Do you want an ultimatum over cosmetic effects? [guess not]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you demand the option to disable cosmetic effects and decide not to purchase the upcoming expansion pack unless this demand is met?

No. No, I don't think I will.I don't have many legendary trinkets that could cause such clutter and my PC isn't bothered by a few people dressing up as christmas trees. Also I kinda want to play the next expansion. Would I delay buying the expansion by x amount of time for this issue? Also no. To me this is such a minor issue that it has 0 effect on my purchase.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:For the purposes of your poll question ‘No’ and ‘Don’t Care’ are the same answer.

If you ‘don’t care’ you won’t give an ultimatum.

I suppose you're right about the 'No' and 'Don't Care' options, I kind of figured that most polls have that option like 'potato' that just doesn't matter so I should include one too.

@"Sylvyn.4750" said:Is this a game engine issue or a computer hardware issue? I was going to quip something like "get a better graphics card" so the CPU isn't throttling performance at 1080p, but then I realized the state of supply/demand we are in affecting CPU and GPU availability....

A lot of people are claiming it's a game engine issue, overusing the CPU and leaving the GPU largely unused in comparison. I could see this being the case but for now I see disabling cosmetic effects as an easy solution for when people don't have the hardware to handle them.

I dont have major issues with infusions and backpacks so much. Its the skill and other game-play particle effects which are not reduced well by settings and turning off post process, shadows, etc creates new visual issues like some areas become too bright while others are too dark with certain lighting and shading off.

That is if I want to turn off infusion effects as far as I know I can force my system to show simple models and get rid of that (if not maybe it should or have a checkbox for it).I would also like it is somehow I could still see targets, targeting better which is often obscured from all the effects spam from players armor, skills and the env combined.

That said, Im not sure what the best solution is or how feasible it would be for Anet to impliment changes that would make us all happy with the visuals so Im not in support of an ultimatum over it. The game has more important issues. Im reasonably happy with my ability to use the Nvidia overlay to tone down highlights and adjust the overall look. I still get the same issues, but it has helped in that the game used to make to close my eyes and turn away due to literal pain from the blinding glare of certain things. Its not quite as bad now for me.

@DaFishBob.6518 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I'm not sure threatening (or attempting to threaten) ArenaNet is the best approach to a desired outcome.

Maybe not but I don't see the current approach getting us closer to getting this kind of feature so I feel like that just leaves escalating communications or dropping out of the game.

Ahh. So you’ve tried out sPvP and WvW..,

@Moradorin.6217 said:That said, Im not sure what the best solution is or how feasible it would be for Anet to impliment changes that would make us all happy with the visuals so Im not in support of an ultimatum over it. The game has more important issues. Im reasonably happy with my ability to use the Nvidia overlay to tone down highlights and adjust the overall look. I still get the same issues, but it has helped in that the game used to make to close my eyes and turn away due to literal pain from the blinding glare of certain things. Its not quite as bad now for me.

This deserves a helpful.

@Veprovina.4876 said:No, because the effects are not the problem. Modern hardware can do ray tracing at 4k yet Guild Wars 2 doesn't manage a few effects without dipping to unplayable?This game needs an engine upgrade ASAP, if not before, then after EOD comes out. That's the only thing it's going to fix the effect problems, and with an engine upgrade, they will probably be more balanced visually or added options to disable. That cannot happen without an upgrade though, and an upgrade is needed to optimise performance. Especially on older hardware.

It's not just the problem with fps. It's also the problem that my eyes bleed from all the effects. That I can't see NPC telegraphs because of all the effects. That I can't see red circles on the ground because of all the effects. Moving to a better engine, and increasing my fps, isn't going to fix that problem.

I have post processing on minimum and it's still a problem. I have reduced character numbers and it is still a problem. How many options do I have to set to low or turn off in order to not see all the effects?

I have not encountered any other game that has this amount of avoidable, cosmetic-only visual clutter.

Ultimatums most never work in most places in life and are typically manipulative. No one wants to be forced to do anything for any reason. Its a typical power play move of people that are fed up or feel out of control.

