What is your opinion on IceBrood Saga

vier.1327

@Westenev.5289 said:Anet needs to seriously consider buffing mesmer gs, ranger longbow or whatever weapon bad players use before pushing this sort of content.Power Longbow Soulbeast can already benchmark over 35k dps. Buffing the weapon is not going to make low-effort players magically contribute at an acceptable level. There is nothing wrong with the weapon.Don't get me wrong....whenever I see some someone shockingly underperforming it's 9 times out of 10 a longbow ranger.1.5k dps on Bears? SoulbeastWon't stack after being repeatedly told to do so? ALWAYS SoulbeastI get it.But the answer is not buff a spec/weapon that is already overperfoming in the right hands.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ever watch a movie get half way through it and then come to the realization that its bad? You want to turn it off but you can't because you have already invested to much time into it and its almost over any way so you push through watching the rest of it. This to me is the Saga in a nutshell. I was not in a hurry to get to the new expansion but I have now become antsy. I just want to move on from this.

@vier.1327 might add to the poll what u see as good and what as bad. i guess 10 = best / 1 = worst? (in german schools at least, 1 is the best and 5 worst for example)

i think it's not horrible, suits as the living world saga that it is. but i don't like the strike missions and the dragon response missions alike really, because it's semi-tryharding, like a bit half-baked. not crazy hard, not crazy easy. big variation in the players, sometimes u have weirdos that quit after two minutes, then get a group where you finish the same CM with 5 minutes left or sth alike. i have nearly a 50:50 (maybe 60/40) chance of easy run VS total fail and waste of time atm there.

i'd have want that stuff to be more openworld-meta-train like... all this waiting for groups is just annoying.

maybe they could have made this more kitten by just allowing far more player into one instance, like 20, 30, 40 even? then it would be nearly meta-like. (since yes... for the scenarios you need kinda the own instances, i guess)

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Westenev.5289 said:Anet needs to seriously consider buffing mesmer gs, ranger longbow or whatever weapon bad players use before pushing this sort of content.Power Longbow Soulbeast can already benchmark over 35k dps. Buffing the weapon is not going to make low-effort players magically contribute at an acceptable level. There is nothing wrong with the weapon.Don't get me wrong....whenever I see some someone shockingly underperforming it's 9 times out of 10 a longbow ranger.1.5k dps on Bears? SoulbeastWon't stack after being repeatedly told to do so? ALWAYS SoulbeastI get it.But the answer is not buff a spec/weapon that is already overperfoming in the right hands.

Ask yourself how and why this weapon is both underperforming and overperforming, and you'll see clear areas that need improvement.

Power Longbow DPS is strong because 2 and 5 are used in a rotation during one wolf pack + sic' em, before getting swapped out to your primary dagger/axe for that juicy offhand axe damage and dagger autos. It's used as a offhand weapon used for sneaky (melee) dps gains, not a primary (ranged) weapon of choice.

New players think Power Longbow dps comes from comboing their scaling range autos and point blank shot. They think they're helping by by scattering mobs, because other games and common sense tell you it's easier to pick off opponents rather than fight 20 at once. They think having 1500 range and a knockback means they should never get close to the enemy. New players think ranger means archer, so longbow will be the weapon most newbs will flock to since it fits an archers theme.

It's my opinion that Ranger Longbow needs some sort of redesign for this exact purpose, because it's painful to play with these sorts of players.

If Anet expects me to play with other people, I don't want them to hold me back. It seriously affects my enjoyment if the content when everyone stands in fire and dies, leaving me to save the day from a way overscaled 20 minute bossfight.

