Should there be a Medium Armor High Health class?

VocalThought.9835

Before you say "go look for past post"... I did. I notice that there a trend with professions alternating between armored types and health levels. Warriors are the most protective and durable and elementalist are the least protective and least durable. But with the medium armored classes, there seems to be only moderate durability and the least durable Thief. I know that Ranger has a pet and Engineer no real justification to have more health, but could either of them change to be the high health bearer?

Tbh this has annoyed me a bit for years after I realised it was a thing.

Yes there should be a high HP medium armour class and while many say it should be Engineer I say it should be Ranger due to the fact that Engineers are already capable of making highly durable and slippery builds.Engineer would be too OP with a health buff, Ranger would not alas Ranger deserves it more.

I am not sure that there really is a need for symetry.Thief is mainly about damage avoidance so I think his health pool being low is thematically ok.Between ranger and engineer, I'd say ranger would thematically be the one with the highest health pool thanks to being "invigorated by nature". Engineer is an odd one, I wouldn't have found it strange to see him wearing an heavy armor, for me he would have suited the heavy armor/medium health pool slot while revenant could probably have taken a medium armor slot and even a high health pool slot (having it's vitality pumped up by it's bound to the mists).

If engineer was made to have High Health many of its easy button escapes need to disappear.

However many of the medium armour classes would be tricky to balance around High health. Ranger is instantly a no no due to having a pet, Thief can put out high damage and be very hard to hit even once in some instances so they cant have high health. Engineer is an odd one. The class can recover its health very quickly and escape better than most other classes by use of elixers and tonics.

So if a class was to gain high health in medium armour, they would need to lose sustain in another area.

@DeanBB.4268 said:I always assumed engineer was originally planned to have high health, but by the time Anet finished designing them decided they would be OP.

Originally when the game was being made, there were to be 3 heavy classes and 2 medium classes. Yes Engineer was going to be a heavy armour class till they decided to make it Medium armour.

@"Lonami.2987" said:I think it should be this way:

• High: Necromancer, Engineer, Warrior.
  • Medium: Elementalist, Ranger, Guardian.
  • Low: Mesmer, Thief, Revenant.

For reference, here is the current setup: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Health

I disagree. I think it should be:

• High: Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior.
  • Medium: Mesmer, Engineer, Revenant.
  • Low: Elementalist, Thief, Guardian.

Guardian has on going regeneration where as Revenant doesn't. Ele has access to a healing attunement where Mesmer doesn't have ample healing options. I think Rangers should be mored hardy compared to Engineer.

I even think they should change the profession choosing screen to reflect this so you would have armor classes going from heavy to light and hip going from high to low.

• Warrior, Revenant, Guardian
  • Ranger, Engineer, Thief
  • Necro, Mesmer, Elem.

I think this really reflects the difference between classes.

For reference, here is the current setup: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Health

I would agree with that line up.It would balance out some problems with guardian, elementalist buildcraft and mesmers would be a bit more squishy.High health engineer could be problematic though.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

• High:
    Necromancer, Engineer, Warrior.
  • Medium:
    Elementalist, Ranger, Guardian.
  • Low:
    Mesmer, Thief, Revenant.

For reference, here is the current setup:

I would agree with that line up.It would balance out some problems with guardian, elementalist buildcraft and mesmers would be a bit more squishy.High health engineer could be problematic though.

So how about

• High: Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior.
  • Medium: Elementalist, Elem., Guardian.
  • Low: Mesmer, Thief, Revenant.?

There's 0 relation between armor, health, class and sustain in this game due the main factor of being durable in combat is more linked to skills and traits than to armor class or even stats. Also, the outfits entirely ended any sort of coherence in that regard (but I won't blame medium armor players for wearing outfits looking like plate armor or bikinis, I would also be mad if almost every skins for my favs would been butt capes and trenchcoats).

I think Ranger should have a higher health.

Rangers are like "wildmen" yu know, they should have way higher physical ability vs Engineers which just hammer machines all day or Thief which skulk around.Rangers brave the wild, tame beasts and draws a LONGBOW.

