[Big Please] What do you think about GW1 Remake / Remaster and new campaign?

@"Teratus.2859" said:That is quite a different thing.. Classic wasn't a "remake" but more of a re-releaseActually, it was more like remake than re-release, considering they didn't have the original code anymore and had to reverse-engineer large parts of it. And that a lot of engine changes that were introduced in all those years were moved into classic.

The main diffeence here is the resource availability - Anet simply isn't Blizzard, and (as past history has shown) lacks the resources needed to engage in another major project of similar scale without this having a heavily negative impact on GW2 development.

In my (very subjective and probably controversial on the GW2 forums) opinion, GW1 was a far superior game for its time.

I think a modern GW1 would have done better in the long run than GW2 has. Even if the current fans of GW2 may not have liked it as much, I think others who don't currently play GW2 would have been more into it. GW1 had some ARPG-esque elements with the map-like open areas and grinding those zones for unique green items etc. Expanding on this idea could have been really popular with current gaming trends.

Not to mention the PVP was much more varied and esports-like (let's not forget that was one of the goals for GW2).

I have always wished they just took GW1, added open world areas where you can come across other players, add WvW etc but stuck with the formula. Dual professions, GvG, missions, more flexible skill system and so on.

@"MarkVonPlay.7391" said:The main reason I love GW 1 is, that it is easy to learn and easy to play. It's just relaxed. I use click to walk and the buttons 1-8- You don't need more. Because GW 2 doesent't have click to walk I dont have fun with it. (as you can read here) But I love the hole gameplay and the scope the game gives me.

I would never get used to "click to walk" again after being spoiled with GW2's movement engine. I wouldn't want that ever again. Apart from that, I liked GW1's story, narrative quality, and its skill system much better than what we have in GW2.

So, I would love a remake with the new engine. But that's not going to happen as they don't have the resources for that kind of thing.

@Xiomaro.2563 said:In my (very subjective and probably controversial on the GW2 forums) opinion, GW1 was a far superior game for its time.

I think a modern GW1 would have done better in the long run than GW2 has. Even if the current fans of GW2 may not have liked it as much, I think others who don't currently play GW2 would have been more into it. GW1 had some ARPG-esque elements with the map-like open areas and grinding those zones for unique green items etc. Expanding on this idea could have been really popular with current gaming trends.

Not to mention the PVP was much more varied and esports-like (let's not forget that was one of the goals for GW2).

I have always wished they just took GW1, added open world areas where you can come across other players, add WvW etc but stuck with the formula. Dual professions, GvG, missions, more flexible skill system and so on.

GW1 is much more polished, focused, and has depth. Outside of profession balance and some missing QoL features, GW1 is very well made. GW2 is a shallow and mindless zerg-fest with too many issues that seem to go against what the game is trying to accomplish. Since the 2 games are so different, it’s not possible to say which game is more fun; that is completely subjective. But in terms of how well the games are made, GW1 is far superior.

@BlueJin.4127 said:

@"Xiomaro.2563" said:In my (very subjective and probably controversial on the GW2 forums) opinion, GW1 was a far superior game for its time.

GW1 is much more polished, focused, and has depth. Outside of profession balance and some missing QoL features, GW1 is very well made. GW2 is a shallow and mindless zerg-fest with too many issues that seem to go against what the game is trying to accomplish. Since the 2 games are so different, it’s not possible to say which game is more fun; that is completely subjective. But in terms of how well the games are made, GW1 is far superior.

Can you proof your words, especially your last sentence or are your words only smoke and sound? No examples given. "In terms of how the games are made" with this words you mean the coding of the games? You have seen the coding of the games? Or do you mean balancing, gameplay, world etc. , because as you say befor "that is completely subjective".A tip from me: First you look out for some data about the topic you want to discuss, then you use the data to make a conclusion in your mind (pls dont have a opinion and then only look out for data to proof it), to proof your conclusion you link the data. Explain everything in detail, because i dont know what you mean with "with too many issues that seem to go against what the game is trying to accomplish" . What are the issues of the game (i know some issues for me personally, but not your/the problems). What does the game want to accomplish, i dont know what you think the game want to accomplish. Pls tell us. If you want say your experience = data, then your data is subjective and this fine, but dont claim to be objective with sentence like this: "But in terms of how well the games are made, GW1 is far superior."Correct would be:" I think Gw1 is in terms of how well the games is made, far superior."

