Impaired player, trying to choose a class

@"sutasafaia.4872" said:Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm currently playing the necro as most of you recommended (although I was enjoying the mesmer...kinda...it was awkward to play. Might have been better once I hit mirage but trying to get there just wasn't working for me). For tankiness on a core (for now) minion necro, would you recommend condi or power? I do plan to go reaper eventually I think? I'm trying to either get marauder or trailblazer sets, starting with dire or...something...for power. Not sure what. There is no power/prec/vit set I don't think? Definitely going to be doing blood/death. likely curses if condi or spite for power.

Mesmer is fun generally, but right now i wouldn't recommend it. It's nerfed too badly and most of its skills are bugged and unreliable, but even besides that, it's kind of a "piano playstyle" where you have to input tons of buttons for a mediocre combo. Mirage especially, it's very jumpy/teleporty and to actually do damage you need to push a lot of buttons. I'm not saying you can't do it, i'm just saying, maybe try it once they fix the class. Right now it's hard to play for anyone.

There's one cool build out there, staff mirage, you can try it, the person who made it shows him just facetanking champions and not being damaged.

Other than that, it's kinda complicated. Even the build i linked is pretty key-intensive compared to other classes.And don't do WvW with mirage, it sucks because they lose a dodge there.

As for necro - have you looked at some builds for it?https://metabattle.com/wiki/Necromancer

You can find the one you like, then adjust it to your preference.

Reaper.

Use Rise and Lich Form to generate lots of short lived minions that explode on their own thus nuking everything around you due to Death Nova, which also brings you more minions automatically.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSgAYFlFwYYTMF2JeqWrteA-zRIUTUxXKgxNlAdWBVECWNNOYGA-e

I was actually playing that few nights ago while clearing Field of Ruin.

• 5 weeks later...

I had been following this post with interest as I also have some physical issues which limit my vision rather severely. When I started GW2 (in beta), & at release, I created as my main a Norn Ranger. I had alot of fun with the character, but left the game for awhile although I continued to buy the expansions & log in for the LWS episodes.

I am actively enjoying GW2 again & have gotten all the mounts which are a blast to have, but after reading comments in the post "What is Your Opinion on the Icebrood Saga" page 2 about bearbow rangers, I am now worried about joining groups for metas & strikes. I have only done the strikes & DRMs as I had to to advance the story. No choice in that. I NEVER planned to try fractals or any "cutting edge" type of play as my vision would hurt the group. I had, however been having a wonderful time doing metas in Dragonfall, Bjora Marches, & other POF & LWS4 areas. The players are nice, the fights are fun, & I was just loving the game & the challenge.

The comments were regarding the opinion that any time a player is doing sub-optimal damage it turns out to be a Ranger. Ranger is what is recommended for people who require an easier class to play like the OP & like myself. Necro with minions was also recommended, and while I did create a minion Necro after reading the Icebrood opinion posts, my ranger has so much map done that I want to finish the LWS3 & HOT stories on that character before I start over on the Necro.

No one has made me feel embarassed to have joined any meta, & some amazing players have helped me cheerfully with some things I could not do alone due to vision issues (like the Skyscale collection Jumping Puzzle that was so very high up on tilted pillars I simply could not see well enough to get to the top.). Should I avoid metas & strikes & DRMs so as not to hinder others? Maybe there is a better build I could try on my Ranger. Currently I am using Longbow/Greatsword which has gotten me through all the LW, Personal, & expansion stories with minimal difficulty. I do not want to be THAT player that ruins the fun for someone else because I have trouble seeing. Sometimes, players who are not as good are not being lazy, but rather physically impaired in some way & doing the best they can :)

Thank you for any advice. As a general rule, I have found other players in this game to be polite, kind, helpful, & alot of fun. Thank you for that as well!

@Crunchbone.7341 said:Should I avoid metas & strikes & DRMs so as not to hinder others?

Metas and DRMs never. these are for everyone.Strikes, maybe Whispers of Jormag and Boneskinner. For others don't worry. Even if you die, it happens, no one will really care there. Whispers is just a lot of stuff going on for the last quarter of the fight, Boneskinner doesn't really have much mechanics but reactions need to be fast. Still, try them and see how it goes.As for Ranger jokes. Don't fret about it at all. It's actually a joke in all games. It's a popular class in all games and many people play it and people don't like to get sniped from afar and there is just so much Legolas people can stomach. Ranger is a top class and can deal top dps and that is all. There is just one massive tip you should follow in strikes or similar group activities (not metas they are just chaos): stand in the stack. Even if you can shoot from 1200 range you should stay with your squad in melee range or close to them. You will get and share boons and heals and they can easily ress you if you get downed.