@Mahkno.7593 said:mac users should get a discount on PoF or a gift of gems as an apology for the broken client :+1:

In fairness it's no secret that the Mac client is very much a work in progress. I'm optimistic that it'll improve with time (and the client seems to be steadily improving already), and in all fairness, nobody buys a Mac expecting excellent gaming performance.

With that said, I likely won't buy PoF until performance improves or until I can be bothered to dual boot Windows (I stopped recently because I decided I'd rather just have the extra disk space). The performance is pretty poor already in HoT areas - I dread to think what the PoF zones will do to the Mac client.

A part of me wants to joke about you not knowing how good you have things - as someone who has played Guild Wars 2 since launch honestly, the situation is a million times better now with the native testing client than it once was, having the choice of Wine where the performance was subpar or the official Cider port which had poor quality audio, didn't support windowed fullscreen mode (fullscreen mode would turn your other monitors black - as someone with 3 monitors this was upsetting) and simply didn't look nearly as nice graphically as what we have now.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Murdoc.2854 said:I'm not sure if this was in the old thread or not, but the only problem I'm having with the mac client (64-bit) is the effect circles that are usually on the ground don't stay there. The same thing happens with the circles of an NPC or player when you have them selected and all the ground damage from players/mobs. This makes some of the new fractals very difficult to do because you can't quite tell where things are happening.

I am seeing this issue as well. I will admit it's made me a better player, but I would love to have the targeting circles back.

I work in the games industry and I think I know the cause of the issue:The targeting circles appear to be a ground based projection decal. I get brief glimpses of them when an enemy/npc is on on very uneven terrain or by adjusting my camera angle to extremes.

This leads me to suspect that the Mac 64 client is projecting the ground circles horizontally instead of vertically.

Please pass this along to the artists or programmers involved. It would be a simple fix to check how those projected decals are attached to enemies and NPCs.

This bug will make the game almost unplayable for newer players. Please prioritize a fix. Thanks for your time and continued efforts on the Mac Client.

I still have to use the 32bit client because the F abilities don't work right on my mouse that use that has the number key pad on the side. I changed the F abilities to Shift+1 etc. and it keeps doing the regular 1 ability instead of Shift+1. It is ashame because I really want to use the 64bit client during PoF but it looks like I'm going to have to stick with the 32 bit client.

@Moesmaker.9581 said:Let me add some positive news: the new client works flawless for me. No keyboard error, no crashes, just enjoyable gameplay. Period.

(Playing on a brand new mid 2017 iMac though)

A thousand times this. I absolutely love to complain and I admit the performance isn't where I'd like it to be all of the time but for the most part it runs really, really well. I actually stopped playing the game for a while previously because of the issues with the Mac client but with the current one? It's not perfect but it's absolutely playable and for the most part I am very, very happy with how things are going.

I'm actually playing on a hackintosh because I'm mental - i7-4790k / Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / 1TB SSD.

Any performance issues I can tolerate for now. I am sure if I used the same graphics settings as we pretty much had to on the 32 bit client it would scream but now almost everything is maxed out. The same with graphics issues (most of which get resolved with turning ambient occlusion off, I just wish it would STAY off). The one biggie for me is the keyboard bug: it does not bite often but when it does it is usually at the most inconvenient time.

@Moesmaker.9581 said:Let me add some positive news: the new client works flawless for me. No keyboard error, no crashes, just enjoyable gameplay. Period.

(Playing on a brand new mid 2017 iMac though)

Yes, +1 on this. I'm really sorry for all the players that still encounters bad experience on the new 64 client and hope Anet can find a quick fix but for me it is day and night between the 32 and 64.I have been able to increase some of the graphic settings , resolution is 1680x1050 and it is very enjoyable so far. Of course graphic are not perfect as I run the game on the Intel chipset (on a mid 2014 MBpro) and not a dedicated Nvidia card so it is not as good as it could be. Nevertheless and most importantly for me, the game is very stable. On the 32 version it was almost impossible to complete a large event like Tequatl, Jormag, or Jungle wurms without crashing 4 times at least. Now I can just play without stress...

Of course fps is lower than the 32b, about 30-35 when standing in front of something "still" and usually around 18-24 when fighting, but strangely it seems more fluid/smoother than on the 32. Also I have noticed since my last post on the other thread that buying/selling things on the Trading Post has improved(it was very slow).

The things that needs to be improved yet: It is still a lot "jerky" when moving the full screen map.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)2,2 GHz Intel Core i716 GB 1600 MHz DDR3Intel Iris Pro 1536 MBMacOS Sierra 10.12.6

Welp, giving it one last attempt at an answer. Do you guys think the "display" settings in the control pannel might be interfering with my graphics? I have resolution set to "default for display" and Color set to "Color LCD"? Not sure if this would have anything to do with it but don't know what else to do. I also deleted gw2 and am currently redownloading the client again as one final last hurrah before PoF. For the love of God and all that is good, PLLEEEEAAAAASE give use the option to download the 32 bit client for patch tomorrow. I know I was able to log in and use the 32 bit just fine for awhile during the demo. Even if there are expected issues with the 32 bit and PoF, at least give us the option to choose between the 32 bit issues and 64 bit issues.

