Wells damage halved

DaVid Darksoul.4985

Well of Darkness and Corruption damage coefficient was basically halved, which pretty much kittens. I feel that was heavy handed but Wells seem to be problematic for Anet, Well of Darkness seems to be targeted a lot. I have been making great use of Darkness in both roam and zerg builds, both condi and power due to its blind and chill as well as damage. Oh well, I guess I was actually playing too much, time for more theory crafting and testing lol.

Assuming both wells needed a nerf, then this was the right way to do it, because they are mainly utility wells (blind + chill and corrupt + life force generation) and reducing the damage is way better than increasing the cooldown regarding that purpose.

That high damage on well of darkness was pretty sure originated in increasing reaper's damage output (both power and condi) in pve, while the skill became bloated in a problematic way in the competitive modes. Not surprised about the nerf, to be honest. And I am happy they did it this way.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:Yep the nerf is insignificant, not so long ago well of darkness didn't even have damages.

Lol. It is significant. Assuming corruption had a 0.45 ratio, darkness a 0.8 and suffering a 0.9

all wells together that was 2.15 ratio and now 1.7 ratio. That's 21% less damage on the wells Spike.21% isn't "insignificant". On such a high cooldown.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:Yep the nerf is insignificant, not so long ago
well of darkness
didn't even have damages.

Lol. It is significant. Assuming corruption had a 0.45 ratio, darkness a 0.8 and suffering a 0.9

all wells together that was 2.15 ratio and now 1.7 ratio. That's 21% less damage on the wells Spike.21% isn't "insignificant". On such a high cooldown.

But it is insignificant. Maybe not for the builds that used it since feb 2020 but compared to builds pre feb 2020 using this well still net you more damage. In the first place this well is overloaded since february, not expecting any kind of nerf was/is shortsigthed. To be honest, I'm already amazed that it lasted this long without being nerfed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@Coeruleum.9164 said:

@scerevisiae.1972 said:i'm actually glad. wells were used by basically everyone, because nothing else came close.

i still think wells are a bit too strong, corruptions a little too weak.

Corruptions aren't weak, but most of them only work on condi builds while wells are utility.

Agree. Wells are an invaluable area-denial tool in WvW. They are also relatively easy to balance. They will be around for a long time.