Mac Users on Older Systems: Do we still get support?

Following the official update about Mac Support, I wanted to know as a Mac user who has played and invested in this game since its launch, that those of us who have refused to update to Apple's new OS and hardware due to their new policies, if the game will still work on older machines who are not locked into those settings.

Due to how the economy is currently, I can't afford to buy a new computer, as much as I've been saving up and working on building my own desktop. This game has been with me since well, 2012, and I've been playing it since then. Yes, I can use bootcamp, and at this point it's probably going to probably be a necessity, but I wanted to know the official stance on those who haven't updated and do not plan to do so.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:From this statement, it sounds like the client will cease to function:

Starting February 18 , we will be discontinuing support for the Mac OS version of Guild Wars 2. This means the Mac client will no longer work after this date.It's a shame. I can't blame the game though; Apple has made it harder and harder to work with, and many games are heading this direction. It's just a shame that I'm going to be out of commission for a while. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I think that this is completely awful. I literally bought my Intel Macbook Pro last year. Before purchase, I checked to make sure that GW2 would still run on my Mac. For them to stop support and abandon an entire user base is ridiculous. I understand that they don't want to try and code for the new ARM processors, but what about the users who still have the Intel Macs? We're just hosed? I've been playing Guild Wars since around 2005 and was a tester for the 2nd one and have been playing ever since. Long term players left to rot... just because of the system we choose to use. I have to say that I'm completely furious at this decision.

@ChiYuri.6943 said:I think that this is completely awful. I literally bought my Intel Macbook Pro last year. Before purchase, I checked to make sure that GW2 would still run on my Mac. For them to stop support and abandon an entire user base is ridiculous. I understand that they don't want to try and code for the new ARM processors, but what about the users who still have the Intel Macs? We're just hosed? I've been playing Guild Wars since around 2005 and was a tester for the 2nd one and have been playing ever since. Long term players left to rot... just because of the system we choose to use. I have to say that I'm completely furious at this decision.

Blame Apple, not Anet. There are existing workarounds which will allow you to still use your Mac.

@ChiYuri.6943 said:I think that this is completely awful. I literally bought my Intel Macbook Pro last year. Before purchase, I checked to make sure that GW2 would still run on my Mac. For them to stop support and abandon an entire user base is ridiculous. I understand that they don't want to try and code for the new ARM processors, but what about the users who still have the Intel Macs? We're just hosed? I've been playing Guild Wars since around 2005 and was a tester for the 2nd one and have been playing ever since. Long term players left to rot... just because of the system we choose to use. I have to say that I'm completely furious at this decision.

I place the blame solely on Apple tbh. There's only so much support ANet can provide for a game that has no monthly subscription fee. Sure, a better option to some would be to leave the Mac client working for the time being - with no guarantee that it would continue to work as updates on systems and the game itself advanced - but that would leave people in the lurch suddenly without any sort of warning.

There are still feasible options for Mac users to continue playing GW2. Dual boot (installing Windows as a second OS), VM, etc. Yeah, it sucks to not just work out of the box, but that's 100% the fault of Apple.

@ChiYuri.6943 said:We're just hosed?

Far from it. Aside from the oft-mentioned Bootcamp solution (which will require you to buy Windows), I suggest looking into dual-booting Linux on your mac (which will require you... to pay nothing lol. It's free). I haven't done it myself for GW2, but I hear people get pretty good results running GW2 on Linux.

There is a difference between "will it work?", "Do I get help when it doesn't work" and "Will Arenanet garantee it will work"

Will it work?: Most likely it will and I doubt you will have any issues anytime soon. Untill recently the game has been tested on all factors for the mac and it is highly doubtfull things changes abruptly unless Apple brings out updates that screw things up.

Do I get help when it doesn't work?: Yes! you still can get help. It is not as if support all of a sudden forgets all the knowledge they have and they will still help you with issues. But it is limited now....

Will Arenant garantee it will work? No. This is the limitation. They will no longer garantee this and when bringing out new content they will no longer test it.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:There is a difference between "will it work?", "Do I get help when it doesn't work" and "Will Arenanet garantee it will work"

Will it work?: Most likely it will and I doubt you will have any issues anytime soon. Untill recently the game has been tested on all factors for the mac and it is highly doubtfull things changes abruptly unless Apple brings out updates that screw things up.

Do I get help when it doesn't work?: Yes! you still can get help. It is not as if support all of a sudden forgets all the knowledge they have and they will still help you with issues. But it is limited now....

Will Arenant garantee it will work? No. This is the limitation. They will no longer garantee this and when bringing out new content they will no longer test it.

It won’t work period. See below.

Starting February 18 , we will be discontinuing support for the Mac OS version of Guild Wars 2. This means the Mac client will no longer work after this date. We will also be turning off Gem purchases in the Mac version of the game beginning on January 19, the date of our next build in the new year.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It won’t work period. See below.

Starting February 18 , we will be discontinuing support for the Mac OS version of Guild Wars 2.
This means the Mac client will no longer work after this date.
We will also be turning off Gem purchases in the Mac version of the game beginning on January 19, the date of our next build in the new year.

Exactly. Which is why this advice makes the most sense:

@voltaicbore.8012 said:(which will require you to buy Windows), I suggest looking into dual-booting Linux on your mac (which will require you... to pay nothing lol. It's free). I haven't done it myself for GW2, but I hear people get pretty good results running GW2 on Linux.

This should solve the problem for all those not switching to the latest Macs with their new hardware architecture.

I know that you guys are saying to "blame Apple", but the issue is with ArenaNet. They've been providing a service to Mac users that have machines using Intel processors. Now that Apple has moved forward with their own proprietary ARM processors, it is harder to make a launcher for two different types of machines. Yes, they are using the same MacOS. However, the difference in the processors can impact how the game is programmed and functions. I will say again, that I understand ANet not wanting to program and make the game work for the new ARM processor machines. However, they've happily provided service for those of us with Intel Macs for years. I believe they should continue to do so until the machines are obsolete, which would be years from now. They could just put a disclaimer that the launcher may not function with ARM processor models. Instead, they are abandoning Mac altogether without any consideration to those of us using those Intel Macs (which Apple was producing until only just recently).

@"ChiYuri.6943" said:I know that you guys are saying to "blame Apple", but the issue is with ArenaNet. They've been providing a service to Mac users that have machines using Intel processors. Now that Apple has moved forward with their own proprietary ARM processors, it is harder to make a launcher for two different types of machines. Yes, they are using the same MacOS. However, the difference in the processors can impact how the game is programmed and functions. I will say again, that I understand ANet not wanting to program and make the game work for the new ARM processor machines. However, they've happily provided service for those of us with Intel Macs for years. I believe they should continue to do so until the machines are obsolete, which would be years from now. They could just put a disclaimer that the launcher may not function with ARM processor models. Instead, they are abandoning Mac altogether without any consideration to those of us using those Intel Macs (which Apple was producing until only just recently).

It would probably end up with them redesigning the game to work which probably isn’t feasible. Especially with a very small user base that is impacted.