Returning Player from 5 yrs ago, having issues staying alive!

Shieldbash.5304

Good Morning,

I left 5yrs ago after playing my Warrior in rated daily for a long time and the game got stale, I left to play other games and have come full circle. That said I have a lot to relearn as I am lost trying to remember how, where , why everything I need to do.

I decided instead of relearning with my 80 Warrior, I'd play my 80 Ranger, however even upgrading to get Soulbeast and Druid it seems no-matter what deviation of spec I choose I just am literally destroyed by most classes. Sure I understand I am a noob again, but I am not a horrible player, just relearning.

I seem to be missing many damage sigils for pvp build causing Earthquakes when swapping weapons and such? I also notice Ranger seems to be the only class unable to use Fire Conditions? Even the Trap does so little fire damage its not worth even using, I cannot combo and variation of talents or weapons to cause fire damage...

Against Warriors, Guardians they literally just move in and start crushing me, I dodge and pop immunity, root, knockback but as soon as thats over I am usually at 20% hp and get deleted.Are rangers just bad now?

@Shieldbash.5304 said:Good Morning,

I left 5yrs ago after playing my Warrior in rated daily for a long time and the game got stale, I left to play other games and have come full circle. That said I have a lot to relearn as I am lost trying to remember how, where , why everything I need to do.

I decided instead of relearning with my 80 Warrior, I'd play my 80 Ranger, however even upgrading to get Soulbeast and Druid it seems no-matter what deviation of spec I choose I just am literally destroyed by most classes. Sure I understand I am a noob again, but I am not a horrible player, just relearning.

I seem to be missing many damage sigils for pvp build causing Earthquakes when swapping weapons and such? I also notice Ranger seems to be the only class unable to use Fire Conditions? Even the Trap does so little fire damage its not worth even using, I cannot combo and variation of talents or weapons to cause fire damage...

Against Warriors, Guardians they literally just move in and start crushing me, I dodge and pop immunity, root, knockback but as soon as thats over I am usually at 20% hp and get deleted.Are rangers just bad now?

Ranger is heavy on poison and bleeds like thief is, build for those conditions and ull do great damage.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Shieldbash.5304 said:Good Morning,

Ranger is heavy on poison and bleeds like thief is, build for those conditions and ull do great damage.

I usually am #1 in damage but also #1 in deaths too! Sometimes I can get a comp that I can actually finish 16 kills 5 deaths, but then I am deleted by Warriors, Guardians and Revenants, Thiefs the next 5 matches.

Positioning is key to survival. I often play a zerker ele (12k hp with 1.8k armor), and I do just fine. Try to visualize the situation from the enemy team, and make sure there are never more than 1 person who's in a position to attack you. I suggest playing an easy spec for staying alive, like scrapper or heal warrior and just focuse on staying alive in some unranked games, until you figure out how to get someone to drop the chase, by placing them in a compromised position if they do chase. They may still chase you, but with the help of your team, you can burn them. Calling targets helps too.

Good luck, it takes practice. But I'm finding this to be one of the easiest metas to stay alive in. Very slow pace, which is nice.

So take you time, pick an easy profession to stay alive, and focus on positioning.

Without seeing a build, it's hard to say what's going wrong for you.

Ranger, if built correctly, is one of the hardest classes to kill. Alot of that survivability doesn't come from directly taking hits to the face and tanking through them, but rather from using mobility to mean you don't get hit in the first place, keeping them away from you with cripple/immob, or stopping them from attacking with CC.

You don't need to use burning in order to do damage, ranger has plenty of other sources of damage. If you're trying to use Torch and flame-trap, that's probably where you're going wrong, as neither of these are very good.

@"Ragnar.4257" said:Without seeing a build, it's hard to say what's going wrong for you.

Ranger, if built correctly, is one of the hardest classes to kill. Alot of that survivability doesn't come from directly taking hits to the face and tanking through them, but rather from using mobility to mean you don't get hit in the first place, keeping them away from you with cripple/immob, or stopping them from attacking with CC.

