Deldrimor Dwarf

cweker.7824

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dwarves I could see them possibly considering since I assume you could use everything Norn and just scale it down and voicelines could be reused too.Tengu not so much since the sheer amount of work involved in recreating every outfit/armor and rerecording every voiceline would be very expensive and time consuming, I get the appeal but I'm not sure why so many people want a race that would cost a lot of development time and budget that could be used elsewhere.

Last time I played as a dwarf was in Warhammer Age of Reckoning and it was one of the most incredible dwarfs model made in mmo history imo. Those in world of warcraft suck.. but the guild wars 2 dwarfs... maaaan.. they've got potential to be better than in warhammer.. I imagine them with those shiny skins we've got nowadays..

@cweker.7824 said:Last time I played as a dwarf was in Warhammer Age of Reckoning and it was one of the most incredible dwarfs model made in mmo history imo. Those in world of warcraft suck.. but the guild wars 2 dwarfs... maaaan.. they've got potential to be better than in warhammer.. I imagine them with those shiny skins we've got nowadays..

You think living stone statues would use armor skins really?

@Linken.6345 said:

@cweker.7824 said:Last time I played as a dwarf was in Warhammer Age of Reckoning and it was one of the most incredible dwarfs model made in mmo history imo. Those in world of warcraft suck.. but the guild wars 2 dwarfs... maaaan.. they've got potential to be better than in warhammer.. I imagine them with those shiny skins we've got nowadays..

I mean, could it hurt? Its been shown that they are not indestructible, and even something simple like a gambeson can dull blows and help prevent chips and cracks.

@anduriell.6280 said:We should have both, dwarves and tengus. With primordius back i don't understand we don't see them more often (the dwarves). Tengus are from Cantha right?

Dwarves have always been fighting the destroyers and primordus in the depths of Tyria. They are now introduced as we prepare to fight primordus.Thengy are originally from both Cantha and Tyria. They where in GW1 in Tyria as a regular enemy/trashmob with little to no backgroud except that they needed to be killed. In Factions they got more lore. The Tengu in factions where involved in the Tengu wars that ended in a peace treaty with the humans. So they where peacefull and more envolved in the story.

After GW1, the humans in Cantha become again hostile with the Tengu and tried to purge them, They have fled to Tyria and together with the Tyrian Tengu they founded the dominion of winds. They trade with the other races but stay secluded at least till not.

@Solanum.6983 said:Dwarves I could see them possibly considering since I assume you could use everything Norn and just scale it down and voicelines could be reused too.Tengu not so much since the sheer amount of work involved in recreating every outfit/armor and rerecording every voiceline would be very expensive and time consuming, I get the appeal but I'm not sure why so many people want a race that would cost a lot of development time and budget that could be used elsewhere.

This is a common misconception, Tengu were originally planned for release with the game and some parts of the engine were already built for it. For example, Tengu and Charr share rigging, so the devs wouldn't have to recreate every armor and outfit.

There would be adjustments, sure, but its like Sylvari compared to Human, not some kind of alien.

Tengu are often requested because they'd be the easiest race to add. Something difficult would be say, Centaurs.

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@Solanum.6983 said:Dwarves I could see them possibly considering since I assume you could use everything Norn and just scale it down and voicelines could be reused too.Tengu not so much since the sheer amount of work involved in recreating every outfit/armor and rerecording every voiceline would be very expensive and time consuming, I get the appeal but I'm not sure why so many people want a race that would cost a lot of development time and budget that could be used elsewhere.

This is a common misconception, Tengu were originally planned for release with the game and some parts of the engine were already built for it. For example, Tengu and Charr share rigging, so the devs wouldn't have to recreate every armor and outfit.

There would be adjustments, sure, but its like Sylvari compared to Human, not some kind of alien.

Tengu are often requested because they'd be the easiest race to add. Something difficult would be say, Centaurs.

I personally think Largos would be the easiest race to add, they're essentially just blue humans and voice lines would just need a distorted filter. Same with Dwarves being just small norn and also being able to reuse their voicelines.

Putting aside the work that adjusting every existing Charr armor/outfit to fit Tengu I think the biggest hurdle when it comes to adding a new race into the game is voicelines, I doubt they'd ever rerecord all the dialog in the game for a new race It's just way too much work to be worth it. If Tengu do come to the game as a playable race I wouldn't be surprised if they used preexisting voicelines

@Solanum.6983

I don’t think largos will be likely at all because,

1. They have giant wing like fins on their backs, so you wouldn’t be able to use back items.
  2. There is already a largos wing/fin back item skin from the gemstore.

Though perhaps they could make it so that the fins are just an addition to their armour or something? If they did that, they would still have the issue with adding the original fins as a non gemstore item, since many people already paid real money for that specific skin.

Addressing what you and @kharmin.7683 said about dwarves.I don’t see it happening over tengu and it would be very unlikely that we would get dwarves as a playable race.Lore wise, dwarves have all turned to stone, so there wouldn’t be a lot of customization available.Another point is that since we are getting a dwarf stone infusion that turns all your skin to stone just like a dwarf, it wouldn’t make sense to have dwarves as a race as well, since the infusion would contradict with it.The tone of the Rubicon states that they would be “forever transformed”, so I don’t know if they will ever turn back to normal. Perhaps there could be a way, or perhaps we are slightly misinterpreting the vague descriptions inside tome, since back in EotN, we didn’t know exactly what the Rite of the Great Dwarf entailed nor did we know what exactly a Great Destroyer was.Dwarves were part of the ancient races from the previous elder dragon rise.To me it would make more sense to have tengu come in as a playable race, because they have way more customization options, they are a “newer” race compared to the jotun, dwarves, etc and fit much better lore wise.

