How do I beat dodge mechanics?

This goes especially for bosses who summon huge area of effect attacks, because I find it impossible to run or dodge from these areas of denials (my biggest bane in this game) on my super slow engineer. The current one I’m stuck on is Eir, only the first boss already in the Mordremoth fight.

Can anyone please help me out? I’m seriously considering throwing cash at writ of masterful speed in hopes of making dodging doable.

This is the first time I’ve posted in the three years I’ve played, just to indicate my desperation in trying to beat Eir to clear my quest. (I had intended my post to be an in depth game review with ratings after I complete all my quests up to Icebrood saga before moving on to play and rate other MMOs. It’s unfortunate I may have to take movement speed penalties into consideration when marking the review for combat)

Any help in the form of advice or adding me as a friend even, since I hardly have any to help me with beating game content would be greatly appreciated.

Edit after a reminder in comments section:

My display name is Syn AtomusServer: Crystal Desert (North America)Usually on from 1-2 PM GMT on weekdaysWeekends, free most of the day.

You don't need to dodge out of an aoe circle. If you time it right, your dodge will evade the attack itself which will hit anywhere within that radius the boss lays down on the ground. If you are running out dodge, ensure you are bringing some skills which give you vigor - that speeds up your endurance bar getting back to full

Switch to ranged or focus on Garm until she goes to rez him and then pile in - makung sure you break her blue bar with cc skills!. Repeat

Or retry, not picking Braham and you wont get her as one of the bosses you fight. You will always get two depending on the NPCs you pick as allies

Eir unleashes a pretty long stream of small aoe-attacks. I guess this is about those. The trick is to just run. You can't dodge often enough to evade all aoes, but you can run fast enough to run out of the aoe before it hits. Just keep running until the barrage of aoes lets up.

The trick in that fight is to kill Garm first. Once his hp reaches zero, Eir heads over to Garm to heal him. Use cc skills to break her blue bar. Once she's stunned you have a time-window where you can deal damage.

If you want help in-game it would be good to post whether you're on EU or US. The regions can't play together without a costly server transfer.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:Eir unleashes a pretty long stream of small aoe-attacks. I guess this is about those. The trick is to just run. You can't dodge often enough to evade all aoes, but you can run fast enough to run out of the aoe before it hits. Just keep running until the barrage of aoes lets up.

The trick in that fight is to kill Garm first. Once his hp reaches zero, Eir heads over to Garm to heal him. Use cc skills to break her blue bar. Once she's stunned you have a time-window where you can deal damage.

If you want help in-game it would be good to post whether you're on EU or US. The regions can't play together without a costly server transfer.

Thanks for the reminder, it’s Crystal Desert US

One of my toons is an engineer - more precisely a scrapper. I've built him up to be quite tanky, albeit at the suffering of some dps. The gyros and shields you get are pretty useful at mitigating damage and with the hammer, you get additional blocks and cc. It may not be the most exciting build, but he stands up well enough against instanced bosses and survives without issue.

Are you using any elite specs?

Some general tips.Don't use double-tap to dodge. Bind it to a separate key. I have it on my mouse, find it best, least disruption to my movement and skills.You don't need to run out of the circle if you time the dodge properly. Running away usually means losing dps time and if you are in a group running out of the stack and in it's worse getting downed somewhere far away.I find Rocket Boots a great engie skill for open-world or story.

@Randulf.7614 said:You don't need to dodge out of an aoe circle. If you time it right, your dodge will evade the attack itself which will hit anywhere within that radius the boss lays down on the ground. If you are running out dodge, ensure you are bringing some skills which give you vigor - that speeds up your endurance bar getting back to full

Switch to ranged or focus on Garm until she goes to rez him and then pile in - makung sure you break her blue bar with cc skills!. Repeat

Or retry, not picking Braham and you wont get her as one of the bosses you fight. You will always get two depending on the NPCs you pick as allies

This.

In some games you have to be out of the circle to avoid the AoE damage. In GW2 you merely have to be in mid dodge at the moment of the damage effect. So focus on timing your dodge rather than trying to move farther. That said, yes a speed boost, in the long run, added to your build can be very helpful because moving out of some circles means you still have your dodge(s) available for the others.

@"Isometric Decoder.1356" said:This goes especially for bosses who summon huge area of effect attacks, because I find it impossible to run or dodge from these areas of denials (my biggest bane in this game) on my super slow engineer. The current one I’m stuck on is Eir, only the first boss already in the Mordremoth fight.

Can anyone please help me out? I’m seriously considering throwing cash at writ of masterful speed in hopes of making dodging doable.

This is the first time I’ve posted in the three years I’ve played, just to indicate my desperation in trying to beat Eir to clear my quest. (I had intended my post to be an in depth game review with ratings after I complete all my quests up to Icebrood saga before moving on to play and rate other MMOs. It’s unfortunate I may have to take movement speed penalties into consideration when marking the review for combat)

Any help in the form of advice or adding me as a friend even, since I hardly have any to help me with beating game content would be greatly appreciated.

Edit after a reminder in comments section:

My display name is Syn AtomusServer: Crystal Desert (North America)Usually on from 1-2 PM GMT on weekdaysWeekends, free most of the day.

Why don't you take screen shot of your gear and your traits so we can see what attributes, runes and weapons sigil you have equipped on your character?

Don't forget that Engineer have kits both as utility skills and as Elite which adds another set of tools do get rid of conditions or to heal with a combo (blast fields or use whirl from skills).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

Dodging in time is important, but also to use right skills and combo to gain health or avoid damage in time.

You also need to keep an eye on boss Defiance bar and break it when it is possible. Use condition that do damage over time even when Defiance bar is blocking direct damage. The big heavy damage you need to dodge, but general you also need to have gear with enough Vitality (more HP before you getting in downstate) and Toughness reduce direct damage.

Use NPCs as adviced above and buff them with boons (to keep them alive longer and work as tanks to take away focus on yourself, at least in Story mode).

Sigil of Energy (which work on weapon swaps and for Engineer also on kits skill (when you enable or disable to replace your ordinary weapon skills #1-#5) and profession skills (F1-F5).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Energy

Barrier from give you some short term extra HP from explosion. It increases Vitality from Power (10%).

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blast_Shield

It is a tricky fight, but possible to do if you have done it couple of times. Use YT to watch how other players have overcome this fight.

@Deedrick.4372 said:Finish your mastery and use the speed boost mushrooms and adrenaline mushrooms as the fight intended.

Ah I didn’t notice that since I didn’t expect masteries to be significant in a boss fight as they didn’t apply to Zhaitan.

Now that you mention it and I’ve seen for myself how I could make use of the mushrooms indeed, in addition to the glider requirement for the Mordremoth final fight stage, I’ll take note of mastery significance in the other two expansion stories.