GW2's PVP in nutshell ?

Artyrim.1945

I'm a noob and after playing pvp for few weeks all I can say is : AOE AOE AOE AOE AOE AOE for win . And if the class has aoe cond skills is even betterSkills? Aim? Tactics? Assist ? Who cares!Just have a team with 2-3 Aoes like pala and ren and you don't need a brain to win.Ofc I go alone vs 2-3 people but they don't target me just spam aoe/ aoe with cond and they can kill me.. Is really frustrating to loss just because this ,when you can own them in a 1 vs 2-3 without aoe ( as mesmer), my stealth is almost useless and my clones can't stay alive for 1 sec...

Is the organized high end pvp just a spam of aoe ??

@"Artyrim.1945" said:I'm a noob and after playing pvp for few weeks all I can say is : AOE AOE AOE AOE AOE AOE for win . And if the class has aoe cond skills is even betterSkills? Aim? Tactics? Assist ? Who cares!Just have a team with 2-3 Aoes like pala and ren and you don't need a brain to win.Ofc I go alone vs 2-3 people but they don't target me just spam aoe/ aoe with cond and they can kill me.. Is really frustrating to loss just because this ,when you can own them in a 1 vs 2-3 without aoe ( as mesmer), my stealth is almost useless and my clones can't stay alive for 1 sec...

You have not reached "high end pvp" just yet. You're calling burn guardians "pala", thats how I know.

AoE spam is only effective in low end PvP, against newbies and baddies. If you stick to the game, you keep playing matches and actually try to improve, you'll fight better players, and the number of AoE-s will go down. Because "good" players know not to stand in red circles, so your enemies will be using them less.If you want to see what high end pvp looks like, you must improve a lot. Doing stuff like engaging enemies 1v2 or 1v3, summoning your clones into enemy AoE... I think even you know that whatever happened next is on you. You walked up on them, you threw your clones into those AoE-s.When I play mesmer, I wait for an opportunity to land my burst with my clones. You cannot just blindly summon them into the chaos of a teamfight and expect them to be around 10 seconds later when you have shatter off cooldown.So yeah, being new and trying what works and what doesn't is fun, just be aware that what you see around you has nothing to do with actual "high end pvp". AoE serves as area denial in actual competetive PvP, and not go to damage source, because people just don't get hit by it that much.

@Artyrim.1945 said:I'm a noob and after playing pvp for few weeks all I can say is : AOE AOE AOE AOE AOE AOE for win . And if the class has aoe cond skills is even betterSkills? Aim? Tactics? Assist ? Who cares!Just have a team with 2-3 Aoes like pala and ren and you don't need a brain to win.Ofc I go alone vs 2-3 people but they don't target me just spam aoe/ aoe with cond and they can kill me.. Is really frustrating to loss just because this ,when you can own them in a 1 vs 2-3 without aoe ( as mesmer), my stealth is almost useless and my clones can't stay alive for 1 sec...

This is why player retention in gw2 pvp is bad, why players leave and why new players think its garbage. The game has amounted into 90%spam aoe condi's on the node bunker builds that require 0 brain cells to play. Very few people enjoy this type of gameplay hence the near death population.

@Bazsi.2734 said:

@"Artyrim.1945" said:I'm a noob and after playing pvp for few weeks all I can say is : AOE AOE AOE AOE AOE AOE for win . And if the class has aoe cond skills is even betterSkills? Aim? Tactics? Assist ? Who cares!Just have a team with 2-3 Aoes like pala and ren and you don't need a brain to win.Ofc I go alone vs 2-3 people but they don't target me just spam aoe/ aoe with cond and they can kill me.. Is really frustrating to loss just because this ,when you can own them in a 1 vs 2-3 without aoe ( as mesmer), my stealth is almost useless and my clones can't stay alive for 1 sec...

You have not reached "high end pvp" just yet. You're calling burn guardians "pala", thats how I know.

