LANGUAGE REQUEST/IDIOMA REQUISIÇÃO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@sorudo.9054 said:

@"Mouse.7382" said:Denied. I want any and all able time/resources spent on xpac/balance/etc.

I don't have any insight, but will one exclude the other, except for financially?I imagine that recording all audio files in a new language shouldn't load the developers other than adding a new language and link. The voice actors might cause an additional cost though. Is there something else that I haven't thought about?

the entire game till now needs that treatment, it would mean that they have to translate and record millions of lines just to get the core game ready.no seriously, it takes more resources to completely re-record and translate every single line than to add a new chapter.

It's not millions of lines. SWTOR is probably the MMORPG with the most spoken lines, and I'd guess it's around half a million lines by now - the hype train when it was getting ready to launch talked about 200,000 lines in fully voiced(1) conversations, etc. back then.

But there is lots more to it than just the main dialogue. Let's look at what would have to be translated:

• All the spoken lines (and then recorded in the new language).
  • All the names of items. Not such a problem for e.g. "Iron Sword", but an item like one in Allods Online might be a bit more of a problem: "Fine Mithril Sword of a very powerful glorious invincible hero scout with ruby inlays and platinum engraving in June language".
  • All the names of places, skills, crafting stuff, etc.
  • All the above for all new content. (Yes, there's an on-going cost imposed by adding a language.)

And of course jokes cannot be translated, but must be re-written. Example: The mini-golem mining pick tool thing makes (among other things) a groanish pun on the similarity between the sounds of "Orr" (place in the world) and "ore" (unrefined metal). In French, that wouldn't work, because "minérai" (ore) does not sound like "Orr". Instead, they rewrote the joke to play on "or" (gold) versus "Orr".

(1) "Fully voiced" is a contentious term. I've seen people claim that ESO is fully voiced, and yet I've never (outside of combat grunts and shrieks of pain as the character falls off cliffs) heard my character's voice in ESO. By "fully voiced", I mean where everyone in a conversation speaks, as in GW2 or SWTOR.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Dev response: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/444283/#Comment_444283

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:As I've said in the past -- in fact, I am quoted in this very thread -- we do not have plans to translate or localize Guild Wars 2 into any additional languages.

More information above, as I went into greater detail in the past. But the core answer still pertains: We will not be localizing Guild Wars 2, nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.

I don't understand how the thread is still going after this.

Already had the "it's not that hard" underestimate run around comments. As well as the huge confusion between need and want.

Now just missing the snide "I want it. The game needs it. It's such a good idea ... But Anet never do anything good" kind of snide comments.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:Dev response:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
As I've said in the past -- in fact, I am quoted in this very thread -- we do not have plans to translate or localize Guild Wars 2 into any additional languages.

More information above, as I went into greater detail in the past. But the core answer still pertains: We will not be localizing Guild Wars 2, nor accepting community localization, into any additional languages.

I don't understand how the thread is still going after this.

Already had the "it's not that hard" underestimate run around comments. As well as the huge confusion between need and want.

Now just missing the snide "I want it. The game needs it. It's such a good idea ... But Anet never do anything good" kind of snide comments.

I guess I'm one of those underestimating the job.I said it's not hard, but I also said that it's very time consuming. Two different things and I believe both applies here. They will need to hire translators for the project and counting in the time and all the voices, that would cost a lot of money which probably is the most important reason it will never be done.

Please, don't misinterpret my point. I think the chances of a new language are very slim, close to nonexisting.Only thing I can see is if someone can guarantee money back on all costs for the project and future maintenance and changes in relation to the new language. I don't believe that will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Moonkane.6789 said:Please we need a Portuguese translation !!!!!!

No, you want it. We don't need it.

@Peter.3901 said:For the most toxic community? please no.

@"StarPT.7431" said:If it is to add portuguese add european portuguese, not brazilian :P

Wow, lots of xenophobia going on here, huh?

There is nothing xenophobic in my post. Please do not claim me as such. Please edit your post.

I would, except that you came to a post written by a Brazilian to criticize what a Brazilian is requesting for the sake of the Brazilian community. I mean, this is like trying to tell what people from another community, other than yours, need based on what your community needs. If it's not your community, you don't have a say about it. Plus, by excluding "you (Brazilians that need translation)" from "we " as you did in your comment, you're saying that Brazilians are not included among the player community, which, to me, sounds a little xenophobic. And to be honest, I am Brazilian, I have zero problems playing the game in English and I still DISAGREE that we should get things translated. Not because the rest of the Brazilian community doesn't need it, but because I understand it might not be "profitable" or "practical" as you mentioned before. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but you could have been more careful with your words towards other nationalities.

