What is your opinion on IceBrood Saga

vier.1327

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My answer:The new maps are the only content saving it from a 1 to me.The story is tedious to follow and imho boring as hell - I never liked how GW2 handled story and most of the plots are imo really not good.

My side notes for LS:I feel like Living Story is the main issue GW2 has, it holds everyone back of making actual content and instead we get instances consisting of waiting rooms with some conversations going on around you. I honestly can't appreciate anything positive since this just drags everything down for me and forcing myself through pure boredom has become synonymous to Living Story for me.

If Anet just monetized their content they wouldn't be pressured to force those skins into your face I'm honestly just waiting for the house of cards to collapse, when most of the people are oversaturated and they don't think it's worth to buy another outfit they will never use. Anet is branching out with mounts, novelties,... and for a lot of whales this probably is sufficient (that's why it still works) but I think Anet's pushing here a little bit..

So I _really_hope that IBS will be the last living story season and that they eventually monetize the stuff that people actually care about. Skins are just nice to have but I don't think a lot of people will login every day because they want to checkout their cool new cape for an hour or two - at 30 fps. (I know there are some people like this actually)

Imo, if you step away from the fact that they promised expansion-like material, it was actually quite good. The metas were unique and engaging. The horror theme of the first half of Bjora was palpable and I thought it was a neat experiment. I actually like the story.

I ding:1) The overpromised hype of it2) The ridiculousness of having DRM CMs as part of the meta achievement at their current difficulty3) The grindiness -> An AP hunting friend didn't like how grindy many of the achieves were and the light puzzles didn't work against the normal jps. Timers aren't fun. Espeically for lax open world content.

Overall it's content I wish I had more time for, but in light of the Legendary armory achieve don't.

@LadyRhonwyn.2501 said:Let's just say, it's the first LS, that I haven't even finished previous parts when the new parts came out... I loathe that forced playing together. I like to play with others, but not when I MUST play with others to finish my story. Right now, I'm at the point where I might not even buy any upcoming expansion, if this is the way ANet is moving.

What forced grouping are you referring to? I will somewhat agree they're not doing a good job playing to their base. They need to do a balance of supporting the current playstyles and adding new ones.

@DoomNexus.5324 said:My answer:The new maps are the only content saving it from a 1 to me.The story is tedious to follow and imho boring as hell - I never liked how GW2 handled story and most of the plots are imo really not good.

My side notes for LS:I feel like Living Story is the main issue GW2 has, it holds everyone back of making actual content and instead we get instances consisting of waiting rooms with some conversations going on around you. I honestly can't appreciate anything positive since this just drags everything down for me and forcing myself through pure boredom has become synonymous to Living Story for me.

If Anet just monetized their content they wouldn't be pressured to force those skins into your face I'm honestly just waiting for the house of cards to collapse, when most of the people are oversaturated and they don't think it's worth to buy another outfit they will never use. Anet is branching out with mounts, novelties,... and for a lot of whales this probably is sufficient (that's why it still works) but I think Anet's pushing here a little bit..

So I _really_hope that IBS will be the last living story season and that they eventually monetize the stuff that people actually care about. Skins are just nice to have but I don't think a lot of people will login every day because they want to checkout their cool new cape for an hour or two - at 30 fps. (I know there are some people like this actually)

Honestly monetizing DLC in an MMO is a HUGE mistake. it stratifies the player base and puts artificial barriers on grouping. I actually think they should give LW seasons for just remaining active if you dont' have them all. I feel like that's one of the reasons why LW content doesn't age well at all.

They actually already have a strong pay to progress mechanic being able to convert gems to gold. All they need to do is add new systems for the whales to sink teeth into. I'm not sure leggies will last forever because people will saturate (though i think they should add new variants of all weaps/armor, because if it's good I'm sure some people will still make it).

