Bring Back Support For Guild Wars 1

@Eric The Dangerous.6209 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:If it does work out for you, then perhaps you can appeal to Microsoft to bring Windows XP back?

Jokes aside that'd be great....in my line of work, there's some software I use that requires me to keep machines that have Windows XP in conjunction with our Win10 machines.

--

To address the OP, I understand where you're coming from but at the same time I'm surprised GW1 is even still running. As you can/people apparently do still put money into the game, yes you should have access to support for issues, but I question why the game is still going when GW2 has been around as long as it has.

Its all about the money Lebowski... They make tons from xunlai storage panes and character slots. The game still has a huge player base (in pve, pvp, and pre-searing pve) It's sad that they let hackers run rough shot. A lot of players got either perma-banned due to their accounts being hacked then committing malicious activities while under the control of another party or had items lost that were irreplaceable lost (mini kanaxai, mini panda, or everlasting henchman tonic). What really chaps my rump is the fact that most of this happened in the great security breach of 2010-ish where someone found a backdoor to anets security. It's not like these players did anything to compromise their accounts. People would love to see new events or things added to pre-searing/post-searing and even skills tweaked but at the moment I'd just be happy to see ban accounts, deleted characters, and lost items fixed so that players feel like anet still care about them.

If people are getting banned for malicious activities then it looks like gw1 still have support.And how do we know these people did not do these activities and only blame other party when they got caught?EditUnsure if anet can even verify stuff from 11 years ago to see that deleted stuff/characters and other things from that breach can get fixed anymore mate.

@Pacificterror.7805 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:If it does work out for you, then perhaps you can appeal to Microsoft to bring Windows XP back?

Jokes aside that'd be great....in my line of work, there's some software I use that requires me to keep machines that have Windows XP in conjunction with our Win10 machines.

Someone is either a government or US military contractor... Or works for the same doctor I worked for many moons ago whose digital x-ray machine software only worked on XP...

@Linken.6345 said:

--

To address the OP, I understand where you're coming from but at the same time I'm surprised GW1 is even still running. As you can/people apparently do still put money into the game, yes you should have access to support for issues, but I question why the game is still going when GW2 has been around as long as it has.

Its all about the money Lebowski... They make tons from xunlai storage panes and character slots. The game still has a huge player base (in pve, pvp, and pre-searing pve) It's sad that they let hackers run rough shot. A lot of players got either perma-banned due to their accounts being hacked then committing malicious activities while under the control of another party or had items lost that were irreplaceable lost (mini kanaxai, mini panda, or everlasting henchman tonic). What really chaps my rump is the fact that most of this happened in the great security breach of 2010-ish where someone found a backdoor to anets security. It's not like these players did anything to compromise their accounts. People would love to see new events or things added to pre-searing/post-searing and even skills tweaked but at the moment I'd just be happy to see ban accounts, deleted characters, and lost items fixed so that players feel like anet still care about them.

If people are getting banned for malicious activities then it looks like gw1 still have support.And how do we know these people did not do these activities and only blame other party when they got caught?EditUnsure if anet can even verify stuff from 11 years ago to see that deleted stuff/characters and other things from that breach can get fixed anymore mate.

The bans are based on an automated system. They also have the ability to unban you, they just wont help you with any items stolen/characters deleted etc, whether they can fix stuff from 11 years ago or not it the goal is to get them to start helping now. It would be nice to have old accounts. items, and characters restored so some old players would be willing to come back but its also super important to help the newer players not get ruined by the lack of support currently in place.

As a person who enjoyed maintenance mode gw1 with some friends back on the steam sale, I don't think it's backwards to support gw1. The game still has a passionate playerbase who help newcomers, and the gameplay is fundamentally different to gw2 while premiering the features we know and love today (ie. fashion wars 1, no gear treadmill, achievement hunting...).

That being said, I can't see it being a smash hit like "golden age" '07 runescape, but gw1 would definately appeal to more traditional mmo players.

Started to play it as well - when there was a sale late 2019, with all campaigns in 1 bundle. Imo it should only have technical support to maintain the servers (which probably still exists ... and even for players and there hardware ... only not for certain operating systems, I think windows XP).

Other than that it does not need more. Since most new people probably only play it for the story/lore and achievements in GW2 (Hall of Monuments). I am doing it because of that. (For both reasons. Old story is interesting when you see how much they refer to it in GW2 by using names of historical places and people.)

The old players/fans that like the PvP can just play the old stuff as it is. As they remember it. Without further changes. (That could as well make stuff worse.)

This is unrealistic. I mean, besides, it would only further grow the MAGA* crowd and that's the last thing ArenaNet wants given how much they've been trying to deal with that narratively in the story.

It's an ancient game—play it for what it is or let it die. It's never going to see support again as only a tiny, very unprofitable niche plays it. No amount of entitlement is going to change that. Look at it this way: If you can fund the development of the first Guild Wars out of pocket? Do it! Try to get in touch with NCSoft and tell them that you want to bankroll the rebirth of the original Guild Wars.