@"Westenev.5289" said:New players think Power Longbow dps comes from comboing their scaling range autos and point blank shot. They think they're helping by by scattering mobs, because other games and common sense tell you it's easier to pick off opponents rather than fight 20 at once. They think having 1500 range and a knockback means they should never get close to the enemy. New players think ranger means archer, so longbow will be the weapon most newbs will flock to since it fits an archers theme.No.Low-effort players who gravitate to longbow ranger aren't thinking about comboing a thing. They are firing all their abilities off cooldown with zero regard for rotation. They are drawn to Ranger for the class fantasy, or because they hop on this very forum and say "what should I play??" and are told by veteran low-effort players that Ranger is easy because they just let their pet tank and pewpew from distance.The game itself never punishes the playstyle and no feedback is ever given to the player that they are underperforming. They see numbers they barely understand and are given full rewards during group events without contributing meaningfully. They live in a bubble.Lets also be clear that this isn't a "new" player issue. There are plenty of members of the current forum cartel who proudly "main ranger since beta", telling new players that all they have to do is get a brown bear to tank and this will get them over in all content in the game.If Anet expects me to play with other people, I don't want them to hold me back. It seriously affects my enjoyment if the content when everyone stands in fire and dies, leaving me to save the day from a way overscaled 20 minute encounter.I would counter that Anet expects you to use the tools at your disposal to customize your experience. You can very easily say "no longbow rangers" in your LFG or just ask them to switch and kick them from your group if they don't. Not a thing wrong with that.Your group, your rules.Additionally you can just play with people you enjoy playing with and who aren't there to take a carry.A little personal responsibility goes a long way to making sure your play time is how you like it.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Westenev.5289" said:New players think Power Longbow dps comes from comboing their scaling range autos and point blank shot. They think they're helping by by scattering mobs, because other games and common sense tell you it's easier to pick off opponents rather than fight 20 at once. They think having 1500 range and a knockback means they should never get close to the enemy. New players think ranger means archer, so longbow will be the weapon most newbs will flock to since it fits an archers theme.No.Low-effort players who gravitate to longbow ranger aren't thinking about comboing a thing. They are firing all their abilities off cooldown with zero regard for rotation. They are drawn to Ranger for the class fantasy, or because they hop on this very forum and say "what should I play??" and are told by veteran low-effort players that Ranger is easy because they just let their pet tank and pewpew from distance.The game itself never punishes the playstyle and no feedback is ever given to the player that they are underperforming. They see numbers they barely understand and are given full rewards during group events without contributing meaningfully. They live in a bubble.Lets also be clear that this isn't a "new" player issue. There are plenty of members of the current forum cartel who proudly "main ranger since beta", telling new players that all they have to do is get a brown bear to tank and this will get them over in all content in the game.If Anet expects me to play with other people, I don't want them to hold me back. It seriously affects my enjoyment if the content when everyone stands in fire and dies, leaving me to save the day from a way overscaled 20 minute encounter.I would counter that Anet expects you to use the tools at your disposal to customize your experience. You can very easily say "no longbow rangers" in your LFG or just ask them to switch and kick them from your group if they don't. Not a thing wrong with that.Your group, your rules.Additionally you can just play with people you enjoy playing with and who aren't there to take a carry.A little personal responsibility goes a long way to making sure your play time is how you like it.

And then we have public mode were you cant chose who to play with nor can you kick.

@Linken.6345 said:

And then we have public mode were you cant chose who to play with nor can you kick.A player who gets frustrated by others underperforming or getting smoked by standing in red circles should know better than to play the public mode.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

Unfortunately, that's not the way I roll. If things don't turn out the way I want, venting my frustrations on other players is no way to solve anything in a game I know is largely knowledge based. Learning the game is the responsibility of the players, that is true, but it's also no secret that the general player base sucks at the game. I don't think this is through a lack of players trying, in fact, I find players try too hard. Ask a bearbow why they refuse to stack, their answer will generally be "because of my damage bonus on auto", or "because melee is scary" - not because they want to troll or indiscriminately mash buttons, but rather because they see numbers they don't understand and don't know any better. You're right, there is a bubble, but why should they have to burst it when so many players are forced to reinvent the wheel the same way?

I want to play in an instance where everyone has fun, not an instance where I select what fun is. That is the responsibility of Anet, and why I prefer asking for a balance change over becoming a salty sea pirate demanding everyone play meta or kick.

But this is becoming a derailing discussion of class balance, not why I dislike playing alongside 30k AP bearbow "new players" in new content.

