Griffon or Skyscale?

@"Solstice.5790" said:I'd say get them both in due time, and figure out which one you like best. None of them, in my opinion, is superior to the other.I think the griffon is more suited as an aerial mount, as I want to be able to fly to cover long distances quickly. When the Skyscale runs out of stamina (which it will if you try to keep your altitude), it goes down just like the griffon - but with way less forward momentum. And the small gains in altitude on short distances can almost always be achieved with a springer, too.In short, the scale to me feels like a swiss army knife of mounts - longer "jumps" than a raptor, decent maneuverability, sufficient speed bursts especially with the masteries... really handy, yet sometimes you just want the perfect tool for a specific job.But, MacGyver wasn't famous for his giant toolbelt... So pick your favorite :)

Yeah, i'm gonna get them both. :smile:If i drop 250g on the priced gw2 collections i could unlock the library, do that and get the griffon today. Skyscale still has 1 timegate, and the grindy saddle part after, so... Idk, might be useful to have a griffon in the meantime, but then again, i'm currently thinking about what to do with my money, i don't want to drop too low as i might not be able to do some stuff for a while if i get the griffon now.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Both Mounts have their usefulness. Skyscale is better for long distance 'Gliding' and can get more altitude by clinging to a surface and jumping, whereas the Griffon can dive for speed and reclimb to get altitude again.

Skyscale really is more general purpose and useful, but if speed really is needed then the Griffon works best. That and Griffon Diving for speed leads to some really fun flying.

Consider Skyscale your 'legendary' mount and your Griffon as your 'ascended' mount (I'd throw the roller beetle in there as well as an ascended mount for how quick it is on land).

All things considered each mount has its usefulness where they shine, and you should get all of them eventually.

Nice! :smile: I'll end up getting all of them now and yeah, each mount has its uses. The most useful to me i think has been the Bunny! It's amazing how such an "early" mount will still be relevant later. Speaks volumes on the great design of the mounts! I mean, even when i had the borrowed skyscale mount in Dragonfall, i still used the Springer a lot of the times. The least one i use is the jackal but only because it's so specific that i don't know where to use it instead of just using the Raptor. Unless there's a sand portal, Raptor is almost always better. Jackal is basically reduced to "a thing you use to enter portals", and there's not many of those around. I wish they could implement more uses for it, some sand roads like in PoF, those are amazing, running on sand so high up! But criminally underused.

I already got the beetle and i'ts literally amazing how fast i can get to places with it! Sometimes i drift wrong and end up splat in a wall or off a cliff but that's the fun of it. :tongue: In more flat maps, it's THE mount to use! Amazing mount! I ended up using it more than i thought i would. I thought i'd get it for completion sake, but now it's my go to mount!

Plus, i know i'll use other mounts as well when i get the griffon and skycale. Probably less, but they did make sure that the flying ones won't invalidate the ground ones and that's admirable.

Jackal really is the least useful mount. Raptor is useful when you have gaps to go over, or lots of flat land with obstacles. Skimmer for bodies of water. Beetle for vroom vroom. Bunny can still scale heights faster than Skyscale, Griffon for vroom vroom in the air. However, Skyscale is all around useful everywhere.

Disagree with jackal. It really depends on the terrain, though. I find that the raptor doesn't manage inclines very well.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Both Mounts have their usefulness. Skyscale is better for long distance 'Gliding' and can get more altitude by clinging to a surface and jumping, whereas the Griffon can dive for speed and reclimb to get altitude again.

Skyscale really is more general purpose and useful, but if speed really is needed then the Griffon works best. That and Griffon Diving for speed leads to some really fun flying.

Consider Skyscale your 'legendary' mount and your Griffon as your 'ascended' mount (I'd throw the roller beetle in there as well as an ascended mount for how quick it is on land).

All things considered each mount has its usefulness where they shine, and you should get all of them eventually.

