Question for Devs regarding food recipes

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:I would think that what those of us in the USA consider one stick of butter might not be what is standard on Tyria. It could be the equivalent of a 1/2 or even 1/4 stick the North American standard for butter sticks. Of course if a missing step in the game recipe is to turn X number of sticks of butter into clarified butter or ghee then that could account for the excess since the process removes the water that bulks it up. Making clarified butter is results in about a 1/4 loss in volume.

I went with the USA definition of a stick of butter. Those of us in a number of other countries do not have sticks. I thought it was a colloquialism until I was told about a year ago that butter in the USA can come in actual sticks.

Just out of curiosity what does it come out in other countries? Butter crock or just a small plastic bowl or something? Never actually shopped for groceries in another country actually.

In Britain it's either sold in a block (wrapped in plastic or grease proof paper) or in a plastic tub.

And we call it Bu'er

?

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:I would think that what those of us in the USA consider one stick of butter might not be what is standard on Tyria. It could be the equivalent of a 1/2 or even 1/4 stick the North American standard for butter sticks. Of course if a missing step in the game recipe is to turn X number of sticks of butter into clarified butter or ghee then that could account for the excess since the process removes the water that bulks it up. Making clarified butter is results in about a 1/4 loss in volume.

I went with the USA definition of a stick of butter. Those of us in a number of other countries do not have sticks. I thought it was a colloquialism until I was told about a year ago that butter in the USA can come in actual sticks.

Just out of curiosity what does it come out in other countries? Butter crock or just a small plastic bowl or something? Never actually shopped for groceries in another country actually.

In Britain it's either sold in a block (wrapped in plastic or grease proof paper) or in a plastic tub.

I suppose the blocks are similar to sticks, just wider and shorter (not quite a cube, but a short rectangle), but I think they must be bigger too because you'd have to be making a lot of something to use a whole block in a recipie. Most are 250g - 500g.

Same in NZ, 500g standard. The ones that are wrapped have small lines on the sides to show 50g portions.

@keenedge.9675 said:@LindseyCrafting food in gw2 always makes me hungry and interested in trying something new at home.

1. I've been looking on the 'net for a real-world Spicy Pumpkin Cookies. I think I'd love those.
  2. Our Ascended chefs cant make hot cocoa or grilled cheese. Great comfort foods.

On Bitterfrost Frontier with the Bitter cold, I wish they'd used hot food and beverage recipes to give extreme cold resistance instead of the elixir. Hot beverages and hot foods could have given a specific amount of time resistance to the cold. With hot beverages and hot foods stack. They could have use the Bitter Cold in future Shiverpeak maps instead of making it a single map thing. They had to recreate it with the Raven Barrier Shrine/Warmth. I've never been a fan of reinventing things like that.

Well, I found a conversion. For butter, 1 tablespoon = 14.4 grams. This means that one stick of freedom butter is about 115.2 grams of ye olde butter block. Give or take, depending on the brand and density of the butter. For comparison, one tablespoon of water is 15 grams.

Sometimes our butter comes in tubs, too. Especially the kind that is pre-mixed with oil for easy spreading.

@Danikat.8537 said:

I suppose the blocks are similar to sticks, just wider and shorter (not quite a cube, but a short rectangle), but I think they must be bigger too because you'd have to be making a lot of something to use a whole block in a recipie. Most are 250g - 500g.

So it sounds like your block equals about around 1 pack of 4 sticks laid atop one another over in America since my pack of 4 sticks is 453G. So in general its generally more a change in presentation and packaging since as you say it takes ALOT of use to use such a large amount of butter .

To throw you even more for a loop I can buy half sticks over here which is basically the equivalent of 2 sticks of butter cut in half again or half a block. Really its useful since as a single person, unless you love butter in everything, there is no way to use that much butter in a decent timeframe.

@Head Kracker.4790 said:

My wife, who comes from Chile states that their butter also come in sticks. However the package of 4 sticks weighs half a kilo instead of a pound.

While on the principle I have no issue with the food design overall, it was mentioned that they had meetings about "economy" and ingredients, they apparently totally failed at this.The situation right now, and since many years, is that 90%+ of the materials are worth nothing, only coppers.So we have a huge material storage for many food ingredients, that are not worth picking up anyway.And there was almost no efforts to fix that, sure the 500 cook update did partially solve the issue of food value, for a limited time, but its not fixing the root issue at all.The real issue behind the worthless food is that its worthless... make food matters and bingo ppl will craft more of them, gather more materials, and make the market alive again.Right now, been a crafter is just a waste of gold, more or less, the only thing that keep cooking revelant is the ascended food, it probably wouldnt take much efforts to make it worthy as a whole, but I dont believe thats what they want.

"Again, a few exceptions snuck past me like Winterberries..."I used cranberries to make everything but the Bowl of Winterberry Seaweed Salad. (And the steak recipe. I used Juniper berries for that one.) Though the pie and the sorbet require the addition of sugar. Honestly, when I saw the Savory Winterberry Sauce, I figured that was what they were meant to be!

