PVP from a new player point of view

hsims.8364

started playing pvp last month and some things bothers me

1 the matchmaking is horrible pairing random skill level players and creating unfair games2 player afk and ruin the game3 players don't not pay attention to the game, just playing death match/ going 3v1 and leaving the map empty, jumping alone on 3 players, not reviving, not caping node4 bots, real bots

this is too bad because in enjoy the game mode but 80% of the time its unplayable and not fun, and i just want good games and to have funso i thought once i get to lvl 20 the ranked will be better but ohhh i was wrong, most of the games our team is losing 500 - 100 game after game after gamenow I'm not a great player myself but i get the job done, i got tactical sense i know when to cape, when to rotate and defend and get the kills i mange quite often be top stat so i know I'm doing goodi managed to understand in a short time how to play, rotating, and doing very well on a personal level, i watched some videos, learnd about the other characters why other players can't ?most of the games I'm with a team that insta die never rotate never just going middle node and dies, , i really try to make a difference but its just impossible when your team is doing nothing i can go 10-15 streak of losing by 400 margin which clearly is an indicator to unbalanced teams.I'm trying to move up to higher division so i could enjoy better game but its impossible with the matchmakingi get this feeling that pvp was fun few years ago and now its not, am i wrong?i really love playing but most of the time i end up giving up from frustration and not having funis anyone else feels like me? am i overreacting ?

english is not my native language sorry for the mistakes

• Like 3

PvP is the worst it ever was, but thats because the gamemode is kind of dead right now. There is no matchmaking without players. Check back when EoD releases, even with way worse balance(I cannot imagine them releasing balanced e-specs after PoF) it will be better just because there will be huge spike in player numbers.

• Like 1

IMO Ranked was fun a few years agoPvP in general was fun up until ~1 year ago

Less players hurt both Unranked and Ranked, but you feel it more in Ranked because that's where all the bots are going to go.The whiners and AFKers tend to go there too, because most people playing Unranked are just trying to soldier through dailies and sometimes get that incentive to keep trying.

In Ranked, there's also no real penalty to AFKers or bots, because the bots are going to get their sweet sweet pips regardless of contribution, winning, or losing.The AFKers only lose rating based on who they're matched with too, so if a Gold player gets matched with a bunch of plats(Which happens more often than you'd probably think) they're only set to lose about -10 rating while their higher-rated teammates lose a lot more.

• Like 1

@hsims.8364 said:

1 the matchmaking is horrible pairing random skill level players and creating unfair games2 player afk and ruin the game3 players don't not pay attention to the game, just playing death match/ going 3v1 and leaving the map empty, jumping alone on 3 players, not reviving, not caping node4 bots, real bots

1. When i was new i dunno about skill level of player, i just learn eventually from experience
  2. Yes, people afk for some reasons, i dunno why though
  3. People have different strategies, infinite strategies, not limited to the meta, it whats makes or breaks a game
  4. inb4 the bots were the chat spammers selling golds, now its the real game bots

pvp was always terrible for new players. the tutorial was absolute garbage und conquest is neither a very interesting nor very intuitive game mode (yes, even though it's just capping nodes).

having said that, pvp during vanilla was great for what it was. it was very tactical and to be successful you had to be really good. balance wasn't always great but at least it was a far cry from the garb it is today.

expansions and other random decisions pretty much ruined pvp, killed off the population and all that's left are wannabe elitists and people who can't let go.

sorry man, you're like 6-7 years too late.

• Like 1

The best advice I can give you would be to queue up with a friend. If playing in unranked, the more the merrier. It's more fun that way, and you'll have someone who can help explain things to you in real time.

Sadly, this game is not forgiving to new players when going in solo. Much of the population has died off, so the matchmaker simply doesn't have enough new players to pull from in order to create balanced matches.

If you do attempt to brave it solo. I have two recommendations.

1. Get confortable with your class first
  2. Play Ranked if you want better (note: not good, but better) matchmaking

Point 1 is a must if you want to avoid frustration. PvP is not a good place to learn your class. It has both a very high skillcap and a sizable skill floor. It will be a significant challenge for you to navigate that while also trying to pilot a class that is unfamiliar to you. Focus on getting comfortable with your class first so that you can devote your full attention to improving PvP specific skills.

