Weird beginner burnout (?) [I don't know what to do]

Hello,So I started gw2 weirdly, and I'm currently in a really weird spot and I'm not sure how to progress. I haven't done any crafting because I find it kind of confusing. I've tried starting collections but I can't do most without some form of crafting. I have 3 level 80 characters with okay exotic gear and I've only done 1 level 20 dungeon and no fractals, simply because I don't know how to even begin fractals. I have a soulbeast which I love the class of but I feel like I do 0 damage with. Overall I just feel stuck. I love this game but I really dont know how to progress. I know what I can do, its just i dont know how to do it.

If you're on a US server, hit me up in game on Vayne.8563 or better yet, message me here since I have multiple accounts. I can help you learn some of the end game stuff. I help a lot of people learn the game. It probably would help if you can jump on discord as well.

Crafting is very useful, and as you've seen, you'll have to level it eventually because it's kind of required.It's pretty easy to level though and way cheaper than it was before, plus, you might already have some materials saved up.

But figuring it out today is kinda pointless, just use a guide:https://gw2crafts.net/

Now, either buy materials off TP with gold, or do stuff that will get those materials, that could be your next goal for instance.

Dungeons now are not really worth doing unless you're grinding tokens for some materials or some neat runes you can get from them like Nightmare runes or whatever. Some legendary stuff also i think. But dungeons are very case specific now unless you want to see the story.

Next. I'd recommend doing fractals. It's easy to start as you don't need anything else than you already have.Check out some sources on fractal meta builds here:https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wikihttps://snowcrows.com/

Do not take those as the holy grail and the only thing you can do, take those as a guideline only. See what they recommend, see what you have, compare. If you feel like you're not doing damage, maybe you have the wrong stat combination on gear, or maybe the one you have can be better used on support builds.The sites show ascended gear, but you do not need them to start fractals. The fractal mechanic, agony, starts at the end of tier 1 fractals. After that, a few ascended rings can get you enough agony resistance for Tier 2, and in the meantime you might get ascended item drops that might be usable on some of your characters.

When you do ge ascended drops, if you get rings, those are fixed, but if you get armor or weapons, but not the stats you want, you can actually change those in the mystic forge using this recipe:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing

This is where your crafting will come in handy, you can craft yourself inscriptions and insignias to use in stat changing.IMPORTANT: If you have some precursor armor or weapons DO NOT CHANGE THE STATS! It will destroy the item and you'll lose it.

You'll need Agony infusions to get past T1. Otherwise, agony hurts very much. Don't put anything below +9 agony infusions into your gear for starters, it'll create problems later when you need to take them out, then combine with other to get more powerful ones... Till the end of T1, especially if you do dailies each day, you should have enough +1 agony infusions to get at least 1 +9 agony infusion if not more.

Once you pass all T1, start attuning your rings.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attuned_equipment

This will give you +1 slot to put your agony infusions in.

Train fractal mastery and get mastery points to unlock them in the meantime.Then slowly work your way up in fractal Tiers. It's good money and you can gear your characters that way pretty easily.

One other thing you can do is meta events in HoT and PoF if you have those. Getting mounts, leveling their masteries, and check what you can do with each map currency there.

You can also start WvW if you enjoy that kind of stuff. WvW is pretty easy to get into. Just ask for a commander tag in team chat, get to the map with the commander, join his squad and start following the zerg. Always pick up supply when you can. If a commander has a discord or teamspeak, join those and listen to the conversations and what he's saying. It'll be way easier because sometimes they say something like "Waypoint to green borderlands" or something and don't link the waypoint to chat or say in squad message. So people not on voice will wonder where everyone is. Press "B" to switch maps.

As you do WvW, every 5 minutes you get pips for your participation and reward track progression. At first this will be slow, but as you level your world experience and if you complete wood tier for the week, you get more pips next week etc. After each completion you get a chest with some useful stuff. The most useful are mystic coins, grandmaster mark scraps (that you can turn into grandmaster marks and buy ascended armor with without the need for crafting), and armor boxes. Completing Diamond tier will of course get you most skirmish tickets which you can use to get legendary armor from WvW, but for starters, completing Gold tier will get you enough to start wih, as completing gold is where you get grandmaster mark scraps and the second to last mystic coin reward.

