Fractal Burn dps

zethra.8491

Hey all,I’m progressing thru T4s as a HB, want to try out a dps build for flexibility.I’d prefer to dps as a FB, since I’m already familiar with it.saw this burn FB build at link below …

Is that viable in T4s/ cm ?
Any tweaks you’d advise ? Or any other good builds ?

Thanks in advance !

For fractals you want to refer to discretize and not random youtube videos generally.https://discretize.eu/builds/guardian/condi-firebrand

Condi FB is the only condi build viable for general usage. That's because the ramp time on burning is extremely low (~70-75% of the damage is burning and most of the other damage is derived from power) and the bleeding damage is 5% or less of the total damage in the Condi FB build. This is versus other condi builds that have conditions where it's 50% burning and 20% bleeding or other ramping conditions.

@"Infusion.7149" said:For fractals you want to refer to discretize and not random youtube videos generally.https://discretize.eu/builds/guardian/condi-firebrand

Condi FB is the only condi build viable for general usage. That's because the ramp time on burning is extremely low (~70-75% of the damage is burning and most of the other damage is derived from power) and the bleeding damage is 5% or less of the total damage in the Condi FB build. This is versus other condi builds that have conditions where it's 50% burning and 20% bleeding or other ramping conditions.

Just wanted to note that while I agree with your advice, that isn't really some rando in the video. It's Roul from SnowCrows and the build he's using is pretty much the same as the one discretize has listed for condi firebrand. They consider it "off meta". Viable = Yes!

ill just repost this interesting finding that i posted elsewhere (and will probably spam whenever theres a new thread on frac cfb/burn guard, sry)

Mist Offensive Potion applies 2 different bonuses to condi dmg (see notes section). One is the obvious +3% outgoing dmg per stack; the other is a +3% increase per stack to the condi dmg stat...

This means that condi builds have a naturally higher virtual (fractal) bench, including burn guard...

...what makes burn guard special is... it is the least condi-like of condi specs... which, along with this additional bonus, makes it potentially the best (#1) dps unless ab/using full power setups with competent players (so #1 at least with pugs).

though burning is a factor, other condi specs (eg burn ele or zerker) are either more reliant on (1s) ticking aoe fields to apply their condis, or long duration condis applied through an entire list of skills, effectively making them DoToT or D(oT)^2 builds vs burn guard. condi mirage is an example of another quickstacking condi build, but is held back because what it stacks quickly is confusion, rather than something that would probably break it like burning

cfb supposedly falls apart at cc (i guess when talking about something like artsariiv clone phase) but is otherwise only outperformed if your group uses a full power burst boss-phases-in-seconds strat (usually complimented with precasting, PI, OWP stanceshare, etc, stuff cfb cant use effectively because its not power)

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:ill just repost this interesting finding that i posted elsewhere (and will probably spam whenever theres a new thread on frac cfb/burn guard, sry)

Mist Offensive Potion applies 2 different bonuses to condi dmg (see notes section). One is the obvious +3% outgoing dmg per stack; the other is a +3% increase per stack to the condi dmg stat...

This means that condi builds have a naturally higher virtual (fractal) bench, including burn guard...

...what makes burn guard special is... it is the least condi-like of condi specs... which, along with this additional bonus, makes it potentially the best (#1) dps unless ab/using full power setups with competent players (so #1 at least with pugs).

though burning is a factor, other condi specs (eg burn ele or zerker) are either more reliant on (1s) ticking aoe fields to apply their condis, or long duration condis applied through an entire list of skills, effectively making them DoToT or D(oT)^2 builds vs burn guard. condi mirage is an example of another quickstacking condi build, but is held back because what it stacks quickly is confusion, rather than something that would probably break it like burning

cfb supposedly falls apart at cc (i guess when talking about something like artsariiv clone phase) but is otherwise only outperformed if your group uses a full power burst boss-phases-in-seconds strat (usually complimented with precasting, PI, OWP stanceshare, etc, stuff cfb cant use effectively because its not power)

while it’s noted Viper/ Sinister mix is ideal,….for survivability in T 4 pugs, as Roul said in his video,…

Is using Plaguedoctor/ Trailblazer gear a good idea ?if not, What gear mix is advised for Survivability ?

Thanks !

@zethra.8491 said:

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:ill just repost this interesting finding that i posted elsewhere (and will probably spam whenever theres a new thread on frac cfb/burn guard, sry)

while it’s noted Viper/ Sinister mix is ideal,….
for survivability in T 4 pugs
, as Roul said in his video,…

Is using Plaguedoctor/ Trailblazer gear a good idea ?if not, What gear mix is advised for Survivability ?

