The toxicity is crazy

Crackers.9628

@Touchme.1097 said:I think ArenaNet should bring back Dhuum ban and apply penalties to unsportsmanlike conduct in PvP modes and WvW. This kind of conduct prevents other players' enjoyment of the game and should be discouraged. In addition good conduct needs to be reinforced and better rewarded in order to train players to avoid toxicity.

Yes because we are what? Dogs? Cmon now.

Dhuum bans? Yes for hacking.

‘Unsportsmanlike behavior’? Really?

@"Galmac.4680" said:If annoyed I reply with fun facts until my opponent gives up. That means I quote random facts like:

1. Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
  2. No number from 1 to 999 includes the letter “a” in its word form.
  3. Edgar Allan Poe married his thirteen-year-old cousin.
  4. Jupiter is twice as large as all the other planets combined.
  5. The Super Soaker was designed and invented by a NASA engineer.
  6. Flamingos can only eat with their heads upside down.
  7. Salt used to be a currency.
  8. Alaska is the only state whose name is on one row on a keyboard.
  9. There are only four words in the English language which end in “dous”: tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.
  10. There are 32 muscles in a cat’s ear.
  11. ...

So, did you know that a "Poronkusema" is the distance a rendeer can walk without peeing? It is about 7.5km.

Don't forget one of my favorites:Using English spelling there is only one number that has the same number of letters as the number it represents and that is 'four'.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:Poor luck, I'd say. I find WvW is generally low toxicity, as far as competitive games go.

A couple of nights ago I fought a condi core engi that did a pretty good job with a not so great build. So I whispered him just to tell him respect on the build. He was totally polite, despite me ganking him in the middle of a fight he was holding his own in. He gets it. Just helping the team. No need for salt.I might enjoy WvW if I had experiences like this. Instead, almost all of my experiences have been the polar opposite.

@"Touchme.1097" said:I think ArenaNet should bring back Dhuum ban and apply penalties to unsportsmanlike conduct in PvP modes and WvW. This kind of conduct prevents other players' enjoyment of the game and should be discouraged. In addition good conduct needs to be reinforced and better rewarded in order to train players to avoid toxicity.

Given the nature of most of the complaints I see regarding toxicity, this might hurt more than it helps. It's almost always the same story: "I was just minding my business all innocent-like. This other guy comes up and breaks a rule that is only a rule in my head. The disrespect!" A sequence of events usually follows where the "victim" signals their intention to pursue a personal conflict (which is justified by the fact that you are a rule-breaker - You started it!). Being in the right from the outset, everything you now do in retaliation to the victim is added to the list of your transgressions.

Meanwhile, those of us who play under the Red Rule just shrug when we're fighting a 1v1 and 5 enemy players focus us down and then celebrate with a jumping and siege-tossing party over our corpses. We never bother to take that step to make it personal simply because of some perceived breach of etiquette.

If you give people vague rules like "Play nice!" all you do is feed the problem because everybody is going to draw their own line in the sand with regard to what constitutes a breach of etiquette. It increases toxicity because the hall monitors among us will actively seek out ways to punish perceived infractions, thereby inviting unnecessary conflict.

Isn't it enough to just use the report/block features for people who take it too far and just grow a thicker skin for the small stuff?

@Crackers.9628 said:I was roaming as thief. Some thief killed me and started jumping and dropped siege on me. Naturally I went back and killed him this time, only for someone on my own server to start trash talking me, calling me kitten, noob, he will transfer to farm me, etc. He has in the same guild as the thief I killed.

The thief came back, and because my server mate stood on me, the thief could track my stealth and killed me. Then of course more trash talk and dropping siege.

Of course the toxicity is rampant from other servers, but how are people so awful they literally grief their own teammates? Actively helping enemy server kill your own server.

Remove stealth. Problem solved. You're welcome.

Gief moneyz, top tier game design.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:Poor luck, I'd say. I find WvW is generally low toxicity, as far as competitive games go.

A couple of nights ago I fought a condi core engi that did a pretty good job with a not so great build. So I whispered him just to tell him respect on the build. He was totally polite, despite me ganking him in the middle of a fight he was holding his own in. He gets it. Just helping the team. No need for salt.I might enjoy WvW if I had experiences like this. Instead, almost all of my experiences have been the polar opposite.

Well, you may also note I initiated this love-fest. I am under no illusions that most other players I meet have the same mindset. However, people tend to give back what they get from you. Most of the time, ignoring the salt, the taunting, the trash talk and surprising them by being polite will turn most situations around. For the rest? So what? I can block if you're truly obnoxious, but it almost never comes to that for me.

@Threather.9354 said:Its just how the game is managed. When you promote illogical system with terrible competitive balancing, you end up with only emotional people around. Fix linking system, claim buff, siege balance etc. Not hard.

^^^This

Which is why it's very important to have a stable road map to keep this game mode going in the right direction.

I want competitive tournaments that are healthy to participate in.