Nice! :smile: I'll end up getting all of them now and yeah, each mount has its uses. The most useful to me i think has been the Bunny! It's amazing how such an "early" mount will still be relevant later. Speaks volumes on the great design of the mounts! I mean, even when i had the borrowed skyscale mount in Dragonfall, i still used the Springer a lot of the times. The least one i use is the jackal but only because it's so specific that i don't know where to use it instead of just using the Raptor. Unless there's a sand portal, Raptor is almost always better. Jackal is basically reduced to "a thing you use to enter portals", and there's not many of those around. I wish they could implement more uses for it, some sand roads like in PoF, those are amazing, running on sand so high up! But criminally underused.

I already got the beetle and i'ts literally amazing how fast i can get to places with it! Sometimes i drift wrong and end up splat in a wall or off a cliff but that's the fun of it. :tongue: In more flat maps, it's THE mount to use! Amazing mount! I ended up using it more than i thought i would. I thought i'd get it for completion sake, but now it's my go to mount!

Plus, i know i'll use other mounts as well when i get the griffon and skycale. Probably less, but they did make sure that the flying ones won't invalidate the ground ones and that's admirable.

Jackal really is the least useful mount. Raptor is useful when you have gaps to go over, or lots of flat land with obstacles. Skimmer for bodies of water. Beetle for vroom vroom. Bunny can still scale heights faster than Skyscale, Griffon for vroom vroom in the air. However, Skyscale is all around useful everywhere.

Disagree with jackal. It really depends on the terrain, though. I find that the raptor doesn't manage inclines very well.

Hmm, never really tried the jackal on inclines. Raptor with no jumping manages inclines for me just fine, had no reason to try anything else honestly.And since i got the roller beetle, i use raptor even less. I just use it if i need to jump far and in citites, but that's about it. :tongue:But i still use it more than the Jackal, idk, they should maybe put in more uses for the jackal.Or maybe increase its speed a little bit to be faster on flat ground or inclinces than the raptor, that would make it more usable.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Hmm, never really tried the jackal on inclines. Raptor with no jumping manages inclines for me just fine, had no reason to try anything else honestly.And since i got the roller beetle, i use raptor even less. I just use it if i need to jump far and in citites, but that's about it. :tongue:But i still use it more than the Jackal, idk, they should maybe put in more uses for the jackal.Or maybe increase its speed a little bit to be faster on flat ground or inclinces than the raptor, that would make it more usable.

Jackal is only slightly slower than the raptor, which I believe is by design. Personally, I find it a lot easier to control so it is quite useful for me. Just goes to show that players can have different preferences for things, which is cool.

Much like others, though, the skyscale is my primary choice. I may not always get there first, but I will get there and enjoy the trip. :)

@kharmin.7683 said:Jackal is only slightly slower than the raptor, which I believe is by design. Personally, I find it a lot easier to control so it is quite useful for me. Just goes to show that players can have different preferences for things, which is cool.

Jackal run speed is actually slightly faster than Raptor without abilities. Jackal 625 u/s, Raptor 600 u/s. With the blink/jump I think they are equal in the long run. Raptor a bit burstier. I base this on races where I was racing many times head to head, jackal vs raptor and were very close at the end, sometimes I won sometimes I lost.

I prefer Jackal due to more frequent blink ability and being faster on the incline (raptor is inherently slower runner and it's ability is useless on the incline). Raptor can gain more altitude.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Jackal is only slightly slower than the raptor, which I believe is by design. Personally, I find it a lot easier to control so it is quite useful for me. Just goes to show that players can have different preferences for things, which is cool.

Much like others, though, the skyscale is my primary choice. I may not always get there first, but I will get there and enjoy the trip. :)

Indeed, the mounts cover a lot of tastes. Sometimes, especially when there's uneven terrain, i just hop along on my Springer haha. :tongue:But yeah, i imagine i'll probably fly a lot as well when i get my skyscale. :wink:

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Indeed, the mounts cover a lot of tastes. Sometimes, especially when there's uneven terrain, i just hop along on my Springer haha. :tongue:But yeah, i imagine i'll probably fly a lot as well when i get my skyscale. :wink:

Even on land on my skyscale I hop up and use the dodge for a speed burst. Swapping mounts is meh. If it could swap between them with no down time then that would be great.

Even on land on my skyscale I hop up and use the dodge for a speed burst. Swapping mounts is meh. If it could swap between them with no down time then that would be great.

Yeah, that recharge is sometimes really annoying. I wonder why it's there though... I can't really think of a good reason for it. Weird.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Yeah, that recharge is sometimes really annoying. I wonder why it's there though... I can't really think of a good reason for it. Weird.

It would be a great QOL improvement if we could switch between mounts without having to first completely dismount then remount. I think people would use more of the mounts more often rather than sitting on one particular mount 95% of the time. I know I would.

It would be a great QOL improvement if we could switch between mounts without having to first completely dismount then remount. I think people would use more of the mounts more often rather than sitting on one particular mount 95% of the time. I know I would.

Oh, that would indeed be great! I wonder if they'll ever make that happen.

Yes, the number of times I have accidentally hit the keybind for one, when I wasn't thinking. This is not helpful when you wanted your griffon for speed, but accidentally called up your skyscale :(

If you say griffon is useless you can't handle it. That thing is crazy good if you know how it has to be controlled. It's fast and it can rise and sink endless times as long as you don't drive it into the ground, which is your fault then.

Yes you need some elevation to get started, but to get there is what the springer is for. This takes 10 seconds.

@KrHome.1920 said:If you say griffon is useless you can't handle it. That thing is crazy good if you know how it has to be controlled. It's fast and it can rise and sink endless times as long as you don't drive it into the ground, which is your fault then.

Yes you need some elevation to get started, but to get there is what the springer is for. This takes 10 seconds.A Koenigsegg Agera RS is also crazy good, but I prefer a Volvo XC60 as a daily driver.

Nobody has said the griffon is useless, its just that the skyscale is so much more flexible for general world traversal it become an extension of your characters movements, rather than being used for specific travel it replaces all the mounts. Most of the time you're not doing long sprints.

Here she is! :smiley:

dIuCRBC.jpgHyIDVIX.jpeg

Thank you to all who commented, gave advice and helped me on my journey! :smile:

I have to say, this was one of the more fun collections i did, except the grindy map currency part, but that didn't take too long thankfully because i had some saved up from WvW reward tracks, and was able to get the rest while waiting for time gated parts. But most of that currency came naturally while playing, you get some for map completion, hearts, events on some maps so it's not that bad all in all, just a "bit grindy". Would probably be a lot more grind if i hadn't done the WvW reward tracks but the funny thing is - i did those for other rewards lol, not map currency, that was just a byproduct! :tongue:

Some breakdown of the collections and my thoughts here:

Newborn skyscales - that was a fun runaround set of collections, had me really acquainted with the Dragonfall map which i appreciated later. And boy did i appreciate my Springer here as well as Oakheart's Reach and Bond of Faith. I think i couldn't have gotten most of the items without the ability to launch myself off the Springer and glide to where the item is. You were right by saying those are useful, and i'm glad they included LS3 masteries in Dragonfall, helped me a lot! And now i understand why Crystal Champion masteries are so important to have!

Saving skyscales - another runaround one, but i enjoyed how you need to do different things for each element and stuff. Nice and chill!

Raising skyscales - The only really time gated one (except the 2 hours between collections). I honestly didn't mind it as i could use that down time to collect map currencies, work on my Griffon and do events for volatile magic. This is probably why there's a time gate in the first place, so you can save up some currencies that you'll need for later. The items themselves were easy enough to get though, but i had like 90% of the materials for food and grow lamp already, just needed to do some Dry top for the recipe, the rest was just crafting. Didn't buy anything off TP. Dragonfall Meta is annoying without flying mounts though... But that's a problem i'll never have to face again. :tongue:

Troublesome skyscales - the only "issue" i had is with Skyscale lost where you have to do events for them. It's great when that's a Mark II golem world boss, but not when you have to do some obscure event that no one plays like Branded Ley-Line anomaly. I sat there for half an hour with a mentor tag, then some player appeared, opened the chest with the boss and logged out. Leaving me to fight the thing alone and it was not fun for the first 30% of the health, it also took about half an hour with the damage sponge that he is. I don't understand the logic behind this event, does it even scale? I was the only one there, it would have taken me 2 hours to bring him down solo. The boss itself is super easy, i just strafed left and right out of the 3 hour long telegraphs for his attacks, but man is he tanky. Eventually some people showed up and we killed the boss easier. That was the only "meh" part... They should scale that boss better so it doesn't take so long to kill him, and my damage isn't that bad, he's just that tanky. I suppose i could have used the free treat, but i sold it for some Griffon money, and i wanted to do the collection without the treats anyway. If you don't want to deal with the anomaly, use the treat there and save yourself the trouble. But the rest of the jumping puzzles and mount spots were fun to get to. That i liked.After that, playing with the skyscale was also fun, added a bit of immersion that the rest of the mounts don't really have. Except Petey. :wink:

Riding skyscales - this is the grindy part that i thankfully kinda skipped, but people who spent their currency and then got to the part and only now have to get all of them - yeah, kinda annoying. :tongue: This could have been another collection that gives you 25-50 currency per item found/event done, and by the time you're done with it you'd have enough to purchase the saddle parts. Would have been more fun to have to do events for the collection and that it gives you currency than just farming but whatever, it wasn't so bad for me.

All in all, it definitely is an incredible amount of work for a mount but man was it worth it!!! I just got the mount today, and only finished the first mastery and i definitely see what everyone was talking about!!! It's SOOOO GOOOD! I thought, when people said it loses altitude and can't "really" fly, i was a bit iffy about that, but i have to say, i'm pleasantly surprised. You can basically glide through the entire map in one go, especially with the Bond of Vigor mastery, refreshing it's altitude meter here and there. As long as you fly straight, it doesn't lose that much altitude, much less than an unmastered griffon does, and you can even fly up and stuff. Did some metas in PoF, Casino event and Bloodstone Fen to test it out. It definitely is THE mount to have! Even events that don't exactly require a lot of manuverability like Casino, it's just so much easier to get from A to B, and it controls so good! Crystal Champion mastery helps a LOT in making it fly further. Practically cut my Bloodstone Fen farming by half!!! No more seeking updrafts and obtuse roundabout routes to get to the nodes! The QoL i got with the Skyscale is insane!

I thought i'd never have a Skyscale because i heard the horror stories on how difficult and expensive it is to obtain. For the longest time i didn't even consider getting it, i tought i'd just have to do without it, but i'm glad i did it, and it wasn't even that bad. Except the grindy part with the Saddle, the rest was pretty fun! :smile:

Griffin is done for a while now, just have to make some money for the bought items and i'll have all the mounts! :smile:

@medivh.4725 said:I don't even want to or dare start the skyscale after noticing its list of requirements and quest? Just insane

I thought that too, but you know what, it's totally worth it. You won't know how much until you have it, but definitely make it your long term goal, you'll be glad you did it!

• 3 weeks later...

Gratz on getting the Skyscale! I am doing everything in release order. Got the Griffon first. And you explained how you liked your Springer in Dragonfall ... for me the Griffon was even more helpful there. He he.

The thing with the currency farm probably depends on the playstyle. For me it only will be (once I get to that part, currently finished just the Newborn Skyscales) buying those items. Cause I have gotten the currency just normally while doing the achievements in those other maps. (Spent some time there instead of rushing.) Dragonfall actually feels the most boring/grindy with only the meta to grind.

I guess it depends on the player and what he needs/wants. (People here helped you and this might be a nice reference for other new players that find this thread.) Also how fast you can accumulate gold. (Cause the Griffon costs a lot of gold in a short amount of time. People that have lots of gold might just go for the Griffon first. Because if you have the gold there is not much to grind there. Just a few events.)

