Anet: Stop punishing players for the kittenfest your matching system produces.

Xentera.4560

There should be no reason why I get every top stat in my team, and yet my team loses the match 500:499 because the match up was kitten. And then I have to pay for what the matching system did by losing 18 rank points. Any one with half a brain can see this is a kitten system all together.Either fix your matching system, or stop rank point penalties for losing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

/endrant

@Kuma.1503 said:Well they could start by reverting the patch that killed off the population, make a big announcement on the forums like they did last time. Might get some better matchmaking when there are actually players to matchmake.

But we know that is not going to happen. And in the meantime pvp keeps hemorrhaging from whatever little population is left. My degree of frustration with the current ranked system is making that entire mode almost unplayable to me.

I had same feelings recently after returning to game, and got super solution - don't play sPvP :lol:My live become much better, now i just randomly go for some meta events, and my "game time" becomes shorter and shorter day by day, because there is no real enjoyment to play.So i think in week or two i will quit again, most likely for ever.P.S. Real advice - don't spend your time with something makes you frustrated it just pixels do something useful IRL, this probably is biggest lost potential game ever.

@Xentera.4560 said:There should be no reason why I get every top stat in my team, and yet my team loses the match 500:499 because the match up was kitten. And then I have to pay for what the matching system did by losing 18 rank points. Any one with half a brain can see this is a kitten system all together.Either fix your matching system, or stop rank point penalties for losing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

/endrant

Not every top stat is impactful towards a match. Your team losing by one point seems to be a fairly even match.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Xentera.4560 said:There should be no reason why I get every top stat in my team, and yet my team loses the match 500:499 because the match up was kitten. And then I have to pay for what the matching system did by losing 18 rank points. Any one with half a brain can see this is a kitten system all together.Either fix your matching system, or stop rank point penalties for losing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

/endrant

Not every top stat is impactful towards a match. Your team losing by one point seems to be a fairly even match.

I brought up that match as an example. You could lose by 1 point or 500 points, you could have no top stats or all top stats – and you still get punished just as bad.

@Xentera.4560 said:

/endrant

I brought up that match as an example. You could lose by 1 point or 500 points, you could have no top stats or all top stats – and you still get punished just as bad.

You lose a match which then causes you to lose rank points. I don’t see what the issue is. Everyone likely feels that they put a lot of effort into a match so should they all be less penalized for a loss too? Top stats are not a great indicator towards performance for a match.

@Xentera.4560 said:

@Filip.7463 said:There is too low player pop. If u are p1, both teams might be p1+g1g1g1g1 so matchmaking is fair and its expected from you to take care over your team

Except that by this argument more, and more players would get frustrated with this mode and leave, driving the population even lower.

All other matchmaking systems with 5 man teams work like this.. the only reason some are better towards the middle of the bell curve is if that they have more people playing. MOBAs for example DOTA you can get to around 3.5-4k (top 10-20%) with relatively even distribution of ranking/skill, but pro players if they aren't scrimming and playing random pubs will be 9-11k and get 4ks in their teams sometimes and in general will get like 6-7k average games.

The alternative is massively increased wait times (in DOTA this is an adjustable option, some high tier players take it and their wait times are like 20-80mins for a game).

My problem with your post isn't that you're saying it sucks, obviously it's far from ideal, but that you're blaming Anet without suggesting a reasonable alternative. I've had this debate countless times in other games and if you're a logical reasonable person the conclusion is always the same- either leave, make the point that you would prefer to wait an hour for a decent game, or see carrying games better than the opposition high ranked player as an extra skillset and challenge to take on. The reality of it boils down to that and no amount of finger pointing at Anet will ever change that.

There are some things that Anet could realistically change for the better (like the WvW world matching system), then there are things like this for which gamers have been having debates on various platforms for decades with no solution where you just have to accept the reality.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

/endrant

You lose a match which then causes you to lose rank points. I don’t see what the issue is. Everyone likely feels that they put a lot of effort into a match so should they all be less penalized for a loss too? Top stats are not a great indicator towards performance for a match.

You are missing a small fact. You lose a match because your TEAM was not as good as the other team. You could be the best player in the game, and play your best game ever, and still lose because of your team. You have no say In who’s on your team, and yet you get punished for that.A very kitten system.

