Gift of exploration

@"Luthan.5236" said:Those weapons are meant to take some time to obtain them. Afaik the later ones use gifts from the desert where you still need to do completion. (And you can only buy them once per char that did completion?) Yes they are much easier to get ... less maps. But aren't other things there more expensive. (Other gifts needed for those later legendaries?)

You have still the option to get different types of legendaries. Or just using ascended stuff. And for skins there are also a lot of other skins. If you raelly want to get every legendary at least once ... you are meant to spend a lot of time for it.

Personalyl I haven't even crafted one legendary weapon yet. (I only have the backpack from PvP since it was cheap. And the trinkets next because they had nice collections as well.) Have 2 gifts of exploration in the bank - from my main. And I might use them later. Then some other ones from the desert for other legendaries. If I only use 1 main (and maybe 2-3 other chars I play a lot) I might not need that many legendaries. Unless I play a class with lots of different weapons and often want to change builds to use different weapons (and want all of the weapons the class can use).

"Meant to" yeah but as others have said you can just whop out your card and buy gems and transfer to gold. Even a new playing can spend minutes to get multiple legendary weapons, anyway.

This thread wasnt meant to be taken seriously and It is kinda nice seeing people different views. This will also be my 4th map clear and the other 3 was during wvw times so yeah... been there, done that. Would be nice if you have already unlocked goe then we could transfer spirit shards as atm they do sod all.

True. Still the gold you earn ingame takes time to earn. And converting gems to gold is really inefficient/expensive. (Different exchange course than when converting gems to gold.) They would still need to spend time in real life to earn money which they can use to buy gems. (Unless they are lucky and just have tons of money inherited or won.)

The weapons on the trading post still needed someone to do this work (and then put it on the TP). If the gift was sold directly for gems there would be no changes in the price (determined by supply/demand). Fixed gem price. And nobody would have to do the completion anymore. They could just vanish from the TP if the price for gems was cheaper than what the players would consider a reasonable amount for farming the gifts. (Which they later include in their total price for the weapon.)

Also players that sell would have to do the work again for themselves (or getting anothe legendary). If they sold 1 and needed 1 more gift for another one for themselves. (In case of 2 gifts: If they sell 2 weapons. Or if they keep 1 for themselves selling another one ... but later want 1 more for themselves.)

Thing might get players to re-visit old maps. Even if they rush them with mounts ... those maps might look a bit more popular. (Maybe a few of them help new players playing there by answering questions or reviving, etc.)

A lot of stuff ArenaNet does ... seems to focus on bringing people to old maps. (Certain achievements and collections.)

Edit: So the question maybe should be: Why isn't the gift sellable directly on the TP? For some other gifts you basically can buy all of the stuff you need for them on TP. Then just but it in the mystic forge and get the gift.

@Luthan.5236 said:True. Still the gold you earn ingame takes time to earn. And converting gems to gold is really inefficient/expensive. (Different exchange course than when converting gems to gold.) They would still need to spend time in real life to earn money which they can use to buy gems. (Unless they are lucky and just have tons of money inherited or won.)

It’s not inefficient. It costs like $5.31 for 100G. The hourly pay rate IRL is greater than $5.31 and you’d be very hard pressed to find anything that consistently awards over 100G per hour in the game. Legendary weapons are expensive whether you buy them off the TP or craft them.

The weapons on the trading post still needed someone to do this work (and then put it on the TP). If the gift was sold directly for gems there would be no changes in the price (determined by supply/demand). Fixed gem price. And nobody would have to do the completion anymore. They could just vanish from the TP if the price for gems was cheaper than what the players would consider a reasonable amount for farming the gifts. (Which they later include in their total price for the weapon.)

There would be a change. Adding a means to purchase something at a fixed cost almost always impacts the prices when it comes to the TP.

If someone is willing to buy the gift then they can simply buy the legendary weapon off the TP.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the necro but this topic is interesting to me, because I have gifts of exploration sitting in my bank and I don't do anything with them.

I wouldn't mind if I could sell them on the TP. I haven't done many legendaries, especially the first generation. I made Twilight and Dusk and next week after the patch I'll get Eternity but that doesn't require anything like that and then I'm done with Gen1.

However, I do enjoy map completion from time to time and so I have 4 gifts of exploration sitting in my bank and 2 more will soon follow. I've heard of people selling them through some other methods where they give all the remaining mats so they can complete the legendary but why not make that process a little easier then if people do it anyway. 

And that way you don't have to have trust issues. So no for putting them on the gem store but if they could be sold in the TP I'd do it. I don't need them anymore anyway.

