Griffon or Skyscale?

@sitarskee.5738 said:

@"javier.9786" said:I think the real question is "what do you want the mount for?"

Well, to help me get around, farm bloodstone fen and other glider hravy areas, and to fly around in general. :)

Both would be good but skyscale slightly better of course. Griffon takes less time to complete though. Eventually you'd want both of those mounts so I think it doesn't matter which one you do first.

Personally I'd do griffon and then work on your collections for skyscale. You will need some LS4 currency so if you haven't got it saved up it will take you some time. Not sure how much it takes now since I did it on release pre-nerf.

Pre nerf? It's easier to get Skyscale now?

And yeah, i'll get the Griffon too eventually. Maybe even in the meantime, and then just buy the 25g components as i make gold. Don't want to spend all 250g at once. So i might get griffon sooner than expected. Or at least most of the way as i work on Skyscale.

Got my Roller beetle today though! Fun mount! :smile:I'm currently at Jahai Bluffs part of the story, just started. So yeah, it'll be a while.

Definitely Skyscale. Griffon is only superior if you are standing somewhere very high and have to fly very far quick due to the dive. Other than that Skyscale is better..1) You can hover somewhere in the air, outside of enemy range if you need to go afk real quick2) You can get a lot higher, a lot easier3) Apart from dive speed boosting the griffon, the skyscale is faster (it has a dash as skill btw)4) It's cheaper (goldwise) but time gated and you are forced to have LS4 map currencies

Honestly I'm almost never using my griffon since I have my skyscale. Only if I'm reaaally high up and want to take a dive but then it's mostly for fun. Skyscale also works better with autorun.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Pre nerf? It's easier to get Skyscale now?iirc there was a significant time-gate that was reduced.

Oh nice! Then i'll get mine that much quicker!Not that i'm in a hurry anyway. :tongue:

But i have a full stack of diflourite crystals from WvW, so that's one time gate down. :smile:The rest of the time gates are raising it and other map currency right?

Anyway, this is exciting, for the longest time i had nothing to work toward except WvW legendaries which are the worst time gate so they're not happening in at least 6 more months (though i made 2 of them), so in the meantime, i decided to unlock my mounts. :smile:That got me to LS4 story and maps and i have to say - i'm impressed! I LOVE the story and the instances and the maps! Much better than LW3 which was "meh" at times. I'm having much more fun in LS4 maps than i did LW3, though LW3 was super useful to gear my main with trinkets. I also plan on doing the siren's landing some more for the butterfly backpack. Very Mesmer-y so i have to have it haha. But other than that, i'm in the desert most of my time now and it's fun!

@DoomNexus.5324 said:Definitely Skyscale. Griffon is only superior if you are standing somewhere very high and have to fly very far quick due to the dive. Other than that Skyscale is better..1) You can hover somewhere in the air, outside of enemy range if you need to go afk real quick2) You can get a lot higher, a lot easier3) Apart from dive speed boosting the griffon, the skyscale is faster (it has a dash as skill btw)4) It's cheaper (goldwise) but time gated and you are forced to have LS4 map currencies

Honestly I'm almost never using my griffon since I have my skyscale. Only if I'm reaaally high up and want to take a dive but then it's mostly for fun. Skyscale also works better with autorun.

Well, i want to do some griffon flying some time, just for fun, but i understand that's not very useful for getting around. So i'll focus on Skyscale first, then do Griffon when i can, or when i wait for Skyscale timegates or something.

I barely render those slow poke Skyscales when I swoop past them on my Griffon.

IMO, If you haven't played LS4 yet, go for Griffon and optionally also Beetle first. You have a long way to Skyscale and those will be a big help on the way. Griffon is easy if you have the gold. Especially in Dragonfall you will be grateful for that Griffon. How are you with Hot masteries? I don't know how you traverse that map without both.

Skyscale is the best all-around mount and is great if you predominantly use 1 mount. If you have all the mounts bound to keys and are used to constantly switching between them you will use it much less. For short-medium distances over flat terrain and closed quarters, raptor or jackal. For long distances, beetle or griffon. For engages, bunny or raptor. For vertical climbing and rough terrain, Skyscale. Skyscale just obsolete bunny in that department, it can gain bigger height and is much more precise. It's also nice because you can hover and chill in hostile territory. It's also an annoying mount because you flap those ugly wings across half of the peoples' screen and they can't see anything.Beetle and Griffon are also way cooler and races could be a game on it's own.

@Cuks.8241 said:I barely render those slow poke Skyscales when I swoop past them on my Griffon.