You can get a Warclaw mount in WvW pretty easily. Requires PoF.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Warclaw_Reward_Track

You get mystic clovers for completing non repeatable reward tracks (you need those for legendary crafting), and after that, the best repeatable reward tracks are:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Armor_Reward_Track - exotic armor boxes, unique skins, legendary crafting materialshttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gift_of_Battle_Item_Reward_Track - legendary crafting materials, amalgamated gemstone, gift of battle for legendaryhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_Weapon_Reward_Track - exotic weapon boxes, legendary crafting materialshttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legacy_Armor_Reward_Track - unique exotic armor skins, legendary crafting materials

There's tons more to do like, getting ascended trinkets from Living world season 3 maps, getting ascended backpack from Living world Season 2. Living world Season 4 has some neat items to get as well.You can do achievements for item gobblers if you have too much of a certain item. Here's what's available:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Converter

And lastly, join a guild. It's way more fun doing guild run events when you know people will attend, rather than running around on your own. If you want to raid for example, you can do it in full exotic, but, while the gear requirements are lower than on fractals, raiding will kind of require you to join a raid training guild to even start because you don't want to use LFG for that, that's not an experience i want on anyone. And on top of that, you can't use anything other than meta builds, you'll get kicked out. Fractals are more forgiving in that matter, but only for up to Tier 3. Tier 4 and challange mote fractals are harder and you need a good build to do them comfortably.

Good luck!

The portal to Fractals of the mists is in the centre of Fort Marriner in Lion's Arch. This is the lobby, but you will want to use LFG and check under Fractals. Join parties and if you are in Lion's Arch you will get a prompt to join an instance with your party. LFG in general is your best friend to finding and joining pug groups.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_MistsI recommend watching a fractal beginner guide on youtube. There are plenty of good guides there that will explain the basics and there are some mechanics you should get familiar with.

Since you are calling yourself a new player. Have you levelled up your characters and played the story and other open-world activities? Open world stuff, meta events, collections are a great and easy source of materials, equipment, gold and other handy resources.

@Veprovina.4876 said:Crafting is very useful, and as you've seen, you'll have to level it eventually because it's kind of required.

I have played since the day the game came out back in 2012, and I haven't crafted once since 2013. Do you need to do for certain aspects of the game? Yes, you do, but it's not required to play the game.

@Andrej.4293, The wonderful thing about this game is that it doesn't force you to do anything. You only have to do crafting, story, exploring, pvp, wvw, dungeons, Fractals, raids, strikes, ect. if, and only if, you want to. My favourite part of the game is build crafting. Speaking of, you said that you're playing Soulbeast, but feel like you're not doing any damage. I just made a fun build the other day for Soulbeast that I really enjoy. I can share it with you want. I don't thinks it's a meta build, though.

Which brings me to my final point: never do something in GW2 because you feel like you have to for other players. Do what you want to do. Don't like crafting? No one is forcing you to do it. Hate Fractals? Avoid it. Have a build that you enjoy but it's not "meta?" Screw the meta! Play the game the way you want to, not the way that others want you to.

I highly recommend doing some collection archievments. I stupidly ignore them for a long time because i saw them as a generic dumb AP grind. But there are some great skins or other stuff at the end of them. My turn around was the otter's blessing enrichment. I saw it and fell in love with it. Have still some things to do for it but i also found a lot of other cool things i want to get so i have stuff to do for years.

@Andrej.4293 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:If you're on a US server, hit me up in game on Vayne.8563 or better yet, message me here since I have multiple accounts. I can help you learn some of the end game stuff. I help a lot of people learn the game. It probably would help if you can jump on discord as well.

Eu sadly ;-;

The great thing is that Vayne can still help you via Discord. For many questions, you won't need to be on the same server type! :)

@Uden Reavstone.3426 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:Crafting is very useful, and as you've seen, you'll have to level it eventually because it's kind of required.