6 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Sorry for the necro but this topic is interesting to me, because I have gifts of exploration sitting in my bank and I don't do anything with them.

I wouldn't mind if I could sell them on the TP. I haven't done many legendaries, especially the first generation. I made Twilight and Dusk and next week after the patch I'll get Eternity but that doesn't require anything like that and then I'm done with Gen1.

However, I do enjoy map completion from time to time and so I have 4 gifts of exploration sitting in my bank and 2 more will soon follow. I've heard of people selling them through some other methods where they give all the remaining mats so they can complete the legendary but why not make that process a little easier then if people do it anyway. 

And that way you don't have to have trust issues. So no for putting them on the gem store but if they could be sold in the TP I'd do it. I don't need them anymore anyway.

Who enjoys map completion just for the sake of map completion and don't want gift of exploration? Maybe some ppl do love to complete those heart for no reason over and over... Different ppl, different mindset...

Or....

A person who is in need of some quick gold now that legy armory is announced and is keen on making some legendary but need the mats and gold to craft one?

Or....

A whale posing as a commoner to make even more money by convincing anet to make the gift of exploration sellable on tp?🤔

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 1/19/2021 at 10:05 PM, Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

"Meant to" yeah but as others have said you can just whop out your card and buy gems and transfer to gold. Even a new playing can spend minutes to get multiple legendary weapons, anyway.

This thread wasnt meant to be taken seriously and It is kinda nice seeing people different views. This will also be my 4th map clear and the other 3 was during wvw times so yeah... been there, done that. Would be nice if you have already unlocked goe then we could transfer spirit shards as atm they do sod all.

Having done 16 map completes I can understand why you'd be tired of it. Still, I don't think it should be changed (and I only have 3 gifts of exploration left lol).

I've done a fair number of map completions, without any specific need for the gifts of exploration.

For my characters that have not done map completion, I have one that I nominate to work on it.  For the daily gathering or vista viewing, I take that character to a section of the map they haven't explored, doing the daily, and also any hearts in the area.  Thus, over the course of a few months, the character will finish off all the maps and get the gift.  But this done in just small segments of time every day or two (depending on the dailies)

How about letting people who have already done map completion buy new Gifts of Exploration for a million karma. It's not cheap but rewards old players that have been doing map completion already and might rather be sick of doing the same thing over and over. I have made 20 legendary weapons and have all the armors and so on.

I have millions of karma and nothing to buy with it. Please save the dying nerves in my hands and arms from yet more damage. Map completion gets really old after 10th time.

On 1/18/2021 at 3:58 AM, Rockin Twilight Sparkle.26 said:

Map completion used to require WvW mapsTHAT was the definition of pain

my first map completion took 3 weeks longer than it needed because the server I was on was getting smashed and I needed a POI. Had to wait a long time to get it.

5 hours ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Who enjoys map completion just for the sake of map completion and don't want gift of exploration? Maybe some ppl do love to complete those heart for no reason over and over... Different ppl, different mindset...

Or....

A person who is in need of some quick gold now that legy armory is announced and is keen on making some legendary but need the mats and gold to craft one?

Or....

A whale posing as a commoner to make even more money by convincing anet to make the gift of exploration sellable on tp?🤔

Is it really so hard to believe that different people like different things that you have to invent ulterior motives to explain it?

My entire country is currently hyped up about a sport I've literally fallen asleep watching because I found it so dull, but I can still accept that they genuinely enjoy it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Is it really so hard to believe that different people like different things that you have to invent ulterior motives to explain it?

My entire country is currently hyped up about a sport I've literally fallen asleep watching because I found it so dull, but I can still accept that they genuinely enjoy it.

Don't mind my comment... I had varying mixed thoughts about that post.

I thought if anet made the gift sellable, a lot of casual ppl would sell the gift in tp and ppl buying those gifts would be mostly rich and their next step is to hoard or clean the market of t6 mats and hike the price of t6 mats... So ppl who like to craft their legendary would have to spend exorbitant price to buy t6 mats for the mystic tribute and gift of fortune... Ppl in forums would plainly dismiss that is just a supply demand thing and we would sit on our hands with mat prices soaring up to 1g, 1.5g ~ 2g reaching mystic coin prices or similar idk... It's possible

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871

On 7/9/2021 at 5:22 AM, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Or....

Or....

Well, I enjoy map completion for the sake of it. Not too often, but yeah, I enjoy doing it. I really think it's uncalled for to make such insinuations about me as a person. I don't need to make gold, nor am I a whale. I just have them sitting in my bank and I made all the gen1 legendaries that I like (twilight, sunrise and eternity). So I will get them and then they sit in my bank. What use is that?