I'd be the first person to say that capitalism sucks but that is the world we live in. ArenaNet is owned by NCSoft, NCSoft is a publically owned corporation, publically owned corporations are beholden to their shareholders. In order to gain Guild Wars 1 support, you'd have to convince their shareholders of the profitability of it. Right now, GW1 exists only in NCSoft's good graces as it generates PR. They seem to break even regarding server costs and the bare minimum of maintenance so they keep it running. Can you see where this is going, perhaps?

I hope so. The point is this: The more you clamour for content? The more you endanger the game. It makes your demographic seem discontent with GW1 and if there's no PR in just keeping it running? If you aren't happy with that? There's no reason for NCSoft to keep it running. We don't even know what the profits look like for it. For all we know, as I said, the only reason they're running it is because they think it might be marketing for Guild Wars 2. That the money generated by your playing of this game grants the original some worth. If that isn't the case, they could just sunset it.

In other words, you're hammering the nails into your own coffin. Entitled fans tend to be their own self-fulfilling prophecy of doom.

Just keep in mind that it isn't us you need to convince, nor ArenaNet for that matter—you need to be talking with NCSoft and their shareholders. All this is doing is making it look less and less worthwhile to keep Guild Wars 1 running. For every thread like this, you're really adding a nail to that coffin. If NCSoft execs see this, they might just shrug and decide to pull the plug and you'll have done that to yourself.

If you really enjoy Guild Wars 1—and I don't, so I am telling you this for your sake—then the best thing to do is quietly enjoy it while it lasts.

• Make Ascalon Great Again.

@Hypnowulf.7403 said:This is unrealistic. I mean, besides, it would only further grow the MAGA* crowd and that's the last thing ArenaNet wants given how much they've been trying to deal with that narratively in the story.

It's an ancient game—play it for what it is or let it die. It's never going to see support again as only a tiny, very unprofitable niche plays it. No amount of entitlement is going to change that. Look at it this way: If you can fund the development of the first Guild Wars out of pocket? Do it! Try to get in touch with NCSoft and tell them that you want to bankroll the rebirth of the original Guild Wars.

I'd be the first person to say that capitalism sucks but that is the world we live in. ArenaNet is owned by NCSoft, NCSoft is a publically owned corporation, publically owned corporations are beholden to their shareholders. In order to gain Guild Wars 1 support, you'd have to convince their shareholders of the profitability of it. Right now, GW1 exists only in NCSoft's good graces as it generates PR. They seem to break even regarding server costs and the bare minimum of maintenance so they keep it running. Can you see where this is going, perhaps?

I hope so. The point is this: The more you clamour for content? The more you endanger the game. It makes your demographic seem discontent with GW1 and if there's no PR in just keeping it running? If you aren't happy with that? There's no reason for NCSoft to keep it running. We don't even know what the profits look like for it. For all we know, as I said, the only reason they're running it is because they think it might be marketing for Guild Wars 2. That the money generated by your playing of this game grants the original some worth. If that isn't the case, they could just sunset it.

In other words, you're hammering the nails into your own coffin. Entitled fans tend to be their own self-fulfilling prophecy of doom.

Just keep in mind that it isn't us you need to convince, nor ArenaNet for that matter—you need to be talking with NCSoft and their shareholders. All this is doing is making it look less and less worthwhile to keep Guild Wars 1 running. For every thread like this, you're really adding a nail to that coffin. If NCSoft execs see this, they might just shrug and decide to pull the plug and you'll have done that to yourself.

If you really enjoy Guild Wars 1—and I don't, so I am telling you this for your sake—then the best thing to do is quietly enjoy it while it lasts.

• Make Ascalon Great Again.

Yeah, yeah, a lot of us are quite aware of your biases against GW1, it players, NCsoft, and Free Market capitalism, among various other things you like to bring up. Repeatedly. Its pretty rich for you to accuse GW1 vets of being entitled.

@"Sobx.1758" said:This is not gw1 forum btw :D

True - But since there is no official Guild Wars forum and this one is hosted under the "guildwars2.com" domain it seems appropriate to direct questions and concerns regarding Guild Wars in this direction. Especially since Anet have chosen the "guildwars2.com" domain as an outlet for Guild Wars news such as: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-guild-wars-anniversary-celebration-begins-tomorrow/

(Also: Guild Wars never had a 1 attached btw :D)

@Halandir.3609 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:This is not gw1 forum btw :D

True - But since there is no official Guild Wars forum and this one is hosted under the "guildwars2.com" domain it seems appropriate to direct questions and concerns regarding Guild Wars in this direction. Especially since Anet have chosen the "guildwars2.com" domain as an outlet for Guild Wars news such as:

(Also: Guild Wars never had a 1 attached btw :D)

It's also not uncommon for the 1 to get added in later on even if only informally to help reduce confusion when the specifics of the topic are broad enough where it could be either.

Such as in The Sims series. Many players refer to the original game as The Sims 1 to avoid confusion so that people don't think they're talking about the series as a whole.

As for the topic, if they are still selling it, they should do the bare minimum with regards to support. I've never played the game and don't know enough details to know if they do or do not.