Primordus Developpement

hugo.4705

I wonder, how would be developped the personnality of that dragon? If it was able to speak, what would it says? What about its main traits?

I want to think beyond a flat simple "roar destroy everything, roar hate everything" and a more strategist and maniac aspect. Even pushing the aspect of feeling superior and strong.

I want to think about typical answers of essential questions to be the following:

"Don't be fooled by this snake of Jormag, only I, the true essence of destruction, volcanic power, raw force of earthquakes can shape the world. Did Jormag promised you anything? Yes, lies. I saw races reaching their apogee, and a moment later, fleeing like wurms."

"I Borrow my forces to the ones asking for it, only asking to fight in my name in return. But why corrupting livings when I can create an army of magmatic rocks puppets?"

"I can help you push back ice, can't promise you anything more."

Primordius seems to like giving special names to its lieutenants, one of the first occurence is the destroyer of world in sorrow embrace, but with drm, you have several others like destroyer of ironhammer line or of crystal fields.It has specialized troops, soldiers, melters, harpies... without needing to use corpses to grow its army.

What if Primordus is so much confident in itself that he simply don't trust and like corrupting living forms? Cause basically, it has infinite supply of material for its army as long as there is lava and rocks around.

Also primordius is big, when I say big, it is bigger than kralkatorrik, real size kralkatorrik (kralkatorrik would be size of thunderhead map). Primordius head is the size of draconis mons, I let you imagine whole body. Even if you put ice spires, mega lit class lasers and place it under a rain of pact airship fires it would do nothing. I also doubt the dragon is enough stupid to put itself at the surface.

To return to the personality itself, I spoke about strategy. I think it is interesting sending some squads around to assault some little settlements and towns whereas brewing something bigger somewhere else. To make enough noise, of course some named lieutenant. Beyond that, what I'm interested to see is traps: Imagine an ettin, a devourer anything and boom it explode and you discover ton of crablings, an harpy being in fact a destroyer harpy, some under disguises looking like a basic npc. Lionguard, whatever.Jormag strategy is to whisper, manipulate and make you think you need what it need, it seems to use races qualities to help it to succeed: using charr military structures and engineering... what if primordius is the opposite? Not caring of any race because its mindset is they are useless and that you can't do anything perfectly without doing it yourself? Instead of trying to corrupt, would be straight: helping? No? Die. And even further, what if its goal is the opposite of Jormag one: use races prowess and qualities to destroy them.

Think about quora sum and old underground stories: undrground was ovverun surely because it sends destroyers though asura gates and cutting energy supplies! Try to apply this to other races: easy to destroy charr artillery by coming from under and melting the vehicles and weapons. Humans, seraph or lionguard? Just distract. Norn? Ruining shrines and eliminating shamans. Primordus could develop specialized sniper minions, wasps or wurms to navigature more easily around. Now thinking of that, stone summit dwarves are those artillery support, and I'm surprised to haven't see them yet in drm.

Bug it does make sense! Send a spark and then when nobody here to defend send the big troops and artillery.

To sum up, because it starts to be long would see primordius to be the opposite of jormag in its behaviour: not seeking for help from races, not wanting to bother corrupt them, not corrupting living heavily, being straight in its dialogues, not lying, and finally returning races qualities against them.

Btw, how do we know lieutenants names? Are they mentionned in a book, does their growls understood by some races?

The minions of Primordus, as with most elder dragon minions, are bestowed by the intelligent races of Tyria. Not the dragon. Dragons have no need to name their minions (with some exceptions with Jormag which thus far has been one of the human-mimic like dragons, etc.).

Primordus is intelligent. However, you're not going to be sitting down with a conversation with him. He does not need you. Zhaitan needed sentient life so that he could control death, Moredemoth needed non-sentient life to create sentient life and imbue with a psyche. Kralk is probably closest to Primordus, however Kralk still relied on life force (branding minons) to a certain degree to obtain many of his desires. Jormag possibly needs life the most. It needs to manipulate people, not control them, and wishes to preserve life, whereas Primordus needs no sentient life and is able to build artificial constructs with the only desire to destroy everything else. Besides being fire, which is the antithesis to Jormag, he works against Jormag's goal of preservation. So when Primordus appears to just be a beast, this doesn't mean he is unintelligent. We just don't understand him, because quite literally, he likely cares the least of all about Tyria and would be more than happy to just consume the whole world with fire and make it a molten ball in space, even if it resulted in his own demise. Generally elder dragons are more powerful the bigger they are, through their consumption of more magic, and well Primordus is the biggest known Elder Dragon. Thankfully Primordus would be unable to consume the whole planet as long as the Deep Sea Dragon exists. Quite literally it would turn into a battle of land and sea. Maybe not so good for those trying to live on the planet though.

