Make blindness work on Dragon's Maw or reveal DH when placing next trap

Disney.7826

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:

@Curennos.9307 said:I'd rather they add a little more...What to call it, variety? Depth? To the setup. Traps as a concept are all well and good, but maybe it isn't a good idea to have a trap with such narrow counters.

Stability, blocks, ports out, invul. Does not seem narrow at all to counter it .. just saying if you get stuck on it with 0 cooldows yes i see how you can die to it but thats not dm fault.

stability works.invuln worksblock does not work, you get cced back into the trapteleports kind of work, you do teleport but when teleport ends you still get knocked down.As a mesmer I never really gave a kitten cuz I had jaunt/blink and F4, but when I started playing ranger its kitten awfull.god forbids you dont have 100% cooldowns else you dead from full hp, no counterplay.like the only thing you can do is dodge out, and use stun-break during knockdown animation, and hope to gods that the trap bugs and lets you out, otherwise you die from full hp

By blocking they mean to just stand and block during the duration of the trap instead of trying to escape it. Only thing that will hurt you if you're blocking is crossing ToF and F1, which the DH shouldn't do anyway, especially if you're caught in the trap already.

F1 removes GS block or whatever other channeled blocks you might have, to survive you gotta do cute shit like dodge F1 and dodge spam through the crap and then escape with sliver of health or abuse the stun-break bug. DH doesnt need F1 damage to kill you if he can actually land sword-spin hits.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Curennos.9307 said:I'd rather they add a little more...What to call it, variety? Depth? To the setup. Traps as a concept are all well and good, but maybe it isn't a good idea to have a trap with such narrow counters.

Stability, blocks, ports out, invul. Does not seem narrow at all to counter it .. just saying if you get stuck on it with 0 cooldows yes i see how you can die to it but thats not dm fault.

stability works.invuln worksblock does not work, you get cced back into the trapteleports kind of work, you do teleport but when teleport ends you still get knocked down.As a mesmer I never really gave a kitten cuz I had jaunt/blink and F4, but when I started playing ranger its kitten awfull.god forbids you dont have 100% cooldowns else you dead from full hp, no counterplay.like the only thing you can do is dodge out, and use stun-break during knockdown animation, and hope to gods that the trap bugs and lets you out, otherwise you die from full hp

By blocking they mean to just stand and block during the duration of the trap instead of trying to escape it. Only thing that will hurt you if you're blocking is crossing ToF and F1, which the DH shouldn't do anyway, especially if you're caught in the trap already.

F1 removes GS block or whatever other channeled blocks you might have, to survive you gotta do cute kitten like dodge F1 and dodge spam through the kitten and then escape with sliver of health or abuse the stun-break bug. DH doesnt need F1 damage to kill you if he can actually land sword-spin hits.

Really? You too?

@Ragnar.4257 said:

Stab - yes, after Anet has stripped down stab access across the board.

Blocks - iirc this doesn't work? It'll knock you back into it similar to how dodging into the barrier will bounce you off. I've tried this multiple times (as a warr with shield5, most recently) and it has never worked if I try it after the trap has procced. I can still get yoinked into it too due to the unblockable spear.

Ports - GW2 has some issues where even if you port, it still considers you as having 'passed through'. They do work but it can be very wonky.

Invul - yes.

I'm not here to debate semantics and the nature of language and humanity. You're welcome to disagree with my word choice.

The issue is that trap stacking eliminates each others' counters (and the design of Maw negates other things - like as the OP mentions, blind) and the stuff that is available is either rare or self-defeating (ex: yes, I can certainly evade across a node to proc all the traps. And then I can't stand on it for a while, and the CD of said traps likely is already down or close to it so it happens again in short order. What is the point of this). Individually I find the traps fine, but stacked together it gets ridiculous. And then there're the slows, so anything you do is extremely vulnerable to everything ever.

Just...consider this. There's a Maw trap you have to get out of. You're slowed and you're taking damage from the spinny thing. Sure, fine - on my warr I'll use Stomp, no big deal. But I'm slowed, so it takes a bit and I'll take a decent chunk of damage regardless. But wait, there's another trap that damages me if I leave its circumference - which is fine, but there's still the spinny one that is gonna hit me if I stay in there. And then there's an unblockable spear that can yoink me back into it (the yoink goes through dodge, too).

All of these things are fine alone - trap that damages you if you cross it? Okay, dont' cross it. It has a pretty decent radius. Or there's a trap that damages you if you stay inside it and you can just walk/dodge out. But then, and then, etcetc - and then comes the part where the goal of the entire mode is to capture a point. Do you see how all of these things have conflicting counters? Are there counters? Yes. But they're totally inadequate, conflicting, convoluted...however you would like to describe them.

You keep talking about spear.

I don't think you have even the tiniest understanding of what it is you're complaining about.

Burn DH will not use spear to pull into traps, because then it loses all pressure from VoJ. If you're against a burn DH, the BEST THING that can happen to you is that it uses spear. It's literally the DH giving you a free win and going "hey, guess I won't do any damage for the next 20 seconds".