IMO, If you haven't played LS4 yet, go for Griffon and optionally also Beetle first. You have a long way to Skyscale and those will be a big help on the way. Griffon is easy if you have the gold. Especially in Dragonfall you will be grateful for that Griffon. How are you with Hot masteries? I don't know how you traverse that map without both.

Skyscale is the best all-around mount and is great if you predominantly use 1 mount. If you have all the mounts bound to keys and are used to constantly switching between them you will use it much less. For short-medium distances over flat terrain and closed quarters, raptor or jackal. For long distances, beetle or griffon. For engages, bunny or raptor. For vertical climbing and rough terrain, Skyscale. Skyscale just obsolete bunny in that department, it can gain bigger height and is much more precise. It's also nice because you can hover and chill in hostile territory. It's also an annoying mount because you flap those ugly wings across half of the peoples' screen and they can't see anything.Beetle and Griffon are also way cooler and races could be a game on it's own.

Thanks for your input! :smile:

Like i said, i'm in no hurry and i might unlock Griffon way before i collect all the stuff for Skyscale. Cause i know it's mostly just collecting stuff and some bounties or whatever....

Why do HoT masteries matter though? You mentioned them, they aren't related to the question, are they?I mean, i have most of HoT masteries, Glider fully unlocked, and just 4 masteries missing. Can't be bothered to do mastery points right now but they're all trained.In PoF, i unlocked Beetle today, but other than that, and the missing mount masteries, i have all of them (minus the diving skimmer one which is not a priority right now).So i'm good when it comes to mastery unlocks, mastery rank 192. The most important ones are unlocked, the rest is just flavour.

So, i'm making like, 10g a day from fractals, plus, other sources, so, getting Griffon is just a matter of time really. I could probably unlock it right now if i wanted, but i don't want to drop below a certain gold amount so that's just me. But i have the gold for it, that's not the issue.

And i'm in Jahai Bluffs now, so Skyscale won't even be started for another few days at least. And when i do start it, the time gates will give me time to work on the Griffon masteries. So, depending on my willingness to spend gold on it at once, i might actually unlock it before Skyscale after all. :tongue:

@Veprovina.4876 said:Why do HoT masteries matter though? You mentioned them, they aren't related to the question, are they?

Last LS4 map Dragonfall is a very vertical map. Griffon is very helpful there if you don't have Skyscale. There is of course just basic gliding but that you have. There are also ley lines you can glide on (ley line gliding mastery) and oakhearth essences (oakhearth's reach mastery). These are far from essential, more just for flavour but can be helpful if you don't have Skyscale or Griffon especially during the meta.

@Cuks.8241 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Why do HoT masteries matter though? You mentioned them, they aren't related to the question, are they?

Last LS4 map Dragonfall is a very vertical map. Griffon is very helpful there if you don't have Skyscale. There is of course just basic gliding but that you have. There are also ley lines you can glide on (ley line gliding mastery) and oakhearth essences (oakhearth's reach mastery). These are far from essential, more just for flavour but can be helpful if you don't have Skyscale or Griffon especially during the meta.

Thanks! I have ley line gliding and Oakheart trained already. So i'll make do with that til i get a flying mount. :smile:That's how i farm Bloodstone Fen. That 3rd waypoint, i can't glide directly like it's showed on TacO so i use updrafts and leylines to "correct" my trajectory. :smile:Of course, having a griffin or skyscale would make that trivial so i aim to get those to just make my traversing a bit easier and faster. Would cut my farming time in half there.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:I prefer the griffon over the skyscale almost anytime. It is quick and the most versatile. It can quickly hop on obstacles and hills and glide from point to point.

Yeah, but with the masteries right? Cause i already flew it a bunch of times when doing eggs collection for the mount, and without any masteries, it's just a glorified glider that can go farther and it loses altitude way more than i expected.

But the way things are going, i'll have the Griffon way before i get the Skyscale lol, Griffon masteries are basically, go here, do thing, pickup egg and they're easy, it's just the gold cost that's pulling me back, and not because i don't have it, but because i don't want to spend it all at once so it's just me. If i was willing to spend 250 gold now, i'd have the griffon by tomorrow lol.

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:Well, if you call a glorified glider a glider that can jump run and glide -- yes.And this ignores the advanced diving manoeuvres that are possible with griff as well.

Yes i was talking about an unmastered griffin. Of course you can do nice things with it mastered but the unmastered griffin just glides farther and faster than a glider.Yes it can flap the wings, but that's just basically to prolong the glide. I mean, it's still useful because you can reach farther but it's not "250 gold useful" until you master it i think. Oh, and on land it's not really usefull anyway, there's other land mounts. Raptor for leaps and beetle for just speed.

