Is it just me or does the male human voice acting sound absolutely terrible

Hallow.7368

@"LSD.4673" said:Vast majority of the voice acting is Pokemon-level. The girls are quivering cutesies bootsies, or fierce! independent! woah-mans!, while the men all sound like a 14 year old trying to deepen his voice by tucking in his chin. Rytlock, human and norn are the worst offenders.

The weird guy sylvari aussie-ish voice is grating at first, but might well be the best because of how absurd it is.

Rytlock is really bad. I find his "gruffness" to be so forced and exaggerated that it's distracting.

Nolan North is a great voice actor... in other roles, using different voices. I definitely think the Pact Commander was one of his weaker performances, it feels too forced, which infuriates me since I'm constantly playing games where Nolan North's voice is on point. Even in Guild Wars 2, Palawa Joko is probably one of my favorite villains in part because of the writing and Nolan North's delivery.

But I think this lands in the "too late to fix" category.

@Hallow.7368 said:It straight up just sounds so out of place in the game.

Sometimes. But the voice acting that really goes on my nerves is that of the male charr. It's not the voice actor's fault but what ANet makes of it by altering it through the addition of these terrible effects. It's too deep, too distorted, and it has way too many regurgitating sounds added to it. Ugh, horrible, I can barely stand it. The same goes for male norn (way too deep, sounds unnatural) - I deleted all my male norn due to this (and their ugly, misshaped body design).

@"Einlanzer.1627" said:Rytlock is really bad. I find his "gruffness" to be so forced and exaggerated that it's distracting.

100% agreed. :+1:

I really like the english human male voice. I'm a german player and switched to english just because of the male human voice. I play a lot of human (male) characters and I think it sounds really good. The german human male voice, however.. I don't really like it. It seems so forced and fake to me, idk why. Tbh, I really like every male character in english, with the sylvari being my least favorite. Then again, in german the NPCs have good voice acting too, imo. But I have to choose one :D

I actually really enjoy the Human male VA because most of the time he sounds like he thinks the things happening to and around him are as sus as I do. His vaguely uncomfortable/skeptical/frustrated tones are super relatable. I also like the male Sylvari VA because he either sounds smug or ready to flip a table at any moment - and who wouldn't if they had to live in Tyria with Braham?

@Einlanzer.1627 said:

@"LSD.4673" said:Vast majority of the voice acting is Pokemon-level. The girls are quivering cutesies bootsies, or fierce! independent! woah-mans!, while the men all sound like a 14 year old trying to deepen his voice by tucking in his chin. Rytlock, human and norn are the worst offenders.

The weird guy sylvari aussie-ish voice is grating at first, but might well be the best because of how absurd it is.

Rytlock is really bad. I find his "gruffness" to be so forced and exaggerated that it's distracting.

Having black goth spikey armour big man Rytlock "chewing out" doe-eyed silly-billy Rox with his "i'm strangling myself"-deep voice is just incredible, because you have to really come to terms with the fact that at NO POINT did the VA director stop and ask for something less strained, like someone whose larynx is closing up, and more like someone with character...

@"NBlizzard.6724" said:Nah it's just you. The human male actually sounds like the commander with my warrior's shouts. SHAKE IT OFF!!FOR GREAT JUSTICE!!I AM GONNA DESTROY YOU ALL!!

He speaks those lines with a lot of energy as a commander and warrior should during combat. I guess you mean the common storyline dialogues for characters.Well, the commander is supposed to be calm and not easily triggered by things, when not in combat, so I personally like it. There is so much VA you can do when the lines themselves are bland.

Really? Because whenever I hear one of my male humans say anything during a fight it sounds like he's just talking to himself and is mentally insane. Like why is "urge to kill rising" or "refreshing" in the game? When I clicked "save yourselves" for the first time on my guardian it was probably one of the most anticlimatic things I've ever experienced in a game. Male human VA just sounds bored half the time

@Zephire.8049 said:

@"Hallow.7368" said:Besides that the fact that the majority of characters made in this game are female
despite the audience more than likely being overwhelmingly male
throws being "relateable" completely out the window.Gotta cite your source for this because that goes against every breakdown of video game demographics over the past decade, and anecdotal evidence doesn't count.

I literally said "considering" and "more than likely." It's basically just a hypothesis. Though I'd absolutely love for you to show me any survey, study, or these "breakdowns" showing that videogame demographics aren't dominated by males. Just doing a simple google search and not looking a lot into it I found this https://www.statista.com/statistics/232383/gender-split-of-us-computer-and-video-gamers/between 2006 and 2020 there was not a single instance where more females played games than males and going based on this data I would consider 2006-2011, 2013, and 2015-2020 to all be years where men dominated the population leaving only 2012 and 2014 which is 2 years of those 15 where the population was fairly similar.

Also, go play valorant or overwatch for a month and tell me how many females you meet compared to guys. I know you said nothing anecdotal but thought I'd throw this in there anyhow.