LS - seriously?

Nagiil.1230

@"Sobx.1758" said:I didn't like DRMs before and I still don't like them now (even though it's great they changed some of the annoyances people complained about, got to give some credit here). The only reason I'm not exactly disappointed with this release is because I've expected "more of the same[DRMs]" and that's exactly what we've got. Can't be disappointed when I expect/already know I won't enjoy that type of content.

But I've enjoyed the content before DRMs, so lets just hope next release will be something else that will actually be interesting for me again. I kind of accept these drms as an effort to release content for broader audience.And with that in mind... What's left now? WvW :grimace: (because LUL conquest, who cares :p )

Next release is more DRMs.

The one after - the finale, should be where something different will happen.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:I didn't like DRMs before and I still don't like them now (even though it's great they changed some of the annoyances people complained about, got to give some credit here). The only reason I'm not exactly disappointed with this release is because I've expected "more of the same[DRMs]" and that's exactly what we've got. Can't be disappointed when I expect/already know I won't enjoy that type of content.

But I've enjoyed the content before DRMs, so lets just hope next release will be something else that will actually be interesting for me again. I kind of accept these drms as an effort to release content for broader audience.And with that in mind... What's left now? WvW :grimace: (because LUL conquest, who cares :p )

Next release is more DRMs.

The one after - the finale, should be where something different will happen.

Yeah, by "next release" I've meant "after they are done with their DRM episode cut into multiple pieces". I don't even remember how many of them there were supposed to be, because I'm just not interested in them, so thanks for the clarification. :p

• Confused 1

I joke around now amongst my friends asking if they want to do some Structured Open World.

To me they feel to long for something that is meant to be repeatable. While organized groups will get through it faster. Pug groups trudge through each instance.

I am not a fan of any new instanced content / game mode anet makes because of the history of most if not all instanced content thus far. Its generally forgotten about once the "next big thing" pops in their head.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:New maps are good for you, maybe, but that doesn't make them good for the game. People keep saying, and I've seen it a number of times, that the population is less than it was say 2 years ago. How would anyone know? We have so many more maps. So many more metas. So many more places people can be.

If the population stays stable, new maps eventually become unsustainable. And Anet said straight out that we won't get new maps for every episode for the Icebrood Saga a long time ago. This isn't new information. It's been around a while.

For every person who asks for new maps, another person is complaining that people spend 2 hours on the new maps and never go back there.

While developing new maps comes with its own issues, DRMs are simply an awful method of content delivery. The story no longer feels like a story. The content is low-effort, boring, and not worth repeating beyond the single reward they added for a stupid amount of currency. I am on board with a
superior
method of content delivery to previous story releases, but DRMs are
not
it!

I am on board with another expansion, but they are murdering this content right now. I hope it's worth it...

DRMs are what they are. Some people really don't like them, some people like me like them okay enough except I don't love being forced to repeat stuff over and over again, and some people actually do like them. You're saying they're an awful method of content delivery but a lot of people have been saying that about story content for years. They're not satisfied with the way story content has been delivered all along. This shakes stuff up.

Okay you don't like it. But it's giving my guild something new to do as a group, because we're not raiders, but this is something that is more or less around our level, even with the challenges all on.

@Vayne.8563 said:

But sure, logically, if you have more maps you'll have less people in each map, particularly if each map as a meta. And some metas being less profitable will suffer. I don't really see how anyone can disagree with that.

Sure. But are we there yet and are DRMs the preferred content structure? In my opinion, no and no.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

But sure, logically, if you have more maps you'll have less people in each map, particularly if each map as a meta. And some metas being less profitable will suffer. I don't really see how anyone can disagree with that.

Sure. But are we there yet and are DRMs the preferred content structure? In my opinion, no and no.

DRM's themselves aren't a huge problem for me (although they rush the story along far too fast in order to check off salient points rather than explore them), but I don't think they are anywhere near strong enough to lead the content from Nov - Spring and maintain a long term population for newer players after everyone moves to EoD. It needed something with them - a map (even a core style map), more visions of the past or perhaps the DRM's could have existed on phased maps instead of instances. If it was one release drop, then it would probably be OK, but 3 back to back ones is a strange decision to have made - and we know this was the plan way back in the early part of IBS when they hinted about it last Feb.

Being Guild friendly is a huge positive given how poorly Guilds have had it the last few years, I just feel the depth and variety continues to ebb away and is laid barest with Champions

@Randulf.7614 said:

DRM's themselves aren't a huge problem for me (although they rush the story along far too fast in order to check off salient points rather than explore them), but I don't think they are anywhere near strong enough to lead the content from Nov - Spring and maintain a long term population for newer players after everyone moves to EoD. It needed something with them - a map (even a core style map), more visions of the past or perhaps the DRM's could have existed on phased maps instead of instances. If it was one release drop, then it would probably be OK, but 3 back to back ones is a strange decision to have made - and we know this was the plan way back in the early part of IBS when they hinted about it last Feb.