You don't need to use burning in order to do damage, ranger has plenty of other sources of damage. If you're trying to use Torch and flame-trap, that's probably where you're going wrong, as neither of these are very good.

This is pretty much what I am running. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwAMdflZwyYasQ2JO0PaL/Sk6cA-e

@Shieldbash.5304 said:

@"Ragnar.4257" said:Without seeing a build, it's hard to say what's going wrong for you.

This is pretty much what I am running.

I'm not a ranger main, so maybe someone else can add more, but some comments on this build:

• Longbow and Axe/Axe are both damage-focused ranged sets. I'd swap out one or the other for either greatsword or sword/dagger to give you some melee options and also some more defense.
  • Signets aren't great, most ranger builds take Survival skills (things like lightning reflexes)
  • Survival skills combine really well with the trait Wilderness Knowledge for condition cleanses
  • Wilderness Knowledge also works with the other traits Child of Earth and Zephyr Speed for even more cleanse
  • Troll Unguent, with the benefits of Wilderness Knowledge, is a much more powerful heal than We Heal As One, which is only really beneficial if you're playing a more bunkery Nature Magic build.
  • Smokescale is pretty much the best pet, you need a really good reason to not take it

So I'd recommend something more like: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMFlFw6YesQ2JO2Ppr1SOXaA-z5IeIZKF6VEUyCwxDA

And the way you'd want to play it is to try and stay at a safe distance as much as possible and let your bow and your pet do as much damage as possible. That doesn't just mean finding a place and standing still to pewpew, you need to be constantly moving, use the stealth from longbow #3 to relocate, etc. Then, if you get jumped up close, swap to greatsword, especially the block on #4 can really save you, and the leap on #3 to move out of harms way and then swap back to bow.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

@Ragnar.4257 said:Without seeing a build, it's hard to say what's going wrong for you.

I'm not a ranger main, so maybe someone else can add more, but some comments on this build:
  • Longbow and Axe/Axe are both damage-focused ranged sets. I'd swap out one or the other for either greatsword or sword/dagger to give you some melee options and also some more defense.
  • Signets aren't great, most ranger builds take Survival skills (things like lightning reflexes)
  • Survival skills combine really well with the trait Wilderness Knowledge for condition cleanses
  • Wilderness Knowledge also works with the other traits Child of Earth and Zephyr Speed for even more cleanse
  • Troll Unguent, with the benefits of Wilderness Knowledge, is a much more powerful heal than We Heal As One, which is only really beneficial if you're playing a more bunkery Nature Magic build.
  • Smokescale is pretty much the best pet, you need a really good reason to not take it

So I'd recommend something more like:

And the way you'd want to play it is to try and stay at a safe distance as much as possible and let your bow and your pet do as much damage as possible. That doesn't just mean finding a place and standing still to pewpew, you need to be constantly moving, use the stealth from longbow #3 to relocate, etc. Then, if you get jumped up close, swap to greatsword, especially the block on #4 can really save you, and the leap on #3 to move out of harms way and then swap back to bow.

Decent, thanks... I used to play LB GS way back, but I thought using the Axes during weapon swaps waiting on LB cds it would be great to add more Conditions and the Whirlwind helps me against Theives as it does damage and reflects damage they do to me.

I'll check out GS again and see how it feels

@Shieldbash.5304 said:

@Ragnar.4257 said:Without seeing a build, it's hard to say what's going wrong for you.

So I'd recommend something more like:

Decent, thanks... I used to play LB GS way back, but I thought using the Axes during weapon swaps waiting on LB cds it would be great to add more Conditions and the Whirlwind helps me against Theives as it does damage and reflects damage they do to me.

I'll check out GS again and see how it feels

This build he made is way better tho I would run in marksmanship from the last traits that in the middle.

Often use your pet swap and try not to engage a 2vs1, more to kite/escape 2vs1, Ranger is not in a great state but below p2 you should have no trouble