Returning player looking for advice on getting back into fractals.

Sparkly.9258

Hey! I just came back after a long hiatus, and I'm incredibly rusty and forgot a lot about the game. I have a heal brand in full ascended with 150 AR (I have no potions, I think that's what I was last working on getting), but I'm so out of touch with the game that I'm a bit nervous to jump back into T3 pugs and mess up the runs for people.

Does anyone have advice on where I should start or what I should do to get back into the swing of things with fractals? Should I just jump into t2 pugs for a while or something?

Oh yeah, I'm also using full harrier's, but a video I watched was strongly suggesting minstrel's instead. Could anyone provide some additional insight on that?

Just jump into T1/T2 and get the feet wet, then move up the difficulty as you fee more confident. There may be some new fractals since you last played, so hitting those up at T1/T2 to learn may also be of benefit.

I am betting though that after a few runs you will have the flow back and be ready for the high end.

Start with T1/T2 to get a feeling for it again and work your way up.

And, unless your party consists of extremely high skilled players, you are best off skipping Sunqua Peak when it's daily.It's rather long, not really rewarding and there is a high chance it'll bug out at the final boss after wiping, making it literally impossible to complete.

@"Sparkly.9258" said:Hey! I just came back after a long hiatus, and I'm incredibly rusty and forgot a lot about the game. I have a heal brand in full ascended with 150 AR (I have no potions, I think that's what I was last working on getting), but I'm so out of touch with the game that I'm a bit nervous to jump back into T3 pugs and mess up the runs for people.

Does anyone have advice on where I should start or what I should do to get back into the swing of things with fractals? Should I just jump into t2 pugs for a while or something?

Oh yeah, I'm also using full harrier's, but a video I watched was strongly suggesting minstrel's instead. Could anyone provide some additional insight on that?

I don't know who suggested you to run minstriel, but link me the video I'll go and dislike it lol. Harrier is the way to go. You should know that tier 3 fractals are actually the hardest. The most high end Challenge Motes are way easier than t3s for me because everyone in tier 3s are bad and normally there are lack of playerbase there. Practice a lil bit and get to t4s, things will be much easier there as groups will become better, don't be humble, you can do it. High dps in fractals makes skip most of the mechanics and firebrand is there just to make it easier. Your 1st job is the boons, heals are just a nice addition. If somebody says "bad heals" to you, remind them that skilled players do fractals with no heals. Actually when you really get back to the game you will learn that best way to run fractals is without heals. You run dps/boon variant of firebrand there and you keep killing bosses before they do any damage. But it is only doable in high KP groups, because everyone should play perfectly.But for now run full harrier you'll be fine. Don't even think about minstriel it is so shameful that it hurts.Here is a link for you from a very good firebrand player with good explanations:

I suggest you learn the Valor variant 1st as it is the easiest, you can camp staff and just use your skills. After you get to CMs (challenge modes in last 3 t4 fractals) beat some of those, switch to radiance and use the signet it will make your team hit harder. After you learn that too and get high KP (killproofs in CMs) yet again switch to quickness/dps firebrand (not mentionned in the video, but at that point you'll know what I'm talking about now) and look for groups with no heals or at worst with renegade heals and be the real fractal god. Good luck on fractals.And lastly here is a good link to a site from one of the best fractal guilds in GW2 for builds and stuff: https://discretize.eu/

Do T2 then T4, then back to T3.T2 to relearn general.T4 to relearn how instab and spike damage affect healing.T3 to wrap up and confirm you have relearned. Keeping inexperienced T3 groups without pots can be much harder than a semi-experienced or better T4 group.

Certain fractals are better self tests like the mentioned Sunqua.

Hey! I know this is a few days late, but I just wanted to reply and say thank you to everyone who responded. There's a lot of useful information for me posted here and I also feel more confident about getting into that first t4 run some time, after reading these replies. Thanks again!

@Fueki.4753 said:Start with T1/T2 to get a feeling for it again and work your way up.

And, unless your party consists of extremely high skilled players, you are best off skipping Sunqua Peak when it's daily.It's rather long, not really rewarding and there is a high chance it'll bug out at the final boss after wiping, making it literally impossible to complete.

Just ignore this. All normal fractals should be no problem if you use one of the meta builds. Also the bug occuring at the final boss just adds another dps check which can almost be completed by a single player in t1-2.You cant really mess up t3 runs since 99% of the players there dont know what they are doing. Carrying them is the only way to succeed there. Get used to the combat system and read the fractal guides on discretize. You are good to join t4s then.

I came back to GW2 last year after a 3 year break. I joined a friendly guild that runs fractals every Monday. I started running frax again with them first before pugs. If you cannot find a guild go now, just run some t1s with pugs until youre back on track. Just don't immediately go for T4s with pugs, since they tend to be kind of toxic with returning and new players.