I have played since the day the game came out back in 2012, and I haven't crafted once since 2013. Do you need to do for certain aspects of the game? Yes, you do, but it's not required to play the game.

@Andrej.4293, The wonderful thing about this game is that it doesn't force you to do anything. You only have to do crafting, story, exploring, pvp, wvw, dungeons, Fractals, raids, strikes, ect. if, and only if, you want to. My favourite part of the game is build crafting. Speaking of, you said that you're playing Soulbeast, but feel like you're not doing any damage. I just made a fun build the other day for Soulbeast that I really enjoy. I can share it with you want. I don't thinks it's a meta build, though.

Which brings me to my final point: never do something in GW2 because you feel like you have to for other players. Do what you want to do. Don't like crafting? No one is forcing you to do it. Hate Fractals? Avoid it. Have a build that you enjoy but it's not "meta?" Screw the meta! Play the game the way you want to, not the way that others want you to.

If you're happy with Exotics, then no, you don't really nead crafting. But since OP ran out of things to do i though it'd recommend it as a precursor to doing fractals.

@Hesione.9412 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:If you're on a US server, hit me up in game on Vayne.8563 or better yet, message me here since I have multiple accounts. I can help you learn some of the end game stuff. I help a lot of people learn the game. It probably would help if you can jump on discord as well.

Eu sadly ;-;

The great thing is that Vayne can still help you via Discord. For many questions, you won't need to be on the same server type! :)

Eu sadly ;-;

Eu sadly ;-;

It's true. I'm in discord talking to people about the game quite a lot. The only question if you're on the EU would be actual playtimes, because those may not line up.

Follow the StoryTake out a pesky dragon! meet Destinys Edge and lot of interesting characters in the world of Tyria.

Explore the world!The games world is full with events to do and landscapes to see (This is a beautifull crafted world take your take, theres no rush!)

Do Map completionThat means finding all the Points of interest also known as Poi view the vistas do the Hearts (quests) this one will help you get gear up as you are leveling and so you dont have to buy gear or weapons and this will help you get used to your class skills (seriously save your gold, theres no point in spending if you are not lvl 80)

Are you a fan of old school platform games? then try jumping puzzles!Jump like crazy in a series of obstacules to reach a juice chest at the end of it

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jumping_puzzle

You hit lvl 80 and you want to gear up? No problem!Your first grown up lvl 80 set will be your Exotic gear, for that go to Orr and find the Karma vendors, Karma is one of the many many maaaany ingame currencies that will allow you to buy stuff like food, recipes weapon and armors

Heres a lists of the sellers https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Temple_armor

Do Dungeons!Dungeons are small instances for a group of 5 players with all diferent stories and mechanics, they are super fun and your first real challenge in the world

Da list https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon

Learn to craft!Theres tons of them and they are great for selling stuff and making some money along the way, you will also need to learn a profesion for when you reach lvl 80 and need ascended gear for fractals.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting

Do Fractals!Now we are getting in 80 + exotic gear territory, the meaty part of the game. Fractals are Dungeons ++ divided in numbers from 0 to 100 and by Tiers that requires ascended gear and a special item called "infusion" you add to your ascended gear

Try PvP!Want to smack another player sensless? then pvp is for you! But be warned, pvp is an activity for players that want to win at all costs so you may find ehemm very vocal players from time to time, dont be discoraged by this! practice and getting familiar with the maps is a big part in pvp.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structured_PvP

Try WvWWant to smack another player sensless but in huge group confrontations? then Wvw is for you!

This mode is crazy, huge maps with 20+ group of players crashing into each other, conquering fortress and killing Lords.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

If you're doing "zero damage" with soulbeast then you should probably check your gear. If you're in exotics and it isn't marauder stat (probably not since you did not craft) or berserker (power main stat, precision, ferocity) then you probably don't have the right stat combination for PVE. You could have a few pieces of assassins (precision main stat, power and ferocity minor stat) but generally other stats are not good for openworld or most fractals.