Being Guild friendly is a huge positive given how poorly Guilds have had it the last few years, I just feel the depth and variety continues to ebb away and is laid barest with Champions

I can agree with that. If DRMs had been part of something more I probably wouldn't feel like they represent a distinct low point for story releases. I've been playing since a little after HoT release and I can't say I've ever been less excited about the story content or spent less time on it than I do since we switched to this format.

The worst thing about this update is the storyline, even a 5 year old child would be able to do something more interesting and original.We really feel a change in the soul of the script since the main writers left arena...I have been playing guild wars for 15 years and I have never seen a story so messy and blandThe return of the dwarves without any lines of dialogue or details of what happened to them is a total disrespect to gw1 players.

The content is better than last time although it is still boring. At least the bosses have some mechanics even if it's still casual levelThe fact that there is an additional map is not a guarantee of quality, Just see drizzlewood coast added a few months ago which was an abomination: zerg spam1 kikoo. So you don't necessarily need a map, just quality content that makes you want to repeat it and this is clearly not the case.

in short, I'm just waiting for the end of this catastrophic saga to finally move on the extension which I hope will mark a real revival.I hope the team played guild wars faction to understand the soul of cantha, that they dare not to do something totally tasteless

I don't mind an update that doesn't bring a a new map, just like the Visions of the Past update: Steel and FireThat release brought out many new skins, lore, achievements, strike mission and etc.

I personally liked this release better than the last Champions release, as it feels there are more diverse places that we can go, if that makes any sense without spoiling anything. If they made it similar in scope to the Visions of the Past release, then I wouldn't have any problems with it.I just find that some of the DRM are a bit boring as well as some of the skins overly flashy with too many effects that don't match.The armor sets and pieces, like the runic armor, raven/bear shaman armors, ebon shoulders, dragonrender helm, visage of the khan ur, stone summit armor and etc are quite simple but cool looking, and not overly flashy. I would like them to finish the leopard and wolf shaman sets as well as bring in more realistic looking armor and weapon skins.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:poor end for a great saga, i enjoyed almost Bjora and Drizzlewood, are amazing maps and very lore rich, i enjoyed do achievments too;;;;now this cheap instanced content.

i feel like we have a "secret" cancelled to be delivered this.

And yet a lot of people don't feel this is a great saga. Most of the comment I've seen around are saying that this is the weakest season of the living world and that's saying a lot. I think it's a lot of hit and miss. I surely don't think we've seen the end of it yet, and I'm pretty sure it's not all DRMs till the end, so we can't say this is the end. My guess is it'll end with a regular story instance.

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:poor end for a great saga, i enjoyed almost Bjora and Drizzlewood, are amazing maps and very lore rich, i enjoyed do achievments too;;;;now this cheap instanced content.

i feel like we have a "secret" episode cancelled to be delivered this.

I feel similarly. I feel like we started out with some of the best writing the game has seen, and now it feels like all the build up the early episodes did was cut for time. I don't think the story they're doing through Champions is bad. It has great ideas, but they have to breeze past everything to wrap up the saga. Oh well. RIP to all the Norn and Charr lore I was hoping to see expand firsthand.

• 2 weeks later...

@"Vayne.8563" said:New maps are good for you, maybe, but that doesn't make them good for the game. People keep saying, and I've seen it a number of times, that the population is less than it was say 2 years ago. How would anyone know? We have so many more maps. So many more metas. So many more places people can be.

If the population stays stable, new maps eventually become unsustainable. And Anet said straight out that we won't get new maps for every episode for the Icebrood Saga a long time ago. This isn't new information. It's been around a while.

For every person who asks for new maps, another person is complaining that people spend 2 hours on the new maps and never go back there.I guess it's preferable that people don't even show up for their bimonthly "2 hours" at all then?

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:New maps are good for you, maybe, but that doesn't make them good for the game. People keep saying, and I've seen it a number of times, that the population is less than it was say 2 years ago. How would anyone know? We have so many more maps. So many more metas. So many more places people can be.

For every person who asks for new maps, another person is complaining that people spend 2 hours on the new maps and never go back there.I guess it's preferable that people don't even show up for their bimonthly "2 hours" at all then?

Yep, everyone just shows up for 2 hours when the stuff comes out. The 150 people in my guild who log in pretty much every day for hours don't matter at all. The idea that most people don't play the LS for more than that is at best an opinion. My opinion is that if that was actually the case, Anet would focus on something else. My guess is there are people playing playing LS maps than there are people PvPing or raiding, probably both combined.

I don't have the numbers obviously, but neither does anyone else...except Anet. I think their actions lend some credence to the idea that the LS is popular with at least a percentage of the population.