Selling expansions is probably fine if they keep it close to the frequency they have now.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@"DoomNexus.5324" said:My answer:The new maps are the only content saving it from a 1 to me.The story is tedious to follow and imho boring as hell - I never liked how GW2 handled story and most of the plots are imo really not good.

So I _really_hope that IBS will be the last living story season and that they
eventually
monetize the stuff that people actually care about. Skins are just nice to have but I don't think a lot of people will login every day because they want to checkout their cool new cape for an hour or two - at 30 fps. (I know there are
some
people like this actually)

Honestly monetizing DLC in an MMO is a HUGE mistake. it stratifies the player base and puts artificial barriers on grouping. I actually think they should give LW seasons for just remaining active if you dont' have them all. I feel like that's one of the reasons why LW content doesn't age well at all.They actually already have a strong pay to progress mechanic being able to convert gems to gold.I kind of agree with paywalling content being bad but on the other hand I'd vastly prefer it over losing any long term motivation the devs could introduce in the game because they have to get that money elsewhere.

All of the endgame revolves around the gems2gold conversion. Which itself is great btw, I just think the need for pushing new stuff because they can't get money through "normal" means is kinda meh.. There's nothing you can achieve ingame since all new flashy skins - be it outfits, weapons, glider, back pieces, mounts, ... - are just pushed into the gem store.Even most of the legendary weapons come nowhere near the prestige that some Black Lion weapon skins have. Obviously it's a matter of taste but even if we disagree on individual skins noone can deny the overarching problem. The only exception are probably Raids since the PvE legendary armor is still unique but even then.. A) Only a relative small portion of the playerbase does them B) Anet pretty much discontinued raids at this point and C) a lot of the outfits are just prettier even without an animation.I remember when I saw a guy in dungeon armor some time after release when I still was like Lv 50 or something (I quit because I hated the leveling experience) and I thought this looks so cool compared to everything else I've seen up until that point and was eager to get to Lv 80 and do dungeons.. Because I wanted to achieve that and earn the armor myself. There are no moments like that anymore. Nowadays it's just something between "okay, how is the gold2gem course atm?" and "nah, I'm good, I'm not using those other 20 gem store skins I've bought already".

I mean.. I currently have 2 legendaries in my bank for example, I still don't have the skins unlocked and I will never use them either. I just want to sell them at some point because I already have gem shop skins that I think look way better than a kitten legendary that is meant to take months to get . And they are not the first 2 legies I've crafted and will sell because I don't want them btw. People were crying for (ingame) obtainable glider and mount skins for ages but well.. Anet has to make money so nothing earnable for us that gives any prestige I guess... I think the system Anet had implemented hurts the overall community more than it aids the whales..

@TheThief.8475 said:

I mean that they are a GREAT way to play the instanced story chapter that you used to play alone. I don't say they are a good repeatable content, they are just great if you play each of them one time. I would like to see instanced story chapter in this format in EoD.

OH GOD, no...arena don't listen to it, don't destroy cantha with that kind of mediocre content, i beg you

I can't believe I'm reading such an idea. It will already be hard to endure this horror until the expansion and now some players offer to keep this content for EoD... :#Well after seeing the feedback on this forum, reddit and in-game, you are very much in the minority. FORTUNATELY. There is absolutely no place for the story in DRM and it's always the same thing over and over.

I have never been so bored with some content and yet I have been playing guild wars regularly for 15 years.

@radda.8920 said:

I mean that they are a GREAT way to play the instanced story chapter that you used to play alone. I don't say they are a good repeatable content, they are just great if you play each of them one time.
I would like to see instanced story chapter in this format in EoD

OH GOD, no...arena don't listen to it, don't destroy cantha with that kind of mediocre content, i beg you

I can't believe I'm reading such an idea. It will already be hard to endure this horror until the expansion and now some players offer to keep this content for EoD... :#Well after seeing the feedback on this forum, reddit and in-game, you are very much in the minority. FORTUNATELY. There is absolutely no place for the story in DRM and it's always the same thing over and over.