On the length of collections for Skyscale: From what I have read in the wiki ... the later ones will be more fun. First one (Newborn) felt a bit grindy too me. Cause it was onyl collecting items in the map. (The most boring type of content.) And a lot of it without other stuff in between.

Here I even did the feeding of the medicine and gathering of the scales without guide though. Helped to get used to the map a bit - like you explained already. Eggs though ... I would not recommend it to anyone to do that without a guide.

Players playing strictly without using guides cause they want to find everything by themselves might have a hard and frustrating time there. I gave up after looking for half an hour for the 3th or 4th egg ... until the guide made me find it easily and I noticed that I flew past there a few times. The yellow item name didn't appear though ... must need you to get much closer than the scales needed to see them. Also the hints are more vague. Basically just the overall region.

There is always to remember: When this content was new (no guides yet) lots of players played this map since it was the latest map then. And they probably helped each other when everyone was doing the Skyscale and looking for stuff. So using guides when playing now ... is just fine I guess.

@Luthan.5236 said:Gratz on getting the Skyscale! I am doing everything in release order. Got the Griffon first. And you explained how you liked your Springer in Dragonfall ... for me the Griffon was even more helpful there. He he.

The thing with the currency farm probably depends on the playstyle. For me it only will be (once I get to that part, currently finished just the Newborn Skyscales) buying those items. Cause I have gotten the currency just normally while doing the achievements in those other maps. (Spent some time there instead of rushing.) Dragonfall actually feels the most boring/grindy with only the meta to grind.

I guess it depends on the player and what he needs/wants. (People here helped you and this might be a nice reference for other new players that find this thread.) Also how fast you can accumulate gold. (Cause the Griffon costs a lot of gold in a short amount of time. People that have lots of gold might just go for the Griffon first. Because if you have the gold there is not much to grind there. Just a few events.)

On the length of collections for Skyscale: From what I have read in the wiki ... the later ones will be more fun. First one (Newborn) felt a bit grindy too me. Cause it was onyl collecting items in the map. (The most boring type of content.) And a lot of it without other stuff in between.

Here I even did the feeding of the medicine and gathering of the scales without guide though. Helped to get used to the map a bit - like you explained already. Eggs though ... I would not recommend it to anyone to do that without a guide.

Players playing strictly without using guides cause they want to find everything by themselves might have a hard and frustrating time there. I gave up after looking for half an hour for the 3th or 4th egg ... until the guide made me find it easily and I noticed that I flew past there a few times. The yellow item name didn't appear though ... must need you to get much closer than the scales needed to see them. Also the hints are more vague. Basically just the overall region.

There is always to remember: When this content was new (no guides yet) lots of players played this map since it was the latest map then. And they probably helped each other when everyone was doing the Skyscale and looking for stuff. So using guides when playing now ... is just fine I guess.

Ah yes, the Griffon would definitely have come in handy. :tongue:But since i didn't hae it, the bunny was the MVP. :smile:

As for the currency, yeah, depends. I had most of it from the start, so i didn't have to farm 3 maps at all due to getting it from WvW. Other than that, i think the point of the time gate where your Skyscale grows up is to give you time to farm currency in the meantime. Like you said, there's nothing to do so you might as well farm and do events.

And yeah, i too used a guide, i have no qualms about that. It's my time, and i'd rather not spend days just finding the eggs or sick Skyscales or whatever. The rest was more or less straightforward though.

Good luck on your journey! Now that i have it, i can't remember what it was even like without it, it's SO good! No wonder they made the process a bit lenghty and a bit grindy, it's basically a Legendary mount!

Thanks.

You might be right about the timegate. Though I think back then when it was released people might not have known about the later stuff (that later lots of map currency is required).

I think you also could see it as "forcing you to take a break" - after the lengthy collection stuff. I guess most find this the most exhausting. If they did rush directly through the next parts withou a timegate ... even more people would complain about it being grindy ha ha.

Though most threads that complain seem to be about the saddle and that map currency ... I still think the majority of the players will dislike the first steps more. The ones complaining in the forums are only a minority of players. As you said: From the reward tracks you also can get a lot of that currency. (I tried to do every reward track once in WvW/PvP ... which should give 100 - 50 per track per currency.) A lot might also enjoy those s4 maps and doing other stuff while getting the currency.

I mean: They are not really complicated. Even without griffon (springer is enough) I guess it would not feel too painful to play normally there to get some of the other achievements. Then you can do hearts, nodes, meta. (Not only one of these. Some recommend to make tons of chars and do the hearts repeatedly with each char. Of course that would feel grindy if you do it multiple times a day in the same map.) There is also the recommendation to go to Icebrood to farm for Eternal Ice to convert it into s4 currency. (Which I did not do on purpose since I want to play in release order because of the story.) A lot of options.

The main grind feeling probably comes from new players wanting to rush the Skyscale. Cause it is recommended by other players. And cause they want to go to the latest map. (Where they might be too slow if others with the Skyscale are farming in the latest maps and are moving much faster when a squad/commander is tagging up.) This might also be a bit the fault of ArenaNet ... but I guess they need that advertising to keep the game interesting: It focuses on putting expansions on sale when there is new story content (Icebrood) ... trying to advertise this latest story chapters even to new players. (Wanting them to go straight there.)

So they go there. See everyone with the Skyscale. Think "now I have to get the Skyscale before I can start playing the game". Doing the grind ... geting bored.Forgetting (or not even getting to know) that ... in GW2 you can do most content in the earlier maps without mount (and later only with the mounts/gliding intended to be used there) and with exotics gear.

Other than your typical gear treadmill game where it is "go to dungeon 1 farm it 100 times to get better gear to be able to to dungeon 2 / go to dungeon 2, farm it 200 1imtes" and so on.

@kharmin.7683 said:

100% this, until you get the skyscale, Jackal is the most and best all rounded mounth.The dash is not impacted by ground inclinaison and will always get the same distance.You can also use the dash in the air, which as allow me many time to follow people on their flying mount to get to a point A to B.This mount always so poorly used by people will it can do so much..

For @OP : Skyscale is the best one when it come to be usefull.Griffon is the most fun once you master it.Griffon is faster to get, Skyscale is longer but the way you get it, like a little adventure and raising your own little dragon tend to made me more attached to the skyscale ^^

Your choice !

@Orack.9756 said:

100% this, until you get the skyscale, Jackal is the most and best all rounded mounth.The dash is not impacted by ground inclinaison and will always get the same distance.You can also use the dash in the air, which as allow me many time to follow people on their flying mount to get to a point A to B.This mount always so poorly used by people will it can do so much..

For @OP : Skyscale is the best one when it come to be usefull.Griffon is the most fun once you master it.Griffon is faster to get, Skyscale is longer but the way you get it, like a little adventure and raising your own little dragon tend to made me more attached to the skyscale ^^

Your choice !

I already got the Skyscale, i posted the screenshots so yeah, i know what the adventure looked like. :smile:But i liked it, i liked collecting the stuff, crafting treats and food, then raising it, it was a lot of fun!I also liked the Beetle collections, kinda gives those mounts more personality than just - here's the thing, you'll need it to go from A to B like you acquire the "common" mounts.

And indeed, @kharmin.7683 , i took your advice and now the Jackal is my go to mount for inclines! It doesn't slow down unlike other mounts, even Warclaw slows down when going on an incline! And the teleport works on an incline too! Nice!

Thanks for suggesting the Jackal, i probably wouldn't have used it beyond portals, but now it has another niche, and i use it more!I mean, even skyscale isn't "great" when you're just trying to climb a slope and not go in the air, cause you basically just fly/land/fly/land along the slope lol, Jackal is much more smooth there!