AoE spam is only effective in low end PvP, against newbies and baddies. If you stick to the game, you keep playing matches and actually try to improve, you'll fight better players, and the number of AoE-s will go down. Because "good" players know not to stand in red circles, so your enemies will be using them less.If you want to see what high end pvp looks like, you must improve a lot. Doing stuff like engaging enemies 1v2 or 1v3, summoning your clones into enemy AoE... I think even you know that whatever happened next is on you. You walked up on them, you threw your clones into those AoE-s.When I play mesmer, I wait for an opportunity to land my burst with my clones. You cannot just blindly summon them into the chaos of a teamfight and expect them to be around 10 seconds later when you have shatter off cooldown.So yeah, being new and trying what works and what doesn't is fun, just be aware that what you see around you has nothing to do with actual "high end pvp". AoE serves as area denial in actual competetive PvP, and not go to damage source, because people just don't get hit by it that much.

kalla ren holo core nec scourgen etc there have been many top tier builds which use aoe spam, and even though op is new he is right that aoe is in general too prevalent and powerful in this game, not much can be done though

Any skills that hits multiple people or aply's its damage over a area should have its dps cut a significant amount from what they are now and builds that rely on braindead aoe spam need to be compensated to stay relevant as we don't want to lose what little build diversity we have left in the game.These days a new player tries out conquest and are net with what can only be described as what u see in the zerg pirate ship meta in wvw but obviously on a much smaller scale as its 5v5. The fights on most occasions revolve around players just spamming aoe circles on the node while doing a few single target skills. Look at the most used classes other than thief which is being used for mobility not aoe and u see most popular classes are classes that are most effective at aoe spam due to how effective aoe's are in the game. Honestly if ur gonna go as far as removing damage from cc why wouldn't u also do the same on aoe skills that hit multiple targets and that cover a area and just have them aply conditions like weakness, boon corruption and other similar conditions?Return some of the damage on cc's where it makes sense, and cut the effectiveness of aoe's and game would be in a bit better state on that front.

• 1 month later...

@"Artyrim.1945" said:Ofc I go alone vs 2-3 people

I don't necessarily disagree with your points but tbh you shouldn't engage into a 1v2 or 1v3 in the first place.. Defend a node in 1vX as a side noder yea, but not if you are trying to (de)cap a point. It's a waste of your time and you could be somewhere else, outnumbering another node. Like... If 3 people are on mid then this means that close and far are guaded by 2 people max.. Don't waste yourself into mid when there's a 2v2 going on on close or something.

Other than that/regarding the topic itself, well... Like I said, I don't disagree, there are quite a few AoE skills thrown around, mostly condi and it gets annoying quickly.. but then again, you shouldn't just stand in them. They are used as area denial on a node and I think that's a good tool to have ngl. Does that mean it's currently balanced? No.. I think it's a bit overtuned across several classes atm. But it shouldn't go away completely.I'm primarily thinking about Scourge, since to me it is the prime example of this kind of skills. Very strong AoE area denial aka extremely good for on-point team fights but is counter balanced by pretty poor 1v1 capabilities and skills are relatively easy to dodge, meaning Scourges can be focused and ganked. The issue imho is when we consider other strong AoE classes/specs which I avoid calling out now because I don't want to spark those kind of discussions here..

Of course its crucial to know which wells and stuff you can facetank and which ones are mandatory to avoid. "Fighting on-point" also doesn't mean to stay within the circle 100% of the time nor do all team members involved in that fight need to stand in the circle.I'm really sorry to say that, because I think the essence of what you are describing is actually there and is kind of an issue (however not as prominent as other issues imho) but the way you are describing it is just a l2p problem.

@Bazsi.2734 said:

The post started with "I'm a noob", wasn't that enough of a clue ?

@Bingus.4236 said:

The post started with "I'm a noob", wasn't that enough of a clue ?

I love it when people react to the only part of my comment not worth reacting to.

Maybe they should put a cap for condition per 4 sec .For example you can Burn the target for 5 stacks , and as the long seconds fly by , you unlock more max cap .If you have an offensive traitline equiped / or not choosing specific traits that have defensive purposes (for example each trait have "-20% Cold" mechanics . that you should avoid exceeding ) , deemed by the company , you have to wait 2 sec for the cap to increaseOr for every 2k damage , or specific attacks-spells done to you , the cap is increased (you chooses from a drop list , before you list yourself to join a pvp match)
Or choose 3 of 8 classes , where you can attack them uncapped from the start

@Bazsi.2734 Bro what are you talking about. Take a Look at the whole meta builds and you will see that he is just right ...... (renegate= spaming heroes and hammers aoe plus sevens shot/ core necro spam aoe weekness press Licht and kill all with 1 Button smash/ ele = okay it need hard skill but at least its also aoe Burn/ burn dh= yea full Trapper plus sword of justice .... nothing more to say here/ holo = feels so like its passive aoes doing more damage than its weapon skills/ Healbraker = shouts spam ... nothing more thsn right aoe heal) sure there are some 1v1 decap builds that are also strong but the only reason they playable are just knockbacks and the lack of Stability in the whole pvp game Mode.