Secondly, Ranked generally has better matchmaking than unranked. You can expect to find more balanced matches there. You will still have the occasional blowout game that goes 400-0, but they're much less common. As an added bonus, Ranked offers substantially better rewards.

Some additional Resources to be aware of:

MetabattleGods of PvP

Here you can stay up to date with the current meta and find builds for your desired class

Two noteworthy Youtubers

VallunMukluk

Vallun has been killing it lately with his PvP guides. He has a few builds on his channel that are friendly towards new players. My personal recommendation being his Flamethrower Scrapper build. Check him out if you're interested in improving.

Mukluk posts guides on how to aquire legendary gear through PvP/WvW, how to get started, and what you need to know. He also has similar guides for PvE if you're interested.

And that's about it. Frustrating as things can be at times, what keeps many people playing is the fluid and engaging combat. GW2 has some of the best MMO combat that the market has to offer. Once you learn to navigate it, it can be a lot of fun. Best of luck to you.

Machmaker always is frustrating for new players, the way that matchmakers works asumes new players have medium skills (they start with 1200 mmr points) this system is good for experienced PvP that come from others games and have only to adjust to mechanics and skills of this one and can start to climb to their true skill range without a lot of hardcarrying, but is bad, very bad for complete new players because scares them, its something like to learn to swim you threw the kid in the middle of the ocean (swim or die!!!!!!)

"Play Ranked if you want better (note: not good, but better) matchmaking"

This isn't right because

"Sadly, this game is not forgiving to new players when going in solo. Much of the population has died off, so the matchmaker simply doesn't have enough new players to pull from in order to create balanced matches."

You may get better matchmaking at a higher tier in ranked, I wouldn't know but the matchmaking at lower tier in ranked is a worse experience than playing unranked.

@"hsims.8364" said:started playing pvp last month and some things bothers me

Welcome to GW2-PvP in 2021. This is the result of years of contempt for the game mode on the part of those responsible (developers). It used to be different (...). Also, many screws were turned in the wrong direction. What you are now experiencing and rightly mentioning, not only as a new player, increasingly reflects the (mis)behaviour (of the developers) of not paying or not having paid the necessary attention to the mode (i.e., not developing or having developed it further). All patience knows and finds its end (on the part of the players)! Administration without future design or a proper concept does not work in the long run! The train left the station long ago, and the efforts to run after it (meaning ANet) is reflected in the coloteral damage in the current time. :)

No wonder why especially the interest of new players for PvP dwindles within a very short time, and they eventually leave the mode or even the game again. You can (still) have fun, but it is predominantly "time-limited", and you also need a lot of luck! Find the needle in the haystack.

spvp always with almost the same build always never changes and you hit the ball with this horrible LW lol. nothing new about the season differences and nothing important for an sPVP player. sad for the people who started playing and are in silver1, gold1 face off with other smurfs, and bots on the team will have a wrong thought of the sPVP that gw2 already had. :'(

thank you for the comments :)i think i was taking this ranked to seriously, my competitive nature wanted to climb up the ladder which brought me a lot of frustrationnow because of your comments about the state of pvp I'm taking it more easy and not really caring anymore about climbing upsome one said that ranked has better matchmaking but it didn't felt like at, in silver division at leasti was also wondering how is it possible to go gold or platinum? even if you are very skilled, playing with 4 other strangers is too random to have a wining streak, to many things can go wrong like afk, bots, newbs but i guess it is also true for the rival team.. are people playing with group of 4 friends to climb up?why anet don't make ranked based on level? like level 20 get you to ranked for level 40 will get you to better ranked and level 60 also.. dosent seem to hardwhile i respected each ones choice of characters i see a lot of dragon hunters, bunker scourgers with 4829 minions and bunker engineers, seems like easy choice for them without any real skill just spam conditions, traps and barrier in order not to die, fighting them is a nightmare especially scourge just throwing AOE conditions everywhere, spamming barriers, and minions and just standing there getting the killes

1. If you q new player I think you are silver 3/gold 1. The skill gap between teams shouldn't be that terrible even if yoilu dont play prime time. But your matches are full of bots.

2. Afking in such a low rating is quite common, players are way more toxic than in gold 2. They blame everything but themselves.