A small hope in regards to Mountskins for EoD.

I love this game, I'm in a active and well structured guild, and really this is my favorite MMO to date.

With all that gushing aside, I've checked the forums in regards to mount skin acquisition, the latest one I've seen was talking about getting skins that aren't in the sets via in game methods., say Skyscale skin missing from the Wintersday mount skin pack. Well fast forward and whelp A-Net chose the gemstore rout.

I hope in EoD, they may consider adding a skin obtainable via in game methods, I know we have WvW, but unless maybe I'm in the matrix, but everytime I see a mount with a cool skin I'm like "Oh yea...gemstore." I don't look in awe, or question what I need to play to get that, yea you could argue gold to gems, yet that's not even a cool story. It's a shame because GW2 has the best mount system by far, in regards to mechanics and usability, however aside from acquiring the mounts, there is nothing that really impresses me or has any fun story behind it.

Where as other MMOs despite a lesser mount system, someone can give you a story of how they got a certain mount. I get it the gemstore is law, it's everything, but if I saw someone with a base looking skyscale with plated armor on it and was achieved from that flying skyscale achievement, it'd tell me aside from a title that they did something. Again I know people are about to respond with gemstore and resources yet I can't for the life of me see how it'd hurt A-Nets pockets by have a few unique mountskins spread across in game rewards. I also understand complaints from people who may pvp but hate pve, and etc, well and?

I also dislike knowing that the upcoming rewards are expected, hardly to change things up, usually it's a mastery tailored specifically to the content being released, weapon skin set or two, and all quality products put into the gemstore. I just hope A-Net does better at giving more reasons to play content, and the more I look around the more I just see if it isn't legendary, then that cool thing was bought from the gemstore especially in regards to mounts.

Eh either this discussion is ignored, burnt to hell, or whatever I just...couldn't help but express that, cause I swear it just seems that it's more so fear of loss yet they experiment with things like DRMs but have never tested out an in game mount skin aside from WvW specific one.

A skin as a reward or part of an event would be lovely, however since the base game of course is free to play, the gemstore is the money maker. So as much as most of us would like to have the option to get a skin as part of a grind, storyline, holiday event, probably won't happen. One nice thing about the gemstore, for those players who do not have much time, it's very convenient. Making gold to buy them with and converting to gems makes for an Interesting personal goal as well.

I would really like something like that. I mean, why not?Something like that would feel a lot more rewarding to me than grinding a ton of gold for an expensive gemstore skin.I've never understood why there are no earnable skins.Even two gliders were added later in the game and is that why people don't buy gliders anymore?

@Fuchslein.8639 said:I would really like something like that. I mean, why not?Something like that would feel a lot more rewarding to me than grinding a ton of gold for an expensive gemstore skin.I've never understood why there are no earnable skins.Even two gliders were added later in the game and is that why people don't buy gliders anymore?

Are you talking about the legendary backpack gliders?

@Fuchslein.8639 said:I've never understood why there are no earnable skins.Perhaps Anet has found that players are more likely to spend actual money to purchase skins instead of grinding for them. I, for one, would probably not grind for them unless there was something very specific I liked about it. Also, as has happened with other in-game, earnable items, if players don't grind for them upon release they can find it a lot more difficult (almost impossible in some cases) to obtain them due to map population changes. As a very casual player, I have missed out on most of these opportunities.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Fuchslein.8639 said:I've never understood why there are no earnable skins.Perhaps Anet has found that players are more likely to spend actual money to purchase skins instead of grinding for them. I, for one, would probably not grind for them unless there was something very specific I liked about it. Also, as has happened with other in-game, earnable items, if players don't grind for them upon release they can find it a lot more difficult (almost impossible in some cases) to obtain them due to map population changes. As a very casual player, I have missed out on most of these opportunities.

Really? According to this argument, there should be nothing in the game. Then all these threads where people ask for things like mastery points to be added to the gemstore wouldn't be a thing. Because then everything in the game would have to be available in the gemstore because everywhere people are excluded. Uff ...And isn't it always mentioned here on the forum how lively gw2 maps are? And that the game is a group game with guilds?

Agree with kharmin that for very causal players it offers an otherwise unobtainable option. Everyone earns gold, at the very least by dailies, as opposed to grinding out something or behind content that many will never be able to do because of time constraints. While I have enjoyed obtaining mounts in other games through raid or grindy content, it's very difficult once that content becomes less relevant to find groups to share that interest. A new skin for the release, perhaps. Something new and fun just for EoD? Sure.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:I would not get your hopes up. Mounts are PoF content. PoF will turn free to play when EoD will arrive and everything there will not get any update except gemstore stuff. EoD will concentrate on new content and mechanics.

It will not HoT is still not free to play mate.

What I think you mean is that all expansions will be baked into EoD purchase.

We are not sure of that either since it took afew years for HoT to be baked in with PoF