@"marielleberto.3865" said:If it's not your community, you don't have a say about it. Plus, by excluding "you (Brazilians that need translation)" from "we " as you did in your comment, you're saying that Brazilians are not included among the player community, which, to me, sounds a little xenophobic.First, it was not "you (Brazilians)". It was most likely the personal you. Sure, posters asking for translations may be all Brazilian, but they aren't exactly representatives of the whole Brazilian community. They may think they are, but in the end they speak only for themselves. Second, there's a massive difference between want and need. Many (although, i am sure, not all) Brazilians playing this game may indeed want the portugese translation, but i doubt most actually need it. And if they do, they are unlikely to post on the forums about it. In english.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"marielleberto.3865" said:If it's not your community, you don't have a say about it. Plus, by excluding "you (Brazilians that need translation)" from "we " as you did in your comment, you're saying that Brazilians are not included among the player community, which, to me, sounds a little xenophobic.First, it was not "you (Brazilians)". It was most likely the personal you. Sure, posters asking for translations may be all Brazilian, but they aren't exactly representatives of the whole Brazilian community. They may
think
they are, but in the end they speak only for themselves. Second, there's a massive difference between want and need. Many (although, i am sure, not
all
) Brazilians playing this game may indeed want the portugese translation, but i doubt most actually
need
it. And if they do, they are unlikely to post on the forums about it. In
english

Sure, friend! Because Google Translator doesn't exist yet for them to post here in English.

@marielleberto.3865 said:

@marielleberto.3865 said:If it's not your community, you don't have a say about it. Plus, by excluding "you (Brazilians that need translation)" from "we " as you did in your comment, you're saying that Brazilians are not included among the player community, which, to me, sounds a little xenophobic.First, it was not "you (Brazilians)". It was most likely the personal you. Sure, posters asking for translations may be all Brazilian, but they aren't exactly representatives of the whole Brazilian community. They may
think
they are, but in the end they speak only for themselves. Second, there's a massive difference between want and need. Many (although, i am sure, not
all
) Brazilians playing this game may indeed want the portugese translation, but i doubt most actually
need
english

Sure, friend! Because Google Translator doesn't exist yet for them to post here in English.

Hey why not use google translate to translate each line of the story then?

@marielleberto.3865 said:

@marielleberto.3865 said:If it's not your community, you don't have a say about it. Plus, by excluding "you (Brazilians that need translation)" from "we " as you did in your comment, you're saying that Brazilians are not included among the player community, which, to me, sounds a little xenophobic.First, it was not "you (Brazilians)". It was most likely the personal you. Sure, posters asking for translations may be all Brazilian, but they aren't exactly representatives of the whole Brazilian community. They may
think
all
need
english

Sure, friend! Because Google Translator doesn't exist yet for them to post here in English.Oh, please. Out of all the arguments you responded only to the least relevant. So, i guess all the others
were
spot on.

@Linken.6345 said:

think
all
need
english

Hey why not use google translate to translate each line of the story then?

Huh. Sure, that sounds very viable.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

think
all
need
english

Sure, friend! Because Google Translator doesn't exist yet for them to post here in English.Oh, please. Out of all the arguments you responded only to the least relevant. So, i guess all the others
were
spot on.

Sure :) whatever helps you sleep at night.

I really doubt they'll add any new language, even if Gaile's post (sigh) is old. The only idea that comes to my mind, is allowing players to translate the subtitles using an API to display them on a different chat tab, as overlay. We know Anet doesn't want that people can modify/edit their game (righteous, like any other company), so the only alternative (maybe) is to add the translation to the existing game. But the game itself would remain in English, for example during the Mad King says.It would be interesting to see if the community would be able to organise a good work, for example using a wiki, or if we ended up with dozens of versions, including eventually some "funny"/bad joke. Maybe it's too risky for ArenaNet.

Brazil has a huge community of gamers, for those who don't know, Brazil has 213+ million population and a large part of the population cannot speak English due to the lack of investment in education in the country. Portuguese is the fifth main language in the world.Many of the players who comment on a translation here, have friends who do not play the game because they do not understand the language.I know it would be laborious to add another translation (without audio, just subtitles), but it could be a way for the company to attract more players (more players = more profit).It's just my opinion.PS: I'm not Brazilian, but my main language is Portuguese :)

I'm a professional translator, but not for Portuguese and English. But I have an honest question that you may be able to answer.

In the past I have played a few MMOs that are not localized/translated into Portuguese, but as you say the Portuguese speaking community (primarily Brazilians) is huge, probably second to the English speaking population. Do you know why this is? Are MMOs just a popular genre in Brazil? Are other MMOs available in Portuguese? I am just genuinely curious since this is something I've noticed dabbling in MMOs (without Portuguese language support) since the early 2000s.

Edit: Also, although I don't know what translation rates for ENG>PT would be, but I imagine it would be pretty costly considering if it is anywhere near what I see in the Japanese-English translation market.

@firedragon.8953 from my experience, the main reason is the low profit. I work in a videogame company and we localize games in EFIGS (English, French, Italian, German, Spanish) plus Russian and Dutch. Not in Portuguese (anymore). But we did it some years ago, then we stopped. As you say, Brazil has a huge community of gamers (we had a whole server for BR players in the MMO that I played before), but videogames cost a lot in Brazil and few people buy them. A big community doesn't necessarily mean more money, because the economy can be very different in those countries. Italian for example, is considered one of the main languages in Europe, but GW2 is not localized in Italian (GW1 was), because few Italians actually buy original videogames, even though the game community is quite big.

• 2 months later...