Icebrood Saga: Champions Chapter 2 Trailer : Power (January 19)

Carcharoth Lucian.1378

Not till the 19th. sigh, was hoping for it to be released today. I am not particularly excited about it - just excruciatingly bored with the current DRMs. Don't see much in this trailer to excite me but at least it would be something a tiny bit different to do. I do hope there will not be quite so much NPC yaking in this one. Getting really tired of frosty char dude telling me I should be interested in his salient parts.

So Looks to me like another slice of Story, 4 New DRM's, New Factions with some new Weapon skin Rewards, /Stretch emote and Stoneskin Infusion. More than the first chapter which is nice but I'm a little worried since each chapter is heavily focused on the missions.
I hope they took the concerns about the first chapter seriously and have added some much needed changes to the missions.

Bah. Meh. Really. Seem like the same non rewarding DRM of episode 1. I think the only spark of joy is maybe seeing those stone dwarves. And uhm Skritts! I'm hit!Why using largos, nightmare court, bandits, grawls, ogres or hyleks where you can use an already overused race which are the exalted. Exalted in Hot, exalted in LWS4 and now again... still don't see the unexpected allies. Better saying the very presible allies.

And this is the least primordius can do? Lies. It's a dragon that don't care of lifeforms and you are saying somehow that he kept its hits to do only minimum damage? If it send the same amount of destroyers in future DRM, primordius is easy to kill. This is an irony for a chapter called power, I'm waiting to see that chapter gain in power!!!Can't defend recent weapons reward either: Outpriced skins you can't even admire due to heavy smoke and adding mastery sticked to collecting them? Bad.

Frankly, betrayal of jormag? So previsible. What was the purpose of chapter 1? better haven't introduced rata sum and ryland discussing here if it is to show one second later that... that story doesn't make any skritt sense, and I regret the good old format of Episodes. Can get it wanted to be like LS1 but it doesn't look at all like LS1 and still waiting for the big events involving the community like the ellen kiel election, what we gonna vote for? Killing jormag or primordius? This gonna be the biggest hate storm from one of the two camp after losing.

Feeling like there is no life in that trailer, that the npcs are somehow robots. This isn't putting explosion or few sentences that matter but adding depth to the thing: More talk options, more ambiant dialogues, more varieties of enemies.... 2021 still 2012 enemies well apart that primordius wyvern from gw1 but still apreciated.Many awesome unique foes have been designed along time: See Pof with forged and awakened, lws4 2 with new golems, lws4 5 with the branded centaur and dredges, the wisps in lws4 6, the bonneskinner, drakkar, and now we are regressing, using models that were already there.FREAKING GOD IT IS ABOUT PRIMORDIUS IS IT HARD TO DESIGN NEW DESTROYERS FOES!Just that would make a jump in quality...

PS: Not gonna lose my time farming for unobtainable stupid weapons implied in another craft fest requiring expensive mats to add a spark on them! Thanks.

@Randulf.7614 said:It's just more DRM's so no enthusiasm from me, although seeing the instanced Lake Doric frozen over was quite cool.

There doesn't seem to be anything else noteworthy. Lets just hope these DRMs are at least interesting and worth replaying

Wouldn't a new map north of DR feel much better :) , or maybe a map between Fields of Ruin and Desert Highlands, or a map connecting Deldrimor with the SHiverpeaks, or the Snake Way in the Streamspurs! All those DRMs could have easily been open world metas in new maps. Ofc this is me simply fanboying, but since these are strictly cosmetic/pve updates, at least do that correct and make it feel rewarding!

@Randulf.7614 said:It's just more DRM's so no enthusiasm from me, although seeing the instanced Lake Doric frozen over was quite cool.

There doesn't seem to be anything else noteworthy. Lets just hope these DRMs are at least interesting and worth replaying

At this point though this last chapter is only a filler until we reach EoD with bunch of DRMs, I doubt we will get a new map on this last chapter.We will get new map when EoD comes.

@Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Wouldn't a new map north of DR feel much better :) , or maybe a map between Fields of Ruin and Desert Highlands, or a map connecting Deldrimor with the SHiverpeaks, or the Snake Way in the Streamspurs! All those DRMs could have easily been open world metas in new maps. Ofc this is me simply fanboying, but since these are strictly cosmetic/pve updates, at least do that correct and make it feel rewarding!

I wanted a whole Shiverpeaks area for this Season. That dream is prob gone forever at this point and I've been looking forward to it since launch

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Excursion.9752 said:Dungeons, Fractals, Raids, Strikes and coming soon Dragon Response Missions to be forgot about in future updates.....

Unlike everything else listed, DRMs were never intended to be standalone game modes. They’re essentially stripped down, hollow living story content.All instanced content... All will be left on the back burner eventually... This is uninspired content is just more stuff to manage that wont be.

@Excursion.9752 said:

@Excursion.9752 said:Dungeons, Fractals, Raids, Strikes and coming soon Dragon Response Missions to be forgot about in future updates.....

Unlike everything else listed, DRMs were never intended to be standalone game modes. They’re essentially stripped down, hollow living story content.All instanced content... All will be left on the back burner eventually... This is uninspired content is just more stuff to manage that wont be.

The same can be said for all personal story and living story instances as well. All of those were “left on the back burner” too.

@Randulf.7614 said:

I wanted a whole Shiverpeaks area for this Season. That dream is prob gone forever at this point and I've been looking forward to it since launch

And see them not even making a Kodan allied faction by the end of this, hell centaurs even. Means what we saw in release trailers was all fake worldbuilding lol.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

The same can be said for all personal story and living story instances as well. All of those were “left on the back burner” too.Yes it can and it is true. Just the other day in these forums people were asking for updates to the story content. Never going to happen.

DRM is just paint on an old car trying to sell it as something new. I guess some people are happy with it. I just find it unacceptable. They tried these smaller update cycle windows back in Season one and it didn't work there. That is why they went away from it. It did not give them enough time to put out anything worth mentioning and it put stress on their development team.

I guess we should get used to these sub par content releases while the new expansion is in Development. Anet has always struggled with multi tasking. They are very well known for pulling people from what they are working on to work on the bigger better thing.

In terms of business strategy putting their "A team" on the expansion is a wise move because new customer acquisition is paramount to sustaining their business model.

What I expect is:

• Instanced DRMs using old assets whether they are maps (typically unpopulated core maps) or models --- check ; also it's slated to continue til April 2021
  • A few weaponsets based off older weapon sets (low amount of risk and investment) --- check
  • Incremental improvement to the reward structure --- supposedly there's a new emote and infusion , but will wait to see what those entail
  • An end to that timer countdown when all the pre-events in a DRM are completed , less dialogue in CM --- hopeful for this

If I remember correctly dungeons are "dead" due to the dev responsible for that content type unable to work on them due to technical issues or something akin to that. Raids are just a niche mode but they still had investment (Key of Ahdashim in 2019 , Mythwright Gambit in 2018) which seems to have shifted to strike missions as of 2019; fractals had investment just this past year and even before that (Sunqua Peak in 2020 , Siren's Reef in 2019 , Deepstone in 2018 for example). Just because the cadence isn't to your liking doesn't mean they aren't being worked on.

The difference between DRMs and the older living story as far as I know is there is no "public" instance of living story : it used to be party based. If you look back at Forging Steel that was more or less an experiment with a public instance of living story.

edit: would be worth linking to the page explaining it all https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/january-19-2021/

Are any of you surprised we're getting more DRMs? You didn't think they were suddenly giving us fully fleshed out maps, right? I don't remember if the devs confirmed 10 DRMs, but the data miners at least pointed us toward that reality. The third part will be a few more DRMs, and the fourth part, the finale, will likely be more instanced story content. Data miners revealed the EotN map will get a small expansion before Icebrood Saga comes to a close. We'll be able to explore the zone immediately outside the structure, but it won't be a big area. Still, a welcome development from me.

The devs have made it pretty clear by now that Icebrood Saga is coming to a rapid close as they focus on the expansion, so expect the least from these story updates. Of note, they are trying to get the finale out in April now instead of May. It's good to hear they are (seemingly) ahead of schedule. Hopefully that means good things for the expansion.

I don't hate the concept of DRMs or using those as a format for delivering story content, but they do need to make some improvements to the format. Hopefully they have adjusted for some of the major complaints, but I will anticipate otherwise.

It does feel jarring how quickly Jormag's "friendship" seems to have evaporated. It seemed inevitable, but it's annoying to see it happen so rapidly. I suppose it could be rogue Svanir that are up to something separate from Jormag, but that seems unlikely. I could see them feeling angry and betrayed by Jormag selecting a Charr champion over one of their own, however. Edit: I believe there are Icebrood in the trailer though. I can't remember if the non-corrupted Svanir cover themselves in ice too though, or if only the Svanir turned to Icebrood have that aesthetic.

@Linken.6345 said:So we have to wait 100% longer bettwen faction weeks this chapter.Deldrimor Dwarves 19jan-26jan then a 2 week gap instead of 1 with most likely Tengu the 16 of feb.Did I miss some threads complaining that we got content to quick so they decided to delay it?

No uh I think they just dragged this out like I said in the first place Linken this final chapter basically like just filler, they only doing minimum amount of work till the EoD arrives.

And see them not even making a Kodan allied faction by the end of this, hell centaurs even. Means what we saw in release trailers was all fake worldbuilding lol.

What you saw was the original plan, before the management team left and the plan was replaced by "create a new expansion ASAP".(think of it as being like GoT series 7+8, being truncated and rushed out so they could focus on the new SW movies)

Seems this chapter is more based around Jormag's minions.. kind of odd that the Dwarf's make an appearance now since they are far more involved with Primordus.One more faction coming too.. Tengu? I hope it's the Tengu.

But these factions really don't feel like anything yet tbh.. I don't feel like i'm building a multi race army to stand against these dragons because I can't see that progressing in the game yet.Hopefully we'll get something that does show this in part 2.