It's not easy to accomplish, but it's totally possible...imho

Credibility requires critical insight & time.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"Touchme.1097" said:I think ArenaNet should bring back Dhuum ban and apply penalties to unsportsmanlike conduct in PvP modes and WvW. This kind of conduct prevents other players' enjoyment of the game and should be discouraged. In addition good conduct needs to be reinforced and better rewarded in order to train players to avoid toxicity.

Given the nature of most of the complaints I see regarding toxicity, this might hurt more than it helps. It's almost always the same story: "I was just minding my business all innocent-like. This other guy comes up and breaks a rule that is only a rule in my head. The disrespect!" A sequence of events usually follows where the "victim" signals their intention to pursue a personal conflict (which is justified by the fact that you are a rule-breaker - You started it!). Being in the right from the outset, everything you now do in retaliation to the victim is added to the list of your transgressions.

Meanwhile, those of us who play under the Red Rule just shrug when we're fighting a 1v1 and 5 enemy players focus us down and then celebrate with a jumping and siege-tossing party over our corpses. We never bother to take that step to make it personal simply because of some perceived breach of etiquette.

If you give people vague rules like "Play nice!" all you do is feed the problem because everybody is going to draw their own line in the sand with regard to what constitutes a breach of etiquette. It increases toxicity because the hall monitors among us will actively seek out ways to punish perceived infractions, thereby inviting unnecessary conflict.

Isn't it enough to just use the report/block features for people who take it too far and just grow a thicker skin for the small stuff?

Actually, excess of celebration in a real life situation is considered an offense and unsportsmanlike, you are just making an hyperbolic fallacy in order to make your point look valid but it's just an exaggeration of what would happen.

@Touchme.1097 said:

@Touchme.1097 said:I think ArenaNet should bring back Dhuum ban and apply penalties to unsportsmanlike conduct in PvP modes and WvW. This kind of conduct prevents other players' enjoyment of the game and should be discouraged. In addition good conduct needs to be reinforced and better rewarded in order to train players to avoid toxicity.

Actually, excess of celebration in a real life situation is considered an offense and unsportsmanlike, you are just making an hyperbolic fallacy in order to make your point look valid but it's just an exaggeration of what would happen.

No. You're wrong, Colonel Sanders. Mama's right.

What the kitten is this, ban for misconducts? Reward and re-educate players for "good" behaviours? Let Anet dictate us and turn this game into some sort of a virtual CCP China?I swear suggestions in this kitten forum gets even more ridiculous as time goes.Unless you are new to internet, just grow some thicker skin, block and move on.

@Crackers.9628 said:I was roaming as thief. Some thief killed me and started jumping and dropped siege on me. Naturally I went back and killed him this time, only for someone on my own server to start trash talking me, calling me kitten, noob, he will transfer to farm me, etc. He has in the same guild as the thief I killed.

The thief came back, and because my server mate stood on me, the thief could track my stealth and killed me. Then of course more trash talk and dropping siege.

Of course the toxicity is rampant from other servers, but how are people so awful they literally grief their own teammates? Actively helping enemy server kill your own server.

Report both of them. Pretty sure this is against the rules. Really sounds like they're mad you bested them. Think of it this way: this person was so bad, they needed someone else's help to deal with you.

Also I 100% guarantee that other person was on a throw-away account. They're there to spy on the other team. They wouldn't transfer because they'll lose that. For all you know, they could both be the same person.

@Threather.9354 said:Its just how the game is managed. When you promote illogical system with terrible competitive balancing, you end up with only emotional people around. Fix linking system, claim buff, siege balance etc. Not hard.

Theoretically those people could just transfer to a different server + the best rewards are mostly participation based, and if you're outnumbered, you get a leg up on everyone as far as those rewards are concerned, outnumbered >>> being best server, though the buff is very capricious.

There's literally no reason to be toxic. Don't justify bad behavior, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Only 2 of the many available pips/tick come from being top server. you can get up to 10 just for being high rank (3 base + 7 max rank).

The thing isnt just toxicity (toxic people are everywhere, in real life and in videogames). Its about your attitude towards it. In gw2, block, report or dont report and move on with life. Keep having fun. Toxic people thrive when they get on your nerves. If you dont give them the pleasure, they will get bored easily and leave you alone. At least thats what i do.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

@"Threather.9354" said:Its just how the game is managed. When you promote illogical system with terrible competitive balancing, you end up with only emotional people around. Fix linking system, claim buff, siege balance etc. Not hard.

Theoretically those people could just transfer to a different server + the best rewards are mostly participation based, and if you're outnumbered, you get a leg up on everyone as far as those rewards are concerned, outnumbered >>> being best server, though the buff is very capricious.

There's literally no reason to be toxic. Don't justify bad behavior, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Only 2 of the many available pips/tick come from being top server. you can get up to 10 just for being high rank (3 base + 7 max rank).

Issue is that if you remove 9 of the 10 reasons to play the game that are not being toxic, the distribution of toxic people will be more. There are no competitive guilds anymore due to objective balancing and minstrel meta, there are no competitive duelers anymore due to hypermobility and claim buffs and there are no dedicated server communities anymore because relinkings. There are no real blobfights anymore because objectives are too strong statwise instead of requiring brain and time to take, only some open field 1 push fiestas where 1 commander feeds another losing every fight out of 20. There are no scout guilds anymore because siege is useless (shield gens) and defending is completely number reliant.