The writers could have done a better job with Primordius giving him a decent personality. In other games story fire is the element of purity, cleanse, rebirth. It's not just chaos and destruction like the elder dragons represents. I call this wasted potential and I hope they can do a better job addressing the personality of the water dragon, because water in this game is the element of healing and cleansing, so S. can have all the rights to be a good elder dragon who is not interested in waging war against his brothers.

@Touchme.1097 said:The writers could have done a better job with Primordius giving him a decent personality. In other games story fire is the element of purity, cleanse, rebirth. It's not just chaos and destruction like the elder dragons represents. I call this wasted potential and I hope they can do a better job addressing the personality of the water dragon, because water in this game is the element of healing and cleansing, so S. can have all the rights to be a good elder dragon who is not interested in waging war against his brothers.

Purity, cleansing, and rebirth, eh? I mean, sure maybe in a couple of games that might be a thing, but for most games Fire IS destruction and Primordus has been the True Destroyer since 2007 as the first Elder Dragon we were introduced to. Him not being evil was never going to be a thing. All of the original Elder Dragons are antagonists, only Aurene is the exception, at least until we can get some more replacements for the others. The DSD has already been shown to be violent as it is what drove the karka, quaggan, and krait from their original home....waters....up towards Tyria.

It's already been established that Jormag and Primordus are two sides of the same coin.. opposites etc.

Given that's the dynamic I think it's far better if it's also reflected in their personalities.

Jormag is sly, cunning and manipulative and also very very intelligent and it seems to genuinely want to preserve the world forever in ice.That would have to mean Primordus is none of those things and the complete opposite.That wouldn't make Primordus stupid though.. just more single minded in it's desires.. Destruction and death.

There's a reason we call violence and destruction acts of primitive, savage or evil behaviour.. I think Primordus should reflect those traits, Specially since Jormag is supposed to be it's opposite and Jormag's traits have already been established.

If Primordus is to be a dragon of fire and destruction with a more single minded purpose of eradicating all life on Tyria then he needs to be as close to an unstoppable force as possible for him to be a good villain.That alone will make him by far the most dangerous of the Elder Dragons and that's what he deserves to be.

This is why I think we need to witness a cataclysmic event in Gw2 that Primordus is responsible for.. we need that moment where against all odds Primordus still wins.I know we had something similar with Kralkatorrik but Anet need to go so much further with Primordus to establish his power and dominance.That's why I think Primordus will end up killing Jormag.. and why if Primordus dies at the end of IBS like many have suspected he will it will be such a tragedy and a waste of potential for what could be this franchises most dangerous villain.

@Touchme.1097 said:The writers could have done a better job with Primordius giving him a decent personality. In other games story fire is the element of purity, cleanse, rebirth. It's not just chaos and destruction like the elder dragons represents.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:I like that they are described as opposites. So Jormag as the dragon who can reason, deceit, lie and be verbally mouthed. Primordus being honest, truthfull and silent. Just pure destruction, just like his brother, but being honest about it.

Wow, these are some interesting ideas that I believe could be used to really bring Primordus to life as a character. While Primordus is meant to be the dragon of fire and conflaguration, the result of that fire is a new start or a sort of reset to the what once was.

This plays nicely into the motif of fire vs. ice with Jormag representing ice, preservation and deceit. Primordus is fire, renewal and not so much "truth" but perhaps brusk or brusque? Like Primordus is more to the point in a harsh way.

@Fueki.4753 said:I'd prefer Primordus to stay a simple beast.Primordus has no need for words or a personality to be a decent antagonist.

I'd prefer that, too. I've always thought Primordus and his destroyers are behaving close to insects, specifically ants. I'd like it to stay that way.They have no need to communicate with other races, the only thing that matters is their own colonies.

I’m hoping for Primordus to live through IBS, as although we have seen new destroyers, we haven’t seen new destroyer models. In terms of Jormag, we have seen lots of its minions, killed a large amount of unique champions, that I could easily see Jormag being killed at the end of the saga.

That being said, I would hope they would save Primordus for last since he was the first and presumably has consumed the most amount of magic. We have also been dealing with its minions and champions since the personal story as well as in season 3 and IBS, so if Primordus survived until EoD or afterwards, it would make Primordus the primary villain throughout the game, popping in and out of the story, so we don’t forget that he’s there.