Thanks !

cfb isnt really my thing but if i were to guess, youd want to ensure you still have 100% burn duration and always have condi dmg as the main stat, you can ditch some power stats for some (relatively) minor loss. arbitrary note that you shouldnt bring high toughness gear into raids if you do decide to invest in it

many ppl would advise that you should stick to the suggested viper/sinister/etc mix not only because it maximises dmg output and that you should eventually get used to being glassy (and not facetank) anyway, but also because through balthazar runes and the trait imbued haste you get a good chunk of extra hp either way

@zethra.8491 said:

while it’s noted Viper/ Sinister mix is ideal,….
for survivability in T 4 pugs
, as Roul said in his video,…

Thanks !

I run plaguedoctor with Balth runes. I have like 90% burn duration, 28k HP, (30K with quickness) 700 healing (1000 with quickness), and like 1300+ condi damage...not to mention permanent quickness and around 70% boon duration. I run axe and torch and then staff as secondary to heal. I can do high DPS, high healing, permanent quickness, around 50% stability, 100% regen up time, condi cleanse spam...and so on.

If you ask me there is no better fractal build for Firebrand. Especially for public groups. I can routinely get fire damage alone to tick 15k on its own.

The build I use is Flame Legion Runes, Sigil of Force, Sigil of Smoldering, the 12% Burning duration food, and the Torch trait. This gives a very high Power damage build that can also maintain 20+ stacks of Burning persistently giving an extreme passive DPS.

I use this with Grieving gear, 100% Burning duration with no Expertise.

I think its actually one of the highest passive DPS builds possible, although a good rotation makes it better.

Keep in mind Quickness gives you a good amount of health, so no defenses are needed, usually. You may want to take Fractal Defensive Potions for those particularly difficult Fractals like Twilight Oasis where one mistake can mean a wipe.

If you feel too glassy still or your group isn't very coordinated, Celestial trinkets can help with high-pressure encounters.

Make sure your alt-weapon has CC to break bars (GS or Hammer and F1-3 as well).

@"Cromx.3941" said:

I run plaguedoctor with Balth runes. I have like 90% burn duration, 28k HP, (30K with quickness) 700 healing (1000 with quickness), and like 1300+ condi damage...not to mention permanent quickness and around 70% boon duration. I run axe and torch and then staff as secondary to heal. I can do high DPS, high healing, permanent quickness, around 50% stability, 100% regen up time, condi cleanse spam...and so on.

If you ask me there is no better fractal build for Firebrand. Especially for public groups. I can routinely get fire damage alone to tick 15k on its own.

Just my 2 cents --- for your average T4 PUGs the best FB is still the hard-carry healbrand (Honour, Virtues/Valor) with memestrel/harrier. For better performing PUGs that don't need to be hard carried and don't facetank, I find Seraphbrand a much better choice. Plaguedoctor is just inferior to seraph because vitality is a wasted stat on a guardian. You can sprinkle 1-2 pieces on a Frailty day, but that's about it.Here is the build if you are interested. Keep in mind the bonuses you get from mistlock.It still has that safety net of healing, does impressive burn damage (100% crit chance, 100% burn duration), and provides perma quickness, might (~22), perma fury, regen (~90%), some protection. SoW can be swapped for SYG or any other utility depending on the instabs/comp, and you can use healing food instead of boon dura/cdps.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWABc6t/lRweYSsKGJW0SvPbA-zRJYoRPfZkQFkeK4wBJI2DvlHF2A-e

@ollbirtan.2915 said:

@"Cromx.3941" said:

Just my 2 cents --- for your average T4 PUGs the best FB is still the hard-carry healbrand
(Honour, Virtues/Valor)
with memestrel/harrier. For better performing PUGs that don't need to be hard carried and don't facetank, I find Seraphbrand a much better choice. Plaguedoctor is just inferior to seraph because vitality is a wasted stat on a guardian. You can sprinkle 1-2 pieces on a Frailty day, but that's about it.Here is the build if you are interested. Keep in mind the bonuses you get from mistlock.It still has that safety net of healing, does impressive burn damage
(100% crit chance, 100% burn duration)
, and provides perma quickness, might
(~22)
, perma fury, regen
(~90%)
, some protection.
SoW can be swapped for SYG or any other utility depending on the instabs/comp, and you can use healing food instead of boon dura/cdps.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAc+ZlRwwYSsHmJWyS3PVA-zRZYdREgGE2b0wdWIJUCVHBpnAOcQCiFwbxvzN-e

This is the build I run. The vitality gives me something like +23% outgoing healing. 100% quickness uptime and a dumpload of stability. Also regen is up almost all of the time as well. Swap to staff for healing, it has +10% more healing on it. And then go into the F2 tome if needed. I mean I guess you are pulling maybe 15% more damage or so from the extra crit change with seraph but for me adding the torch in off hand makes it so zealots flame is able to be tossed over and over adding up to huge stacks of burn (this likely more than males up for the 15% there).