GW2 dungeons: Failure, abandoned for fractals and raids.GW2 Raids: Not good enough. Srike missions were added to get people into raids.GW1 dungeons: Underworld and Fissure of Woe were launched in the first chapter of GW1. Even to this day, players STILL regularly play UW and FoW. That's how successful and well made they are. Sorrow's Furnace was a new dungeon added later in the first chapter of GW1. Again, highly successful and well made. The idea of unique items called greens added to SF were so successful that they were continued through all following GW1 chapters. Unlike GW2 where things were abandoned, GW1 dungeons had clear focus, were successful, and all additional chapters added even more dungeons. Factions added the Deep and Urgoz. Nightfall added DoA (though DoA sucked at launch and Anet fixed that later, instead of abandoning). EotN added more than a dozen dungeons. Again, all dungeons were continuations from the original chapter of GW1 with the same focus and design. Not abandoned like the failures in GW2. Even to this day, players STILL run these dungeons regularly.

GW2 story: Personal story is very different from how stories are told now. LWS1 is gone. Anet is now experimenting stories in group instances (Forging Steel, DRM's), again, after abandoning them after Victory or Death. No focus. Abandoned. Experimentation after experimentation.GW1 missions and primary quests: The mission structure of GW1 had a clear and working focus and it used the same structure throughout all chapters. Some minor differences (such as the difference between bonus and masters, or having pre-requisite quests), but overall, well made and required no major changes through all 4 chapters of GW1. Very consistent and clear focus.

GW2 combat: You're supposed to dodge based on enemy actions, but you can't see the enemy due to all the visual clutter. Too many random deaths through no fault of the player. Enemies might as well not even have any animations when you can't even see them. Why did I die? I got hit a dozen times by a skill called Impale. What does this skill do? What's it look like? How do I avoid it? What is the strategy? Am I just supposed to mindlessly spam my attacks until I just randomly die? Where's the strategy? The combat is shallow and mindless with no clear direction.GW1 combat: Tactical combat that gives you all the info needed for skill based gameplay. If an enemy uses a skill, you will know it. You can clearly see the skill icon. Want to know exactly what that skill does? You can read the full description; it's right there. Want to know why you died? Again, read the skill. If you die in GW1, it's 100% your own fault. All the info is clearly given to the player. And if you die in GW1, there was real penalty. None of this mindless unlimited revive and zerg again with no strategy. There's actual skill, strategy, and depth in GW1's combat.

GW2 difficulty: OK, what are they even trying to do here? Some contents are mindless. Others, you have lesser skilled players screaming are too hard and there’s no consistent difficulty progression (many consider PoF easier than HoT).GW1 difficulty: Separate NM and HM. Regular dungeons and elite dungeons. Regular quests and master quests. All clear differences, labeled as such.

GW2 PvP: Barely limping on with very little support from the devs. Players bash this game mode so much if you read the PvP section.GW1 PvP: Got a lot of attention from the devs throughout the game's life cycle. GW1's PvP was very well known at the time due to how well it was made, even to players outside the game. Clear focus, polished, had depth.

GW2 WvW: Barely limping on with very little support from the devs. Players bash this game mode so much if you read the WvW section.GW1 AB: Extremely popular. Since it was a game mode that only made sense in Factions, there were no new AB's added in later chapters, but player participation was high even through later chapters with no new AB’s. GW1's various competitive modes were very popular to PVE players. Clear focus, polished, had depth.

GW2 has a lot of other issues. Broken events that make obtaining precursors a frustrating mess. Again, the procedure for precursors were abandoned because their original design was poorly done. GW1 doesn't have legendaries, but you can obtain all prestige weapons and armors without major issues. The process of obtaining prestige weapons and armors never needed to be abandoned in GW1. Build templates comparisons between GW2 and GW1... sigh... I'm not even going to go there. The list goes on and on.

Again, GW1 is much more polished, focused, and has depth. In terms of how well the games are made, GW1 is far superior.

What I would like to suggest - connect people in GW1 & GW2 - let them talk - that would make a great content to Guilds and Social Activity.

There are a lot of people who would love to play GW1 once-not-so-often, but with some people around that would make a great opportunity to engage them more often.

Combining 2 playerbases - GW1xGW2 would be a great option - imagine a Launcher connected to both accounts, that you can just switch games.

Also thinking about getting some backca$h - another opportunity to get people to get into Guild Wars 1

I'm about to say some DIRTY WORDS .GUILD WARS 1 MOBILE PORT.I know, I know its terrible word this 'mobile' but GW 1 would fit right in there and I think my phone is already passing the recommended specks for PC CPU SPEED: 2 GHz RAM: 1 GB. There is actually allot of old PC games that are cool that made it to the android store Neverwinter nights, Baldur's gate , GTA. Also for some reason these instanced pseudo MMORPGs seem to be really hip and pop these days. Arenanet wanted to be on the mobile market and for some reason they didnt port their already proven game there, shooting fish in a barrel basically.