I will give em a 7/10. I enjojed prologue and bjora marches experience, strikes are a good intro to raids, even tho they are MUCH easier. Not a fan of meta events, i didn't like drizzlewood coast experience.

Completed all DRM today, and I a have to say I enjoyed em a lot (except the metrica and caledon).

I mean that they are a GREAT way to play the instanced story chapter that you used to play alone. I don't say they are a good repeatable content, they are just great if you play each of them one time. I would like to see instanced story chapter in this format in EoD.I've played gw2 for a very long time, and this is the first time i have really enjoyed the instanced story, wich were much more boring even in HoT and PoF with no exception for living world season 3 and 4.

But yes, there is no content added in the game in the "champions" releases, no one can deny it (no maps, no strikes, no meta events ecc).

But no, DRM are not as bad as everyone says, they are just a fun way to push instanced story (imo). Not a repeatable content, but not bad content.

it was meh up until Champions. not terrible, but FAR behind the expectations that they themselves set when they said it'd be a LS with expac-like length and features

then Champions came and all hell broke loose. it's beyond awful, boring and cheap, and Im genuinely concerned for the game's wellbeing in the short term, if this is all they can give us until EoD.

I loved it at the start, especially Grothmar. The Metal Legion concert was the high point for me for sure! :) BJora was OK I guess but felt a lot more tedious to work thru.

Drizzlewood part 2 took just way way way too long to complete the full meta but I wanted the Otter so I stuck it out. I was able to cut the time sink down a bit by crafting the weapon set to break down for otter parts. I haven't been back there since.

Champions chapters I only do once to advance the story(*) and get the mastery points. I hop on a different character who is further behind in the Saga to earn the mastery XP so I don't have to do the DRM's more than once.

• I find it really hard to get the story particulars in the Chapters since so much of it happens in the middle of the DRMs and if you're not at the right location, or in the middle of clearing objectives, the dialog is easy to miss. I really have no idea what the story is at this point so I'll have to look for some walk-through videos to catch up.

@AzureShiron.7658 said:My biggest gripe is, the humans got a human centric expansion, the sylvari got one with a lot of lore and info for them, but the charr and norn have to share their 'expansion'? the charr already get shafted on a lot so this has left a very bad taste in my mouth. The writing has been fairly solid but the previously stated has left my view on the full thing tainted.

Thanks to nostalgia, it will probably be human centric in cantha too.

It was going down hill after the first two releases. Then we had to deal with Taimi screaming like Nevil Chamberlain appeasing the third reich and it hit rock bottom. DRMs are meaningless to the world. No love to wvw (as usual). Its actually worse than the contrived season 2 story. Typical of Anet. Start something great and then serve rotten fruit for desert.

Drizzlewood one of the best maps yet!

But after that its disappointing..Its fun to get a lot of maps in a destroyed kinda version but thats it.. i need a map not a instance i have to choose between solo or group fightingapart from that its always the same thing u have to do .. all day.. not even this new infusion could got me hyped in the slightest

I like Drizzlewood Coast and Bjora Marches events. Not much interested in Dragon Response and Strike Missions. I assume Anet is trying something new, and working for another development. I think the concept of reusing Central Tyria was awesome. Core map is vast, i still feel like to walk around there sometimes.

Everything after the introduction of Ryland was mediocre and the plot, predictable.

As a WvW player, I don't do a lot of PvE.I did, however, play a lot of both Bjora maps. As I understand it, there were different teams working on each.I thought the first map was good, but the second map didn't evoke the same feeling.

When they brought out a WvW-a-like map I wondered, why don't they make WvW better instead? Why make this parody of WvW?I've seen quite a few new players appear in WvW since, so maybe that's what they were trying to do, but in that case... Why not improve WvW so that those new players have a better experience? It's quite a frustrating dilemma.I suppose the developers have similar feelings about this - or maybe they think, "new maps are always the way to go and old content costs too much manpower to change".

Yes, the story can be further improved, provided that we all pay subscription fees I guess.But the vital part here is not that.It is the basic human value of being grateful for having this new content without us paying anything on it after so many years, and I wish they continue to do this.Rather, you could have provided ideas to enhance the storyline.