I was only worried about enough crit to get radiant fire to proc when off cooldown, which is easy to do. I never see why I'd care about shield in off hand. If I am going to heal I swap to staff. I never use my mantra's to zero. I always keep them on the short cooldown so I can maintain 100% quickness and rev it up instantly. And I try to time the mantra heal so that I make the 10 sec cooldown.

Personally I think the vitality giving me the % healing offsets the DPS loss from precision. Mostly because if you are multitasking and swapping weapons and going into tomes its much much easier to load up burn stacks and then do something else and come back to it. Precision is mostly wasted in these cases. And since I carry offhand torch I can spam zealots flame and then do the number 5 blue flame breath thing and have a fairly nice burn going. You can semi range DPS like this, use axe 3 and 2 and toss zealots flame with torch 5 and then get out of the way. Kind of like drive by DPS. Then go heal peeps or what have you.

@Cromx.3941 said:

Just my 2 cents --- for your average T4 PUGs the best FB is still the hard-carry healbrand
(Honour, Virtues/Valor)
with memestrel/harrier. For better performing PUGs that don't need to be hard carried and don't facetank, I find Seraphbrand a much better choice. Plaguedoctor is just inferior to seraph because vitality is a wasted stat on a guardian. You can sprinkle 1-2 pieces on a Frailty day, but that's about it.Here is the build if you are interested. Keep in mind the bonuses you get from mistlock.It still has that safety net of healing, does impressive burn damage
(~22)
, perma fury, regen
(~90%)
, some protection.
SoW can be swapped for SYG or any other utility depending on the instabs/comp, and you can use healing food instead of boon dura/cdps.

This is the build I run. The vitality gives me something like +23% outgoing healing. 100% quickness uptime and a dumpload of stability. Also regen is up almost all of the time as well. Swap to staff for healing, it has +10% more healing on it. And then go into the F2 tome if needed. I mean I guess you are pulling maybe 15% more damage or so from the extra crit change with seraph but for me adding the torch in off hand makes it so zealots flame is able to be tossed over and over adding up to huge stacks of burn (this likely more than males up for the 15% there).

I was only worried about enough crit to get radiant fire to proc when off cooldown, which is easy to do. I never see why I'd care about shield in off hand. If I am going to heal I swap to staff. I never use my mantra's to zero. I always keep them on the short cooldown so I can maintain 100% quickness and rev it up instantly. And I try to time the mantra heal so that I make the 10 sec cooldown.

Personally I think the vitality giving me the % healing offsets the DPS loss from precision. Mostly because if you are multitasking and swapping weapons and going into tomes its much much easier to load up burn stacks and then do something else and come back to it. Precision is mostly wasted in these cases. And since I carry offhand torch I can spam zealots flame and then do the number 5 blue flame breath thing and have a fairly nice burn going. You can semi range DPS like this, use axe 3 and 2 and toss zealots flame with torch 5 and then get out of the way. Kind of like drive by DPS. Then go heal peeps or what have you.

Shield offhand is not mandatory - you can run torch + sceptre and axe for more damage. As for your build, I see two major problems assuming T4 PUG EOTM

1. You provide might only with staff 4 and some fire field blasts here and there which won't get your party anywhere close to even 20 might stacks during a boss encounter.
  2. Quick-fire over Lore-master is a peculiar pick. I know that Radiance resets your F1 - but that only works during encounters with adds. Losing your main source of damage in favour of a dribble of quickness is a big no no IMHO.

@ollbirtan.2915 said:

(Honour, Virtues/Valor)
(~22)
, perma fury, regen
(~90%)
, some protection.

Shield offhand is not mandatory - you can run torch + sceptre and axe for more damage. As for your build, I see two major problems assuming T4 PUG EOTM
  1. You provide might only with staff 4 and some fire field blasts here and there which won't get your party anywhere close to even 20 might stacks during a boss encounter.
  2. Quick-fire over Lore-master is a peculiar pick. I know that Radiance resets your F1 - but that only works during encounters with adds. Losing your main source of damage in favour of a dribble of quickness is a big no no IMHO.

in fractal public groups might is in abundance. I am not terribly worried about it. You chose 15% more DPS I chose 13% more healing and survivability. Nuff said. This is not a raid group and things tend to be messy, likely needing to pick people off the ground.