There is a reason why there is big lack of commanders and guilds, and it is that the game just isn't interactive or fair anymore. Which is due to bad balancing.

Overall there is no excuse to be toxic but it is the main reason why people play the game these days. Look at the "fighting" communities, they're full of people who talk openly bad about everyone who isn't part of them like they're 13 year olds. There used to be mature communities and commanders but they just don't exist because the gamemode isn't fair or competitive anymore, just a cashcow for a company.

@"Crackers.9628"

What I got from this situation was another example of how guild ties run deeper than server ties. This situation was probably not one of the more proper ways of exemplifying that. However, this situation helps represent a cluster of other various situations, over the years, as to why I do not immediately consider server mates "teammates," as you stated. Besides that, be toxic back, ignore, block, etc. whatever. I don't care as much as I am sure the next guy/gal here doesn't. This is your situation to deal with, along with being in charge of your own emotions. The best advice I can give is that you will likely find more value in the teammates you choose. As opposed to those provided to you naturally/rotated around through transfers. Goodluck.

@Cynz.9437 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:
CDXh9rT.jpg

Because they are.

Ranger and thieves. They just attract a kind of people.

Please talk for yourself. I never trashtalk people nor tbag them yet i have been trashtalked countless times as a thief and even reported for simply existing or (OMG HOW DARE I) when running away from outnumbered situation. Funny enough when i play other classes nobody does it to me however i get to see how extremely toxic the squads are to the thieves that join them or just pass by, even if those thieves actually try to help and work as recon. Toxic people will be always toxic, no matter what class they play.I have been playing this game pretty much since launch, surely it is common for pvp similar environment to be toxic BUT WvW community in this game actually got worse over the years. In vanilla people worked together despite the class. Now people just trashtalk (for the lack of better pc word) anyone who doesn't fit their agenda (aka play zerg meta). It feels like it has become some kind of sport - who can trashtalk a thief more. You guys seriously should look at yourself before you just label every thief player as toxic waste.

I literally only play thief

@Threather.9354 said:

Issue is that if you remove 9 of the 10 reasons to play the game that are not being toxic, the distribution of toxic people will be more. There are no competitive guilds anymore due to objective balancing and minstrel meta, there are no competitive duelers anymore due to hypermobility and claim buffs and there are no dedicated server communities anymore because relinkings. There are no real blobfights anymore because objectives are too strong statwise instead of requiring brain and time to take, only some open field 1 push fiestas where 1 commander feeds another losing every fight out of 20. There are no scout guilds anymore because siege is useless (shield gens) and defending is completely number reliant.

There is a reason why there is big lack of commanders and guilds, and it is that the game just isn't interactive or fair anymore. Which is due to bad balancing.

Overall there is no excuse to be toxic but it is the main reason why people play the game these days. Look at the "fighting" communities, they're full of people who talk openly bad about everyone who isn't part of them like they're 13 year olds. There used to be mature communities and commanders but they just don't exist because the gamemode isn't fair or competitive anymore, just a cashcow for a company.

I still think you're trying too hard to justify bad behavior by adding rhyme and reason. Those aren't real reasons. There are toxic people they will always be there, no matter the game, especially in competitive environments.

Well as experienced wvw scrapper roamer that can 1vs2-3 or defend gari solo vs 15ppl (i'm pvp rank 1554 solo)

i'm geting that messages often (i was on gandara server)but i don't mind them, i can even say witchout them game wuld not be the same and kinda feel hollow

All that emotional response making fights with enemy more fun and with more motivation ^^

i'm against any cenzurship but in same time i understend that not evryone is titlproof or have a mindset of monk

And for that ppl ther are 3 options :

1. Go offline mode, making that no one reply to you
  2. Block ppl
  3. off team/map chat if you roam or play solo/with friends

eh, throwing siege isn't toxic in the end. pretty kitten tbh. but, well, i'd also rather not do it in most cases, bc i don't even carry siege with me. i'd have to pop a skrimish chest for that, absolutely not worth. technically, i would do it to block their sight tho.

also, this kinda stuff isn't "sportsmanship"... it'd be if someone ragespams you, but still... sometimes emotions get boiling, sometimes one had a bad day... that isn't banworth, not even sanction-worthy.

@"AliamRationem.5172" lmfao, some old player on our server has even one char named "What Is Red Is Dead" or similar. since we been mostly green for my first year, i didn't even think that this refers just to this very simply, basic principe of the gamemode.

@Junkpile.7439 that'd just attract superannoying trolls to become more frequent. please no...

I will admit I block, compose a message, then unblock an opposing player.

Difference is I never have sent a toxic email. It’s always “That was an epic fight! I appreciate you and the fun. May my bag have dropped ascended mats. Have an awesome day”

An 99% of the time we become friends. I have even asked what am I doing wrong because I should be able to counter. And again I end up becoming friends. That’s how to be non toxic. ?