@"Xstein.2187" said:Welp, giving it one last attempt at an answer. Do you guys think the "display" settings in the control pannel might be interfering with my graphics? I have resolution set to "default for display" and Color set to "Color LCD"? Not sure if this would have anything to do with it but don't know what else to do. I also deleted gw2 and am currently redownloading the client again as one final last hurrah before PoF. For the love of God and all that is good, PLLEEEEAAAAASE give use the option to download the 32 bit client for patch tomorrow. I know I was able to log in and use the 32 bit just fine for awhile during the demo. Even if there are expected issues with the 32 bit and PoF, at least give us the option to choose between the 32 bit issues and 64 bit issues.

We cannot distribute the 32-bit client anymore. Sometimes these things don't happen for technical reasons.

As for your coloring issues, we have several graphical bugs that we are investigating which may be related.

I understand. At least you are doing what you can. Thanks you very much for the reply, especially so soon before the patch. I know that there is a lot behind the scenes that many of us don't know about, but it at least didn't hurt to ask. I'm guessing these "technical reasons" would also be reasons not to download the 32 bit client posted here? https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/2905/going-back-to-32-bit-version-for-mac-how#latest

@evestr.6842 said:The previous forum thread was a bit overwhelming to comb through so I appreciate kind of a fresh start. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what was already said so that I don't repeat it. I've been running the 64-bit client on an iMac (mid-2011/16 GB RAM/i7/Sierra) but I read that it was recommended for newer Macs. Should I be running the old Mac-Beta instead? I currently play the game on Windows through Bootcamp we well, as I prefer it to the Mac-Beta, though a native mac client I can run on my current system would be ideal. The 64-bit runs ok, but loading screens are much longer than they ever have been (on the Mac-Beta or Windows) and I have lighting/shadow and texture issues along with the following:

• Missing or replaced clothing and skin textures on Character Select
  • Face textures appear low-res (mainly noticeable on Human/Norn but visible on other races as well).
  • Characters have an eternal shadow over them unless facing a direct light source.
  • UI, gliders, other player characters and nodes take a pretty long while to load.
  • Random crashes. (I can't figure out if this last one happens because of the client or my system, to be honest.)

Is there anything I should be providing that I haven't yet? Should I not be using the 64-bit client on my current (older) iMac? Whatever the answer is, I still appreciate the effort of bringing us a Mac client. I'd just love to be able to actually run it. :D Thanks for all the hard work.

For what I tried, you can't go back to 32-Bit, I launched (yesterday) the 2016 client I still have on my Mac.There were patches first then the download of the 64-Bit (still downloading now).I 've been running the 64-bit client on a Mac Mini (mid-2011/8Gb Ram/El Capitan), because of login freezings with the 32-bit version and some in game crashes.Unfortunately, 64-Bit chrashes everytime about 20 minutes after login. Everytime I launch it.Support via ticket was not able to find a solution, they say it probably is a graphic or software issue regarding the Mac.Fact is, the Mac has problems only with GW2, while it normally works with each and every different application.Crashes involve " Signal: Abort trap: 6 " and " Failed to resolve AimIK bone indices. "The only odd thing I noticed in game is that Resolution (in Options) has reduced the choice to Window size and Full size (1920x1080), while different resolutions disappeared from the menu. Apart from that the game works well.At least with the 32-bit I could play but now I am stucked.

This is my only computer, I can't play the game until this issue is solved.

Presume this is the right place to put this.

Don't have any solid evidence to support this but since the POF release my GFs version of the game on Mac has crashed about 4-5 times in the space of 2 hours game play, compared to the last few weeks of gaming which had 2 crashes mid game. She has most of the graphics and char limits set to low or lowest to stop most crashes as well.

The entire Mac client 64-bit is honestly horrendous. I'm sorry to write a post in such a negative light, but I am not even able to play the new Path of Fire expansion without numerous display bugs, constant lagging and the client's inability to load even idle NPCs! I have no idea what urged the developers to ship this client alongside an expansion release, but it has been nothing but a liability since I was forced to download it just so I can log in.

I cannot even re-download the older Mac version of the game (that worked drastically better) because there was a crash earlier today that resulted in a non-respondant game launcher. I've been turning my Mac on and off ALL DAY assuming it was a problem of mine, and then on the accounts page I find that the download for the older client has been removed altogether! Thus forcing me to use the faulty 64-bit client which has further disrupted the day.