in fractal public groups might is in abundance...i feel like this is a dodgy statement, common pugs do not have might in abundance because usually one person takes care of most it (e.g. the healer). i dont think pretending to be a hb but actually being a hybrid one helps either

This is not a raid group and things tend to be messy, likely needing to pick people off the ground.youd be playing full/proper hb at this point tbh

@"Noodle Ant.1605" said:

in fractal public groups might is in abundance...i feel like this is a dodgy statement, common pugs do not have might in abundance because usually one person takes care of most it (e.g. the healer). i dont think pretending to be a hb but actually being a hybrid one helps either

This is not a raid group and things tend to be messy, likely needing to pick people off the ground.youd be playing full/proper hb at this point tbh

Oh good God this stuff really gets silly. People arguing for at best 15% more DPS (I am being generous here) under ideal circumstances is somehow the pivotal moment in GW2 gameplay need to get their heads examined. I see larping theory crafters with no practical application in mind. For all that vitality I get synergy with more healing from a talent and the 10% health boost from balth runes. It's a no brainer. But the weak brained among us will argue that +40 crit % on a condi build is with 1000 power or just above it and next to no ferocity is the thing to have.

I understand what people are saying here, and I reject it outright. I just played a slew of fractals and everyone has personal sources of might or they are sharing might. I can keep up 15 stacks on everyone myself if need be. Keep in mind people are actually fretting over 15% "theoretical" extra DPS on a character that could very well spend half his time healing or supporting. By the way hard to do much if you are dead from next to no HP. I pick up glass cannon builds off the ground all day long in fractals.

But please continue. This is quite amusing.

@Cromx.3941 said:

@"Noodle Ant.1605" said:

Oh good God this stuff really gets silly. People arguing for at best 15% more DPS (I am being generous here) under ideal circumstances is somehow the pivotal moment in GW2 gameplay need to get their heads examined. I see larping theory crafters with no practical application in mind. For all that vitality I get synergy with more healing from a talent and the 10% health boost from balth runes. It's a no brainer. But the weak brained among us will argue that +40 crit % on a condi build is with 1000 power or just above it and next to no ferocity is the thing to have.

I understand what people are saying here, and I reject it outright. I just played a slew of fractals and everyone has personal sources of might or they are sharing might. I can keep up 15 stacks on everyone myself if need be. Keep in mind people are actually fretting over 15% "theoretical" extra DPS on a character that could very well spend half his time healing or supporting. By the way hard to do much if you are dead from next to no HP. I pick up glass cannon builds off the ground all day long in fractals.

this doesnt make much sense

hb is played to facilitate the run and remove the chance of wiping (and by extension people on the floor in the first place). if people are on the floor in t4s it probably means you arent doing your job as a hb or should look for another group because theyre just bad and will force you to keep picking them up

if people are downing, you have a group which ollbirtan specifically mentioned that facetanks and where they said you should play the harrier/minstrel hb setup with monk runes etc instead. you are showing us a hybrid build that sacrifices hb carry factor for some dps and youre complaining about downs (and other builds that do basically the same thing)?

i personally dont like ollbirtans hybrid build either, but i simply wouldnt recommend playing a hybrid build at all unless youre playing with a group that is ok with it

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:

this doesnt make much sense

hb is played to facilitate the run and remove the chance of wiping (and by extension people on the floor in the first place). if people are on the floor in t4s it probably means you arent doing your job as a hb or should look for another group because theyre just bad and will force you to keep picking them up

if people are downing, you have a group which ollbirtan specifically mentioned that facetanks and where they said you should play the harrier/minstrel hb setup with monk runes etc instead. you are showing us a hybrid build that sacrifices hb carry factor for some dps and youre complaining about downs (and other builds that do basically the same thing)?

i personally dont like ollbirtans hybrid build either, but i simply wouldnt recommend playing a hybrid build at all unless youre playing with a group that is ok with it

Let me clarify, for your average PUG - play HFB. Period. The build that I shared is meant for players, usually in a semi-static, that want to improve and drop healing altogether. This cam be painful at first, hence Seraphbrand can serve as a clutch during the 'transition' period. My point is that Plaguedoctors build is vastly inferior to Seraphbrand because of all the things I already mentioned: lack of might, lack of dps + subpar healing and self sustain (not taking Loremaster is a big no for both since you lose passive tome regen AND BURN dps), staff being redundant etc etc.

1. If you want to play proper FB dps you will be running power FB which has been a staple meta in non PUG groups for a while.
  2. If you want to play condi - you run the full condi FB, which is offmeta, but still a good pick. Seraphbrand is only a clutch for those groups who want to improve.
  3. Healbrand is THE pug meta that you should run if you don't have a static. Period.