Repair Rework for upcoming expansion Armorsmithing/Weaponsmithing

@"Raknar.4735" said:Hey, let's add some similiar ideas. If we need an armorsmith to repair our gear, why not take this further to make the game more realistic and "fun"?To adhere to "realism" and add more player interaction, the following must also be the case:

Healthy state & Cooking

• If you don't eat food cooked by a cook, your character is malnourished, your stats, damage, regen etc. is halved. If you don't eat at all your character simply is defeated. To respawn, another player has to manually carry you to a waypoint. If you don't get saved and forced to eat, your character dies and is deleted permanently.
  • Walking is now the default method of transportation. Running, as well as using mounts, will now cause exhaustion. A exhausted player doesn't regenerate endurance.
  • Cooking food now takes longer, depending on what you're preparing. Mini-games that take up to 8 hours to prepare complicated group dishes are added.
  • Players are now able to have a heart attack. This will lead to instant downed status or defeat. This will sometimes cause character deletion.

Bank & Guild Bank

• A new accountant and a banking profession have been added to the game. You can now only store things in your bank by talking to both a player with the corresponding accountant skill and one with a banking profession. It has to be two separate players.
  • To access a guild bank the guild has to have an accountant with a high skill level and must contact a high-skilled banker.

Combat Training

• New professions are added to the game: Swordfighting-Trainer, Elemental-magic-Trainer etc.
  • If you don't get trained by another player with the corresponding skills, you have a 50% chance to miss. If you hit you deal greatly reduced damage with a chance to hurt yourself when swinging certain weapons and using damaging magical skills.
  • Being a self-trained "XYZ-Trainer" will result in "bad-form". Anyone with "bad-form" has a 20% chance to miss. Anyone trained by a self trained trainer will also have "bad-form".

I could go on, but I think it's obvious what I'm going for. "Realism" and forced player interaction isn't always the best method to make a game fun.

All characters that use a projectile weapon have to carry the rounds for that projectile weapon. If they run out of projectiles, the weapon is useless. In addition, players must carry either a rifle/pistol cleaning kit. If the rifle/pistol is not cleaned every 10 hours of character play, then there is a percent chance it will fire incorrectly and damage the opponent. The percent increases incrementally the longer the rifle/pistol is not cleaned. At 100% the rifle/pistol kills the player instead of the opponent. Bows must be restrung every 10 hours or they no longer fire.

As well as the character being malnourished, all pets and mounts become malnourished unless fed regularly. Feeding stations for each mount are implemented on the maps where each mount was initially acquired. Interacting with a chef will remove the malnourished state on pets and mounts.

Where each anvil was, a blacksmith NPC is introduced. This blacksmith will also shoe mounts that have hooves. Shoes wear down with mount use, with a shoe health indicator shown. After 10 hours of gameplay on the mount, the shoe will be destroyed and the mount will only move at 10% speed. However, shoes can be repaired even if they haven't been destroyed and interacting with the blacksmith (e.g. to repair armour) will automatically repair all shoes to full health.

I play the game because it is a pleasant escape from reality. I really don't want a whole bunch of real-life elements implemented into the game. There are already gold-making features implemented into the game - the TP, dailies, festivals, and so forth.

I'd rather it be changed to the system some other games use, where:

• Equipping armor increases your overall armor points, like it does now, but..
  • Armor points behave similar to health points, can be lost from getting downed or defeated (no losing rune effects, etc, just defense), and..
  • Armor could be restored (slowly) by skills from supportive players, and..
  • Armor wouldn't auto-regen out of combat like health does, so repair anvils would still serve a purpose.

It would also allow in-combat effects like breaking your opponents armor with a hammer, to create semi-permanent changes on the battlefield, which would make a huge difference during fights in competitive modes.

Think of how much it would balance downstate if rallied players retained some penalties.

(Obviously, Toughness wouldn't be affected, so players would always retain at least some defense if they're built for it.)

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@"bastet.9321" said:Thought repairs were kept in to keep people/groups from just endlessly zerging/leap frogging stuff like high leveled/ranked enemies in an endless tide

Maybe I'm just crazy

That rings a bell, vaguely, linked to the change in dungeon boss fights way far back when, to obstruct what they called "rez rushing".

That is taken care of by preventing WP use if anyone on the party is in combat.

@"Gudradain.3892" said:I prefer never having to repair equipment.

This. I hate repairing. I would buy an auto-repair bot from the gem store.... Ah! Oh I see! The OP is the agent provocateur, and the devs will implement repairs claiming that it's because of "popular demand" so they can charge gems for players to get into a situation they had before they even implemented it.

Yes, I am being sarcastic - Fun, isn't it?