@"Filip.7463" said:There is too low player pop. If u are p1, both teams might be p1+g1g1g1g1 so matchmaking is fair and its expected from you to take care over your team

This. You (and your duo queue if you have one) have to play significantly well. It's not ideal. When your MMR is "high" you should expect to lose 20 mmr every game, which is pretty stupid. Makes me wish they capped + /- after 20 games played

@Xentera.4560 said:

/endrant

You are missing a small fact. You lose a match because your TEAM was not as good as the other team. You could be the best player in the game, and play your best game ever, and still lose because of your team. You have no say In who’s on your team, and yet you get punished for that.A very kitten system.

Well it’s a team mode so it’s fairly obvious your team loses because the other team was better. That’s how practically every other team vs team modes work in other games as well. Not sure what this has to do with anything.

How do you know that you were the best player on the team and by what degree?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

/endrant

Well it’s a team mode so it’s fairly obvious your team loses because the other team was better. That’s how practically every other team vs team modes work in other games as well. Not sure what this has to do with anything.

That’s simply factually incorrect. Most team matches in other games just don’t give you any points for losing. As opposed to taking points away from you like in GW2.

As for your second question: top stats should mean something, otherwise just remove them from the game.

@Xentera.4560 said:

/endrant

That simply factually incorrect. Most team matches in other games just don’t give you any points for losing. As opposed to taking points away from you like in GW2.

As for your second question: top stats should mean something, otherwise just remove them from the game.

Those that have a rating system do. Look at Valorant and League of Legends.

You’d hope that too stats would mean something but unfortunately they don’t. Most of them would work if the game mode was pure team death match though.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Xentera.4560 said:Please Compare apples to apples, GW2 is not a MOBA.

As the game stands, top stats should mean something, they are even part of the dailies. Either rework them or remove them completely.

Doesn’t matter when you’re comparing the ratings systems.

Actually it does matter a lot. Why do you think none of the big 5 MMO’s have anything like this? Kitten, even GW1 ( which had a way better rank system btw) doesn’t have anything like this.

@Xentera.4560 said:

@Xentera.4560 said:Please Compare apples to apples, GW2 is not a MOBA.

As the game stands, top stats should mean something, they are even part of the dailies. Either rework them or remove them completely.

Doesn’t matter when you’re comparing the ratings systems.

Actually it does matter a lot. Why do you think none of the big 5 MMO’s have anything like this? Kitten, even GW1 ( which had a way better rank system btw) doesn’t have anything like this.

So just remove the rating system altogether and anyone can be grouped with anyone?

It doesn’t matter when you’re comparing how one game’s rating system works versus another’s. Those two games and this one have a ranking system which is used for matchmaking. Losing a game negatively impacts your ranking in all three.

@Xentera.4560 said:And losing a match does not make u lose rank points in any of the other big 5 MMO’s or in GW2’s predecessor, GW1. I fail to see how 2 MOBA’s deducting points from you for losing is even relevant to this discussion.

Did those games have a ranking system for matchmaking? As I stated before, being an MMO or MOBA doesn’t matter when you’re comparing solely the ranking systems used for matchmaking. It’s no different than comparing the ranking system used for matchmaking for Stronghold vs Conquest vs Team Deathmatch in GW2 if they were all done separately.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Xentera.4560 said:And losing a match does not make u lose rank points in any of the other big 5 MMO’s or in GW2’s predecessor, GW1. I fail to see how 2 MOBA’s deducting points from you for losing is even relevant to this discussion.

Did those games have a ranking system for matchmaking? As I stated before, being an MMO or MOBA doesn’t matter when you’re comparing solely the ranking systems used for matchmaking. It’s no different than comparing the ranking system used for matchmaking for Stronghold vs Conquest vs Team Deathmatch in GW2 if they were all done separately.

Yes, WoW has its own MMR. Happy now?It was a very silly idea to make the MMR in GW2 depend on the average of the party rank points instead grouping ppl with similar ranks together even if it took longer queue times. Having fast matchups should not be the target if the results are one sided kittenfest.

you know what would be cool, is if they introduced mechanics into the algorithm that attempted to balance things out. one example is that if you go on a 5 game losing streak, you get a team next match that is slightly biased for you to win. not by much, and possibly increase it each game after. same thing but reverse if you go on winning streaks. they might already do this idk. people mention top stats often, although they don't mean much in reality most times. that said, i don't think it would be too much of a big deal if you are set to lose -15 or over, for every top stat you get this goes down by one.

i'm sure there are other examples, but the point is to create a more level playing field without too much hand holding.

/endrant

So you don't want to get punished because you're the best player in that matchup? What?