PoF: annoyingly huge aggro radius

Ashantara.8731

I've been playing other maps aside from PoF maps lately because of the halloween event, going through some alts Personal Stories and LS2 and HoT stories to get some more black lion keys.. and it's really noticeable how much less obnoxious traveling around the maps is in them. HoT maps occasionally have mos with extended aggro radius but they're relatively few and far between. PoF maps.. it's near everything, you're virtually always in combat and it's annoying, and because the respawn rate is so high it feels pointless to fight especially when so many mobs create blindness effects around them just to make them take longer to kill. Really annoying, not fun. Really all I feel like doing is 1 solid run of Serpent's Ire to finish my funerary armor unlocks and then I just don't feel like ever going in PoF maps ever again unless these aggro ranges and respawn rates get dropped.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After playing some of both Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire, I can't see myself buying End of Dragons. Why do the mobs have more HP in these expansions? Why is the aggro radius so high? It seems that some content will require different mounts to reach. This is rather annoying. Why are portals to the zones obscured in many cases? Where are the roads in these new areas? I see lots of people having the same trouble. These issues are causing people to avoid content instead of having fun with it. The simple fact is that these two expansions suck most of the fun out of the game. It's not the same game in these expansions. It's bad enough that HoT has all these narrow places to cross ridiculous heights, the fact that things are constantly attacking you make the game nearly unplayable. You should not have to do anything special for that glider. The glider seems to be a must have in this region. Also, come to think of it, why do something special for the PoF mounts considering you can't seem to complete content without them? I worry that End of Dragons will be far worse.

@Ashantara.8731 said:I have to say, as much as I love the expansion, the fact that you are constantly under attack, thus unable to check out the map and your terrain options in peace, is quite an unnerving fact. Often, you get dismounted due to the mount taking too much damage, and the radius by which most enemies spot and attack you is ridiculous.

We have so much to look out for already, because some Mastery Points, for instance, are in very difficult places. Also, the frequent need to change between mounts, which per se can get quite frustrating, isn't helped either with this additional level of annoyance. Constantly being forced to dismount and fight is really getting on my nerves by now. Maybe you can tone it down a little?

I agree,,, and sand eels right at the start of Path of Fire will pursue you up and down pyramids, stumps, rocks, and then jump right at you... there is no peace, you stop for a minute to have a pee and literally get bitten on your bum by something. There is a challenge and then there is madness. The Forged are just hell and fury, it makes me literally faint knowing I have to go anywhere near their grounds, knowing it is going to be pointless trying to sneak past them. There was one bit in the personal story where you had to rescue one of the Order of Whispers' own and the town guards had a blue ring showing around them, a clever way to know how far you should walk past them to avoid detection... Maybe something like that is too much for all areas of the game.

But yes, Path of Fire does not even let you warm to the story, from sand eels and Choyasright at the beginning, you cannot even figure out where you are that you are relentlessly pursued and your mount killed.

Some players will say it is perfectly normal, no problem, what exactly are you complaining about, etc. Each to their own. Clearly some of us have a different experience of the game. Maybe it is time to tone it down or make it proportional to the number of people on the map sector at any one point... I.e. if two players go past, have three sand eels, but if one goes past, maybe have just one... I don't know what I am saying. I will go back in my little hole and hope those eels and sand lions can go past without too much trouble - but this sand always up my nose is bound to make me sneeze, and... oh no... they are coming... LOL

@Emily.3148 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:I have to say, as much as I love the expansion, the fact that you are constantly under attack, thus unable to check out the map and your terrain options in peace, is quite an unnerving fact. Often, you get dismounted due to the mount taking too much damage, and the radius by which most enemies spot and attack you is ridiculous.

We have so much to look out for already, because some Mastery Points, for instance, are in very difficult places. Also, the frequent need to change between mounts, which per se can get quite frustrating, isn't helped either with this additional level of annoyance. Constantly being forced to dismount and fight is really getting on my nerves by now. Maybe you can tone it down a little?

