ArenaNet has given up on me. 42 emails later and no resolution. Mac "Beta" client crashing on 10.15

aszy.3804

Good day fellow gamers. 12/5/2020 moved to a brand new MacBook Pro with Catalina. Over 120 game-client crashes and about 80 full OS hard crashes later with 42 emails of crash dumps, error dumps, snapshots, you name it. There is even one action that I can take that has a 100% crash rate - taking the 'elevator' in the Guild Hall. I did everything that support asked me to do to attempt to find a solution. Final straw came when I whined a bit about them asking me to install the X11 windowing system and XQuartz. Both of these packages have been deprecated by Apple since 2016 and were first introduced in 2009. Nothing in these two packages address the only consistent error code in all of the dumps - no matter where and how the crashes came about. CoherentUI is listed as the causative exception every single time. With my whine, they served me the door - stating that they have exhausted every avenue to resolve my issue. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has the client running on Catalina. Or Big Sur - for that matter. Be well , stay safe.

Probably has something to do with the coherent cache, They use the coherent UI (depreciated) to show the login windows and the TP.If they did any changes behind the scenes but didn't change the names of the resources probably it is causing the error (like trying to call a function which does not exists anymore) .

Have you tried cleaning the coherent cache? Instructions for Windows here (i don't know how to do that in Macos thou) . If you can't, Have you tried deleting the full game and installing it again?

@aszy.3804 said:Good day fellow gamers. 12/5/2020 moved to a brand new MacBook Pro with Catalina. Over 120 game-client crashes and about 80 full OS hard crashes later with 42 emails of crash dumps, error dumps, snapshots, you name it. There is even one action that I can take that has a 100% crash rate - taking the 'elevator' in the Guild Hall. I did everything that support asked me to do to attempt to find a solution. Final straw came when I whined a bit about them asking me to install the X11 windowing system and XQuartz. Both of these packages have been deprecated by Apple since 2016 and were first introduced in 2009. Nothing in these two packages address the only consistent error code in all of the dumps - no matter where and how the crashes came about. CoherentUI is listed as the causative exception every single time. With my whine, they served me the door - stating that they have exhausted every avenue to resolve my issue. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has the client running on Catalina. Or Big Sur - for that matter. Be well , stay safe.

Save yourself the time and install windows or Linux dual boot and run gw2 problem free. Happy camping!

A Windows machine is not on the table. I did not know that GW2 was supported natively on a Linux machine - only ran with Wine. For now, I'll use the old machine - now 6 years old running a appropriately old Mac OS X to play the game - works perfectly. No CoherentUI issues. No crashes. Mostly wanted to post a PSA.

• 2 weeks later...

@aszy.3804 said:A Windows machine is not on the table. I did not know that GW2 was supported natively on a Linux machine - only ran with Wine. For now, I'll use the old machine - now 6 years old running a appropriately old Mac OS X to play the game - works perfectly. No CoherentUI issues. No crashes. Mostly wanted to post a PSA.

Sadly there is no Native Linux version for Linux, but the game runs fine using WINE along with some other translation layers with minimum frame loss on some systems miles very.

Now to the Mac my New I am assuming you're on one of the new ARM based machines? The chances of getting GW2 to ever run on an arm machine is very slim due to the fact that the emulation technology apple wrote for X86-64 applications to their new arm processor was not made for the demands of video games secondly apple has pretty much dropped support for all 3D APIs outside their own (metal) I have not looked into if adding X11 and XQuartz is a workaround for the metal issue but having a background in UNIX it feels like that may be why they said to try it beyond that I hope you kept your previous X86 based machine to play Guild Wars on because I doubt Arena net has any ARM guys on staff who can port the engine.

Over 120 game-client crashes and about 80 full OS hard crashes later with 42 emails of crash dumps, error dumps, snapshots, you name it.

If you really experienced about 80(!!) full OS crashes, you should ask Apple what they did again.A game crashing the OS is not a problem of the game, but of the OS and/or hardware.

In the current millennium, a game must not be able to crash the machine.

@aszy.3804 said:A Windows machine is not on the table. I did not know that GW2 was supported natively on a Linux machine - only ran with Wine. For now, I'll use the old machine - now 6 years old running a appropriately old Mac OS X to play the game - works perfectly. No CoherentUI issues. No crashes. Mostly wanted to post a PSA.

In my personal experience, dualbooting with Linux was always fairly smooth on Macs. I would highly recommend doing so, then running GW2 through Wine - as others have already mentioned, it performs with relatively minimal losses in performance. IMO it wouldn't hurt to try, given that you always have your other, older machine that still runs the client as a backup.

I'm adding my voice to supporting Linux. You can get some distros that are quite Mac-like. Lutris makes setting up Guild Wars 2 a doddle—if not of British descent, a more recognisable parlance would be "piece of cake."

Here are some recommendations to note.

1.) Download the entire client! It's really important, downloading in the background can impact the game's performance, sometimes gravely;

2.) Try Gallium9 and D9VK, find out which works best for you as it tends to vary depending on the hardware;

3.) Glorious Eggroll's proton build has been said to yield a small framerate boost versus a default WINE install, so give that a try too;

4.) Make sure you're using ACO (do some research on this) as the consensus seems to be that it yields better performance.

@"Hypnowulf.7403" said:I'm adding my voice to supporting Linux. You can get some distros that are quite Mac-like. Lutris makes setting up Guild Wars 2 a doddle—if not of British descent, a more recognisable parlance would be "piece of cake."

Here are some recommendations to note.

2.) Try Gallium9 and D9VK, find out which works best for you as it tends to vary depending on the hardware;

4.) Make sure you're using ACO (do some research on this) as the consensus seems to be that it yields better performance.

ACO is a shader compiler for AMD cards.Gallium 9 works on modern Intel GPU and AMD cards.D9VK should work on all GPU with vulkan support.