Anyway... Is Skyscale the same? Or can it kinda go in a straight line once you're up in the air? Or does it lose altitude fast like the griffon does? Asking about the unmastered Skyscale.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:Well, if you call a glorified glider a glider that can jump run and glide -- yes.And this ignores the advanced diving manoeuvres that are possible with griff as well.

Yes i was talking about an unmastered griffin. Of course you can do nice things with it mastered but the unmastered griffin just glides farther and faster than a glider.Yes it can flap the wings, but that's just basically to prolong the glide. I mean, it's still useful because you can reach farther but it's not "250 gold useful" until you master it i think. Oh, and on land it's not really usefull anyway, there's other land mounts. Raptor for leaps and beetle for just speed.

Anyway... Is Skyscale the same? Or can it kinda go in a straight line once you're up in the air? Or does it lose altitude fast like the griffon does? Asking about the unmastered Skyscale.

They're different. Skyscale is a bit slower to get on top of things but each has it's unique features. Sometimes skyscale is wonderful because it can grab to cliffs to give you an extra push up. You cannot go wrong with either of them.

The big advantage of the skyscale is that there are quite some puzzles and open world achievements that requires you to use a skyscale.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:Well, if you call a glorified glider a glider that can jump run and glide -- yes.And this ignores the advanced diving manoeuvres that are possible with griff as well.

They're different. Skyscale is a bit slower to get on top of things but each has it's unique features. Sometimes skyscale is wonderful because it can grab to cliffs to give you an extra push up. You cannot go wrong with either of them.

The big advantage of the skyscale is that there are quite some puzzles and open world achievements that requires you to use a skyscale.

Cool! Thanks! :smile:And yeah, i'll get them both eventually, i know there's some stuff you can only reach with either a Griffon or a Skyscale.

I'm at chapter 5 now so it won't be long before i start the Skyscale.I did some Griffon collections as well in the meantime.

UPDATE:

So it indeed turned out that i'll be able to unlock the Griffin way before i unlock Skyscale. :smile:I did all the Griffin collections except the gold purchases. So provided i'im willing to drop 250 gold on it, i could have it right now.

Skyscale is in the "Raising Skyscale" phase. I fed it 2 times, now i have to wait for another daily reset til i can feed it again and proceed to the next part. Already did the toys and treats. It was kinda funny throwing all the treats on him at once lol! If they did a time gate for the feeding, they might as well do the timegate for the treats, but i understand why they did that.

Anyway... Yeah...

The answer to the original thread question - Griffon or Skyscale - is YES! :tongue:

@Tiilimon.6094 said:Saddle is the grindy part ;)

I also suggest getting griff asap, there's as much point sitting on a pile of gold in MMOs as there is on sitting on a pile of resources in an RTS game, better put em to good use and make more quicker :P

I guess... That's what i'm trying to tell myself hahaha, but idk, i was never good at making gold so i'm afraid that if i drop below this, i'm never getting it back hahahah!

Call me paranoid. :tongue:

But yeah, a griffon would come in handy if nothing else, in Dragonfall so i can fly around following the group, they all, especially commanders, just fly up on their griffons and skyscales and just leave the rest of us plebs behind, it's kind of annoying. And i need to farm that map for its currency for Skyscale.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

I also suggest getting griff asap, there's as much point sitting on a pile of gold in MMOs as there is on sitting on a pile of resources in an RTS game, better put em to good use and make more quicker :P

I guess... That's what i'm trying to tell myself hahaha, but idk, i was never good at making gold so i'm afraid that if i drop below this, i'm never getting it back hahahah!

But yeah, a griffon would come in handy if nothing else, in Dragonfall so i can fly around following the group, they all, especially commanders, just fly up on their griffons and skyscales and just leave the rest of us plebs behind, it's kind of annoying. And i need to farm that map for its currency for Skyscale.

You are really going to love the griffon in Drizzlewood. That's how we get to the champs so quick - all the parachute drops are perfect for the griffon.

@Hesione.9412 said:

You are really going to love the griffon in Drizzlewood. That's how we get to the champs so quick - all the parachute drops are perfect for the griffon.

Nice! I don't have all the Icebrood saga episodes though, so i'll wait til i buy the missing ones before i continue that story. I'll probably be late to the party, but whatever, i'm sure the maps will be played enough. Even PoF was sufficiently populated so i could do the griffon events more or less easily, and that content is now really old.