If yu have drawn a longbow before, yu know that it's no easy feat to draw that and fire of several shots back to back (Rapidfire)

@VocalThought.9835 said:

• High:
  • Medium:
  • Low:
    Mesmer, Thief, Revenant.

So how about
  • High:
    Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior.
  • Medium:
    Elementalist, Elem., Guardian.
  • Low:
    Mesmer, Thief, Revenant.?

Ranger has also quite the sustain plus a pet, it is not a better candidate in those regards sadly.Without hampering other aspects of survivability it is quite problematic to give rangers a health buff for just symmetry.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

• High:
  • Medium:
  • Low:
    Mesmer, Thief, Revenant.

So how about
  • High:
    Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior.
  • Medium:
    Elementalist, Elem., Guardian.
  • Low:
    Mesmer, Thief, Revenant.?

Ranger has also quite the sustain plus a pet, it is not a better candidate in those regards sadly.Without hampering other aspects of survivability it is quite problematic to give rangers a health buff for just symmetry.

I honestly can understand everyones reasoning to give the ranger high health. They currently are one of the easiest professions to play, easy to get health back, two attack damage sources and the best downstate skills for sustain. (not to forget they can still command their pet to attack when downed). If anything Ranger should be borderline low health to medium health.

@Smoosh.2718 said:I honestly can understand everyones reasoning to give the ranger high health. They currently are one of the easiest professions to play, easy to get health back, two attack damage sources and the best downstate skills for sustain. (not to forget they can still command their pet to attack when downed). If anything Ranger should be borderline low health to medium health.

It's mostly from a thematical point of view.Engineer focus on technology, he basically live in a polluted environment, it feel like it's a given for him to have less health than the ranger which have close ties with nature, living in a good environment and being empowered by it.

If you look at it from a balance perspective, it might be easier to push the high health pool to the engineer but he would have to sacrifice something for that (maybe have it's current blocking skills give him barrier instead of blocking attacks).

From a GW1 player point of view some of the profession's health pool are simply nonsense. The bigest example being the necromancer with it's high health pool when in GW1 the profession tend to try to have the lowest possible health pool in order to abuse %age health sacrifice (it's like the profession did a 180 from GW1 to GW2). Guardian which is more or less a successor of both the monk and the paragon should probably have had a high health pool (because monk 600HP).

Imo, thinking about it, offensive runeset should reduce defensive stats (reduce vitality and toughness by 2.5% per rune for a total of 15% on a full runeset) and defensive runeset should reduce damage output by a %age (2.5% condi and power damage reduction per rune equiped). Support runesets should both reduce damage output by a %age and reduce defensive stats (same %age but both at the same time).

Being as all three of those classes can be slippery with the right build I think the next question to ask is which ones can be tanky right now. Both Ranger and Engineer can be built very tanky, especially with certain E-Specs. The same cannot be said for Thief. Slippery yes, but tanky no.

If I had to rank them by the Health pool they should all have based on that it would be.

Engi - Low HP, but with Scrapper's Vitality penalty removed. Would go pretty far in balancing Holo as well as a bonus.Ranger - High HP, but a lot of the boons via traits would need to be scaled back.Thief - Medium HP.

@FrownyClown.8402 said:High hp ranger would be fine but they would need to reduce some damage and access to regen and protection

You can perma maintain protection on ranger right now as it is, so unless you have boon removal it is a pseudo Heavy armor medium HP class. That in and of itself needs to be nerfed at this moment. But yeah, if Ranger got the High HP then things like Rapid Fire, Maul, and Worldly Impact would have to be nerfed along with reducing several boon uptimes that the class has.

This has been a splinter in my mind, yes. Please buff Ranger or Engineer to high health, coupled with compensations elsewhere. Personally? A full engineer rework including Just One Kit, high health, polarized weapon options, and scaling turrets is the answer. Ranger needs no HP buffs, honestly.

I think the low HP pool should be eliminated entirely. Though, this needs work. And Anet devs are lazy. We did not have a balance patch for.... 6 month? I do not agree with Mesmer and reverent low HP pool. As for large HP pool for medium class, both engi and ranger have good sustain.