Bringing in Character from other Media

if you take a look on google and search GW2 cosplay you can see quite a few people that have made characters from other games/movies/cartoons. There is actually a really good Skeletor i've seen recently. Also Beast has been used many times (even I have a version) I've also made; Hawkeye, Jack Torrence (the shinning), She-Ra, He-man, Sarah Sanderson (Hocus pocus), Selene (Underworld) and Aurora (Malificent), just to name a few.

I do try to match their "powers" in whatever story they are in to a profession that matches them in game or a profession that has the weapons they use, such as my Hawkeye character is a Ranger. Though most of them don't have full loadouts because they are cosplay characters for contests or they were just an idea. Though my Hawkeye is a vanilla ranger build because that is the easiest one to use longbow on. Lets see;Hawkeye (ranger/vanilla)Sarah Sanderson ( Necromancer/scourge)She-ra (1980s) (mesmer/vanilla)The Beast (Guardian/vanilla)The Grinch (Mesmer/below 80)Selene (Engineer/scrapper) (thief would work better but I specifically needed a scrapper at the time)Jack Torrence (Ranger/Below 80)Aurora (mesmer/Below 80)Jack Sparrow (Engineer/vanilla) he's an asura, quite adorable

If you ever need help with character design please feel free to message me. I love making new toons and trying to match them up with the right class and make them look as good as possible in game. Good luck and as I said take a look at google, you might get some cool ideas from others. Another good place to check out is GW2 style (www.gw2style.com) . its a great website where people post their looks.

In the early days, I saw an Ironman or Hulk almost every day. Some were pretty good, especially Hulk when the growth tonic was added

I nearly made a He-Man. There's a shield which works very well for He-Man and the Warclaw was kind of the reason I think many did actually cosplay him in game. In the end I wasn't go to play as He-man so I dismissed the idea

Otherwise I'm content making something more original/unique that fits the game world for my own toons. Occasionally a decent cosplay toon comes along which makes me smile though

I've done this sometimes. I make a lot of tempoary characters for various purposes and it's fun to experiment with different looks, including themes from other places. Here's a few examples:

v36uNYU.jpg(Someone beat me to the name 'Someone Elsa'.) She's an elementalist, and as soon as I unlocked water magic I used nothing else.

cMSmOG6.jpgProbably the easiest in-game cosplay I've ever done. He's a thief of course.

This is a weird one: this is a re-imagining of Lyo-lyok from The Once and Future King. (I can't believe I've made 2 characters based on geese.) I think she was a guardian, but it was a while ago.eHJib0G.jpg

I've got a bunch of screenshots of other people's characters too, but I'm never sure about posting those.

@Randulf.7614 said:In the early days, I saw an Ironman or Hulk almost every day. Some were pretty good, especially Hulk when the growth tonic was added

There's a guy who does WvW on Desolation as the Hulk. Not sure if it's the same one from the early days or a new one, but it makes me smile every time I see him.

@"Nokomis.5076" said:Many of those might run into a problem if reported. The https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/ states

We do not permit names that:[...]Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or productsUse misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules

I didn't even know that was a thing.

@"ElijahFitzroy.5762" said:if you take a look on google and search GW2 cosplay you can see quite a few people that have made characters from other games/movies/cartoons. There is actually a really good Skeletor i've seen recently. Also Beast has been used many times (even I have a version) I've also made; Hawkeye, Jack Torrence (the shinning), She-Ra, He-man, Sarah Sanderson (Hocus pocus), Selene (Underworld) and Aurora (Malificent), just to name a few.

I do try to match their "powers" in whatever story they are in to a profession that matches them in game or a profession that has the weapons they use, such as my Hawkeye character is a Ranger. Though most of them don't have full loadouts because they are cosplay characters for contests or they were just an idea. Though my Hawkeye is a vanilla ranger build because that is the easiest one to use longbow on. Lets see;Hawkeye (ranger/vanilla)Sarah Sanderson ( Necromancer/scourge)She-ra (1980s) (mesmer/vanilla)The Beast (Guardian/vanilla)The Grinch (Mesmer/below 80)Selene (Engineer/scrapper) (thief would work better but I specifically needed a scrapper at the time)Jack Torrence (Ranger/Below 80)Aurora (mesmer/Below 80)Jack Sparrow (Engineer/vanilla) he's an asura, quite adorable

If you ever need help with character design please feel free to message me. I love making new toons and trying to match them up with the right class and make them look as good as possible in game. Good luck and as I said take a look at google, you might get some cool ideas from others. Another good place to check out is GW2 style (www.gw2style.com) . its a great website where people post their looks.

I always saw The Beast being a Mesmer.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

@"ElijahFitzroy.5762" said:if you take a look on google and search GW2 cosplay you can see quite a few people that have made characters from other games/movies/cartoons. There is actually a really good Skeletor i've seen recently. Also Beast has been used many times (even I have a version) I've also made; Hawkeye, Jack Torrence (the shinning), She-Ra, He-man, Sarah Sanderson (Hocus pocus), Selene (Underworld) and Aurora (Malificent), just to name a few.

I do try to match their "powers" in whatever story they are in to a profession that matches them in game or a profession that has the weapons they use, such as my Hawkeye character is a Ranger. Though most of them don't have full loadouts because they are cosplay characters for contests or they were just an idea. Though my Hawkeye is a vanilla ranger build because that is the easiest one to use longbow on. Lets see;Hawkeye (ranger/vanilla)Sarah Sanderson ( Necromancer/scourge)She-ra (1980s) (mesmer/vanilla)The Beast (Guardian/vanilla)The Grinch (Mesmer/below 80)Selene (Engineer/scrapper) (thief would work better but I specifically needed a scrapper at the time)Jack Torrence (Ranger/Below 80)Aurora (mesmer/Below 80)Jack Sparrow (Engineer/vanilla)
he's an asura, quite adorable

Not for me, picked guardian cause of the blue magic. Pink doesn’t really fit. If it was red or purple it would make more sense. Plus I picked it cause you can used torches on it and there are candelabra torches, plus they can also use focus and there is a mirror focus.

@ElijahFitzroy.5762 said:

@ElijahFitzroy.5762 said:if you take a look on google and search GW2 cosplay you can see quite a few people that have made characters from other games/movies/cartoons. There is actually a really good Skeletor i've seen recently. Also Beast has been used many times (even I have a version) I've also made; Hawkeye, Jack Torrence (the shinning), She-Ra, He-man, Sarah Sanderson (Hocus pocus), Selene (Underworld) and Aurora (Malificent), just to name a few.

I do try to match their "powers" in whatever story they are in to a profession that matches them in game or a profession that has the weapons they use, such as my Hawkeye character is a Ranger. Though most of them don't have full loadouts because they are cosplay characters for contests or they were just an idea. Though my Hawkeye is a vanilla ranger build because that is the easiest one to use longbow on. Lets see;Hawkeye (ranger/vanilla)Sarah Sanderson ( Necromancer/scourge)She-ra (1980s) (mesmer/vanilla)The Beast (Guardian/vanilla)The Grinch (Mesmer/below 80)Selene (Engineer/scrapper) (thief would work better but I specifically needed a scrapper at the time)Jack Torrence (Ranger/Below 80)Aurora (mesmer/Below 80)Jack Sparrow (Engineer/vanilla)

Not for me, picked guardian cause of the blue magic. Pink doesn’t really fit. If it was red or purple it would make more sense. Plus I picked it cause you can used torches on it and there are candelabra torches, plus they can also use focus and there is a mirror focus.

Mesmers can use Tourchs and Focus, but have pick magic. Mesmers also can wear light armor like Beast does.

@VocalThought.9835 said:

@ElijahFitzroy.5762 said:if you take a look on google and search GW2 cosplay you can see quite a few people that have made characters from other games/movies/cartoons. There is actually a really good Skeletor i've seen recently. Also Beast has been used many times (even I have a version) I've also made; Hawkeye, Jack Torrence (the shinning), She-Ra, He-man, Sarah Sanderson (Hocus pocus), Selene (Underworld) and Aurora (Malificent), just to name a few.

Mesmers can use Tourchs and Focus, but have pick magic. Mesmers also can wear light armor like Beast does.

True, though I use an outfit that looks exactly like the outfit from the dance scene, but for normal armor i managed to find some heavy pieces that look like his clothes at the beginning of the movie. Light armor sadly doesn’t have too many coats for guys in it, especially ones that look good on charr. Unless you were planning to make the human version. Then I’d completely agree.

@"Nokomis.5076" said:Many of those might run into a problem if reported. The https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/ states

We do not permit names that:[...]Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or productsUse misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules

This seems to be a slippery slope though.

I mean what if your name is actually Bud Light and you wanted your character named after it? It can happen!

... probably already taken.

Female human/sylvari can make a convincing medium armour spiderman suit. Given how spiderman is the new ironman in the marvel avengers universe, an engi could work.

You can also make sailor moon suits, or japanese style school uniforms in light armour.

In regards to names, I'm pretty sure Anet will only enforce bans on offensive names. I mean, you can't ban someone for making an asuran "son goku", since he was a mythical figure in asian myths long before he was an anime icon.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"Nokomis.5076" said:Many of those might run into a problem if reported. The
states

This seems to be a slippery slope though.

I mean what if your name is actually Bud Light and you wanted your character named after it? It can happen!

... probably already taken.

I'm pretty sure that rule is only there so other companies can't sue Anet if they find out about the character. Hypothetically if Disney found out someone was cosplaying Elsa from Frozen or Spiderman or any of their characters they could sue for copyright violation. (Or trade mark violation for the name? I can never remember.) Same goes for any other company, author, comic book writer etc. who finds their work replicated within GW2.

If they want to do that they've got two options: one is to try to identify the real person behind that account and sue them, the other is to sue Arenanet because their User Agreement says that legally the game is a service and buying an account just grants you a licence to use that service, not ownership of any part of it including your characters and names (seriously that's in there too) so techically it's their character. Of the two which do you think is likely to be easier and more effective at long-term prevention of the issue?

This way Anet can avoid any blame by showing it's against their rules, and hopefully end the issue as soon as a cease and desist letter arrives by forcing a name change.

I doubt they'd do that unless someone complained though because it's probably not worth the time and effort otherwise. I've never heard of anyone actually being forced to change the name of a cosplay character. The nearest I remember is when there was a weird trend in GW1 with characters named after Nokia phones standing in LA talking about how great that phone was. I'm not sure if it was an actual marketing attempt or a weird troll but either way apparently they all got banned.

@"Westenev.5289" said:In regards to names, I'm pretty sure Anet will only enforce bans on offensive names. I mean, you can't ban someone for making an asuran "son goku", since he was a mythical figure in asian myths long before he was an anime icon.

No, but you could ban them for making one called Harry Potter or Shōtarō Kaneda, since those are original characters not based on mythology.

Among my current characters, I have:

1.) Dante from Devil May Cry 4/5wdyamYZ.jpgClass: NecromancerBuild: Reaper (obviously)

2.) Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star WarsGM3AUu2.jpgClass: ThiefBuild: Dare Devil (Bound Dodger = acrobatic double-jump)

3.) Darth Vader from Star WarsEVGmqvY.jpgClass: GuardianBuild: GS/Staff Firebrand (Staff for force-abilities)

In the past, I had a Vergil (Devil May Cry 3), Link (Zelda Games), Boba Fett (Star Wars) and a Jambalaya Jake (Darkwing Duck). Cosplay/Fashion Wars consume quite a lot of my time in GW2. There are tons of skins and color-combinations. Limitations always exist, but it is not fun if it is too easy.

Creating these looks is quite challenging. Some took me weeks. Making a suitable build can be tricky at times. If both perfectly fit together, the real fun begins once the character is geared. I had this experience a few times, it was always worth the work. And every failure gives me some ideas how to try better next time.

Here's another one of mine: 2b from Nier Automata.

lsAb4V6h.jpg

My husband was playing Nier Automata in the same room and I kept on thinking her outfit looked like GW2 armour, so i decided to make her. I'd have made her a scrapper to get the little flying companion bot, but she was a tempoary character I wasn't taking through to level 80 so I made her a mesmer because I thought the skills fit and it meant she could use a huge greatsword.

(On a related note I really need to sort out my screenshots, I'm sure I've got more cosplay characters I can't find but they're somewhere among over 2,400 unsorted screenshots.)

@"Randulf.7614" said:I can't stand DMC, but that look is fab. I think I know the coat as the Aristocrats one. but whats the shoulders and pants?

Shoulders = Masquerade MantleShirt = Country CoatGloves = Funerary GlovesLeggings = Aristocrat's PantsBoots = Walkers of the Lich

It is not always the fancy & exclusive ones which do the trick. Rest is colors.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:I can't stand DMC, but that look is fab. I think I know the coat as the Aristocrats one. but whats the shoulders and pants?

Shoulders =
Shirt =
Gloves =
Leggings =
Boots =

It is not always the fancy & exclusive ones which do the trick. Rest is colors.

100% agree. I always look out for anyone not using flashy stuff and silly colours for something more organic. Based on another character or not, this is a well put together look