Thief, why even bother ?

Chris.2183

@reikken.4961 said:

@"Yasai.3549" said:Like if Inf Arrow was really a problem, why not BALANCE IT by reducing the port range to 600 but lowering cost to 5?

pvp balance team can't change skills. reducing the range is a major change to the skill.

How is changing (intiative) cost, duration, cooldown, damage coef, .... less of a change than the range? The only explanation I have is that they can't split base value of skills due to spaghetti code, only coeffs and stuff.. Because their initial plan on "not changing a mechanic's/skill's effect from game mode to game mode" isn't really true anymore right? Just look at Mirage's dodge for example. Or to stay with thief: Unload on P/P or inf arrow.. it's really weird to play with 6 ini in Open World but 8 ini in pvp matches.

I mean, I'm not saying you are wrong btw, I just question that adjusting the skill range is more of a major change than other changes we've seen so far.. Especially since initiative has WAY more impact on every single aspect of thief than adjusting a single skill.. And I want to add that I think it's kitten stupid that the pvp balance team can't just make their own balanace (same goes for wvw I guess).. Just a statement/my opinion.

• 3 months later...
On 1/13/2021 at 10:57 AM, Chris.2183 said:

First off, i get that the average bob highly dislikes to be outplayed and iced by a thief (when i say thief, im talking power and melee), i also get that average bob makes up the majority of the player base and we need to keep em happy with flashy lights and big bangs followed by the success experience of a kill, while having to put in mininal brain power, so they keep playing.

So i get why thief keeps getting nerfed and nerfed and is now limited to 2 braindead meta builds which could be played by a bot.

But i cant be the only one that loves to play fragile AF tricky builds which can be super effectiv but one small misstep and u are toast, thats my whole incentive to play, right on the edge always having one foot in the crave.

Been playing since gw1 and going to uninstall gw2 now,its just super no fun, the last nail in the coffin are the 8 ini for Inf Shot, so u as a thief have 1 single 900 range port, which nowadays pretty much every single class has and more and after u use it u are pretty much out, because your total ini is to low to get in the fight and do anything and even have a chance of getting back out, being hammered by random target seeking aoe condi stuff, that just dont give a kitten about stealth.

To me its kind of a bad joke but have fun ppls,over n out,see u in gw 3...

P.S. Zeus, u can keep the 150g, dont give a kitten 😉

Wow. Someone's PMS schedule is out of whack, obviously. I mean, no offense, but I've got the same amount of experience as you time-wise, and don't know what you're talking about. Thief was pretty good power-wise before, but since the balance update the other day, it's finally viable to make a condi build for thief as well, which HASN'T been possible. The point is, nearly all the changes they made in this patch make sense and improve the game in terms of profession balance and character customization. I understand that there will always be people who don't like the changes that are necessary for a game to evolve over time, and I've certainly done my share of complaining. I don't like all the changes that happen either. But the *real* reason that people get upset is because they will have to adjust their play style and/or relearn some mechanics or skills, at least with relation to THIS update, which is one of the very BEST MMO balance updates of any game I've ever played (and I've been playing games since Atari, Colecovision and the Commodore 64 were popular high tech products, so . . .) Naturally, it takes some adjustment, but it's SO worth it.

Bottom line: go ahead and uninstall. It's too bad the player base will shrink by one (or two if someone else decides to), but over all, at least from the comments I've read and heard in-game, the majority of people are very happy with this balance update, and the bottom line is we, Guild Wars 2 community, don't want to share Tyria with people that act as immature and stubborn as your comment shows you act. There are enough stressful problems in real life, and we play video games to unwind and forget our troubles, so having people like you ooze puddles of negative, cynical, pessimistic energy wherever you go, tend to make things MORE stressful.

Again, I've been guilty of the same thing you are, but as I grew up and *matured*, I realized tiny issues like the ones you're complaining about aren't worth a coronary. Thus, feel free to uninstall GW2 and you're welcome to "not give a fuc*", if you want. Just realize that nobody else cares, and that you are in the tiniest minority as far as your complaints about Thief go. Thief is improving, NOT getting worse.

PS: Btw, as far as the title of this topic goes ("Why bother"), for the majority of people, it DOESN'T bother us. So we don't bother; we just play and enjoy Thief. x)

Edited by SubZero.4319
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2021 at 11:45 PM, SubZero.4319 said:

Wow. Someone's PMS schedule is out of whack, obviously. I mean, no offense, but I've got the same amount of experience as you time-wise, and don't know what you're talking about. Thief was pretty good power-wise before, but since the balance update the other day, it's finally viable to make a condi build for thief as well, which HASN'T been possible. The point is, nearly all the changes they made in this patch make sense and improve the game in terms of profession balance and character customization. I understand that there will always be people who don't like the changes that are necessary for a game to evolve over time, and I've certainly done my share of complaining. I don't like all the changes that happen either. But the *real* reason that people get upset is because they will have to adjust their play style and/or relearn some mechanics or skills, at least with relation to THIS update, which is one of the very BEST MMO balance updates of any game I've ever played (and I've been playing games since Atari, Colecovision and the Commodore 64 were popular high tech products, so . . .) Naturally, it takes some adjustment, but it's SO worth it.

Bottom line: go ahead and uninstall. It's too bad the player base will shrink by one (or two if someone else decides to), but over all, at least from the comments I've read and heard in-game, the majority of people are very happy with this balance update, and the bottom line is we, Guild Wars 2 community, don't want to share Tyria with people that act as immature and stubborn as your comment shows you act. There are enough stressful problems in real life, and we play video games to unwind and forget our troubles, so having people like you ooze puddles of negative, cynical, pessimistic energy wherever you go, tend to make things MORE stressful.

Again, I've been guilty of the same thing you are, but as I grew up and *matured*, I realized tiny issues like the ones you're complaining about aren't worth a coronary. Thus, feel free to uninstall GW2 and you're welcome to "not give a fuc*", if you want. Just realize that nobody else cares, and that you are in the tiniest minority as far as your complaints about Thief go. Thief is improving, NOT getting worse.

PS: Btw, as far as the title of this topic goes ("Why bother"), for the majority of people, it DOESN'T bother us. So we don't bother; we just play and enjoy Thief. x)

I respect anyone's opinion but someone talking for the whole community doesn't make a lot of sense if proof is right infront of you. There are far less thiefs in PvP. Fact. Previous seasons close all matches had at least 1. Now every some matches 1. This is a huge change and not a good one. Of course; classes and builds come and go.

I also believe we should be able to adapt but there is a difference in forcing people and giving them the choice. Forcing us to run builds we do not enjoy and mechanically lackluster vs others, is no fun. 

I mainly played thief in PvP (8k hours) but now I do not enjoy it anymore in current state. Either thief is underwhelming or other(s) (mechanics) are overwhelming but that's another discussion. But fact remains; thiefs are far less playing PvP. Developers keep changing the balance because they know it's not good. They don't do it for the future. They do it for their current players. They have to appease the average joe and not the competitive players. Why? Because it's the average joe who are in much greater numbers and they buy skins for their mounts. They are the source of money. It really isn't too complicated. There is a reason why GW2 is no longer considered Esports title as it "once was".