I have never been so bored with some content and yet I have been playing guild wars regularly for 15 years.

You dislike em so much even the first time you played em? lolI was suggesting to use this format for some story instances (single player story istance, i guess it is clear- and just when it makes sense) not for repeatable content, i have played them once and i liked it. I wont grind em like you all did, to the point that you don't even want to see something similar again

@TheThief.8475 said:

I mean that they are a GREAT way to play the instanced story chapter that you used to play alone. I don't say they are a good repeatable content, they are just great if you play each of them one time.

You dislike em so much even the first time you played em? lolI was suggesting to use this format for some story instances (single player story istance, i guess it is clear- and just when it makes sense) not for repeatable content, i have played them once and i liked it. I wont grind em like you all did, to the point that you don't even want to see something similar again

i played them once too and the best approach is to afk and hope you're back on time to get the loot. first even are useless and ruin the whole thing, boss themselves aren't much more interesting as those that where present in personnal story. they sould have continue with strikes like the 5 first rather than going on DMR and giving up on personnal story

@radda.8920 said:

@"TheThief.8475" said:

I was never the "too much critical" type(normally i have low expectations), and I completely agree.

I feel like most people who voted don't actually understand what 1-10 is. 1 means it was a waste of money, you had no fun with it at all, and regret ever buying it.1 is representative of the worst possible time you could have. If you had any degree of fun then 1 is not a proper number, 2 at worst. Rather than putting an arbitrary 1-10 vote poll that will mostly be misused by people who use the lowest score to vent personal grievances without real consideration, it would be better to just focus on sollicting nuanced feedback. 1-10 is as nuanced as peoples butt reaction, which is to say, not very much so. Also, I bet most people who voted haven't even bothered to detail their problems, and if you can't do that much then your opinion isn't worth a whole lot, sorry.

@"mindcircus.1506" said:There is plenty of content in this game that cannot be solo'ed.How is this Anet "agreeing with you"?

It's an mmorpg. You are not supposed to be able to solo everything or even close to it.

@"Yggranya.5201" .1506" said:What, is EVERYTHING supposed to be for everyone? That's not how reality works.

So much this.

Well, the start was excellent.Grothmar Valley, Bjora Marches and Drizzlewood Coast all were great maps with nice events. The metal concert also was awesome.Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire was okay but the achievements were very grindy.And since the Champions releases things have gone downhill fast with no new maps and little story content.

So, in short: All releases that brought new maps: Great, awesome and good quality. Champions releases: Very disappointing.I hope next release will come with a new map again because it is overdue.

I particularly dislike the missions parts. Some of the mobs are crazy powerful mostly when you end up alone in the instance. My main problem though is that its badly done. You get a huge list of Achievements or items to get (like the numbered crystals) and when you try to do/get them you can't cause they are not active and it doesn't say that anywhere. Last chapter it says to do Exalted Missions... there aren't any and NO mention they don't exist (Many friends looked for them too). You didn't even start anything and you get frustrated by how bad it's done. NO info of all the stuff that don't exist but you are asked to get/do it. Even Wiki doesn't help. How hard could it be to either grey out anything not active or simply add a note: NOT AVAILABLE YET. And please PLEASE stop adding collections in story achievements.

@Image.8630 said:I particularly dislike the missions parts. Some of the mobs are crazy powerful mostly when you end up alone in the instance. My main problem though is that its badly done. You get a huge list of Achievements or items to get (like the numbered crystals) and when you try to do/get them you can't cause they are not active and it doesn't say that anywhere. Last chapter it says to do Exalted Missions... there aren't any and NO mention they don't exist (Many friends looked for them too). You didn't even start anything and you get frustrated by how bad it's done. NO info of all the stuff that don't exist but you are asked to get/do it. Even Wiki doesn't help. How hard could it be to either grey out anything not active or simply add a note: NOT AVAILABLE YET. And please PLEASE stop adding collections in story achievements.