I personally would love either of them as a playable race, but I don’t want to get my hopes up high haha

If we ever get new races, tengu and largos are the most likely. I don't think we'll ever get stone dwarves, not on their current incarnation, but if we ever get to follow some kind of plot were dwarven spirits are reforged into new bodies, then I think dwarves would have great potential as a new playable race. Just like sylvari were an original take on elves, by making them plants, stone dwarves 2.0 could follow the same route, making their new bodies be built by using rocks and minerals.

Alternatively, I wouldn't be surprised if the third playable race was the sidhe / wardens instead, developing them as "sylvari but ancient and tall instead of young and short", or by giving them a golem-like appearance, their bodies made of stones and vines. Depends on the direction they take with them once we arrive to Cantha, for all we know they might end up being just sylvari with new character customization options.

@anduriell.6280 said:Tengus are from Cantha right?

Only 2 tribes are from Cantha, there are 3 from Tyria, plus an unknown one speculated to be from Elona.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:Combat tonic is likely. Definitely more believable than Tengu. They're just squat Norns.

Would be a great opportunity to sell a voiced combat tonic through the gem store.

@Ogwom.7940 said:I don’t think largos will be likely at all because,

1. They have giant wing like fins on their backs, so you wouldn’t be able to use back items.

You're assuming largos wings aren't backpacks in the first place. We don't know anything about them, and we've only met the assassins from their race. I mean, imagine meeting a ninja, and believing everyone in Japan looks and acts exactly like that ninja you just met.

Still, even if the wings were part of their bodies, helms hide asura ears and charr horns all the time, so it would be a non-issue.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Linken.6345 said:You think living stone statues would use armor skins really?

Yeah, I am still having a hard time believing that
all
of Tyria's dwarven population got transformed.Why? According to the lore, they were
all
, regardless of faction, connected to The Great Dwarf, and it was this connection that was the basis for the transformation ritual. Basically, due to this, no dwarf was able to avoid being subject to the ritual - If they didn't like it, still the best they could hope for was to delay the effect for a while.So, all of them eventually succumbing to the ritual is not exactly surprising or doubtful.

@Lonami.2987

@Ogwom.7940 said:I don’t think largos will be likely at all because,

You're assuming largos wings aren't backpacks in the first place. We don't know anything about them, and we've only met the assassins from their race. I mean, imagine meeting a ninja, and believing everyone in Japan looks and acts exactly like that ninja you just met.

Still, even if the wings were part of their bodies, helms hide asura ears and charr horns all the time, so it would be a non-issue.

No, I am not assuming that largos wings aren't backpacks. I already said exactly what you just said.

@Ogwom.7940 said:Though perhaps they could make it so that the fins are just an addition to their armour or something? If they did that, they would still have the issue with adding the original fins as a non gemstore item, since many people already paid real money for that specific skin.

I do one hundred percent agree though, that they could just hide it like how they do with asura ears, charr horns and etc.

@Lonami.2987 said:Alternatively, I wouldn't be surprised if the third playable race was the sidhe / wardens instead, developing them as "sylvari but ancient and tall instead of young and short", or by giving them a golem-like appearance, their bodies made of stones and vines. Depends on the direction they take with them once we arrive to Cantha, for all we know they might end up being just sylvari with new character customization options.

This would be pretty cool, but I am slightly doubtful that they would be playable, since we already have a plant based playable race.Maybe if they just happen to look like sylvari in GW2 and they get new hairstyles, I could see our sylvari characters getting more customization options too, like the Olmakhan in LS4/PoF.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

all
of Tyria's dwarven population got transformed.Why? According to the lore, they were
all
, regardless of faction, connected to The Great Dwarf, and it was this connection that was the basis for the transformation ritual. Basically, due to this, no dwarf was able to avoid being subject to the ritual - If they didn't like it, still the best they could hope for was to delay the effect for a while.So, all of them eventually succumbing to the ritual is not exactly surprising or doubtful.

Even so, magic exists in the world. Maybe some sort of quest to find something that would revert the dwarves from stone? Just a thought.

@kharmin.7683 said:

all
all

Even so, magic exists in the world. Maybe some sort of quest to find something that would revert the dwarves from stone? Just a thought.

I could see two things happening.

We either kill Primordus and all dwarves revert back to flesh and bones, or Primordus corrupts and destroys the remaining dwarves while we fight him.

@Ashantara.8731As far as we know, it seems that all dwarves were turned to stone, even the Stone Summit.We can see this with the corrupted Stone Summit in the Steel Strike mission, as Primordus seems to only corrupt stone.The parts of the Depths of Tyria that we explored in GW1 are an extremely large and vast place under Tyria and all the Dwarves there, reaching far and wide were turned to stone.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Yeah, I am still having a hard time believing that all of Tyria's dwarven population got transformed.But that's exactly what happened. That is what the Rite of the Great Dwarf was all about.

And because of this involuntary stone conversion, the Stone Summit Dwarves sought a solution to stop becoming stone,only to accidentally corrupting themselves with Primordus' magic, effectively becoming Lava/Destroyer Dwarves instead of Stone Dwarves.

@kharmin.7683 said:

all
all

they specifically said deldrimor dwarfs, what if there are other families that renounced the great dwarf and are living somewhere out of reach for now.a possible expansion, a legit way to add dwarfs.

@Linken.6345 said:

Maybe your character went to sleep naked one day and woke up as stone? Then while still sleepy put clothes on as normal, looked in the mirror and said: W.T.F?!

@Yggranya.5201 said:

Maybe your character went to sleep naked one day and woke up as stone? Then while still sleepy put clothes on as normal, looked in the mirror and said: W.T.F?!

Yea because you totaly dont see any part of your body before you put on clothes, like for example your hand? :astonished: