Necro, or revenant?

Dixa.6017

Hello,

Could use some help on a decision here.

I have not done any kid of pvp/wvw in this game since the launched. My desire to pvp kinda fell through as I have been mostly a pve players the last nearly 30 years i've been doing online MUDs and MMORPGS. but oddly as I get older my available time for these games gets less and less, so I want to concentrate on just one class that can do the most possible.

I enjoy the revenant (power renegade specifically) for pve (have never done the raid or any fractals) although at time i find myself just sitting in kalla and not changing legendaries often.I like the necro (power or condition minion master, core or reaper however i despise how the greatsword feels) also for pve but tehre are def some things the necro can't do that the renegade can due to that class' easy access to nearly perma protection.

I wish to dabble in pvp, specifically wvw and will be solo or pugging nearly exclusively. given an average to mediocre player, which of these classes will do better? I don't have a build preference in wvw condition, power, elite spec it wont matter as I will have builds/sets for everything each class can do.

Thanks!

I've been given the impression that for WvW, Revenant is the better option (out of the 2) although can be more difficult to learn to play "effectively". Since you already play on a Revenant, I don't see you having as much of an issue in that regard - that distinction is something I see given to people looking at starting fresh on either.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Both classes are meta zergers, condi rev is one strongest roamers due to torment runes. Necro has seen a massive revival as of late in smallscale too, reaper + lockdown tempest seem to be the new small guild meta.

So pick your poison. You want all classes for WvW anyway.

Uh could you pm me a lockdown temp build? Much appreciated!

@Dawdler.8521 said:Necro has seen a massive revival as of late in smallscale too, reaper + lockdown tempest seem to be the new small guild meta.Any lockdown build would work much better with a shortbow renegade, that spams the hard hitting hybrid attacks from distance.

I am roaming as a duo with an immob deadeye from time to time and this does already feel extremely cheesy and for that reason isn't that much fun to me (but the guy is a deadeye main and one of the very few extremely skilled players on my server, so what should I do). If I imagine I was playing shortbow renegade instead of reaper... ridiculous! That's like punching 5 year old kids. Pick a target and blew it up.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@Dawdler.8521 said:Necro has seen a
massive
revival as of late in smallscale too, reaper + lockdown tempest seem to be the new small guild meta.Any lockdown build would work much better with a shortbow renegade, that spams the hard hitting hybrid attacks from distance.

I am roaming as a duo with an immob deadeye from time to time and this does already feel extremely cheesy and for that reason isn't that much fun to me (but the guy is a deadeye main and one of the very few extremely skilled players on my server, so what should I do). If I imagine I was playing shortbow renegade instead of reaper... ridiculous! That's like punching 5 year old kids. Pick a target and blew it up.And the difference between those setups is that one group pewpew from range while the enemy group simple res whoever is downed and the other group do so much AoE its impossible to get close to a downed thus securing the kill (and probably killing anyone ressing while they are at it).

As a Rev main, I would wholeheartedly recommend the class. Really, the only role it is really lacking legit viability in is support, but most dps builds still offer great secondary support (passive boons with Glint, AoE resistance through Mallyx, stab/damage reduction through Jalis), so even as a selfish build you will still be helping out your teammates. Kalla doesn't really serve much of a role in the context of WvW beyond dueling or really small scale, and Ventari doesn't feel worth the effort since the big balance patch, but beyond that the class feels really great.

However, Necro is a also very popular WvW class and for good reason. It still suffers the same weaknesses as it used to, although I'd argue that the big balance patch made these issues less glaring (with the help of things such as speed runes as well). I don't have enough hours to really say claim any expertise on the class, but i think you'd be happy with either class.

Rev is the better choice as a WvW roamer, though it does have a higher skill cap. One thing I wanted to point out though, you can achieve perma protection on Necromancers really easily by simply taking Death Magic. Honestly, it feels like you haven't really looked into Necro too much, and given your average to mediocre skill level, you would probably perform better as a Necro. But at the same time, you don't seem to like Necromancers as a whole, so you'll probably just enjoy playing Rev more.

for the mattering largescale builds, check the build section @ gw2mists site. has working zergbuilds for scrouge and herald. @Dixa.6017

scrouge has a better direct sustain, if u mash your buttons fast enough, herald has faster and direct damage. scrouge does most dmg over corrupts of enemy boons with a lot big AoEs.

if i want to carry a group, i bring scrouge. as rev u gotta rely on the rest more than scrouge has, since the personal and groupsustain of scrouge is just way stronger.

too many people here comment on roaming, idk. roaming is ganking meta anyways. u build to fight 1v3 kappa

@"Yasai.3549" said:Run core Necro MM.

Kill everything which isn't another sustain build.

Oh don't forget to pop Lich Form when yu have forced yur opponent's cooldowns and watch them whisper "kitten Lich Form balanced 3k damage autos nerf please"

You mean that wants to fight a core necro, wich is none.. And you cant force people to fight you with your slow ass build as I can outwalk you backwards :P

@aspirine.6852 said:

You mean that wants to fight a core necro, wich is none.. And you cant force people to fight you with your slow kitten build as I can outwalk you backwards :P

When yu start going around flipping their camps, a couple of roamers will definitely try to fight.Or they leave yu alone and yu just flip all their camps, win win.

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:for the mattering largescale builds, check the build section @ gw2mists site. has working zergbuilds for scrouge and herald. @"Dixa.6017"

scrouge has a better direct sustain, if u mash your buttons fast enough, herald has faster and direct damage. scrouge does most dmg over corrupts of enemy boons with a lot big AoEs.

if i want to carry a group, i bring scrouge. as rev u gotta rely on the rest more than scrouge has, since the personal and groupsustain of scrouge is just way stronger.

too many people here comment on roaming, idk. roaming is ganking meta anyways. u build to fight 1v3 kappaFun fact:

The term "I got scrouged by a scourge!" is a correct description for getting killed by a minion master scourge.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:for the mattering largescale builds, check the build section @ gw2mists site. has working zergbuilds for scrouge and herald. @"Dixa.6017"

too many people here comment on roaming, idk. roaming is ganking meta anyways. u build to fight 1v3 kappaFun fact:

The term
"I got scrouged by a scourge!"
is a correct description for getting killed by a minion master scourge.

Aktchually, MM scourge with deathmagic (traited for minions) and blood magic (bloodbank GM trait), full trailblazer, kinda doesn't die easily...

@Voltekka.2375 said:

The term
"I got scrouged by a scourge!"
is a correct description for getting killed by a minion master scourge.

Aktchually, MM scourge with deathmagic (traited for minions) and blood magic (bloodbank GM trait), full trailblazer, kinda doesn't die easily...Which has absolutely nothing to do with my fact.

@Shaogin.2679 said:Rev is the better choice as a WvW roamer, though it does have a higher skill cap. One thing I wanted to point out though, you can achieve perma protection on Necromancers really easily by simply taking Death Magic. Honestly, it feels like you haven't really looked into Necro too much, and given your average to mediocre skill level, you would probably perform better as a Necro. But at the same time, you don't seem to like Necromancers as a whole, so you'll probably just enjoy playing Rev more.

the protection inherent to renegade does not require 25 stacks of carapace to get or maintain. it's not the same thing.

@Dixa.6017 said:

@Shaogin.2679 said:Rev is the better choice as a WvW roamer, though it does have a higher skill cap. One thing I wanted to point out though, you can achieve perma protection on Necromancers really easily by simply taking Death Magic. Honestly, it feels like you haven't really looked into Necro too much, and given your average to mediocre skill level, you would probably perform better as a Necro. But at the same time, you don't seem to like Necromancers as a whole, so you'll probably just enjoy playing Rev more.

the protection inherent to renegade does not require 25 stacks of carapace to get or maintain. it's not the same thing.

Dwarf stance with herald gets 100% reduction windows if you need it too. Somebody said rev is low sustain but that's a huge joke. Op made the right choice

@Mixes.7164 said:

Dwarf stance with herald gets 100% reduction windows if you need it too. Somebody said rev is low sustain but that's a huge joke. Op made the right choice

power renegades with a little bit of concentration get 6s of protection with every summon. in pve since you sit in kalla most of the time cycling two summons, you practically always have it. Sustain only takes a hit if i opt to go double SB because then my only source of vuln to stack extra battlescars come from icerazor and the opening shot of combat for the most part but even then it's still a crazy amount of sustain. only sucks on mobs that charge a lot and keep your summons on their backsides.

@Dixa.6017 said:

I constantly sit at 30+ stacks in combat with no effort. You get perma protection just for being in combat, not sure why that isn't the same thing. Perma protection is perma protection, just pointing out that Necromancer has it too.

@Shaogin.2679 said:

I constantly sit at 30+ stacks in combat with no effort. You get perma protection just for being in combat, not sure why that isn't the same thing. Perma protection is perma protection, just pointing out that Necromancer has it too.

it has a ramp up. you aren't applying that many conditions so fast as to have that many stacks at the outset. i do have a necro, don't exaggerate.

I can only discuss pugging in zergs since I don’t roam with either of these professions.

I think Scourge and Herald have similar sustain and mobility if you are playing the meta builds. Scourge has more frequent low damage attacks. This makes it more immune to aegis, but it requires more time and patience to setup a good burst. It’s ground targeted skills are more versatile and handle vertical terrain so it’s better in both structure fights and ranged fights. Scourge provides your group with corrupts and barrier.

Herald has less frequent higher damage attacks. This makes it better at producing downs but it is more susceptible to aegis. The Coalescence of Ruin nerfs wrecked the skill so it’s damage gets negated on walls and vertical terrain. This weakness isn’t an issue in melee since Vengeful Hammers and sword provide excellent damage. Herald provides your team with boons (fury, might, stability, etc) and damage reduction.

@Dixa.6017 said:

it has a ramp up. you aren't applying that many conditions so fast as to have that many stacks at the outset. i do have a necro, don't exaggerate.

The ramp up is max a few seconds, it is still perma protection. Not exaggerating anything here. Look, I get you don't like Necro, you've already made that clear, so I'm not trying to sell you on it. I'm simply pointing out that perma protection is in fact an easily obtainable thing on open world Necro builds, not to mention they are one of the best classes for solo play. Not sure why you're so dead set on denying facts.