If you're interested in fractals I would advise looking at https://discretize.eu/builds/ranger/soulbeast and in the long run I would try to get ascended weapons and trinkets at least unless you want to permanently be in tier 1 fractals. If you're not interested in fractals I would look into other content where exotics would still work such as living story and its associated maps (the biggest focus of GW2 PVE now), strike missions (watch some guides), PVP (doesn't rely on PVE gear), WvW (don't play non-soulbeast ranger or thief there), and possibly raids in the long run.

With soulbeast you will want to use beast mastery for the merged bonuses and an axe offhand (with sword or axe mainhand unless doing instanced content where cleave isn't required) or greatsword for the power damage. In fractals longbow is generally used only for the barrage and rapid fire burst.

Thanks for the tips everyone, all the webpages and links have been bookmarked. I've also just been running around doing some collections the last few weeks and:gyrfWMU.jpgk3iSFsV.jpg1vLihfx.jpg

I got my first Ascended Ring from just daily log ins, I feel like I'm actually doing damage. I still haven't done a fractal...but I've achieved some pretty cool collections :)

@Andrej.4293 said:Hello,So I started gw2 weirdly, and I'm currently in a really weird spot and I'm not sure how to progress. I haven't done any crafting because I find it kind of confusing. I've tried starting collections but I can't do most without some form of crafting. I have 3 level 80 characters with okay exotic gear and I've only done 1 level 20 dungeon and no fractals, simply because I don't know how to even begin fractals. I have a soulbeast which I love the class of but I feel like I do 0 damage with. Overall I just feel stuck. I love this game but I really dont know how to progress. I know what I can do, its just i dont know how to do it.

Hello!

Gz on ascended ring! And hopping into collection fun times!You can jump right into fractals as long as you have exotic gear lvl 80s, just keep doing daily fractals until you get to 100! That's how I did it. You'll get enough ascended drops just from doing fractal dailies and learning, and everyone at tier 2 and below (even in tier 3 somewhat) is figuring it out, so no pressure. Don't worry about trying to have ascended gear or agony resistance or all that complicated stuff in the beginning, just go for it! (Ascended gear has slots to put agony resistance so you can do higher tier fractals, but at tier 1, you're not going to be dealing with much agony- that is this thing in game that damages you- anyway.) The thing about fractals and dungeons is sometimes in tier 4 (highest level) fractals, some people there can be toxic, and in dungeons too. One way to filter out nasty people for dungeons is to say 'watching clips', so it will attract people with more patience, and two years ago or so, in t4 dailies, whenever I listed up for t4 dailies (all welcome) and avoided groups asking for specific builds, it was pretty chill- people may quit in frustration of the dungeon but they won't yell.For Raids, I don't know as much as I don't do them, but I hear you can go to raid training and stuff. People can be more toxic with regards to raids.

Crafting isn't too bad, there are guides. If you sincerely hate crafting, you can find something that makes gold and buy stuff to complete out collections. There are also achievements.

The way I do it is I do the kind of content that I like, or find something i want to do. I love cute things and fashion wars 2, so often if there is a cute skin I want (all possible skins are visible via a tab @ a bank or crafting station), I'll look it up on the wiki and try out the activity needed to do that. Or I run out of transmutation charges, so I'll go farm them.

Once level 80, there are many things that feel 'progressy' beyond getting exotic, depending on what you are interested in.

One is leveling your crafting.One is doing all the dungeons, fractals, and then raids. (group combat content).One is doing all the achievements that you can do (There are some that are not going to be possible, but the others are.)One (which feels very progressy to me) is doing story until you complete it out.One is getting gliding & all the mounts (if you have the expacs). If you have the expacs, mounts are very much worth it in terms of quality of life. Nothing like flying on a dragon.

Regarding damage The best is if a kind soul can help ya, but sometimes looking at builds online is a good place to start for you to start understanding what traits do, and then after you get used to it, you can start tweaking to fit your playstyle better from there. I heard that there is a build where you try and have a lot of boons and also take the trait that makes you do more damage with boons. Stats do matter with your equipment, so make sure to take a look at what your stats do! Hope you are still enjoying the game~