Check bonus events tab under h and you will find the exalted missions.

Honestly, I really enjoy Icebrood Saga for several reasons

1. I like that each of the maps are very different from each other. Grothmar was a big party map. Bjora was more horror focused, and used environmental effects like freezing storms. Drizzlewood felt like a big war map, and added in WvW elements to PvE gameplay.

2. I'm glad Anet stopped adding in new maps every single release. One of the biggest problems Guild Wars 2 has is that it has so many maps, but so few of them get played, that most of the game space is dead, and empty, or nearly so. Living World S3 and S4's obsession with adding a new map every release ended up being one of the biggest detriments to the game in the long run. It just meant lots of maps, with little in them, got added all over the place, only to be immediately abandoned 2-3 months later when the next release came out. Not adding a new map, and instead expanding on maps like Bjora and Drizlewood, cut down this problem massively, and kept people in those maps for much longer periods of time. And I hope this split map thing is something they continue into post EoD LW content.

3. As kind of a continuation of 2. I really enjoy the Champions releases because they aren't in a new map. One of the biggest narrative problems Guild Wars 2 has always had is that we are constantly told that the dragons, and their minions, are attacking all over the place, but we almost never actually see this in-game. Dragon minions usually being sequestered into far off regions of the world, far away from any inhabited area. Had Icebrood Saga continued on like previous Living World seasons, this whole story of Jormag and Primrodus fighting each other, and invading the world, would have turned out the same way. An invasion in name only not reflected in the actual gameplay, or map content. DRMs not only skirt around adding in YET ANOTHER map no one is going to visit after the next release comes out, but also allows them to actually have dragon minions attack places, or just outside places, like Rata Sum, Lion's Arch, Ebonhawke, Divinity's Reach, etc. Champions is honestly the closest Guild Wars 2 has ever gotten to actually delivering on the dragon invasion premise since the attack on Claw Island story instance back in vanilla. And unlike Claw Island, I can actually replay this without having to make a new character.

4. I also like the addition of new allied factions to the DRMs over time, as well as the updating of the EoTN to include NPCs from these new allied factions. Its probably been the most I've felt like we actually have this big alliance of forces helping us fight the dragons since the formation of the Pact back in core. And it really builds on the fact we HAVE helped a lot of people throughout our adventures, so it makes sense they would want to help us in return.

@"Kurrilino.2706" said:I somehow have a hard time to even call the last episode an episode.It was exactly like the one before without any story. Just portal to 3 locations and hold the town.

That's because those weren't episodes but chapters of one episode (Champions). Still, I agree that these mini bits are not what we are used to from previous LW seasons.

But there is more...

The Icebrood Saga made me delete several characters

GW2 always prided itself on being alt-friendly. Well, it no longer is, which is why I deleted several characters and retired two others. It was shortly after the Drizzlewood release.

Reasons:

• Content has become very grindy, including playing through the story. I am a completionist, I've always played through the story with all of my characters and I used to enjoy it. But suddenly being forced to play meta events as lengthy and tedious as Drizzlewood with each single character to progress in the story was just too much and downright boring and exhausting. So I said, "No, thank you."
  • Story content suddenly forced you through tons of group content and "encouraged" you to have all characters raid-proofed. Well, I have some professions that I only play occasionally for fun and diversion. I never took the time to perfect their meta build rotations and class mechanics (e.g., Revenant). Now I am forced to play through group content that requires you to be good at it (as per DPS meters). And on top of that, you have to look for a new group every couple of missions, simply because the DRMs are interrupted by non-DRM story content that you must play through if you want to proceed. That makes it really time-consuming and irritating, so why put up with it needlessly? Exactly. Ergo I deleted professions I had multiple characters of (except for two which I kept for their age) to make my GW2 life less stressful.

I've even considered to stop playing with all characters and resort to only my main character from now on when it comes to story content. And I might if the devs continue down this road. I think that's a pretty sad testimony for GW2.