Both Mounts have their usefulness. Skyscale is better for long distance 'Gliding' and can get more altitude by clinging to a surface and jumping, whereas the Griffon can dive for speed and reclimb to get altitude again.

Skyscale really is more general purpose and useful, but if speed really is needed then the Griffon works best. That and Griffon Diving for speed leads to some really fun flying.

Consider Skyscale your 'legendary' mount and your Griffon as your 'ascended' mount (I'd throw the roller beetle in there as well as an ascended mount for how quick it is on land).

All things considered each mount has its usefulness where they shine, and you should get all of them eventually.

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:Both Mounts have their usefulness. Skyscale is better for long distance 'Gliding' and can get more altitude by clinging to a surface and jumping, whereas the Griffon can dive for speed and reclimb to get altitude again.

Skyscale really is more general purpose and useful, but if speed really is needed then the Griffon works best. That and Griffon Diving for speed leads to some really fun flying.

Consider Skyscale your 'legendary' mount and your Griffon as your 'ascended' mount (I'd throw the roller beetle in there as well as an ascended mount for how quick it is on land).

All things considered each mount has its usefulness where they shine, and you should get all of them eventually.

Nice! :smile: I'll end up getting all of them now and yeah, each mount has its uses. The most useful to me i think has been the Bunny! It's amazing how such an "early" mount will still be relevant later. Speaks volumes on the great design of the mounts! I mean, even when i had the borrowed skyscale mount in Dragonfall, i still used the Springer a lot of the times. The least one i use is the jackal but only because it's so specific that i don't know where to use it instead of just using the Raptor. Unless there's a sand portal, Raptor is almost always better. Jackal is basically reduced to "a thing you use to enter portals", and there's not many of those around. I wish they could implement more uses for it, some sand roads like in PoF, those are amazing, running on sand so high up! But criminally underused.

I already got the beetle and i'ts literally amazing how fast i can get to places with it! Sometimes i drift wrong and end up splat in a wall or off a cliff but that's the fun of it. :tongue: In more flat maps, it's THE mount to use! Amazing mount! I ended up using it more than i thought i would. I thought i'd get it for completion sake, but now it's my go to mount!

Plus, i know i'll use other mounts as well when i get the griffon and skycale. Probably less, but they did make sure that the flying ones won't invalidate the ground ones and that's admirable.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:Both Mounts have their usefulness. Skyscale is better for long distance 'Gliding' and can get more altitude by clinging to a surface and jumping, whereas the Griffon can dive for speed and reclimb to get altitude again.

Nice! :smile: I'll end up getting all of them now and yeah, each mount has its uses. The most useful to me i think has been the Bunny! It's amazing how such an "early" mount will still be relevant later. Speaks volumes on the great design of the mounts! I mean, even when i had the borrowed skyscale mount in Dragonfall, i still used the Springer a lot of the times. The least one i use is the jackal but only because it's so specific that i don't know where to use it instead of just using the Raptor. Unless there's a sand portal, Raptor is almost always better. Jackal is basically reduced to "a thing you use to enter portals", and there's not many of those around. I wish they could implement more uses for it, some sand roads like in PoF, those are amazing, running on sand so high up! But criminally underused.

I already got the beetle and i'ts literally amazing how fast i can get to places with it! Sometimes i drift wrong and end up splat in a wall or off a cliff but that's the fun of it. :tongue: In more flat maps, it's THE mount to use! Amazing mount! I ended up using it more than i thought i would. I thought i'd get it for completion sake, but now it's my go to mount!

Plus, i know i'll use other mounts as well when i get the griffon and skycale. Probably less, but they did make sure that the flying ones won't invalidate the ground ones and that's admirable.

Jackal really is the least useful mount. Raptor is useful when you have gaps to go over, or lots of flat land with obstacles. Skimmer for bodies of water. Beetle for vroom vroom. Bunny can still scale heights faster than Skyscale, Griffon for vroom vroom in the air. However, Skyscale is all around useful everywhere.

I'd say get them both in due time, and figure out which one you like best. None of them, in my opinion, is superior to the other.I think the griffon is more suited as an aerial mount, as I want to be able to fly to cover long distances quickly. When the Skyscale runs out of stamina (which it will if you try to keep your altitude), it goes down just like the griffon - but with way less forward momentum. And the small gains in altitude on short distances can almost always be achieved with a springer, too.In short, the scale to me feels like a swiss army knife of mounts - longer "jumps" than a raptor, decent maneuverability, sufficient speed bursts especially with the masteries... really handy, yet sometimes you just want the perfect tool for a specific job.But, MacGyver wasn't famous for his giant toolbelt... So pick your favorite :)