I have honestly had the worst experience with the game today that I have ever had since it launched in 2012, and I am not even able to sit here and enjoy the expansion with the Mac 64-bit client bugging so unbelievably that you wind up logging off. I mean, seriously! The game is struggling to load what's even around my character when he's standing still and unmounted! Whether that be on low or high settings! Let alone if I dared to enter an instance or explore the area (like you're supposed to do with an expansion.)

Did any developers actually test the new expansion with the Mac 64-bit client before they dumped it on us on such a vital day?! Very disappointed and extremely aggravated by the entire day of Path Of Fire's release. The Guild Wars 2 Mac community honestly receives very little care and effort when it comes to anything to do with the game. It's like you've taken something that was buggy but worked initially, and then forced us to use an even worse version on a day of heavy content.

Please allow us to re-download the old client! I can't stress this enough. 64-bit was not ready for release!

@TheSlothArmada.6709 said:32-bit Client isn't working anymore. . .I'm now stuck with the dysfunctional 64-bit client.

Almost nothing loads in, even after standing in the same place for ten minutes. Can't PvP now.I tried some fractals; I got kicked every time for taking 2-3 minutes to load in since people thought I disconnected.

I'm having the exact same issue. It's infuriating! The 64-bit client was nowhere near ready for release and we can't even use the 32-bit client due a missing download on the accounts page. What a ridiculous day to screw up the Mac client.

Playing on Newest MacBook Pro with touchbar (base line model)

Since playing on the 64 bit client (on all lowest settings) , the FPS have dropped massively ( between 10-15 fps in LA compared to a steady 30 fps on the old client on higher setting), which is a shame as this makes playing the new expansion not really enjoyable and I would not have purchased it if I knew I had to end up playing the game in something close to a slideshow

I have also noticed a couple of graphical bugs, but I really don't car about them as long as I can play the game at a decent FPS

Also I don't understand why we are not able to download the 32 bit client anymore, considering we were able to play the demo of POF on it, I don't see why the rest of POF would have been a problem, at least until the 64 bit client is fit for actually enjoying the game

@Gamestale.3562 said:Playing on Newest MacBook Pro with touchbar (base line model)

Since playing on the 64 bit client (on all lowest settings) , the FPS have dropped massively ( between 10-15 fps in LA compared to a steady 30 fps on the old client on higher setting), which is a shame as this makes playing the new expansion not really enjoyable and I would not have purchased it if I knew I had to end up playing the game in something close to a slideshow

I have also noticed a couple of graphical bugs, but I really don't car about them as long as I can play the game at a decent FPS

Also I don't understand why we are not able to download the 32 bit client anymore, considering we were able to play the demo of POF on it, I don't see why the rest of POF would have been a problem, at least until the 64 bit client is fit for actually enjoying the game

I'm also still awaiting some kind of resolution and the return of the 32-bit client. I am still struggling to even load anything around my character using the 64-bit client. Do they really expect us to run the game and play an expansion under such poor conditions? All of my friends using Windows are currently enjoying themselves and making the most of it, while I cannot even move without a glitch or a bug. (not to mention the regular crashes!)

We really need the return of the 32-bit client. It should never have been removed in the first place!

Well, from my end it is getting better. Load times are better and some of the graphical glitches aren't occuring. My biggest issue is the slow load times (invisible NPC's and mobs). I'm sure they are working on improving the client and looking forward to better performance. On my end it's playable just certain parts (WvW, large groups) don't work out well.

Not sure if this is the best place for this, or if I should make a new thread, but... "Use scrolling gestures to change direction" is not working as I expected it to while mounted. When standing still on a mount, scrolling gestures won't change the mount's direction (but A and D still do) and when unmounted, pressing A or D while moving makes you strafe rather than turn (useful for looking around while moving,) but while mounted A and D still turn so I end up double turning and getting disoriented.

I'm not sure if this behaviour is intentional or not, but if it isn't, a fix would be great. I'm getting used to just using WASD while mounted, but it would be great if I didn't have to switch between WASD and gesture turning.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what exactly just got added in one of the recent "New Build" required updates, but the game is not currently playable. prone to crashing. Was doing fine this evening, over 3 hours with no crashing. Then, a few minutes after a "New Build" notice popped up and gave the 2-hours until restart warning, the game crashed. Error code reads, "timePercent >= 0.0f".

I reloaded the game and tried playing again. About four or five minutes after loading in, the game crashed again with the same error. I booted back up and started playing again. This time the game crashed after only about three or four minutes. The error code on the third crash displays, "val >= -0x001FFFFF". That's three crashes in twelve minutes, including reboot times .

EDIT: Game now seems to crash during or after periods of heavy group traffic. The first three crashes were all when running with a skill group in Auric Basin. My most recent crash ("timePercent >= 0.0f" again) occurred after killing the Chak Gerant, once the lasers destroy the wall.