I've been using GW2 cooking recipes for a good two years now to get my kids to eat all kinds of things they wouldn't otherwise try. Turns out, an eight year old who won't touch ordinary beef stew can't get enough of it when it's Wurm Stew from Hoelbrak.

Ever consider publishing a irl cookbook? I would LOVE to see the actual recipes the experts had in mind and compare them to my cobbled-together creations!

@"Tekoneiric.6817" said:How many of the food recipes are based on real recipes and is there a story behind the choice to include them? I think it would be interesting if various people with ANet did a regular video program making the recipes IRL, discussing and taste testing them.

Can't say that I care much about that, although it is "flavor" if you will. What I do care about is the absurdity of having to kill 40 giant Moas to get a SINGLE bit of poultry meat to drop.

It is a shame that the team doesn't go over things like supply and tweak to eliminate grossly artificial shortages like that. Frustration and annoyance coupled with forced mindless grinding/farming does not a fun game make.

• Confused 1

@"arukAdo.2047" said:While on the principle I have no issue with the food design overall, it was mentioned that they had meetings about "economy" and ingredients, they apparently totally failed at this.The situation right now, and since many years, is that 90%+ of the materials are worth nothing, only coppers.So we have a huge material storage for many food ingredients, that are not worth picking up anyway.And there was almost no efforts to fix that, sure the 500 cook update did partially solve the issue of food value, for a limited time, but its not fixing the root issue at all.The real issue behind the worthless food is that its worthless... make food matters and bingo ppl will craft more of them, gather more materials, and make the market alive again.Right now, been a crafter is just a waste of gold, more or less, the only thing that keep cooking revelant is the ascended food, it probably wouldnt take much efforts to make it worthy as a whole, but I dont believe thats what they want.

The question is what they were attempting to achieve in these meetings. If they want it to be profitable to gather and sell most cooking materials then yes there's an issue, if on the other hand they want to make sure most foods are relatively cheap to craft so most players can afford to make and use them without worrying that they're wasting gold when they do then it's a success.

@Danikat.8537 said:The question is what they were attempting to achieve in these meetings. If they want it to be profitable to gather and sell most cooking materials then yes there's an issue, if on the other hand they want to make sure most foods are relatively cheap to craft so most players can afford to make and use them without worrying that they're wasting gold when they do then it's a success.

Yeah but in that case, they would have make it so that the cost is fixed, in karma, or whatever else they could come up with, and not something tradable, gatherable.It also make no sence, given, the good food is costly.No, the problem is the huge diversity over food that shouldnt be that much diversified, for near zero benefit to players.

When I sayd there are easy ways to fix the situation, I actually meant it, you could for exemple make food effect stackable, like everything else, but thats just one idea and theres many possibilities for them to change the state of the crafting/market, but they didnt, and we are now close to 10 years since release, so it probly wont ever change.

The "Tapioca" in HoT(i guess in verdant brink) is from my country Brazil, the portuguese on colonial era(around 1600's) bring it to far east asia, and become popular theres too. So whats is called as tapioca in Brazil is know by the same name on Asia. In Brazil the invention of tapioca is credited to native indians. But in Asia, that recipe evolve to "bubble tea". well its a long history and im lazy to continue.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Tapioca_Pudding

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapiocahttps://pt.qaz.wiki/wiki/Tapiocahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapiocahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_teahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapioca_balls

Cooking is my favorite craft to level up. It is really fun and it makes me want to learn to cook different recipes at home. I was expecting Arena Net to come out with a cookbook and I am surprised it has not. I remember seeing someone make a beautiful PDF of their GW2 cookbook idea on the Art forums and it looked like something I would definitely buy. I am hoping that maybe Alchemy Art Group (the makers of Tyrian Gazette and Tyrian Tarot) will partner up with Arena Net again and make something like this happen. I think they would be able to raise a lot of money, just like their previous projects.

@Glass Too.4709 said:My wife, who comes from Chile states that their butter also come in sticks. However the package of 4 sticks weighs half a kilo instead of a pound.

Weird. They don't come in sticks, is more of a brick of 250g, 500g, or a kilogram. Though, if you need to know about the actual stick measure, they're marked in the packaging (50g)

@Kiba.9743 said:Cooking is my favorite craft to level up. It is really fun and it makes me want to learn to cook different recipes at home. I was expecting Arena Net to come out with a cookbook and I am surprised it has not. I remember seeing someone make a beautiful PDF of their GW2 cookbook idea on the Art forums and it looked like something I would definitely buy. I am hoping that maybe Alchemy Art Group (the makers of Tyrian Gazette and Tyrian Tarot) will partner up with Arena Net again and make something like this happen. I think they would be able to raise a lot of money, just like their previous projects.

I saw that too. Chelsea Monroe-Cassel came out with lovely ESO and WoW cookbooks in 2018 and 2019, so there's certainly a market for one.