How about making the Griffon able to use updrafts?

Still all for it, i've suggested this idea a few times in the past myself.Would be nice to have some new mastery abilities that combine HoT and PoF masteries together and require points from both expansions to unlock, would give us something to spend all those useless extra points on :)

Griffons using updrafts is one of those cases with X Mastery and Y Mastery just fit together really well.Skyscale regaining flight time when inside an updraft would also fit well as would mounts regaining stamina when running over one of those recharging mushrooms.

@Eclipsiste.3251 said:I love my Griffon but like most players I find the Skyscale more useful 99.99% of the time.It's a shame to see such a glorious mount grounded because of a too stiff competition!So while playing in Bloodstone Fen I thought why not make the Griffon able to use updrafts? Give it more places and ways to be able to start from up high!I don't think it would outshine the Skyscale that way, but people might find it useful again, and I certainly would love to be able to hear its cooing while soaring through the sky!I know I'm probably not the first to have this idea, but what do you think of it?I think that is a great idea, if we can use updrafts while gliding i don't understand why the griffon can't. It is part bird after all.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Baddxian.3851 said:They
can't
use updrafts? How does that make any sense at all?!

I don't have either of the flying mounts yet, so I did not realize this, but it certainly dampens my enthusiasm for working towards the griffin...

Somewhere in one of the previous threads on this topic it was explained that griffons (and now, by extension skyscales) are too heavy to benefit from updrafts. Thus, the glider.

So then how can giant norn and charr use updrafts? Some of the norn and charr I see in the OP are sometimes larger and probably much heavier than griffins.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

can't

I don't have either of the flying mounts yet, so I did not realize this, but it certainly dampens my enthusiasm for working towards the griffin...

Somewhere in one of the previous threads on this topic it was explained that griffons (and now, by extension skyscales) are too heavy to benefit from updrafts. Thus, the glider.

So then how can giant norn and charr use updrafts? Some of the norn and charr I see in the OP are sometimes larger and probably much heavier than griffins.

Charr or Norn could not be larger and/or heavier than griffons, else griffons would never be able to carry them. Additionally, both races are able to use gliders for updrafts, so they can't be heavier than griffons.

@kharmin.7683 said:

can't

Charr or Norn could not be larger and/or heavier than griffons, else griffons would never be able to carry them. Additionally, both races are able to use gliders for updrafts, so they can't be heavier than griffons.

So it's just a matter of being able to do it in the game? Not about any logic or anything?So if the day would actually come where anet decides, Griffin can use the updrafts(Whether realistic or not, purely hypothetical), you would switch to: Okay, apparently they're not that heavy after all and can use Updrafts /shrug.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

can't

So it's just a matter of being able to do it in the game? Not about any logic or anything?So if the day would actually come where anet decides, Griffin can use the updrafts(Whether realistic or not, purely hypothetical), you would switch to: Okay, apparently they're not that heavy after all and can use Updrafts /shrug.

No, my first point was that it was lore related. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact post/quote, just my aged memory from being around these forums for much too long. Could it be done mechanically? Certainly, if Anet decides to allow mounts to use updrafts. I just recall it being said that the reason griffons couldn't use them (this was pre-skyscale when the griffon was still new and people were requesting updraft use for it) because lore-wise, they were too heavy. That was the reason given back then.

@kharmin.7683 said:I'm sure that if Anet could find a way to profit on making griffons able to use updrafts, they'd be all over it. I would think that enabling this would potentially take away from glider skin sales. /shrug

Might take away from glider skins, but that might be off-set by an increase in people going for Griffon and those skins too. Plus, with the cost of getting the Griffon and people that don't already have it going for it now, it would suck a little more gold out of the economy.

For the record, I'd like Griffons to use updraft too. And it wouldn't invalidate gliding for me - there are plenty of places that I glide and don't use my griffon.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

can't

You do know that the giffons you want use updrafts have their mass and the heavy norn/charr to deal with hence they cant use updrafts.

A griffon on its own should be able to no problemo.

Griffon is for me still the prevered mount over the Skyscale.Considering it's the only true flying mount (when properly used) it is VASTLY superior over the Skyscale and gliding for long distance horizontal traveling in the air.However they can work together beautifully.Same with updrafts we have in some maps, works great together with skyscale or griffon.Once you master the abbility to mount mid-air, it all makes sense.

Skyscale helps you to get up high, but has a worse glide-ratio than gliders.Once you wonder too far from where you start, it really starts to decent fast.That is where gliding brings you further, and the Griffon comes to life.The Griffon is capable of true flight, something neither gliding or the skyscale has.

I do not see a need for changes myself. Not as long as a Griffon can gain altitude on its own. (when fully mastered and properly used)

Part of me likes the idea, but as one that finds the Griffon already one of the best mounts out there, I do not see a need for it.