Is Guardian support overplayed ?

Sengo.7025

Im new to the game and I always liked playing tanky/support/healers so from what I see Firebrand seems to be the way to go in the game.But what is concerning me is that I also saw that Guardian is the most played class and I want to feel a bit special and not see my class everywhere.

Therefore I would like to ask you if Firebrand healers are everywhere or whether I should play it as my first character since I will be in demand.If not, what would be other viable options for PvP and PvE in terms of supports ?Much appreciated !

For WvW and PvE it is a solid class and despite the complaining about how it is weak it is quite common in PvP as well (currently common in burn iterations).The only other class that provides quickness is Chronomancer right now and Boon Thief/Daredevil in a few select instanced raids and strikes (Freezie aka Snowman's Lair) so its PVE dominance will continue.For WvW it's the most common source of stability via Firebrand spec.

Of course if you want to play tanky in WvW/PvP then you probably want to play Tactics Spellbreaker. For acting tanky in PVE without resorting to toughness gear generally I would say that heal druid or renegade is better.

@Sengo.7025 said:Therefore I would like to ask you if Firebrand healers are everywhere or whether I should play it as my first character since I will be in demand.

My main is a Guardian and I never have trouble getting into any group, be it as DPS or Healer.

If not, what would be other viable options for PvP and PvE in terms of supports ?

Druid (Ranger Elite Specialization) or Heal Support Elementalist (not a fan of that one, though). Also, there are Heal Scourges (i.e., Necromancer), but they are mostly used for Barrier and their ability to teleport downed allies.

I currently play healbrand to help my guilds in raids and fractals when they are short on healers, healbrand as a second spec is always in demand. The current Meta for raid supports are druid and healbrand at the moment as tempest is stuck on the bottom tier for unknown reasons despite elementalist requiring a decent amount of skills to play it right

i play scrapper healer with duo as cqfb/qchrono, scrapper have most stabile healing with 1 spam, and is much better in t4 wher ppl don't know how to dodge or strikes like woj/boneskineer to carry even harder then guardian

Scrapper is easy to learn but don't have acess to team bariers/quciness/alac or any adional stats bonuses, thats why usualy his not seen in competetive play as ppl on that lv ppl no need that much healing, and scrapper is much defensive

There will always be class dominance until boon support is looked at. Every class shouldn't provide every boon, but some of them like group Alacrity, Quickness, and Stability are extremely restricted to a few classes, resulting in dominance.

Group Retaliation and Vigor are extremely restricted as well, but not as essential to bring to encounters.

We need to spread the boons so that about half the classes can access each boon for group application. This still provides exclusivity, but ensures that you can bring twice as many classes to a given encounter as you can now.

Healing plays a part too, as some classes like Thief have no effective healing builds, just minor heals.

I feel like projectile hate and cleanses are in a good place on most classes. Some could use tweaks, but that's about it.

Here's a test for you, play in all modes for a while (PvE, PvP and WvW), and look at your buff bar often. You'll notice that most of the time the boons you have are the common ones like Fury, Might, Regeneration and Swiftness. This is because the boon application is uneven, and most of the time unless you have a specific group composition many of the boons in the game don't even come into play.

While permanent uptime shouldn't be possible solo, it should always be the case in 5man+ with 2 supports.

@Hannelore.8153 said:There will always be class dominance until boon support is looked at. Every class shouldn't provide every boon, but some of them like group Alacrity, Quickness, and Stability are extremely restricted to a few classes, resulting in dominance.

Group Retaliation and Vigor are extremely restricted as well, but not as essential to bring to encounters.

We need to spread the boons so that about half the classes can access each boon for group application. This still provides exclusivity, but ensures that you can bring twice as many classes to a given encounter as you can now.

Healing plays a part too, as some classes like Thief have no effective healing builds, just minor heals.

I feel like projectile hate and cleanses are in a good place on most classes. Some could use tweaks, but that's about it.

Here's a test for you, play in all modes for a while (PvE, PvP and WvW), and look at your buff bar often. You'll notice that most of the time the boons you have are the common ones like Fury, Might, Regeneration and Swiftness. This is because the boon application is uneven, and most of the time unless you have a specific group composition many of the boons in the game don't even come into play.

While permanent uptime shouldn't be possible solo, it should always be the case in 5man+ with 2 supports.

Well written, this is one of the suggestions I wrote not long time ago. Profession restricted dominance is a very bad thing and it doesn't promote variety.

Yes.Because it does support the best.

As long as a "best" exists, it will always be used heavily over the others.And in a game like Gw2 where there are no real restrictions to how much Boon support can be applied to yur allies, most of the time the solution to not enough boon output is to simply slap more of the best Support into the team comp.

If professions and builds have to apply for a job opening, Guardian/Firebrand is that guy who is high on the priority list because his resume is just freaking loaded.Literally no sense not to hire the guy.