Sceptor would bring nothing new to the warrior class.It's going to be pistol for warrior, end of. If its not then a huge mistake was made and we'll end up with another half baked weapon that no one will use after trying it out for a week.And yet, Pistol is going to do the exact same you claim Staff and Sceptre were to do:I'll bring nothing new to the profession.It'd just end as a lesser rifle with less damage, less skills and less range.

It would be dual wielded. So 5 more skills not 3 or 2.Warrior needs a 1 handed range option.Warrior needs a mid range option.Whether it does less DPS or more DPS depends on the skill loadout. Axe does better DPS than Greatsword and it is a 1H weapon. The fact that it is 1H is irrelevant to what DPS potential it could have.

Please see the torchTorch still is a good weapon for condition berserkers and part of the Snowcrow META for condition-based warriors.Torch does have its place, but only in Raids really. It is a good pair with MH Sword, but mainly due to Anet's refusal to properly rework OH weapons.why even bother using that weapon?There are people who enjoy using it.^ Rule of cool. On the same rule of cool Pistol/Sword, sword/pistol, and pistol/warhorn are all so much cooler than staff or scepter/any.

That said Pistol/Pistol offers the most to warrior of the available options.1) Can be a ranged DPS with support built into it via the espec traitline2) Offers an OH option that could potentially compete with shield in competitive if done right.3) Offers a 1h range option. That could be used with shield or warhorn, or paired with 1h melee weapon.

Think of thisF1: (only one tier, others lost for whatever mechanic there is) Blast targeted area for high damage, applies weakness to foes hit. blast finisher.AA does what AA does but would be a 20% projectile finisher per shot.Pistol 2: 4s cd moderate damage blast finisher ground targeted aoe.Pistol 3: 8s cd moderate damage fire field, pulses damage and burn stacks per pulse, 1s pulses, last 5s.Warhorn in the OH.

Utilities would be something like PBAoE bombs that set a field and blast them immediately.Heal is a water bomb. does an inital heal for you then you get the heal from blasting a water field. The field persists for 5s cleansing condis for allies within it and granting a small amount of healing per tick.Add in a lightening bomb that pulses superspeed (only a 2s duration on the field), smoke bomb that blinds foes per pulse (3s field duration) and a few others. Each bomb blasts its own field for a blast finisher. Have one or two also be stunbreaks.

Throw in the heal bomb, one or two more with the other utility slots being shouts.

Then have a traitline that potentially grants things like AoE protection and AoE barrier on using a blast finisher. Or something more offensive like AoE vulnerability, but 10 stacks of it. Or possibly even traits that have burning applied per blast finisher.

You see the possibilities now?

You could easily apply protection and barrier to where it needs to be with a ground targeted field and ground targeted blast finishers. You can also drop a water field that could be blasted by you 4 times to heal your party along with pulsing healing and condi cleanse at that location.Stealth for the party that can be used to cover warriors biggest weakness, highly telegraphed attacks.

Sample Pistol OH skills:Pistol 4 would be an evade that leaves a trail of poison vapers that apply poison and weakness. 12s CDPistol 5 would be something similar to Unload, Volley, and Rapid fire. Each shot would be 100% projectile finisher. 20s CD, but with very high burst damage. Reflects enemy projectiles during the channel.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:It would be dual wielded. So 5 more skills not 3 or 2.It doesn't have to and Warrior should not get two weapons again.Warriors already had more weapons than other professions baseline and now got three weapons via elite specializations when everything else only got two.Giving them another two would be quite unfair.

Warrior needs a 1 handed range option.Warrior needs a mid range option.That's nothing a Javelin/Sceptre-used-as-Javelin couldn't do.

Rule of cool. On the same rule of cool Pistol/Sword, sword/pistol, and pistol/warhorn are all so much cooler than staff or scepter/any.This is just your opinion though.To me, a Warrior using a Pistol would look even more stupid than a neon-green Daredevil wielding Kasmeer's Staff.