It would take an inordinate amount of people to feel the same way you do to make anet even consider this. As people have suggested there are better ways to handle the cosmetic effects. I know nothing has been mentioned by anet about this but I believe that they have something brewing like an effects tab or whatnot. I personally don't mind people showing off their creative side. I personally would love to turn off the 7 orbs floating above my characters head.

@"DaFishBob.6518" said:I notice that the topics about cosmetic effects affecting performance and quality of life keep popping up in these discussions. The effects include infusions and equipment with auras and backpacks that always render no matter what settings are taken. With the expansion pack coming, would people here like to come together and declare that they will not purchase the pack unless these cosmetic effects can be manually disabled from rendering? I ask this not simply because I would like to be able to disable them from rendering but to also create a visible message to consider instead of players simply dropping out without notice.

So to reiterate:Will you demand the option to disable cosmetic effects and decide not to purchase the upcoming expansion pack unless this demand is met?

can we have a "lol" option to vote for please?

@DaFishBob.6518 said:

@Moradorin.6217 said:That said, Im not sure what the best solution is or how feasible it would be for Anet to impliment changes that would make us all happy with the visuals so Im not in support of an ultimatum over it. The game has more important issues. Im reasonably happy with my ability to
use the Nvidia overlay to tone down highlights and adjust the overall look. I still get the same issues, but it has helped in that the game used to make to close my eyes and turn away due to literal pain from the blinding glare of certain things. Its not quite as bad now for me.

This deserves a helpful.

If you havn't yet, turning Bloom down to under 10% or even off in the same overlay will help allot too with glare off peoples infusions, skill effects, and scenery in game.

I keep highlights low/off and bloom, then I tweaked contrast, and clarity up a little and thats about it. I play in Ultra mode settings so all post process, Shadows etc on highest so I still see allot of effects, but the game looks pretty at least and the glare isnt so crazy bad.

@Moradorin.6217 said:That said, Im not sure what the best solution is or how feasible it would be for Anet to impliment changes that would make us all happy with the visuals so Im not in support of an ultimatum over it. The game has more important issues. Im reasonably happy with my ability to use the Nvidia overlay to tone down highlights and adjust the overall look. I still get the same issues, but it has helped in that the game used to make to close my eyes and turn away due to literal pain from the blinding glare of certain things. Its not quite as bad now for me.

I tried nvidia filter after reading this, and reshade some time ago. Unfortunately, neither were satisfactory for me. These seem like they're just overlays and can't actually change the effects themselves. It's basically like walking into an extremely bright room and putting on a pair of sunglasses. Sure, the lights are not as bright, but it darkens everything you see through the sunglasses. For example, when I turn down the highlights in nvidia filter so that the grass in Dragonfall's Melandru area doesn't look so radioactively bright, all it does is darken all bright colors on my monitor. Sure, the grass is not as bright, but now my UI is discolored, too, along with everything else. There was just no way to adjust the actual effect itself without affecting all other similar colors.

@BlueJin.4127 said:

I tried nvidia filter after reading this, and reshade some time ago. Unfortunately, neither were satisfactory for me. These seem like they're just overlays and can't actually change the effects themselves. It's basically like walking into an extremely bright room and putting on a pair of sunglasses. Sure, the lights are not as bright, but it darkens everything you see through the sunglasses. For example, when I turn down the highlights in nvidia filter so that the grass in Dragonfall's Melandru area doesn't look so radioactively bright, all it does is darken all bright colors on my monitor. Sure, the grass is not as bright, but now my UI is discolored, too, along with everything else. There was just no way to adjust the lighting itself without affecting all other similar colors.

Yea the understand what you mean. Its not a total fix. But I do find that turning off bloom alone makes a HUGE difference and really is just removing a blurring effect that brightens highlights (no color, contrast, etc changes) The other I do is to turn off or down highlights, then I think I tweaked Gama, contrast, sharpness to get the overall contrast, detail, brightness the way I personally think I like it. I didnt change coloring or most other things. I do admit tho it doesn't resolve my issue of not being able to see through effect spam on targets some times and effect layering covering up targeting or other similar issues. It does help me eyes a bit though.

I play way zoomed out to avoid motion sickness so it's not like I can see much detail anyway. Plus, well, I'm pretty sure calling for a boycott (which this suggestion essentially is doing) is frowned upon by the moderators.