I agree,,, and sand eels right at the start of Path of Fire will pursue you up and down pyramids, stumps, rocks, and then jump right at you... there is no peace, you stop for a minute to have a pee and literally get bitten on your bum by something. There is a challenge and then there is madness. The Forged are just hell and fury, it makes me literally faint knowing I have to go anywhere near their grounds, knowing it is going to be pointless trying to sneak past them. There was one bit in the personal story where you had to rescue one of the Order of Whispers' own and the town guards had a blue ring showing around them, a clever way to know how far you should walk past them to avoid detection... Maybe something like that is too much for all areas of the game.

But yes, Path of Fire does not even let you warm to the story, from sand eels and Choyasright at the beginning, you cannot even figure out where you are that you are relentlessly pursued and your mount killed.

Some players will say it is perfectly normal, no problem, what exactly are you complaining about, etc. Each to their own. Clearly some of us have a different experience of the game. Maybe it is time to tone it down or make it proportional to the number of people on the map sector at any one point... I.e. if two players go past, have three sand eels, but if one goes past, maybe have just one... I don't know what I am saying. I will go back in my little hole and hope those eels and sand lions can go past without too much trouble - but this sand always up my nose is bound to make me sneeze, and... oh no... they are coming... LOL

You do know that the poster above you necroed a almost 3 half year old thread right?And path of fire were 90% in war zones bettwen 3 forces so it should feel chaotic.

Pretty sure the armies have disturbed the wild animals habitat so they lash out at anything.

@Linken.6345 said:

You do know that the poster above you necroed a almost 3 half year old thread right?And path of fire were 90% in war zones bettwen 3 forces so it should feel chaotic.

Pretty sure the armies have disturbed the wild animals habitat so they lash out at anything.

I think it is still relevant and @Nemesis.8576 must have thought the same...Maybe better than duplicating threads... no? Oh well, just me then x

@Emily.3148 said:

I think it is still relevant and @Nemesis.8576 must have thought the same...Maybe better than duplicating threads... no? Oh well, just me then xMy point being it have changed a bit since then so all god(pun intended) now right?

@Linken.6345 said:

I think it is still relevant and @"Nemesis.8576" must have thought the same...Maybe better than duplicating threads... no? Oh well, just me then xMy point being it have changed a bit since then so all god(pun intended) now right?

Suppose so. Wasn't there when PoF first came out...is it "easier" now? Could be.

Maybe expansions should just be done in groups...Soloing everything? Can bea drag (for me).

@Nemesis.8576 said:After playing some of both Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire, I can't see myself buying End of Dragons. Why do the mobs have more HP in these expansions?

Why is the aggro radius so high?

It's really no higher than elsewhere in the game with very few exceptions. I think the mobs with the largest aggro range are the white mantle knights or whatever which you see in LS3E1.

It seems that some content will require different mounts to reach. This is rather annoying.

That's kind of the point but after you get the mounts you have permanent access. You can obtain the first four mounts within 8 hours so it's not like players are severely impacted.

Why are portals to the zones obscured in many cases?

Obscured? Do you have an example?

Where are the roads in these new areas?

In HoT, there are none because you're in a jungle. That said, there are some clearly identifiable paths on the map and mini map which can be followed to get around. For PoF, it felt about the same as some core Tyria maps.

the fact that things are constantly attacking you make the game nearly unplayable

The enemies are not really so clustered that you're constantly getting attacked with the exception of enemy camps such as the one in Crystal Desert.

You should not have to do anything special for that glider.

You don't. You simply spend like 10 min doing events to gain enough XP to unlock it.

The glider seems to be a must have in this region.

It makes things easier but it's not a necessity for the majority of the content.

why do something special for the PoF mounts considering you can't seem to complete content without them?

Some content is behind them but the majority of content should be available without them. That said, you can get the first four mounts within 8 hours.

For those wondering, almost everything in PoF and LWS4 have 900~1200 aggro range. Almost everything pre-PoF have 600 aggro range (some may be less, IDK). Some enemies seem to have longer aggro range against gliding players but not grounded players. You can measure ground aggro range accurately using ranged ground targeting skills set to max range in the options.