Can be a ranged DPS with support built into it via the espec traitlineOffers a 1h range option. That could be used with shield or warhorn, or paired with 1h melee weapon.As mentioned above, a javelin could do the same.

AA does what AA does but would be a 20% projectile finisher per shot.Javelin could work as Projectile Finishers, too.

Pistol 2: 4s cd moderate damage blast finisher ground targeted aoe.To me, ground-targetted Areas a just terrible.

Utilities would be something like PBAoE bombs that set a field and blast them immediately.Or utilities could be something entirely different and they don't actually matter to the choice of weapon, which this thread is about.

To me, your idea simply sounds like you want a different flavour of Bombs Engineer.From just reading it, it feels even less like a Warrior than Spellbreaker does.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:It would be dual wielded. So 5 more skills not 3 or 2.It doesn't have to and Warrior should
not
get two weapons again.Warriors already had more weapons than other professions baseline and now got three weapons via elite specializations when everything else only got two.Giving them another two would be quite unfair.That's irrelevant. Any weapon warrior gets in the MH they get to dual wield. It's their thing since 2013.Warrior needs a 1 handed range option.Warrior needs a mid range option.That's nothing a Javelin/Sceptre-used-as-Javelin couldn't do.That just sounds stupid to even visualize, and yes that is my opinion.Rule of cool. On the same rule of cool Pistol/Sword, sword/pistol, and pistol/warhorn are all so much cooler than staff or scepter/any.This is just
your opinion
though.To me, a Warrior using a Pistol would look even more stupid than a neon-green Daredevil wielding Kasmeer's Staff.But rifle warrior isn't?

No heavy class has pistol, and to me warrior is the best of the three to give it to since it already uses rifle.

Can be a ranged DPS with support built into it via the espec traitlineOffers a 1h range option. That could be used with shield or warhorn, or paired with 1h melee weapon.As mentioned above, a javelin could do the same.True, but scepter on warrior would be bad.AA does what AA does but would be a 20% projectile finisher per shot.Javelin could work as Projectile Finishers, too.See previous statement s.Pistol 2: 4s cd moderate damage blast finisher ground targeted aoe.To me, ground-targetted Areas a just terrible.Eh. They take skill true, but it also offers versatility over blasting whatever field a target happens to stand on for you.Utilities would be something like PBAoE bombs that set a field and blast them immediately.Or utilities could be something entirely different and they don't actually matter to the choice of weapon, which this thread is about.Hey, I offered up utilities that mesh with the weapon but also function without it so that other weapon sets can be used. Anet loves synergy, don't you?To me, your idea simply sounds like you want a different flavour of Bombs Engineer.Well the devs have said that the especs are their version of cross classing and that Holo was essentially Engi/Warrior. What I suggested is essentially Warrior/Engi.From just reading it, it feels even less like a Warrior than Spellbreaker does.That's your opinion, but what I described is actually very versatile and can be used in a number of ways with several OH ang MH pairings to either be very supportive, or very aggressive. Versatility is another thing that is a warrior hallmark since 2013.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:It would be dual wielded. So 5 more skills not 3 or 2.It doesn't have to and Warrior should
not
get two weapons again.Warriors already had more weapons than other professions baseline and now got three weapons via elite specializations when everything else only got two.Giving them another two would be quite unfair.

Warrior needs a 1 handed range option.Warrior needs a mid range option.That's nothing a Javelin/Sceptre-used-as-Javelin couldn't do.

Rule of cool. On the same rule of cool Pistol/Sword, sword/pistol, and pistol/warhorn are all so much cooler than staff or scepter/any.This is just
your opinion
though.To me, a Warrior using a Pistol would look even more stupid than a neon-green Daredevil wielding Kasmeer's Staff.

Can be a ranged DPS with support built into it via the espec traitlineOffers a 1h range option. That could be used with shield or warhorn, or paired with 1h melee weapon.As mentioned above, a javelin could do the same.

