just hit 80 and totaly lost..

For Heart of Thorns maps you need to reach the Silverwastes first. Since I assume you are skipping all of the Personal Story and the Season 2 storyline which takes you there naturally, you need to do the following

• Go to Brisban Wildlands.
  • About halfway up the west side is a fort which will take you to a portal into silverwastes. If you end up in Dry Top, you went too far south
  • The story will start in the first fort in Silverwastes, however the first map can be accessed at the far SW corner in a cave by the fort there. You may need to do the story to start the gliding training.

For Path of Thorns, just select the story from your journal. That will take you to LA and eventually you will be led onto an airship to the maps. The first story instance must be completed for you to get your raptor mount

Expansion areas - much like the Living World DLC areas (there's 4 purchasable Seasons by the way) are naturally accessed by their respective story

Silverwastes is for central tyria mastery xp and wont contribute to your glider. If you select the story for Heart of Thorns in your story journal, it'll pop up a green star in the fort and you will be led into the maps to start your journey. You can start earning Heart of Thorns masteries (eg gliding) once you enter those maps to the west

@Sindrela.1846 said:awesome got my mount and started mastery ranks.

how do i get more spec points so i can raise Scrapper? thought i might get some by leveling mastery ranks but got none

Hero points. Note that elite specs require 10x the points as core specs to unlock. However, hero point challenges in expansion maps are worth 10x as much. So look for those hero points marked on the expansion maps. Also note that PoF HPs are more solo-friendly as the HoT HPs often spawn champions. But hero point trains that run a big squad through HoT for hero points are also a thing, so keep an eye out for that.

Alternatively, WvW/PvP grants currencies which may be exchanged to unlock hero points, although this is probably going to be the slower route.

Also, as this will be your first time in Heart of Thorns, please be prepared for this.

;)

It's probably not as bad as it was back then, but still. Be aware that the difficulty is a bit higher here than in the base game. In contrast, Path of Fire will be a bit easier. (Difficulty level of PoF is between the base game and HoT)

@Sindrela.1846 said:path of fire is going ok, got few hero points need about 4 more so i can get scrapper barrier, main problem is getting up to alot of said hero challenges or master points..im guessing this changes when i get the big jump

Have you tried asking in map chat for help? There are often mesmers in the map who could help port you to the point. I've found people very helpful when I've been stuck. My only warning here is don't ask for help during a meta event on the map.

yeh that will help a ton.. i got to a silly point that i needed the big raptor jump to reach points and hero challenges, but couldnt reach them without said jump :pensive:

its all good though, having fun on mesmer, which used to be my old favorite, before i had to get new account and the mount and glider are helping lots.

Good call on doing PoF masteries before hitting HoT. While the story ends up a bit out of order (this is assuming you skipped everything after getting the glider and went straight to PoF after that), having raptor with the long jump and the springer with the high jump is an amazing tool for being in the jungle.

Let me know (via whisper or mail) anytime you want a hand reaching masteries or HPs. If I'm on and not in a pvp match, I'll gladly help you. In fact, you'll be helping me! I've been looking for ways to feel more excited about playing again, and I feel like being more helpful will go a long way with that.

@Sindrela.1846 said:thanks guys

still running around on mesmer leveling, as waiting for mate who just got game, so can duo areas. looking forward to the big jump on raptor.

how do i gain a flying mount btw, i see them fly over and cant help but feel tad jelous

• The Griffon requires completing the PoF story. You can then access a series of collections which involve a mix of content including group, solo and a total of 250g. The Griffon is similar to the glider, but has a huge speed boost when combined with an air dive
  • The Skyscale collection is unlocked after LS4 Ep6 is completed. You then have to do a series of long collection quests (mostly solo stuff) and accumulate a large amount of LS4 currencies - ie currencies from all 6 LS4 episodes and maps. From scratch it will take a few weeks for most players. The Skyscale is a more true flying mount as it hovers and can fly up/down for a limited period whilst it has the endurance to do so.

Basically they require a fair amount of time investment in Path of Fire and later Living World Season 4