@Ragnar.4257 said:

Blocks - iirc this doesn't work? It'll knock you back into it similar to how dodging into the barrier will bounce you off. I've tried this multiple times (as a warr with shield5, most recently) and it has never worked if I try it after the trap has procced. I can still get yoinked into it too due to the unblockable spear.

Ports - GW2 has some issues where even if you port, it still considers you as having 'passed through'. They do work but it can be very wonky.

Invul - yes.

I'm not here to debate semantics and the nature of language and humanity. You're welcome to disagree with my word choice.

The issue is that trap stacking eliminates each others' counters (and the design of Maw negates other things - like as the OP mentions, blind) and the stuff that is available is either rare or self-defeating (ex: yes, I can certainly evade across a node to proc all the traps. And then I can't stand on it for a while, and the CD of said traps likely is already down or close to it so it happens again in short order. What is the point of this). Individually I find the traps fine, but stacked together it gets ridiculous. And then there're the slows, so anything you do is extremely vulnerable to everything ever.

Just...consider this. There's a Maw trap you have to get out of. You're slowed and you're taking damage from the spinny thing. Sure, fine - on my warr I'll use Stomp, no big deal. But I'm slowed, so it takes a bit and I'll take a decent chunk of damage regardless. But wait, there's another trap that damages me if I leave its circumference - which is fine, but there's still the spinny one that is gonna hit me if I stay in there. And then there's an unblockable spear that can yoink me back into it (the yoink goes through dodge, too).

All of these things are fine alone - trap that damages you if you cross it? Okay, dont' cross it. It has a pretty decent radius. Or there's a trap that damages you if you stay inside it and you can just walk/dodge out. But then, and then, etcetc - and then comes the part where the goal of the entire mode is to capture a point. Do you see how all of these things have conflicting counters? Are there counters? Yes. But they're totally inadequate, conflicting, convoluted...however you would like to describe them.

I don't think you have even the tiniest understanding of what it is you're complaining about.

Burn DH will not use spear to pull into traps, because then it loses all pressure from VoJ. If you're against a burn DH, the BEST THING that can happen to you is that it uses spear. It's literally the DH giving you a free win and going "hey, guess I won't do any damage for the next 20 seconds".

I'm explaining how the mechanics can stack and create convoluted counters resulting in unfun gameplay. Not being paid to read things to you, but you can copy/paste things into google for some help if you need it.

Nope, sorry, your "counters" only make sense if you're imagining some magical DH build that is somehow both simultaneously a power build (the references you make to the damage from Test of Faith) and a condi-build. A magical build that is somehow able to use spear, and also retain VoJ damage.

All while ignoring the most obvious counter, which is that if a DH blows its entire utility bar to make a point un-contestable for 3 seconds, then the DH has made itself super vulnerable to any pressure outside of those 3 seconds.

If a necro uses all its utilities on Wells, then you can't go on point when it drops them all. Does that mean necro wells are OP? Or does it mean you are expected to be able to apply the 3 brain cells it takes to not stand on point for that short duration, and then punish the necro afterwards for having 0 sustain utility?

Just imagine it was a PvE boss. Every 20 seconds, for a period of 3 seconds, it farts out massive damage in its immediate vicinity. Even PvE players can grasp the concept of "don't be near the boss when the big damage is happening". Although I guess they did have to make the PvE boss damage fields ultra-bright in order for people to understand something so basic.

Necro wells disappear after a short period of time, traps do not. If you want to avoid DH traps that typically means giving up the node for a considerable amount of time. That's not true of wells.

@Majy.6792 said:

Invul - yes.

I'm explaining how the mechanics can stack and create convoluted counters resulting in unfun gameplay. Not being paid to read things to you, but you can copy/paste things into google for some help if you need it.

Nope, sorry, your "counters" only make sense if you're imagining some magical DH build that is somehow both simultaneously a power build (the references you make to the damage from Test of Faith) and a condi-build. A magical build that is somehow able to use spear, and also retain VoJ damage.

All while ignoring the most obvious counter, which is that if a DH blows its entire utility bar to make a point un-contestable for 3 seconds, then the DH has made itself super vulnerable to any pressure outside of those 3 seconds.

If a necro uses all its utilities on Wells, then you can't go on point when it drops them all. Does that mean necro wells are OP? Or does it mean you are expected to be able to apply the 3 brain cells it takes to not stand on point for that short duration, and then punish the necro afterwards for having 0 sustain utility?

Just imagine it was a PvE boss. Every 20 seconds, for a period of 3 seconds, it farts out massive damage in its immediate vicinity. Even PvE players can grasp the concept of "don't be near the boss when the big damage is happening". Although I guess they did have to make the PvE boss damage fields ultra-bright in order for people to understand something so basic.

Necro wells disappear after a short period of time, traps do not. If you want to avoid DH traps that typically means giving up the node for a considerable amount of time. That's not true of wells.

No, traps disappear faster than Wells if you actually trigger them. If you trigger them immediately, you need to give up the node for LESS time than with Wells. There's only 1 trap that can actually pressure you off a node, that's Procession of Blades. How long does that spin for? 2 seconds?