P.S. This meta actually is just clearly a mid fight meta where mid fight classes are near as strong in 1v1 as side node classes. Why? Cause the most Side note builds are hard damage nerfed and a mid fighter is ways too long needed to kill

This gbage meta is what u get when u balance damage around whats being done to glassy builds not on higher sustain builds like the tank builds we see now. Generally classes like thief, mesmer etc that are the fast high burst classes are usually the classes/builds used in mmos to keep tanks classes in check by providing high bursts that happen quick, usually while +1'ing for ur teammate to burst the tanks down in a reasonable time. The damage has to happen quick due to the tanks re-sustain capabilities. These tanks now if played well can stall 1v2's and even 1v3 sometimes for far long. Thief as a example gets complained about from players on glass builds and complain about the spike being to significant comparative to their hp and armor, a 6-9k spike is huge on a glass build with 11k hp and low armor so thief gets its damage spike nerfed. Thing is that damage was a sweet spot against the tangier classes and now is nerfed down and tickles them, especs when their re-sustain ability is considered.Instead of those glassy players being like well I could added the sustain but sacrifice damage but instead the just want the damage nerfed so they can survive on glassy builds and still have their damage bursts.Bring back the high bursts on the bust classes to deal with tanks and if u build glassy dont complain a burst class hit u for a ton of ur hp on a pre set up bursts, if u don't like it build higher sustain and sacrifice a bit of damage.U see very few thiefs actually complain or wondering why they get destroyed so fast by another classes burst ie evicerate or any other classes heavy hitters cuz most thieves know that's normal and par for the course when playing a rogue like, u outplay and burst hard or out play by evading and disengaging properly OR u make a mistake/mistakes and get pounded into the ground very hard and fast.Look at the bursts necro or guards can release and how many mistakes they can make while sustaining themselves in the fight continual trading damage, a thief can make mistakes and disengage but thief that disengage leaves the fight ceasing to do damage and to reset also allowing opponents to reset.Anet needs to do a actual balance pass looking at each individual class.

@Pati.2438 said:@Bazsi.2734 Bro what are you talking about. Take a Look at the whole meta builds and you will see that he is just right ...... (renegate= spaming heroes and hammers aoe plus sevens shot/ core necro spam aoe weekness press Licht and kill all with 1 Button smash/ ele = okay it need hard skill but at least its also aoe Burn/ burn dh= yea full Trapper plus sword of justice .... nothing more to say here/ holo = feels so like its passive aoes doing more damage than its weapon skills/ Healbraker = shouts spam ... nothing more thsn right aoe heal) sure there are some 1v1 decap builds that are also strong but the only reason they playable are just knockbacks and the lack of Stability in the whole pvp game Mode.

P.S. This meta actually is just clearly a mid fight meta where mid fight classes are near as strong in 1v1 as side node classes. Why? Cause the most Side note builds are hard damage nerfed and a mid fighter is ways too long needed to kill

My main point was that brainless AoE spam is less effective the higher you go in ratings. Listing a bunch of builds using AoE-s does nothing to dispute that.Also, the lack of punctuation hurts my eyes and brain. If I misinterpreted your point, try again with a properly formatted text, as I am clearly too dumb to read this.

@"Bazsi.2734" Well those "random builds" are actually the Meta builds. And they arent Meta for no reason. They are actually the most effetive way to play competetive pvp..... and most of them are just as said AoE spaming Builds.

I dont wana say aoe spaming builds are the only played builds now .... of course not but its trueth that they are actually so effective that they are hard to get downed fast.... even while they are focused xd.

P.S. Nah you arent too dump xd. My english is simply bad af xD!

what do people even mean when they say aoe. any attack that hits more then 1 person lol? cuz thats basically every gw2 skill, i don't know how you couldn't notice that. to me aoe means it has a radius and a duration, and no, those aren't spammed (in team fights all you gotta do is walk off point). exceptions are renegade and most guardian builds.