Better previews? - [Merged]

So, if i want to preview a staff or greatsword skin in the gem store, i'm basically guessing what i'm buying right?I mean, just look at this:

k6KbB4P.jpg

Yeah, i totally know how that staff looks now. Greatswords are worse, most characters hold them sideways and you can never preview how the sword looks. Also, some skins have animations that you can't see due to them being cut out.Anet does sell this stuff for real money lol, isn't there any way to make the preview window zoom out a little or something to show the entire skin when wielded? How are people going to know what they're getting if they can't preview it fully? So you're just guessing what you're buying and that's not a good thing.

And i don't buy the usual "i'd rather they work on X content" excuse, this should be a one afternoon job to fix, i don't think it's that hard to at least adjust the preview window, is it?What do you think? I also don't think it's a priority or anything, but such small details are kind of important, and since i don't believe this requires a whole team to work on it for months, i'm not sure why this hasn't been adressed before.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we don't know how hard it would be to fix or how much development resources would be required to address it. It could be a lot more than we expect since much of GW2 is built on the old, spaghetti code.

I agree, though, that a better preview for items like this would be appreciated. The regular preview panel (outside of the BLTC) has three view options. It would be helpful if that window opened from the BLTC preview button.

The preview window could definitely be far better than it is. The normal one letting you preview weapons and armour stowed, wielded or the weapon on it's own is marginally more helpful, but it's still not great.

I think the priority should be to add the ability to zoom in and out and rotate in 3 dimensions instead of just spinning around (this is actually possible for mounts, which is good because otherwise it would be impossible to preview skimmers in any meaningful way). But ideally they could also add things like a lighting toggle, the ability to see how things look while you're walking/running, using different attacks etc. and make sure all the animations and effects will show in the window. The ability to apply dyes to individual slots and from the dye menu instead of having to search for them on the trading post would also be a vast improvement.

I agree, we don't know, but i don't think it would be that hard to implement this. I mean, the groundwork is there, just you know, take another step. :tongue:But if nothing else, then it would indeed be helpful if we could preview just the weapon like on the normal preview window.Or just a zoom feature so i can see the entire weapon. We can already rotate the character, if that's implemented i'm sure that the tools to implement zooom are there as well. And indeed, it's there for mounts! So it's possible and it's in the game coded already. So... The "difficulty" of implementing this seems smaller and smaller with each argument lol. :tongue:

Don't preview gem store items on Norn or Charr, weapons look fine on all other races as they properly fit the preview window. While waiting for a fix you can preview anything you want from the wardrobe, that's what I do. And it looks correct on all races. Although you must remember the names because in the wardrobe you see everything, not only the items on offer. It's annoying, but it works. For a game that is focused on gem store sales to survive and evolve, not having a proper preview option for gem store items makes no sense.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Don't preview gem store items on Norn or Charr, weapons look fine on all other races as they properly fit the preview window. While waiting for a fix you can preview anything you want from the wardrobe, that's what I do. And it looks correct on all races. Although you must remember the names because in the wardrobe you see everything, not only the items on offer. It's annoying, but it works. For a game that is focused on gem store sales to survive and evolve, not having a proper preview option for gem store items makes no sense.

Yes but, all i have are Norn and Charr characters. :tongue:And i know about the wardrobe, that's not the issue, it's about the "user experience"... I know i can go to the wardrobe on a human character and preview the skins and i know i can go to the wiki to see how they look there. But 1 - i don't have human characters, just charr and norn, and 2 - wiki doesn't preview how animations look if the skin has them.

So it might be niche, i understand that, but like you said - they're selling skins but we have to jump through hoops to preview them properly? Makes no sense, if you're selling something for real money, customers should see exactly what they're getting. And it can be done, they did it with mount previews, full 3D rotation, they all fit inside the screen more or less... Shouldn't be that much of a problem to adjust the store previews based on that. It's not like that's some big project that would take away their time working on balance and content lol, it's just a minor detail that happens to be kinda important to people, and to Anet if they want sales.

@Veprovina.4876 said:It's not like that's some big project that would take away their time working on balance and content lol, it's just a minor detail that happens to be kinda important to people, and to Anet if they want sales.No one knows how little or big of an effort such a thing would entail. Sure, it seems minor to you (and many of us, I'm sure) but we already know that the code is built on old, convoluted code which can have unintended consequences when changed. Figuring out what might break when making a change in code like this can be a very big task.

As to the second point, I'm pretty confident that if this change would significantly increase sales over the resources that would be needed to make the change, then Anet would have done so. It's always about the money. :)

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:It's not like that's some big project that would take away their time working on balance and content lol, it's just a minor detail that happens to be kinda important to people, and to Anet if they want sales.No one knows how little or big of an effort such a thing would entail. Sure, it seems minor to you (and many of us, I'm sure) but we already know that the code is built on old, convoluted code which can have unintended consequences when changed. Figuring out what might break when making a change in code like this can be a very big task.

As to the second point, I'm pretty confident that if this change would significantly increase sales over the resources that would be needed to make the change, then Anet would have done so. It's always about the money. :)

Yeah, i know we don't know, but idk, youtube a bunch of coders or whatever, and they program whole AI's in a day and stuff, i don't think a simple UI change will require that much work to be honest... But you're right, who knows what they did to their code, maybe Anet totally messed it up and now can't change it lol.

But you don't think being able to see a whole weapon wouldn't increase sales? I think it would, a lot. I mean, greatswords would probably sell double if people could actually see them. :tongue:

I don't know, obviously none of us can comment on how hard that would be to change, but honestly, defending a simple UI change as something that "requires resources" and needs balancing in time spent vs money gained is just ridiculous. Most programmers can do that in an afternoon. Like, just resize the window so there's more space around the character. Doesn't need to be fancy.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Well, the Devs have stated numerous times that UI work/changes are the most difficult of all. /shrug

Regardless, good luck on the QoL suggestion.

Really? Wow, that code must be really messed up if the UI is the most difficult thing lol.Oh well. Thanks for your input! :smile:Hopefully they figure somthing out someday to make all the small QoL changes happen.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:an option to remove armor (like in the make-over shop) would fix this, able to zoom a bit further out could be a small change that helps tons.

or just starting with a larger window

the preview window isn't even large enough for some daggers

or play the game on a higher resolution than 800X600, i can see everything just fine on my 2715x1527 resolution.

@sorudo.9054 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:an option to remove armor (like in the make-over shop) would fix this, able to zoom a bit further out could be a small change that helps tons.

or play the game on a higher resolution than 800X600, i can see everything just fine on my 2715x1527 resolution.

I play on 1440p and i can't see most weapons fully when in the shop preview.So, how exactly are you seeing them fully? Is there a trick or something?

@LuRkEr.9462 said:Get the chat link tag from the wiki. Paste it in chat and then you can preview it weapon only or whatever. Works better than the menu.

I know that, but that requires alt tabbing out of the game. Doesn't really look good for the company when players have to jump through hoops just to preview skin, and it's even worse when that skin is a premium currency skin you have to pay for with real money. Plus, you run into the same issues as the store preview if you want to see your character weilding the weapon. Idk, it just seems unprofessional that's all...

@sorudo.9054 said:

The size of the preview and TP windows are unaffected by resolution so that is a very stupid comment.