AA does what AA does but would be a 20% projectile finisher per shot.Javelin could work as Projectile Finishers, too.

Pistol 2: 4s cd moderate damage blast finisher ground targeted aoe.To me, ground-targetted Areas a just terrible.

Utilities would be something like PBAoE bombs that set a field and blast them immediately.Or utilities could be something entirely different and they don't actually matter to the choice of weapon, which this thread is about.

To me, your idea simply sounds like you want a different flavour of Bombs Engineer.From just reading it, it feels even less like a Warrior than Spellbreaker does.

Flavour text:Warrior is a weapon master and can use ALL mainhand 1h weapons offhand as well as mainhand.Warrior has and always will have access to the most weapons in the game.

Warrior is the ONLY core class in the game that does not have a 1h range weapon. Thus Warrior needs a ranged weapon that has the ability to be mainhand or offhand to put pressure onto the target as a main source of damage or secondary.

Javalin? What weapon is going to suit that? Seeing weapons which have 2-3 skins that suit it doesnt sit well in my books. Like the repurposed Staff for melee... its jarring to see and has no good legendary skins for melee use.

If we end up getting a scepter mainhand for thowing, what options does that leave you with? Shield offhand? Warhorn, Axe and Sword. At least with Pistol Pistol, you can work around your build you play with, keep axe your mainhand and have that mid range pressure on the offhand. Or go for a 'commander' spec, pistol mainhand, warhorn offhand and use support abilities.

I see far more reasons for it to be pistol than it to be any other weapon. (Also please do note that I do not trust Anet to create a fluid throwing animation that looks good... Seriously look at the Elonians throwing spears, its jarring.)

Fun Trivia:Engineer was going to be the 3rd heavy weight class. This was going to be a pistol/rifle/shield class using heavy armour.Warriors of real history, used pistols and rifles.

So I see no issues with having warrior be the first heavy weight to finally get the weapon it rightfully needs. Will allow some players to play a full range build if they so wish to.

But count on this here, If we do get Staff/Scepter, I'll say this now, you will not enjoy using those weapons beyond 1 week.

I think a lot of the staff/sceptre crowd are there because they cannot conceive of a support weapon any other way.

But Javelin? Just bring back land spear like in GW1 and throw it. The animation models are in the game anyway thanks to Loyalist Paragons. And then you'd have tons of skins that work already for the weapon. It would have to be 2H though otherwise you would have the weirdness of throwing that spear along with OH axe, OH mace, and OH sword sitting there.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:The animation models are in the game anyway thanks to Loyalist Paragons.Don't forget the Dragonhunter's F1 Spear, so we have at least one spear throw that predates the Loyalist Paragons.

It would have to be 2H though otherwise you would have the weirdness of throwing that spear along with OH axe, OH mace, and OH sword sitting there.I don't think it'd be too weird if Arenanet shrinked the underwater Spear skins into one-handed size.

Also could you design a King's series of weapon like it is made for the king, and perhaps design a story line around it? It would be dope. Like accomplish certain quest to unlock. Etc. ,Lastly pls make weapons look realistic, like they are heavy and will do damage and less cartoonish looking.Also there is real lack of cool sword skins. You might want to introduce more to the ecosystem to keep gamers interested..

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:Engineer: Focus (I know some people think/want either a main hand or a 2H weapon but I think even an off hand will be manageable)

About the engineer focus: It is not managable as long as Riot refuses to add more mainhand weapons to core engineer. Giving us an offhand weapon means it will literally just have 1 possible weapon combination: pistol/focus in this case. Which would be just terrible, tbh, especially since mainhand pistol pretty much sucks....

Largely agreed, although I don't think engineer pistol mainhand is THAT bad. It is a good reason not to give an engineer elite specialistion an ofhand without an accompanying mainhand, though.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:^ Rule of cool. On the same rule of cool Pistol/Sword, sword/pistol, and pistol/warhorn are all so much cooler than staff or scepter/any.