Would I like clearer views of what's going on? Sure. Will I refuse to buy the expansion if things stay as they are? Nope!

@"Infusion.7149" said:It's really only flashy backpacks. It probably has to do with the method of backpack implementation, as the Umbra-sourced CPU culling doesn't seem to cull them properly or drop their quality even if the main character model is turned to basic.

If you turn animation to low most infusion effects do not show. I don't think that infusion effects are a problem if they are culled properly , although people stacking 6+ different skin effects is excessive sometimes. Specifically in instances with fewer than 25 players (such as fractals, raids, strikes, DRMs, dungeons, PVP), they should not be disabled unless they outright cause a huge frame drop.

Edit: refer to https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cosmetic_auraA person in full legendaries* with any form of cosmetic infusion such as Moto's Bauble , Deldrimor Stoneskin , Liquid Aurilium would be over 6 different effects.(Vision + Aurora + Coalescence + Conflux + Transcendence + legendary weapon)

Hmm, seems you're right that most infusion effects do get hidden when everything is turned low. The only effect I could really see is the outline effect from some of the reverberating infusions. Still wish I could shut off my own though.

@BlueJin.4127 said:

I tried nvidia filter after reading this, and reshade some time ago. Unfortunately, neither were satisfactory for me. These seem like they're just overlays and can't actually change the effects themselves. It's basically like walking into an extremely bright room and putting on a pair of sunglasses. Sure, the lights are not as bright, but it darkens everything you see through the sunglasses. For example, when I turn down the highlights in nvidia filter so that the grass in Dragonfall's Melandru area doesn't look so radioactively bright, all it does is darken all bright colors on my monitor. Sure, the grass is not as bright, but now my UI is discolored, too, along with everything else. There was just no way to adjust the actual effect itself without affecting all other similar colors.

There is, it just takes a LOT of tinkering to come out with a preset that minimizes any potential negative outcomes of color adjustments, for a net very positive effect. For example, you can fiddle with contrast/brightness/gamma settings to change the balance of dark/light areas to the balance you like, it doesn't have to be that when you tone down the top lights all the shaded areas are max dark. You can drastically reduce the fog and subsequently the blue that will arise from it with a lot of tinkering too. You can also lower the saturation of colors to take some of the thickness of it out so it's not so overwhelming for the eyes. I know most released presets still fall for those things, but that's only because they haven't put enough effort into them.

I have been working the last 2 weeks on a preset like over 50h in raw tinkering swapping zones making adjustments.. like 12h work on it today lol. I can't even see anymore my eyes are so tired i can't focused them from working for this for days on end. And i'm getting there.. maybe i will release it tomorrow if i wake up and dont feel adjustments shoul be made. But i definitely found something that works for me better than any other preset i've tested and with effort i have been able to tackle any problems ive had so far in color imbalances to a high degree of satisfaction.

A lot of the players tend to make empty claims so while you may get a lot who say they wouldn't buy the expansion until there's a way to hide special effects, the vast majority would still buy it. While excessive special effects can get annoying at time, I don't believe that it's really a large enough issue for people to forego new content. Depending on how long they hold off on buying the expansion, this can set them back significantly, as well as make it more difficult to complete content tied to groups, as people have undoubtedly experienced with LS and PoF content.

I would like to see more toggle controls for UI and animations. But it is not a game changer, just would be nice.Making the UI more resizable and drag & drop is far more important to me than shiny players - but I would not quit over the UI either. Still buying the Deluxe version of the expansion as soon as I can.

I will absolutely be buying the next expansion regardless of this subject.

That said, yes I would support an option to toggle off certain effects on other players.

Sorry but i'm not sorry about that.. when I play this game and I see these horrendously ugly character that are walking around with a million effects on them it ruins my immersion into this game world.

I don't care how hard you worked for your shinies and I don't care if you love looking like your armour is made out of multi coloured high intensity lights.I am not taking anything away from you, you still get to look how you please to yourself on your own screen.But I am saying that others who dislike your choice in fashion should have the option not to look at it on their screens if they choose, especially if your shinies are actively hurting their experience via performance.