How is Jormag gendered in other languages?

deatine.2498

• 2 months later...

@"Fueki.4753" said:Before the IBS started nearly everyone called Jormag it.Bangar still calls Jormag it.It should have stayed the default word for it, until Arenanet officially adds an actual gender to it.

I feel like they only changed it to be more in tune with currently ongoing U.S.A.-centric issues.

As for German, I suspect that Jormag regarded as grammatically male in German, because der Drache (the dragon in English) is a grammatically male term. I don't think it reflects its gender in any way.

Just like German, Spanish and French are using the grammatically male terms el dragón and le dragon.

In spanish is refered as male, but the voice is a female one. So, i guess they did to show that they don't have a gender "per sé".

@Gammea.7153 said:

@"Fueki.4753" said:Before the IBS started nearly everyone called Jormag
it.
Bangar still calls Jormag
it.
It
should have stayed the default word for
it,
until Arenanet officially adds an actual gender to
it.

I feel like they only changed it to be more in tune with currently ongoing U.S.A.-centric issues.

As for German, I suspect that Jormag regarded as grammatically male in German, because
der Drache
(the dragon
in English) is a grammatically male term. I don't think it reflects its gender in any way.

Just like German, Spanish and French are using the grammatically male terms
el dragón
and
le dragon.

In spanish is refered as male, but the voice is a female one. So, i guess they did to show that they don't have a gender "per sé".

Like I already stated, it's most likely that they use male pronouns because the grammatical gender of el dragón is male.That doesn't necessarily have to do with its actual gender (if it even has one).

Pretty sure that originally, Gender was playing a bigger role in the Jormag story. With Sons of Svanir being all anti female etc and the (back then) big mystery what happens to them.

But that topic got way to offensive since release.

I'm sure Jormag being female would have been the big reveal with the Sons having a existential crisis over it.

"Our Alpha male is a girl?!?"