What's the population? 2021

Derpec.6182

After a few months of wow, I'm also coming back. So that's one more. I was pleasantly surprised by some things in the patch. (Haven't played the story) Things like infusion drop rates and the like. Makes me feel like they are polishing some things out, which is always appreciated in a long running game. Honestly, my biggest reason for coming back is this game is just much more financially viable than many of it's competitors. I spent 10$ to change a character name and I prob won't spend another dollar until the expansion. So, for me right now, this game is still the best buy to play mmo on the market. If I wasn't trying to cut my spending, I'd probably still be playing wow. But, I do have hopes, since there was a time gw2 was ten times the game of wow. Maybe the recent shakeups at A-Net will be good for it long term and even if the releases have been weak, it's only because their main team is working on the expansion. And since that may be the team that made so much good things, I'm optimistic!

So welcome back, hope we both find enjoyment enough to stick around! =)

I don't have any actual data but I wouldn't say "heavily" populated, just populated. I suppose it depends on what aspects of the game you are interested in (and your time zone as well).

Most open world content that I've done lately still has plenty of people. You might have trouble with some areas if you are playing in off hours.Instanced content is definitely less populated than it has been, but you will probably still be able to find groups.WvW seems decently busy (at least in my matchup, Blackgate).PvP scene is dwindling a bit, plagued with bots, but there are people.

I wouldn't say it's not heavily populated because despite playing in a high population server I struggle to see people doing Meta events in general but ArenaNet's focus is all on the Windows client version of the game and they have a lot of improvements ready for us.EDIT: ops sorry I meant it's not, I have missed one detail while writing fast

@Touchme.1097 said:I wouldn't say it's heavily populated because despite playing in a high population server I struggle to see people doing Meta events in general but ArenaNet's focus is all on the Windows client version of the game and they have a lot of improvements ready for us.

The full server is only related to WvWvW population all pve aka metas are shared maps across all servers ( devided bettwen the Usa and Europe server clusters of course) so your probabely on a empty overflow map when you feel its dead, check lfg and see how many squads there is that are on full maps in your area.

@Loboling.5293 said:Makes me feel like they are polishing some things out, which is always appreciated in a long running game.

Sounds to me like anet has noticed player numbers dropping, and are doing a last-ditch effort to retain who they have. You know, fulfil player wishes in hopes of keeping them playing (and paying). Cynical? Maybe.

And no, i'm not saying the game is dying. just stating the more likely scenario.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

@Loboling.5293 said:Makes me feel like they are polishing some things out, which is always appreciated in a long running game.

Sounds to me like anet has noticed player numbers dropping, and are doing a last-ditch effort to retain who they have. You know, fulfil player wishes in hopes of keeping them playing (and paying). Cynical? Maybe.

And no, i'm not saying the game is dying. just stating the more likely scenario.

To me it doesn’t sound like that at all. I too think that the game is still well populated, I never have any problems finding people to do something.

We've never been told the actual numbers of people playing. Anet sometimes say how many copies have been sold or how many accounts have been created, but nothing about average or peak concurrent player numbers. So all we can do is go off how many people we see in the game.

But in that sense it looks pretty good. I spend most of my time bouncing around older maps semi-randomly because I tend to do the story to new episodes when they're released and then do whatever goals I feel like completing, which is based on my own order of priority so something released years ago may have only just caught my interest. Even doing that I can't remember ever being alone in a map and I often see big groups doing events. Occasionally I've needed to organise a group because no one else was doing it at the time I wanted, but when that's happened either I've been able to get enough people or I've realised it's about 11:30pm, I'm in a later time zone than most of the people on EU servers, they're probably all asleep and I probably should be too.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

If that was the case I hope they'd do something more meaningful than slightly increasing the drop rate on a couple of the rarest items in the game. To me that seems more like the kind of minor change you make to get long-term shifts in the upper end of the economy as a result, not something that's going to generate a lot of interest among new and former players and get them back in the game. It might get some people to try those specific events again, but I can't see anyone deciding not to quit because the chance of looking like a confetti explosion has gone from 0.001% to 0.002%

(I have no idea what the drop rate is, but it's stupidly low.)

@Yggranya.5201 said:

This feels a lot like confirmation bias to me. I don't think they did this to get more people into or to come back to the game, because most players not playing won't even know they did it. It's not a heavily advertised move. More likely it's in response to a recent TP baron struggle that's going on behind the scenes and which I'm loathe to recount here.

I'm not sure why you think that somehow this would miraculously bring players back to the game. That doesn't make sense to me.

@Yggranya.5201 said:Sounds to me like anet has noticed player numbers dropping, and are doing a last-ditch effort to retain who they have. You know, fulfil player wishes in hopes of keeping them playing (and paying). Cynical? Maybe.

A more likely scenario with no data to back up that assumption?

@Derpec.6182 said:Alright thank you everyone for the feedback! I will probably come back after being gone for years..... I mainly do dungeons, and WvW.

Dungeons are not that often played anymore, because there r maaany many othery similar and better rewarding types of instances now. They basicly work the same, but just dont get sad if dungeons are not hardly farmed as before :)There are now Fractals, Raids, Stricke Missions, Dragon Missions,... Have fun ;)

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Yggranya.5201 said:Sounds to me like anet has noticed player numbers dropping, and are doing a last-ditch effort to retain who they have. You know, fulfil player wishes in hopes of keeping them playing (and paying). Cynical? Maybe.

Since we're only guessing here, why is mine the one people gang up on? Not what you like to here is my guess. Still, my guess isn't going turn a guess into reality any more than anyone elses.

Its all relative. Depends on what you are doing when you are doing it. I can say for sure that there has never been a time in the history of this game that I ever felt like I was the only one playing the game. Also there are still enough players to warrant aent to make another expansion even after they said they were not going to a while back. I'd say hop in and test the water. Lots of content to explore.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

Since we're only guessing here, why is mine the one people gang up on? Not what you like to here is my guess. Still, my guess isn't going turn a guess into reality any more than anyone elses.

Well you do say its more likely then any of the other claims, so what proof you got that your guess is more valid then the others mate?

@Linken.6345 said:

Well you do say its more likely then any of the other claims, so what proof you got that your guess is more valid then the others mate?

Nothing, which shouldn't surprise anybody. When we all start providing inside knowledge to anets decisions, we'll all be working there.

@Yggranya.5201 said:

Nothing, which shouldn't surprise anybody. When we all start providing inside knowledge to anets decisions, we'll all be working there.

That, imo, could only improve matters. ;)