Rule of cool, by nature, is subjective, especially when we're talking about weapons without considering their actual skills. There is potential for a staff or even scepter for warrior that others might find cool even if you don't.

Mind you, I can definitely see room for an engineer-light elite specialisation for warrior - might finally pin down what Canach is, even. But it's not the only thing that could possibly work.

@Fueki.4753 said:

not
get two weapons again.Warriors already had more weapons than other professions baseline and now got three weapons via elite specializations when everything else only got two.Giving them another two would be quite unfair.

I'm not sure this really follows? 'Having lots of weapon options' was always supposed to be one of the strengths of warrior, and considering that their three involves two offhands, I'm not convinced that they've actually came out better off from elite specialisation weapons than professions that got two autoattack-capable weapons.

Rule of cool. On the same rule of cool Pistol/Sword, sword/pistol, and pistol/warhorn are all so much cooler than staff or scepter/any.This is just
your opinion
though.To me, a Warrior using a Pistol would look even more stupid than a neon-green Daredevil wielding Kasmeer's Staff.

Rytlock uses a pistol in the early dungeons.

I think there is a valid point to be made that, in a world where warriors have already progressed to using gunpowder weapons, they wouldn't hold back from using pistols. They'd be useful ranged sidearms that are more convenient than a full-sized handgun or bow.

What I think could be interesting, actually, is for warrior to have pistols that are explicitly not designed to work together. Offhand pistol could have skills that are intended to synergise best with a melee weapon, such as a cripple that could help with gap closing, and a pistol-whip or conk-the-enemy-with-the-handle style melee CC. The mainhand pistol could then be a fairly typical ranged MH weapon, but one that potentially synergises better with shield for defence or warhorn for support, or potentially even an offhand melee weapon, than offhand pistol.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:^ Rule of cool. On the same rule of cool Pistol/Sword, sword/pistol, and pistol/warhorn are all so much cooler than staff or scepter/any.

Rule of cool, by nature, is subjective, especially when we're talking about weapons without considering their actual skills. There is potential for a staff or even scepter for warrior that others might find cool even if you don't.

Mind you, I can definitely see room for an engineer-light elite specialisation for warrior - might finally pin down what Canach is, even. But it's not the only thing that could possibly work.If you look at Canache's skill loadout it mirrors a warrior with Shield Mastery and Runes of the Guardian equipped. He even has an Endure Pain like ability and a superior Shield Bash. Bombs can be purchased by anyone in PvE to use. 100% certain he is a Warrior using PvE available consumables. But yeah if Warrior got a pistol/pistol engineer-esc e-spec Canache would definitely be the NPC to showcase it.What I think could be interesting, actually, is for warrior to have pistols that are explicitly
not
designed to work together. Offhand pistol could have skills that are intended to synergise best with a melee weapon, such as a cripple that could help with gap closing, and a pistol-whip or conk-the-enemy-with-the-handle style
melee
CC. The mainhand pistol could then be a fairly typical ranged MH weapon, but one that potentially synergises better with shield for defence or warhorn for support, or potentially even an offhand melee weapon, than offhand pistol.

That sample Pistol/Pistol bar I gave is pretty much that. MH meshes well with WH and Shield and the OH is an aggressive side piece for MH weapons like axe and sword.

Have Leg Specialist traited:Then you have combos like Axe 3->Pistol 5, or Mace 3-> Pistol 5, or Mace F1 -> Pistol 5. Or about face ->Pistol 4-> about face ->Axe 2 -> F1, or the same sequence but with Mace 3 instead of Axe 2.

With sword you could do Pistol 4 -> Sword 2 -> F1 ->stow cancel -> Pistol 5 -> Sword 3 (or sword 3-> pistol 5).

You'd have some aggressive combos, some of which involve using about face and stow cancels. I'd personally really like the Axe/Pistol and Sword/Pistol combos, but I'd also really dig pistol/warhorn pistol/shield.