Don't willfully misunderstand me here. I'm not saying Wells>Traps. I'm saying that the method of counterplay is the same.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

On ranger you have 3/4 cleanse utilities. Meaning you can cleanse the stacks whenever they get out of hand if you don't have the stability to get out. How is this any different from the old holo that could 100 to zero you in a prime light beam you didn't dodge?

@Math.5123 said:

On ranger you have 3/4 cleanse utilities. Meaning you can cleanse the stacks whenever they get out of hand if you don't have the stability to get out. How is this any different from the old holo that could 100 to zero you in a prime light beam you didn't dodge?

difference is that holo cant do that anymore and DH can.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

F1 removes GS block or whatever other channeled blocks you might have, to survive you gotta do cute kitten like dodge F1 and dodge spam through the kitten and then escape with sliver of health or abuse the stun-break bug. DH doesnt need F1 damage to kill you if he can actually land sword-spin hits.

If a DH does F1 to yoink a block, then they're sacrificing almost all of their damage to burst you down. If you survive after they F1, then the only pressure they have is Spirit Sword because no more Justice procs. If they got you after that, then it's not surprising, if they didn't them they're forced to run away for 20 seconds.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

Don't get me wrong, burn dh is beyond dumb. But Maw or damage isn't the reason.

Any class with triple offensive trait-lines and no stunbreak will be able to pump. Just remove trapper runes and the build will be gone.

@Math.5123 said:

Any class with triple offensive trait-lines and no stunbreak will be able to pump. Just remove trapper runes and the build will be gone.

Then trapper ranger is also gone, killing 2 builds for reason of one?

@Filip.7463 said:

Does anyone really want to see trapper rangers every game? It's just as obnoxious, just not as effective. Same with old trapper thief.

@Math.5123 said:

@"Curennos.9307" said:I'd rather they add a little more...What to call it, variety? Depth? To the setup. Traps as a concept are all well and good, but maybe it isn't a good idea to have a trap with such narrow counters.

There are far far worst things than burn DH in this game atm......anything I can almost "face tank" with a core ele cannot be considered "beyond dumb", I would leave that title to things like : core necro MM or general, renegade, DE, condi herald, scrapper ect etc....more dumb than burn DH and with 3x more sustain and mobility

Sure go on and nerf burn dh but...with that in mind what should even happen to the rest of this game I wonder.....

@Ragnar.4257 said:

Does anyone really want to see trapper rangers every game? It's just as obnoxious, just not as effective. Same with old trapper thief.

With removing the rune they destroy one build that was not needed to be destroyed.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:there shouldnt even be a trapper builds, traps are stupid to begin with, having 1 trap in your kit is fine but when your build revolves around them, then there is a problem.

Why shouldn't there be trapper builds? If they didn't want there to be trapper builds then they wouldn't have made an elite with 6 trap skills. What problem is there if you run all traps? It's not fun to fight? Neither is Thief and Mesmer so are they a problem too?

@Filip.7463 said:

With removing the rune they destroy one build that was not needed to be destroyed.

And by keeping the rune they destroy an enitre gamemode that was not needed to be destroyed lol. Are we seriously justifying trapper DH with trapper ranger now?

@Bazsi.2734 said:

And by keeping the rune they destroy an enitre gamemode that was not needed to be destroyed lol. Are we seriously justifying trapper DH with trapper ranger now?

Agreed, the rune is anti fun to play against. Its just that trap dh is a stronger build than trap ranger. They are both equally unfun to play vs.

@Math.5123 said:

Agreed, the rune is anti fun to play against. Its just that trap dh is a stronger build than trap ranger. They are both equally unfun to play vs.

nerf other things on dh then - VoJ maybe? Trapper rune destroys multiple builds if it gets removed

@Filip.7463 said:

nerf other things on dh then - VoJ maybe? Trapper rune destroys multiple builds if it gets removed

You're still missing the point. Nobody wants those other builds either. The fact that they get destroyed is not a negative.

Not to mention the hypocrisy of your own words. Nerfing VoJ nerfs many other core guard and FB builds. I thought nerfing other builds because of 1 problem build was bad?

@Filip.7463 said:

DH without trapper runes is a non-issue. I'd go a step further and say it needs minor buffs, because it's not really viable in high end PvP. To butcher an already weak spec because of a rune is the bad way to go about it.

@Ragnar.4257 said:

You're still missing the point. Nobody wants those other builds either. The fact that they get destroyed is not a negative.

Not to mention the hypocrisy of your own words. Nerfing VoJ nerfs many other core guard and FB builds. I thought nerfing other builds because of 1 problem build was bad?

They can nerf passive only on spear of justice (dh), while virtue od justice (core) remains the same

Like voj triggers every 5 attacks (3 with trait)

Make soj trigger every 7 attacks (4 with trait)

This is actually 25% nerf of damage on (almost) all skills

@bethekey.8314 said:Only noobs have trouble with Dragon's Maw and would complain about it on the PvP forums. I play PvP at the highest level and never see anyone have trouble.

Ya well, if this standard was the precedent mesmer would have never been nerfed except old glamour synergy, season 1 chrono bunk, and that one time shatters needed a bandaid.