I hope the current Anet team will never touch gw1 PvP tbh and I honestly don't think that they could add much to the PvE either. There is 0 sense for competitive gameplay left in the company (or if there is then they are pretty good in supressing it) and I hope Anet doesn't destroy the remaining pvp playerbase in gw1.. there are actually discord servers and stuff where people organize queue-events every saturday or something - really cool in my opinion and says a lot about the game and the former Anet team to focus on that.. GW1 actually started as a pvp game too and even tho they heavily invested in PvE because it was successful among players, they didn't fail to add new competitive content alongside. You could even make PvP only chars, that's crazy! I just remembered this was a thing back then..

I also don't think gw1 and gw2 should meet, they are completely different games with focus on completely different things and I have accepted it by now. First I was really pissed because gw2 is just sooo different but I've come to appreciate as what it is: A good game but a really bad successor.Especially due to the lack of pvp content/modes/support. But also the weird redesign of the landscapes and stuff. Not everything's bad tho, it's a good game and I much prefer the movement and combat system of gw2 (actually I think it's the best in the entire mmorpg genre but then again, I also don't think it's worth anything without meaningful competitive content).

I'd appreciate them adding jumping however, even tho I am fully aware that this would break nearly every map but I actually wouldn't mind.Also a remake would probably not be the right format as it's just too much content to re-do in a new engine, especially since all the models and textures would need to be re-done and that's a MASSIVE amount of work, it's not like importing the old stuff into a new framework and press "Build" or something.If Anet made a new mmo they should first of all invest in modernizing their engine or completely ditch it and switch to a decent existing one. The world of engines doesn't solely consist of Unreal, Cry and Unity either.

@DoomNexus.5324 said:I hope the current Anet team will never touch gw1 PvP tbh and I honestly don't think that they could add much to the PvE either.They might try to update the engine a bit. There are some parts of that game where graphics had become a bit aged. As far as mechanics go, i don't think there would have been a need for any significant changes at all. The whole skill/build/gear system of gw1 was way superior to what we have now, for example.

One thing i'd personally like to see implemented from GW2 is the mobile character control - especially the ability to use skills when moving. I'm just afraid that adding that one would run the risk of affecting the skill balance a lot, so i'm not sure how good of an idea would that be.

@Vancho.8750 said:I'm about to say some DIRTY WORDS .GUILD WARS 1 MOBILE PORT.I know, I know its terrible word this 'mobile' but GW 1 would fit right in there and I think my phone is already passing the recommended specks for PC CPU SPEED: 2 GHz RAM: 1 GB. There is actually allot of old PC games that are cool that made it to the android store Neverwinter nights, Baldur's gate , GTA. Also for some reason these instanced pseudo MMORPGs seem to be really hip and pop these days. Arenanet wanted to be on the mobile market and for some reason they didnt port their already proven game there, shooting fish in a barrel basically.

Please. God. No.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd rather see a "back to the future" approach - a new game that takes the essence of GW1, but makes it feel more fluid and modern, and moves on with a new story. I have no particular desire to see a re-run of the GW1 story again - large parts of it weren't really that good anyway.

But the instancing, that actually was a good idea. I don't think we really "got it" at the time - with all the MMOs floating around - but it's far easier to prevent combat from degenerating into all the lag, visual noise, etc we get from raid bosses now.

Last but not least... anything like this needs a business case. Adding a fresh coat of paint to GW1 is probably not going to recoup costs if you don't have something to sell to prospective players that they actually want to spend money on. If it doesn't look like it'll make money, I don't see NCSoft green-lighting it.

@"Sirius.4510" said:I'd rather see a "back to the future" approach - a new game that takes the essence of GW1, but makes it feel more fluid and modern, and moves on with a new story. I have no particular desire to see a re-run of the GW1 story again - large parts of it weren't really that good anyway.

But the instancing, that actually was a good idea. I don't think we really "got it" at the time - with all the MMOs floating around - but it's far easier to prevent combat from degenerating into all the lag, visual noise, etc we get from raid bosses now.

Last but not least... anything like this needs a business case. Adding a fresh coat of paint to GW1 is probably not going to recoup costs if you don't have something to sell to prospective players that they actually want to spend money on. If it doesn't look like it'll make money, I don't see NCSoft green-lighting it.One thing speaking for it would be GW1 occupying pretty much an unique niche on the market. While GW2 needs to compete with all the other MMORPGs out there (and is holding on mainly due to being "the one casual MMORPG"), GW1 was far more unique, and had no real competition out there. WHich, btw, is still true even now.